It's not on the buyer in any case because if we enter in an agrement for goods in exchange for payment and the payment was made regardless of the method, then the seller needs to deliver the goods. There is no grey area, the payment was made, the seller has the money. Buyer has no goods, seller needs to ensure the goods are delivered or refund issued. If the seller wants to play the "you didn't get insurance" game, then the buyer should say "you chose a subpar courier service". I have zero tolerance for this kind of fuckery, and I buy insurance anyway whether the buyer pays for it or not because I accept the responsibility to get the goods to the buyer and know the mail service providers don't give 2 shits about customer packages.

1 rule: Don't fuck with other people's money.

This seems to have gotten lost cause people don't get their asses beat anymore for pulling bullshit like this.

Edit: Also, seller tried to place the onus of buying insurance on the buyer, when in fact the seller is the one who trusted the courier to ship without insurance.

On all other selling platforms it is the seller's responsibilty to up to the point of delivery regardless of insurance. Ive been on eBay for 24 years 2000+ transactions and have 300+ transactions on Reverb in the last 2 years. I've seen and experienced it all from both sides. The seller is being an asshole because he knows there's no way for you to get the money back without his approval. If he doesnt give it back I would post his info so no one else has to deal with this person.

The 4hp Disting interface is terrible. Get the bigger one so you atleast dont have to pull out the manual every time you wanna change it up.

A lot of the records back then were made with old ROMplers and samplers like DMX, DX, LinnDrum, 707, RZ-1, S950, SP1200 etc. So honestly beyond 808/909 you probably just need a sampler module and Sample From Mars all the drums which always goes on sale every Black Friday for I wanna say like under $50 which all sound awesome and has more drums than you could ever need.

I have 100+ improvised techno jams that essentially documented my modular journey. Modular is very individualistic, but maybe I can makes some recommendations that would save you some time and money. I have also circulated over $100,000 of modules over the last 3-4 years, I've had everything from a full set of Mannequins, QMMF-4...a bunch of stuff, more modules than anyone could ever want or need. The goal of my rig was to be able to walk up to it and go.

These are my favs from the whole thing:
Mixer: WMD performance mixer (V2 is coming out by the end of the year and it blows V1 outta the water it's a gamechanger)
Bass drum: Modbase09mkii into Fold6. I also like Bass Drum 2 alot.
Hats: The best hat will be the AMMT Hi hat no contest. Patching Panda Hatz v2 was great for analog hat. I used Pico Drums for hat samples.
Snare: I preferred an analog 808 and used the Noisy Fruit Lab 808 snare
Clap: Erica Clap, could get to a the more minimal side with an envelope/vca
Ride: Started with Erica Cymbals, but accomplished the same with Pico Drums.
Toms: Erica Toms or Pico Drums cause all of the toms modules are huge.
Lead Voice: Piston Honda MKIII, Verbos Complex OSC. Erica Bassline for 303.
Sub Bass: SY0.5
Delay: Sarajewo (this is one of my fav modules all time, sounds incredible)
Reverb: FX Aid, Desmodus Versio
Master bus: TriTone for EQ+ Saturation, Overseer/SCLPL for DJ filter, MSCL master bus compression.
Other: Natural Gate, Sinc Bucina, Kermit MKIII.
Pitch Sequencer: Ornament and Crime with Logarythm branch of Hemipshere Suite running TB3P0 (random instant 303 sequences). I would've been interested to check out the Precision Disruptor, but didn't get a chance. This would likely be better than the TB3P0, but of course is huge.
Drum sequencer: Metron, Varigate 4 or 8, Erica Drum Sequencer
Master clock: Pam's Pro

I went from a 104 7u to 18U of Doepfer Monster cases, and have used as little as 42hp 4u to accomplish the same things, drums, voices, mastering and all. It's all in the playlist. This is all Detroit/Acid techno kinda vibes sometimes minimal. My approach was to do it as fast as possible to jam every day. I think the modules you get will depend on your goals. Do you want a noodle box for sounds or do you want to smash out beats? I've heard a lot of modulat techno setups, but I always chased a heavy sound...it had to be fat. The most fun I had was exploiting modules to their max like Pamela's Pro Workout and Kermit. I could sequence drums AND synth voices with Pam's. Did you know there's a way to turn Pam's into a Turing Machine? Stuff like that...The biggest mistake was buying a new module to solve a new problem, when I in fact had solutions already in my setup.

