Right, it is confusing. I'll be sure to double check, although with the current used prices that pretty much evens out anyway I suppose.

Ohhhhh, I was under the impression that the HEK came with everything I need.

1 x 1000mA Universal power adapter (110-220VAC)

Is that the transformer you're talking about or would I have to buy something in addition to that?

Right, that Happy Ending Kit should have have it's own power supply right? That's one thing I definitely would not try to build myself.

Yeah that's a good point, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the micro versions. When the time comes to pull the trigger on the next module I'll grab one of those unless one of the larger ones gets down to like, $150 or so.

Now I'm doing a lot of searching and making a list of all the DIY kits I'd like to try without SMT. That's the real clincher that would make me just buy something rather than put it together. Playing with VCV more I also realize how racks can fill up so quickly. Why have 1 sequencer when you can have 4! Rather than go sequencer crazy, after the O_c or Temps Utile (I'm leaning towards the former) I'm just gonna use a Korg SQ-1 for a bit to sequence so I can than turn my attention to simple DIY kits of stuff like filters, VCAs, etc.
I probably should mention that down the road, real time tweaking is absolutely a focal point for me as well, once I'm past the point where I can just make some noise that will definitely be a criteria for every module I add.

Also, so far my plan with a case is to start with an HEK, than add a second down the road if necessary. I can construct a wooden enclosure that will hold both rows. Do you think that would work fine, or am I really shooting myself in the foot there having two rows separately powered? If it's really necessary to grab something like those intellijell cases I can, but it seems silly as it might take me a year or more to fill one row on my current plan. Plus it's fun to build stuff :)

Unfortunately my local modular shop turned out to not be open on weekends, but thanks to you I feel like I have a good game plan anyway. Here's my current plan:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1067379.jpg?1575840756

I might switch out some of these for good DIY builds I find. My dad and I concluded that the uO_c kit would be a little too complex unless I ordered the kit populated, which kinda starts to defeat the purpose. But I feel confident about the AI synthesis kit, and so anything of a similar level I'll gobble right up. Thanks again for all your help, I'll check back in on modular grid once my rig is coming along, hopefully I'll be making music by then.

Wow, those are some crazy modules! I'm definitely intrigued by all three. I'm looking into the kits and they may be a little advanced for me, but I'm gonna run them by the old man and see what he makes of them. I can solder just fine, but I can't read schematics well. I found a Disting for about 150 so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on that for the value. One thing I'm definitely understanding is that it would be wise for me to start up with a few powerful modules at first so I have something fun to play with while I build the rig. Then I can add simpler things that I can further tweak the sound with. I will say though, I can tell that I enjoy working with simpler things and the limitations that they impose vs super super deep things that I will never wrap my head around.

I'll definitely want to get a mixer early on right? I need a way to send the signal out to headphones or an audio interface as well, so that's gotta be something I get early on too right? I also see that I'll want something that will take MIDI in, but it also looks like I could forego MIDI control and just use modules that gate and trigger CV all within the system, is that right?

I've played around with VCV for a bit now. I created a simple patch, messed with that, that ran that through a sequencer and had an hour fly by while I joyfully noodled with 80s era synth grooves, so I definitely know that modular is for me, lots and lots of fun. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far, I feel like I'm starting to get an idea of how I'll go forward.

Hmmmm, can't seem to get the current iteration of the rack to show up, maybe because there's empty space now?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1067379.jpg?1575595811

Thanks so much for replying! Yes that definitely echoes a lot of the stuff I've been reading. My thought with the Domino module was that it would do a lot on its own, and therefore be a fun module to play with while I built up the rig, but perhaps that one is not such a good choice? Would something like Atlantis, or Plaits or something be better for that? Is that kind of in the ballpark of what you are talking about with stand alone modules?

Here's where I left off, but good point about the small pots. Perhaps these little modules will be frustrating to work with:

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks again for taking the time to help. Yes it's a bit overwhelming, but really I can only justify buying one module a month or so, and I'm patient, so I got plenty of time to make a decent plan.

Hi there. I'm totally green to modular synth, finally starting to dip my toes in. I plan on visiting my local modular shop in the cities this weekend (Midwest Modular in Minneapolis dontcha know), but I figured I'd start a thread on here too to get some opinions. So my plan so far is to build a little synth that will:

1. Allow me to generate some drum and rhythm background sounds that I could have fun with and shape the sound of.
  2. Allow me to practice the basics of synthesis with some of the bare essential elements.

People keep saying to buy a larger case than you need, but it appears to be cost effective to buy a HEK and then just buy a second one later. Am I wrong here? The intellijell cases are substantially more expensive and so is everything else I've found.

It will take me a long time to build this rig, so I'm also trying to decide what the best order to purchase everything in is. My current idea is to get the Domino first, then a mixer, then a sequencer, then a midi gate. This would give me something fun to play with while I slowly build the rest of the rig month after month, or am I wrong here?

The rest of the case so far is just simple basics because for all I know my goals will change as I learn more how modular synths work. I could always sell modules if I decide they're unnecessary, this stuff all seems to hold it's value pretty well, or am I wrong there? Should I be wary of purchasing any particular modules? I also have some DIY modules in there because while I am certainly no expert, I do have plenty of experience soldering amps, cable, guitar parts etc, and my dad is basically an electrical engineer, so I'm also looking forward to doing some of this stuff with him. Anyway, I'm totally open to opinions, just trying to get an idea. Oh and I also already grabbed the domino because it was on sale, maybe jumped the gun there.....

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1067379.jpg?1575567217

Also I apparently am a moron and can't figure out how to get a screenshot up of my rack, so hopefully that link works.