Thread: PALETTE 3

SYSTEM NOTES:

For Electroacoustic operation, Endorphins Golden Master can amplify either my Zoom H1N or Elektrosluch Mini City. Mutable Instruments Beads in Palette 1 can amplify the other.

If I find myself not using Mutable Instruments Kinks, substitute in Mannequins W/ and Monome Crow. Crow could be used to convert 0-5V from Make Noise 0-CTRL to -5 +5V for Instruo Arbhar. Otherwise, I have to use Shakmat Harlequin's Context to create presets within the full range of the Scan parameter. Kinks could be a great utility though, if I find a way to get along with it. It is also useful for waveshaping the output from Rossum Panharmonium.

Thread: PALETTE 1

SYSTEM NOTES:

For Electroacoustic operation, substitute the S.T. Modular Radio for a Circuit Abbey Gozinta or a Mutable Instruments Ears to amplify my contact microphone(s). Mutable Instruments Beads can also amplify either my Zoom H1N or Elektrosluch Mini City. The Endorphins Golden Master in Palette 3 can amplify the other.

Buy the Koma Elektronik Kassiopeia when it is released to power solenoids and motors.

NOTE TO SELF:

It appears Ripples can provide up to 14dB of gain. Maybe this can be used in combination with the 12dB of gain possible with Morphagene to amplify my recordings. I will have to verify Ripples actually provides this much gain. The manual says a gain of 5, which I assume is volts, which translates to about 14dB. I also wonder whether I can output a signal with just the gain and no filtering. This also frees up 2HP for another module or the Mutant Modular Preamp, which would provide all the gain I need, if that turns out to be really important.

I should also consider the WMD Overseer as an alternate to Three Sisters because it is a true stereo filter in 8HP. I could combine that with the Mutant Modular Preamp, but of course the recordings I bring into the system via the pre-amp would be mono.

Thread: 62 HP

NOTE TO SELF:

I like this option for a portable palette case. I could do generative stuff as-is on the go, or pair it with an 0-CTRL at my desk to add more control. The biggest downside besides the lack of sequencer in the case is the omission of Ears. I would have to load my field recordings onto a SD card and import via Morphagene rather than just transferring straight from the recorder. However, this method would import stereo field recordings, which is an improvement over my current Mono setup. Morphagene and Arbhar have enough gain that I should still be able to sample audio from my phone.

Another downside is that I can only easily mix the two stereo voices. If I really want to mix in a third external voice (or Three Sisters), I could run a mono output of Morphagene through Arbhar (after filtering and/or FX) to mix with the Wet/Dry knob and mult the third voice to mix with the two regular voices via the VCAs. This allows me to use the built-in effects on Arbhar. I could also go the other way if I want to forgo the Arbhar reverb and add effects to everything together after Morphagene. This would allow Morphagene to output stereo.

Stereo mixing will typically be done with the two VCAs. Arbhar and Morphagene have their own level control, so the lack of knobs is not a problem. If I want to actually use the VCAs as VCAs, I will have to either mix with the wet/dry knob procedure described above to leave both free, mix mono Arbhar and Morphagene to leave one free, or use the Duatt to mix one side instead of one of the VCAs, which would leave me without offset control for Arbhar effects. I can’t think of many scenarios where I would use both the VCAs as more than simple mixers, except for fading between the two voices in stereo, which would actually be pretty cool. Regardless, they fit nicely in the case to allow for the stereo mixing I need.

PNW acts as a VCA for its own control voltage and Arbhar and Morphagene have built-in VCAs. As such, I would only use the VCAs with the Noise Tools and the external 0-CTRL.

PNW now has smooth random, so the Noise Controls module is less important, but still fun. I could still use the slew with the 0-CTRL.

Thread: 62 HP

NOTE TO SELF:

I like this option for a portable palette case. I could do generative stuff as-is on the go, or pair it with an 0-CTRL at my desk to add more control. The biggest downside besides the lack of sequencer in the case is the omission of Ears. I would have to load my field recordings onto a SD card and import via Morphagene rather than just transferring straight from the recorder. I’d probably end up sampling more from my phone and the radio, etc. Another downside is that I can only mix the two stereo voices. I can not mix in my Grandmother or any other voices I may get in the future.

Note to Self:

The O-CTRL lacks a quantizer, so I would need to add one to my rack. PNW cannot quantize inputs - only its own internal waves. I would probably want Sumdif if I add BIA so I don't have to mix it through the W/D knob of Morphagene or Arbhar. Trying to mix that way would be annoying and make it difficult to add effects to Morphagene or Arbhar output, alone. Therefore, this is really the minimum viable setup for adding BIA. This setup has 11 powered modules. Apparently I can add another ribbon cable to add the 11th module, but I would have to verify this.