It's very individualistic, but the only way to truly know is to have a module in your case and patch it up. There's no reason to buy all of the stuff at once either. I listen back and I preferred my sound back when it was stripped down vs the monster setup. You said you have Octatrack already, try and use that for drums to start with and then just get a Pam's and build up a synth voice to your liking and see how that goes and expand from there. That was the best part! Hope this helps best of luck!

"this is probably unrealistic... you may be able to achieve a small subset of what he does, but generally people have large cases for a reason... one of which is being able to run multiple voices and effects chains at once - which you won't really be able to do in a small case"

I would have to politely disagree here as far as size of case goes cause you can achieve this sound with a relatively small setup

Have been down this road before. If you don't have Mito you should check out this module by Robotdogmusic the Improbable Sequence Generator

I've used a Fold6 with drive at 50% and fold just barely on to get kicks to punch specifically a ModBase09 mk2 through around 80 of 90 multi-hour techno streams. This worked well for 909 style kicks. I tried with a Unicorn Boom (808) and didn't like that much, but through a 100 Grit it got a super fat sound. So it all depends. I also use 2x TriTones with a smile curve on the master and this really helps out to get the hats, kick and sub to sound huge.

Yup, happened again just now too...can't get a /W for nothin...

Lack of vactrols is the issue. Have seen a few go for around 220. This isn't too unreasonably all things considered.

Sinc Bucina is highly underrated.

Same. Also, happened last time too. I got a 3 Sis through the lottery system...that was cool. The shopping carts should be limited to 1 per and also have a timer on them. I'm tired of fighting with cart systems and I'm pretty sure the wizzes out there have automated the whole thing too. Same thing happened at Control Mod and Control Voltage when they got stock. Sold out within 30 seconds and it didn't matter if you had it in your cart.

Oh sick! Dude, thanks for the info on those that’s really helpful! Also, I have a Beads, Kammerl surely offers more in the beat repeat sector ya?

Looking at picking up a Clouds/clone to run Kammerl firmware on. Hard to tell which version is the most comfortable to tweak without having them all in front of me so turning to your recommendations. I hate trimmers, but if it's for set and forget stuff like gain in, output level, wet/dry, then it's fine. Looking at uBurst from Momo, Typhoon, and Monsoon from Michigan Synth Works. Or maybe even just an OG Clouds. Thanks for your insight!

I just sold a Palette 62, and I loved it. Great case. And the limitation drove me to squeeze every drop out of modules.

I’m pretty sure the depth is the same throughout. I have a 2hp play I wish I could test the size for you.

Never had a Zadar, but it does indeed seem like a great module.

The only thing I’m curious about is the clock. Are you planning on modulating it? If not I’d just run off an LFO off your other modules, and I would expand to the 6hp FX Aid as it has more CV and also you CV its sample rate. I run both the 4hp and 6hp versions and the 4hp gets used as set and forget verb cause the knobs are pretty tight. 6hp much more tweakable. Can’t go wrong with either though super sick modules. For either you will have to use a power cable without the clip on the top to make it fit which you can just pull off if needed.

Hope that helps!

Before you get a Mimetic Digitalis try setting your Pam's to 4x, stepped random wave, and loop length to CV1. You can send 0V and it will just generate random steps, but then increase voltage to lock it in a loop. Then back to 0V for Turing Machine style random stepped voltage. You also have additional control with Pam's attenuator, offset, etc. But that's only if you want the shred functionality of Mimetic which is all I used it for until I figured out that thing with Pam's. If you want to dial in sequences, well that's a different story.

Check the height of the Palette cause the 2hp modules are tall.

If you are going to be tweaking your filter I'd get something like C4RBON with actual pots and not trimmers. Also, more versatile.

Micro Ornament and Crime would be great in a small setup like this, worth a look.

I LOVE Palette challenges! This is a rig I did and yeah it's for techno, but there's a way to set up Pam's so that you can use the CV in to change the loop length and you effectively end up with Turing Machine style generative patterns. Couple that with Euclidean for some fun. Add a Ladik Dual Probability Skipper for even more variation. You can also use Pam's in the same way to generate quantized CV patterns!

Also, for 1U take a look at the Mosaic 1U drums...they are really good. I use the Bass Drum and their Low Pass as a sub bass sometimes in addition to normal drum duties.

@modnico What are you going for? Do you have a budget? Do you want a big case eventually to do other stuff and grow into? Do you want generated sequences, do you want to program sequences? Lots of questions before could recommend something to fit your needs.

