@Ronin1973
Thanks, I'm only using the DAW these days to record, mix and master, with composition happening on hardware. That said, I know most things can be done in the DAW, and that's how I used to work, but I feel like I enjoy hardware a lot more. Now, as for the modules not making sense, I've followed the advice and updated the rack.

@nickgreenberg
Thanks so much for all of these tips. I've heavily updated the rack based on them. I think my proportions of voicing, CV, utility and others is much more on point now.
- As much as the Bitbox micro was appealing, I've decided that it's more of a priority to have the VCOs for the voices. I've also dumped the Cloud Terrarium in favor of much simpler (and smaller) Erica wavetable VCO and Joranalogue Fold. It's a compromise but I guess it makes more sense in this build.
- I've added the Quadrax and expander as suggested, as well as Doepfer LFOs. As for sequencing, I'm not sure I have the space for anything bigger than the Ornament and Crime, but I do plan to get some sequencing going from the Digitone through FH-2.
- Also, as well as the Links which was aready there, I've added the Miso and a 3xMIA. Does the Maths make more sense in the current context?
- As for the ES-8, I can see it being really cool for having so much IO, but I'm not really using the DAW that much, and feel like the FH-2 is much more important in order to make the most of Digitone's MIDI sequencer. As for the OUT, do you mean the Listen Four? What are the advantages other than the embedded mixer? It's 8HP more than the Befaco so it would have to be at the expense of maybe the 3xMIA and the Buff.
- Haha I've been doing exactly that, checking out the forum for other starter racks and trying to learn as much as possible.

@plragde
As for the Cloud terrarium, I think it's Hiro Kone's main eurorack voice and I had a look at some videos and it just seems very capable at making unusual waves and creating textures that evolve over time. Let's just say I know the Erica wavetable VCO is a significant downgrade. The reason for the Plonk was to use it more for stringy platey sounds than drums, and to run it through the beads for granular stuff, but I can see there is no space for it. The polyvoks is just a filter I have come to absolutely love through the DB-01 but you're perhaps right that it might be better to get a different sounding filter. Sampling will definitely be done out of this system, if at all, I can see now that it didn't make all that sense. Finally, would you swap the Maths for MI Stages or something else?

Thanks again!

ModularGrid Rack

Almost a year later and the modular bug has returned. I've figured I can fit a Mantis on my desk, which allows for double the space I was initially counting on. I also followed Lugia's advice and played around with VCV Rack and can't wait to get on with the real deal. Please bear in mind that although I primarily make synth pop, I would also like to dabble with other more experimental genres inspired by Hiro Kone or Caterina Barbieri. This modular will mostly serve the purpose of creating textures and layering samples with synthesis, since I have most of the rhythmic and melodic areas and effects covered between my Analog Rytm, Digitone, and an Erica Synths DB-01 and H9 that I picked up since I last posted.

Here's the rack I would like to end up with:
ModularGrid Rack

I guess the main doubt is whether the Cloud Terrarium is too big a module for a build this size. I do like the sound of it a lot but I'm open to alternatives. I'm also very excited by the 258t coming out. Let me know anything you would change here, but no larger cases please.

And, since I can't splash out £4000 at once, here is what I think I could get started with:

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Edit: See below for updated rack

Thanks Lugia, that's really useful feedback.

More than anything else, my constraint is space, which I have just about for the 104HP. I guess I was too optimistic with what I could get away with a modular of that size. Sadly, that means getting multiple devices like you suggest is also out of the question. I might have space for one more synth, definitely not three.

That said, I am not unhappy with my current setup... I love my Rytm and the posibilities for modulation and performance that it has and I'm also very happy with the range of sounds I get out of my Digitone. Also, I'm happy with the music I have released using these two alone. I just have a feeling that going forward, if I want to make things sound different, I have a gap in analog synth sounds, and thought a skiff of modules could sort that.

I guess I will just hold off it until one day I have a dedicated studio space where I can fit a PROPER system as you say.

Again, thanks for the help!

My rack: FH-2, Maths, DPO, Forbidden Planet, 106 Chorus, Black Hole DSP2, Quad VCA, OUT V3

Hello people of Modular Grid,

I would like your opinion on my rack plan. Is there anything you would change? Have I missed anything important? What would you do with the 2HP left?

I mainly make synthpop and currently use an Elektron Analog Rytm and a Digitone, plus guitar, bass and vocals. I have been interested in modular for a while and I think this winter will be my jump into it. My main goals are to sequence basslines from the digitone and get fat sounds out of the modular, perhaps same for some leads, and to also delve into more ambient and general craziness that I can use for intros/outros.

Thanks for your help!

L

Edit:After a day of thinking about it, I think I would prefer the Cš-L to the DPO, and that would give me enough space for a Disting mk4 too. Thoughts?

My rack revised: FH-2, Maths, Cs-L, Forbidden Planet, Quad VCA, Disting mk4, 106 Chorus, Black Hole DSP2, Pico out