Note to self:

This may be the best option. Kinks allows for multiple useful functions simultaneously, while the Disting offers more, but only one at a time. I don't think the Disting provides much in the way of things I don't have that I need.

The remaining potential issue is the insufficient gain for my audio recordings (and possibly radio input). Maybe this can be solved by routing through both Arbhar and Morphagene input gain, if this doesn't cause too much noise. Otherwise, I may need to switch Kinks out for Ears.

Thanks for the input Ronin and Lugia. Those are great points, especially considering I am building this to play live...well just to myself in headphones. I'm only learning.

The grandmother has a modular level output, so it doesn't need to be preamped.

To Expand Moog Grandmother...

01A: MIXED VOICE PLAY OVER TEXTURE LOOP
Arbhar with Phone recordings through Mimeophon
Plaits into Grandmother with grandmother keys
Reverb possible with Disting

01B: TWO VOICE PLAY AND SEQUENCE OVER TEXTURE LOOP
Same as 01A, but Plaits with sequencer and Grandmother with keys
Pre-mix Plaits and Grandmother with Disting

01C: DRUMS (AND PLAY) OVER TEXTURE LOOP
Same as 01A or 01B, except drums with Plaits

02A-C: PLAY/DRUMS DELAY/GLITCH OVER TEXTURE
Same as 01A - 01C, except Plaits/Grandmother through Mimeophon

03A: PLAY OVER TEXTURE DRUMS
Arbhar with Phone recordings to make texture drums
Plaits into Grandmother with Grandmother keys
Either channel into Mimeophon

03B: TWO VOICE PLAY OVER TEXTURE DRUMS
Same as 03B, but Plaits with sequencer and Grandmother with keys

03C: DOUBLE DRUMS WITH GLITCH
Arbhar with Phone recordings to make texture drums
Drums with Plaits
Everything into Mimeophon for glitch, pre-mix in Disting or send L/R

04A: ALL BUS INTO MIMEOPHON LOOPER
Plaits into Grandmother into Arbhar into Mimeophon as looper
Either build Arbhar textures with Plaits/Grandmother and play wet/dry
Or play wet/dry over pre-buffered Phone input

04B: TWO VOICES INTO MIMEOPHON LOOPER
Plaits into Grandmother into pre-mix with Disting
Arbhar (mono) with Phone recordings into pre-mix with Disting
Disting into Mimeophon as looper

05A: FEEDBACK AMBIENT
Arbhar Microphone input or pre-buffer anything
Send L of Arbhar to Mimeophon and R of Arbhar to Mix
Send L of Mimeophon to Mix and R of Mimeophon back to Arbhar

05B: FEEDBACK AMBIENT ALTERNATE (MONO)
Send Plaits through Grandmother into L of Mimeophon
Send L of Mimeophon into Arbhar (in Follow Mode)
Send L of Arbhar int R of Mimeophon
Send R of Mimeophon to Disting to pan, then to Mix
Plaits or Grandmother could alternatively be a separate input into Mix

Sorry, I didn't intend for this to be public. I'm planning my first modular system and my comments are notes to myself for the various options.

This plan is to expand a Moog Grandmother. I'm just building this for fun as a new hobby; I've always wanted to learn to play an instrument and the idea of "building" my own is compelling. I need to set an upper size/price limit so I don't get carried away. I chose a 104 HP Powered Make Noise Skiff because it can sit behind the Grandmother. All I really wanted to add to the Grandmother is granular synthesis, but of course I have found other modules that interest me along the way. Now I just need to determine the best balance between the modules I would like to have and utilities. I'm OK with the 104 HP limit, I may just have to scale back the number of voices/effects. Limits are good for creativity.

This option lacks the Disting MK4, but maybe I don't need it, especially if I can't get the record function to work. The biggest problem is there is no mixing module. I would have to give up on three simultaneous channels - only two would be available. For that reason, this probably isn't the best option.

NOTES TO SELF
Make sure that all the modules are immediately playable. Remember that is why I am building this thing - to allow myself an outlet for spontaneous creativity. I don't want to be able to plan or save anything.

I envision using this setup in the following ways:

OPTION 01A
- Create soundscapes on Arbhar with inputs from either the internal microphone, Disting MK4, or my phone.
- Run Plaits into the Grandmother noise input as third oscillator. Play Grandmother keys into Mimeophon for delay.
- Use Pam's, Maths, SumDif and 3x VCA for modulation of everything.
- Arbhar and Grandmother/Plaits into XOH for final mixing, after Mimeophon.
*Alternatively, with this option I could use the modular sequencer to sequence Plaits separately for periodic input or baseline. Mix Plaits and Grandmother in SumDif before sending to XOH.