I've used this mixer for a few years and here are some things that I really like about it.

The aux sends are indeed mono, however, I use the 2x stereo channels for stereo returns. This is common practice to only use a mono send for a delay and reverb in the hardware world even for a stereo signal. I use a Sarajewo delay for aux 1 and return the separate delay taps to A and B to get the widening. Sound amazing. For the 2nd aux, I use an FX Aid as a set and forget verb and change up the algorithms to get different timbres. Also sounds great.

Since the aux returns are freed up on the top left corner of the mixer I use one to play ambiance, in my case, a vinyl crackle from 2hp loop. You could use it though for a sub-mix. You also have another set of mix inputs for an additional sub-mix.

The A-B switches effectively double your inputs and I usually will attenuate one of the inputs externally and use the gain control for the other. Sometimes, it's not needed if modules just happened to be balanced already. An example setup is I use an Erica Hats D in the A input and control the gain there, and for B input I sub-mix Erica Drums1, Mosaic 1u Hats, and Patching Panda hats into a Mosaic 1U mixer and that mixer out goes into the B input. I can just adjust the individual hats volumes on the 1U mixer and flip to A to mute the Mosaic hats group if needed.

Each channel has CV over its VCA and panning. I use an inverted envelope to "duck" channels where needed. This is tricky though cause unless you have an envelope with inverted outputs already you have to do some things to get it to the right voltage, shape etc. Something to note is the Channels expander has CV over the gain of stereo channels it adds in addition to the VCAs, which is not the case on the main module. Comes in handy.

You can use the cue output as a send too and do tricks with that.

A huge feature only found on a few outboard mixers is a master fx send and return. I personally have a mastering chain consisting of Happy Nerding TriTone for EQ and saturation, WMD SCLPL setup for DJ style filtering, and a WMD MSCL compressor set as a limiter.

Lastly, is the ability to run line-level gear in conjunction with modular gear without the need for attenuators or line-in modules.

I also use the DB25 expander for the individual outputs, though, one downside is that the outputs are pre-fader. Good for samples, but not so much for capturing performances and being able to mix them in the DAW later. I just use the stereo outs of the mixer which go through both the main module outputs and the DB25 outputs at the same time, which means cabling can be flexible and you can record with a secondary backup device too.

My wishlist for it.
-The current Mutes module adds mute buttons, but also CV over the aux sends on channels 1-4. I just want a 2hp module that allows CV over the aux sends which is totally doable and maybe even DIY as WMD has mentioned I could ask for the pinouts.
-Clickless muting for the Mutes module. On both the Mutes and the Overseer you can get clicks. I'm not sure what goes into this, but I know it's possible because Happy Nerding has a Mutes module that doesn't click as it only engages or disengages at the zero-crossing or fades in and out (IDK, I'm no EE).
-This is personal, but I would like a set of inputs like the mix-in to sum post master inserts.
-Lastly, sometimes I have to attenuate modules before they go into the mixer because the level is so hot it's clipping the mixer already with no gain. I suspect this is because of the amount of gain they have dialed in to accommodate line-level gear. Would be cool if this was switchable on the back (I hope I'm not missing something on this).

All in all, it's pretty incredible how much went into this mixer. It just does so much more than its size lets on and though it's a good amount of HP in the rack, there's no other way to get this much functionality in that same space.

I highly recommend it.

I use Hats D for 909 ish hats. Mosaic 1U hi hat is really nice and sits somewhere between 808, cr78. PP hatz v3 are indeed nice for white noise style hats with control over “metallic” sound.

For samples Pico Drums has 2 sample triggers and 1 can choke the other if you have the switch set to do so. You can also CV the built in envelope and get even more mileage. I would take Pico Drums over 2hp hats. I use 2 of them in fact.

Dope, ya that's what I was thinking too.

Yo how do you like the TipTop909 hats? I use the Erica Hats D at the moment.

I'm down to throw down

I try to keep things grouped in sections by functionality and place the things that get tweaked the most closest to me (same idea mentioned above). I’m usually sitting for sessions and streams, and have tried a few arrangements where things were being tweaked up high and my shoulder would hurt after 10 minutes so settled on this.

I prefer the bottom case angled as opposed to vertical cases, but it hasn't been too bad having a top vertical case (Intellijel stack).

1U-Drums
3U-Drums, Master processing
3U-Voices, send and return fx
1U-Utility
3U-Filters, envelopes, mixer
3U-Sequencers

ModularGrid Rack