There could be something coming that does exactly that... and more!
(But that's a secret.)

With 1u the clearence for the rails is taken away from the long side of the module, e.g., you have less space to work with compared to a 3u, given the same size front plate.
-- wiggler55550

This also results in more space for your fingers! :)
More below...

You cannot just give a 3u module a quarter turn and declare it a 1u, you will need a new layout to fit it in the narrow space.
-- wiggler55550

Actually, if the module has been properly designed, you can. Be prepared to have quite a wide 1U module though.
Both 3U and 1U versions of my LB5 module use the same PCB, and only have different front panels, so the "lost" area needed for the rails virtually has no impact.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-1u

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-lb5-3u

About whether a 1U only case makes sense / is a good idea or not (or if the 1U format makes sense at all), will only depend on how one would use it, so there's no universal answer, and it's not for everybody.

Even though the short demo used this case on its own, the idea was more to complement existing setups to add a couple 1U modules. Some are only available in 1U format, some interfaces (like the steppy) are more user friendly / natural with modules in the horizontal orientations, so there can be uses for such cases. And nobody will force anyone to buy one. :)

There were also some similar reactions when I released the 1U/3U adapters, and yet, I always need to make more. I understand that this solution too is not for everyone though.

Another thing to take into account is the type of modules to be used in 1U : the utilities I released earlier this year were originally designed as 1U modules only, and I finally decided to adapt these to 3U (using a specific PCB for each format this time). So far sales are slightly higher for the 1U format, and this was kind of expected, based on what happened with LB5 already. I do apply the same prices for both formats, and that's just the way it should be.

One could also argue about if hardware modular synthesizers in general make any sense in the 21st century when you can use VCVrack instead! ;)
I guess sane people just don't invest in modular synths. :)

After making some prototypes for this small 1U-only case, designed to be possibly used as a companion to the 4ms pods, a couple of questions hit the surface...

So if you feel like this is something you might want to add to your setup, please check the quick survey linked below. Thanks!

https://forms.gle/TfoKTZWhrLNmvtKW9

So now, 3rd wish for this possibility to combine XODES tile frames with 1U modules :) Thanks!

-- Sweelinck

As a workaround, one can replace 3U rows with 3 x 1U rows. Not super nice result, yet it's a way to actually plan the rack with real modules, as the 3U modules will somehow temporarily attach to the 1U rows. Simply add 2 x 1HP blanks instead of the adapters.

The thing is with this method, the boring cat will not leave you alone, and the positions of the modules will not be properly saved... but still, if you're not only into fantasy modular, and you actually need to plan a build, this method can help.

It's interesting to see how PV44 can appear to be cryptic to some.

The concept is pretty simple though : 4 trigger inputs select between 4 sets (columns) of 4 voltages defined by the knobs/switches. If 2 or more inputs are triggered simultaneously, it will prioritize (4>3>2>1) which set of voltages is sent to the outputs.

It was primarily developed to be used with drum/percussion synthesizers so that multiple parameters could be modified at once, and this is why it responds to triggers, have prioritization, and includes an output which is an OR of the 4 trigger inputs.

It can be used in other contexts, yet it might not be for anyone, as it's more of a companion to a trigger sequencer.

Be sure to have something like a "universal" or "hybrid" choice in the list then, and not only IJ/PL!

That is a 1U module that fits in both IJ/PL standards or is this a new third standard?

Something that fits both! A third standard would be nonsense... :)

It would also be nice if there was a way to superimpose 1U (IJ) modules over this series of adapters :

I see that would be useful but that is complicated because of the way the drag/drop collision routine works.

Sure, it looks like it would somehow need another parameter at the module level to allow collisions, or treat this kind of module as "sub racks" in some sort. I get that it may not make sense to make this kind of change only for a handful of adapters though...

There may of course be other adapters that could use this kind of feature, as long as there's also a "rotate module" option! :)

We have rotate module for 180°. People request that for 90° but that is also complicated because the way the optimize rack space routine works. At this point it looks like everything is complicated :-(

Even though this isn't something I personally am after, I was indeed referring to the 90° rotation... just thinking that if collisions were to be allowed with my type of adapters, it would be fair to also have it on others too.

Again, I get that these are not minor changes, it's more a matter of having the possibility to have those virtual racks closer to reality.

Support for 1U size format is on the list, this will come.
-- modulargrid

Be sure to have something like a "universal" or "hybrid" choice in the list then, and not only IJ/PL!

It would also be nice if there was a way to superimpose 1U (IJ) modules over this series of adapters :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-fc313-24hp

There may of course be other adapters that could use this kind of feature, as long as there's also a "rotate module" option! :)

Props for attempting to mediate a standard, @XODES. What is the decided PCB height (not faceplate) to accommodate both sizes? I’m away from my Intellijel system and digital caliper at the moment.
-- illiac

I actually just was too lazy to make 2 panel versions, and it looked like it solved a couple issues, like preventing the "wrong" version to be put in the box by error, or customers ordering something that wouldn't properly fit in their rack.