OPTION 01B
- Same as Option 01A, except run Arbhar through Mimeophon instead of Grandmother.
- With this setup, I may want to use the Disting for effects on Grandmother.

OPTION 02A
- Create soundscapes on Arbhar with inputs from either the internal microphone, Disting MK4, or my phone.
- Use the modular sequencer and Pam's to make drums from Plaits.
- Play Grandmother keys, or maybe don't and this option is just drums over the soundscape.
- Mix Grandmother and Plaits drums in SumDif, probably after Mimeophon.
- Arbhar and Grandmother/Plaits into XOH for final mixing.
*With this option, consider running Plaits through Grandmother for filter.
*Run either channel through the Mimeophon.
*If I don't want to buy a modular sequencer, I could use the Grandmother sequencer, if I don't intend to play Grandmother.

OPTION 02B
- Play Arbhar with Grandmother keys through V/Oct, using inputs from either the internal microphone, Disting MK4, or my phone.
- Use the modular sequencer and Pam's to make drums from Plaits.
- Run either channel through Mimeophon
- Arbhar and Plaits into XOH for final mixing.
*With this option, I could also sequence Arbhar with the modular sequencer, leaving the Grandmother free to play over top of everything. In this case, mix the Grandmother and Plaits signals in the SumDif before the final mix in XOH.

OPTION 02C
- Use Pam's to create drums with Arbhar and inputs from either the internal microphone, Disting MK4, or my phone.
- Run Plaits into the Grandmother noise input as third oscillator. Play Grandmother keys.
- Run either channel through the Mimeophon.
- Arbhar and Grandmother/Plaits into XOH for final mixing, probably after Mimeophon.
*With this option, the modular sequencer may be free, so Plaits could be separate for use as periodic input or a baseline.

OPTION 03A
- Run Plaits into the Grandmother noise input as third oscillator. Play Grandmother keys into Arbhar, then pass everything through Mimeophon.
* With this option, I could keep Plaits separate for periodic input or even drums. If so, select one of the channels to run through the Mimeophon, then send both signals to XOH for final mixing.
* I could also consider going into Mimeophon first, then pre-mixing and send everything into Arbhar before final mixing. I kind of doubt this would be a worthwhile sequence, but it might be worth trying.

OPTION 04
- Take any of the above options and pre-mix everything in the SumDif so that everything can be processed through the Mimeophon for crazy noise creation.

*There are probably other options, but these are the most interesting I can think of to start...

MISCELLANEOUS THOUGHTS
If I need more HP for a different sequencer or a Links/Kinks, there are smaller VCAs. I just want to make sure they cascade to allow for signal mixing. I really may want to get an Ornament and Crime. It has a sequencer and many other modes. I have heard that many people had trouble with their Prisma+ Sequencer. There is a new model coming - maybe it will fix the issues.

The Disting MK4 can be used to play samples into Arbhar, as a stereo filter for Arbhar (stereo filters are rare), for recording the music I create, for effects on Grandmother or Arbhar audio signals, or for any of the other utilities. I may want to fit another into the system.

Find a sequencer that is enjoyable to use, like the Lifeforms Micro Sequence, which uses sliders for immediate control of the pitch of each step. The programmable ones look like a nightmare to use. The Micro Sequence does pitch, but it doesn't sequence gates. Do I want a sequencer that does both? The Micro Sequence leaves only 8 HP for my VCAs, though.

The VCA I get should have offset (can this also be called gain?) so that I can "locate" the waves of LFO's to accurately control my CV inputs as intended. There are many 8 HP VCAs, but I can't figure out if any of them do this. It appears that the Happy Nerding 3x VCA has these offset controls.

The SumDif looks like a great 2 HP mixer. However, it has no attenuators, so it will be very difficult to mix the Grandmother and Plaits at appropriate levels. It may be possible if I can patch an attenuator into the Level input on Plaits, then I can at least control the level of one versus the other, and finally the level of both together versus Arbhar in the XOH. This isn't ideal, but it might work. I should probably just switch the SumDif out for a 2 HP mixer, though...I'll have to investigate with the actual modules to see.

Note to self:
To start off, I'm planning two streams:
1. Contact microphone, regular microphone or iPhone (sound recordings or app drums) into Supercell, possibly passing through Rings. Use this stream for ambient drone, crazy noise or beat repeat drums.
2. Grandmother triggered by keys into Mimeophon. I may want to add a filter or some sort of effect between the Grandmother and Mimeophon. Take out the Links to do this? Maybe reduce the Quad VCA to a µ4xVCA or µVCA so I can keep the Links?