Thank you for all the tips! I could use a combination of a faster clock from Pams and a slower from EC in a switch and do the ratcheting that way. It also seems Maths can do clock divisions as well as the other hundreds of neat things. Replacing the 4ms modules from this rack with Maths then.
Speaking of switches, this seems like a nice a/b/c/d switch https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-switch-4
seems very playable

I had to get the Euclidian Circles so i can have a more "hands on" approach on the rhythms. I spent a month or two just with Pams and it provided me with rich and swung rhythms (also used the Rotate Row feature in combination with logic for each channel to get all sorts of crazy breaks), but i felt a lack of involvement after pressing Start. I really needed something to make me interact more and faster as the patch played.

The switches - That's where this came in too. I was hoping of live pattern switching, both sequentially by CV and manually. To develop more variations let's say.
QCD + Expander - instead of this maybe just a smaller ratchetting module + a gate delay for swing? Although, i'm planning on expanding to a bigger rack in the future so i thought i should probably get something that i can still incorporate as my system grows?

I haven't thought of how I could use Maths for rhythmic music, so I'll need to research that.

Shades should be a nice addition, will probably get it.

As for the power of course, the 3000mA boost, it's kind of quirky because the cable is too short but oh well.

Hi, I've posted previously in this subforum but once again I'm looking for opinions from experienced people. I currently have the bottom row of this rack set up and I've been having lots of fun feeding variable clock divisions into the EC and getting some funky broken beats out of it. Also feeding quantized random into the Squid channels that can handle pitch. Outside of the rack there are a Neutron and Keystep which I occasionally use. Pretty happy with the Mimeophon too.
What I'm looking for now is adding ratchet and swing on separate outputs from EC so the QCD +expander seems like a nice option, if it's an overkill I'd like to hear about other recommendations. MD looks fun and compact and I'm thinking of using it with the uO+C in part as a melodic sequencer (I'm not trying to dial in anything pre-planned, i enjoy unexpected results as i play) and in part as a CV modulation sequencer. The switches to switch between different sequences from MD, Keystep, PNW or whatever else generates a sequence of gates or pitch. Compare 2 because I've watched the tutorials and I liked the complex gate patterns it can spurt out. Finally there's Plaits as an additional voice and FX Aid XL to add some other effect besides the Mimeophon (I'd like to use shorter delay on some sounds and longer on others for example).
This is some plan in my head at least, I'd like to hear about any inconsistencies or redundancies and also what module to fit in the 8hp space left.

That's not going to work with a uZeus even with the bigger power supply - max -ve rail is 500mA - which means you want to keep below 400mA (preferably less) - otherwise expect power problems

I'd try to change to a power supply that has at least 750mA available on the -ve rail & preferably one without the rack wart

I'd recommend the tiptop studio bus - but you'll need 2 busboards otherwise you probably won't have enough power on the +12v - and you still get a rack wart

I like the befaco excalibus - you'd need 2 though, but no rack wart! - so 4hp more to play with! just a hole in the case to take the power cable(s)

otherwise if it were me I'd probably swap the dipole for a blades - or something smaller like a wmd overseer and the pico dsp for a fx aid (get the xl if you can - better ergonomics and more modulation inputs)

-- JimHowell1970

Ooof, well since I already ordered the uZeus i'll start with it and then get something more powerful after passing 400mA on the negative. Thanks for this info especially.
I'll also definitely check out blades, overseer and fx aid as replacements for the other modules. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I haven't gotten into making solid racks so the flying bus boards were tempting with the uZeus. Question: Do i need anything special or just make screw holes, screw in the bus boards and connect them to a power supply?

I already have a Behringer Neutron and a Keystep, I've posted here some years back about planning to get some eurorack expansion but after some time these plans changed.
For starters I've ordered PNW, Squid, M8 a passive mult and the STmix + Out module. All this will go on a uZeus supply.
My final idea is a rhythm oriented setup based on samples where I can route individual sounds through different filters and stereo effects + Behringer as a synth voice and a Plaits to fill in as additional percussion/noise or even melody with Voltage Block driving it. I don't intend to dial in exact melodies so i think i'd be happy with the VB. Before i start getting more of these modules i'd like some expert opinion on whether i'm missing something out or if i can replace something with a more efficient module (in terms of space, cost, power consumption, number of functions)

With the Maths, you have some possibilities to modulate the envelope. However the Math only has a rise and fall... so basically attack and decay. The Neutron has four stages per envelope. So if you're looking to replicate the Neutron's envelope generators, that might be hard with The Maths module. It will sound different.

To get closer, I would try something like a TipTop Z4000NS. You get CV control over all four stages, plus the "deviator" offset. The Z4000 is a little trickier to use as the deviator and attenuator always come into play. But that's the module I'd pick. The Maths is a good pick, don't get me wrong. But I can see you having an awesome patch on the Neutron then trying to swap out EGs and not being able to replicate the Neutron's envelope with the Maths.

-- Ronin1973

The Z4000NS looks like what i would want from an ADSR env, plus its 8hp and not expensive at all. I might throw it in the rack, but keep Maths as well.

For the output module, why not looking at a mixer+out+headphones out ?
In fine, you might end up with several voices when you'll get another vco
I started with a 4ms listen four and i replaced it by a XOH (with a XPAN before to increase the XOH limited mixer capabilities and save space)
The Quad VCA before the Out will do the job in the first time but as your rack will grow out, the needs of VCAs as well
However listen to the pro, I am still a beginner
-- anglr

When I'll add another VCO i'll need a lot of other modules including more VCAs, a filter or a LPG, maybe envelope generators etc. But that won't happen very soon. I'll be looking at a dedicated mixer then and at the end of the routing i'll always just need some "modular level to line out". I'm also looking at Lifeforms Outs as a cheaper alternative to Intellijel Outs, i have no idea about the sound quality on both modules tho.

Excluding the Mantis that would be around 1600 euros just for the modules. Maths is the most expensive module in this rack but i figure it would provide me with a lot of useful functions for instance sometimes i would like to use it as an external envelope for the Neutron because i can't modulate the ADSR parameters in the neutron.

Yes, some FX and a modulation source would definitely improve the setup. I'm not really enjoying the factory delay in the Neutron and i find myself in situations where i could use another LFO.
For a stereo line-level output would something like Intellijel Outs do the job? Here's what i came up with for starters, removed some modules because of budget limitations.
As for the casing, I'm looking at Tip Top Mantis.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi, I'm very interested in (semi-)modular synths and decided to start my journey with the affordable Behringer Neutron. I've been playing with it for a couple of months by sending midi sequences from a DAW, but I'll be getting a Keystep today. I'd like to create a rack that will accompany the Neutron soon and in the future add another VCO or two and some sampler. After some research i came up with the rack shown below. It would be great if someone can give me their opinion on the rack and suggest what i could replace/add/remove.
ModularGrid Rack