BTW, just like said in my previous post, dimensions for both the PCB and panel are the Intellijel ones. Everything is documented on their website :

https://intellijel.com/support/1u-technical-specifications/

Actually the panel (and PCB) dimensions simply are based on Intellijel ones, and the major (or minor?) change is about the mounting holes that are open on the outsides. That's it. So there will be tiny gaps when used within PL cases, yet you can use screws on top AND bottom.

Recently, a couple of manufacturers apparently adopted this method : Synthrotek, Winterbloom, and EcoLab (for the latter, their 1U modules are not on Modulargrid yet, and these have been showcased on Instagram over the past few days).

Where can these tile carriers be bought?

-- Broken-Form

Most should be available from the webshop (some sizes just went out of stock I guess...) :

http://www.xodes.net/product/fc313-eurorack-triple-row-intellijel-1u-3u-format-changer

http://www.xodes.net/product/fc313-eurorack-triple-row-intellijel-1u-3u-format-changer-wide

If you're in Europe, 3U-shop has all the sizes possibly available with M3 rails. It may be a good occasion to also get some NLC kits :

https://www.3u-shop.de/c/marken/xodes

Schneidersladen only has 10/14/20/24HP with M3 rails.

In the UK, Elevator Sound has 6/10/12/14HP with M3 rails, while Signal Sounds have 10/14HP only in both M2.5 and M3... And Thonk should soon have all sizes with both M2.5 and M3 rails!

In the USA, Mission Synths has 6/10/12/14HP and Perfect Circuit has the full line, both with M3 rails only.

All of the links are indeed on the "dealers" page :

https://www.xodes.net/dealers

A 28HP version may be available by the end of the year, and prices for the full line should be slightly adjusted by 2022.

As of now, these only work with modules in Intellijel format. Prototypes have been assembled already for a hybrid Pulp Logic / Intellijel version, and there are cases in which it's rather difficult to use, so these haven't been released yet.

Thread: Korg SQ-64?

It sure looks like it has 8 drum track gate outs like the BSP. Did I miss something?
-- TumeniKnobs

Both actually have 16 drum tracks, and only output 8, which means a MIDI converter is needed to get access to all their drum sequencing capabilities.

You noticed that too, hm? For one thing, the video I saw of it made it seem like it behaves something like one of those products from Roland's stagnation periods (mid-90s-ish). Plus, if Korg was on the ball here, they SHOULD HAVE made a reissue of the ARP 1604 sequencer to pair with the KARP 2600 and/or Odyssey (and a bunch of other things besides...similar to the 2600, the 1604 is ANOTHER highly-coveted ARP device). I guess they were busy budgeting for goofy-colored paint for the MS-20, or maybe they DID create one and then lost it in the same closet where they keep the KR-55 Pro's missing sync connections.

-- Lugia

About the user interface, first I would have gone with something slightly wider to use a somewhat bigger screen, as it looks like the workflow makes it essential to almost always look at it when editing. If the target users would have been "laptop only producers" that wanted to carry a small controller in their backpack I'd have understood the smaller footprint.
Another interesting solution could have used a smaller additional screen per row maybe, or any other eye-catching solution that would give instant feedback about what's going on with the grid, which in some modes kind of looks cryptic.
Not quite sure the grey background with white text on the screen will make things easily readable in any environment.
It still looks very capable, and it's interesting to see new hardware sequencers with generous amounts of I/Os, yet it would have been great that unlike the BSP they put output jacks for all of the drum triggers...
The LEDs above the output jacks is a clever idea and would be a nice addition to some other sequencers.

About the release of an analog sequencer instead, I'd say things usually can take time within Japanese companies, this is a cultural thing, and with the release of the miniKORG 700FS announced earlier this year, even though in limited edition for now, I'd say Korg might keep on going with these reissues vibe that started a couple of years ago. Let's hope so.

It indeed looked like an interesting sequencer at first, and looking at some videos, the user interface/workflow doesn't quite look appealing to me.

I'd rather wait for something like the OXI ONE which looks to have a better user interface to me and might look like an interesting mix between a monome-esque device, BSP, and SQ-64 :

https://oxiinstruments.com/

Another interesting one, with quite a different approach though, would be the T-1 from torso electronics :

https://www.torsoelectronics.com/

...for trying to find a bridge between the current Intellijel vs Pulplogic tile mess! EVERYONE making tile modules needs to have a look at what they're doing here!

And I'll also point out: if XODES can come up with a full series of drum tiles, this could go some distance to fixing the "drums don't work with modular" issue. You could easily devote a tile row to this, along with the requisite mixers, etc, and this keeps these types of modules OUT of the 3U rows, meaning that you'd have the space for the intensive sequencing needed AND space for the rest of the build as well.
-- Lugia

Thanks! (I never really thought about checking the forum...)

This idea actually came from... laziness, as I didn't want to deal with 2 front panels for the same product. It looks to me like most people adopting 1U in IJ format are not that into black panels (despite the black cases...), while some true PL fanatics seem to kind of dislike anything that is not expressively made for them. I guess it will never be possible to make everybody happy.

Prototypes for the full 808 set have already been (hand) assembled a couple of years ago actually (all archived now, there might still be some references about these on the internet I guess), yet planning production for 10 different modules at once is another story, and will involve big $ and may need quite some time.