Sorry for the response "delay" but it took me time to look into all these suggestions.
To sum up, i'm now considering a 6U 104HP case that I will fill slowly depending on my needs and starting small.

@toddee
- I haven't played yet with AM synthesis, that's clearly something i'll try! I'm watching a few videos on the Veils and it looks amazing
- This "subharmonicon" concept is definitely something I'm going to look into aswell. getting a Maths was somehow a plan for the future but i'm not yet sure how to use it. thanks for mentioning it and making clearer the lesser need of the A-171-2 if I was switching to a Maths.
- Probably going to start with one voice playing around with tiny patches between 3/4 modules.
- Concerning the DT, I'm not a big fan of live sampling for many reasons (quality, portability..) but thanks for reminding that to me

Oh by the way, what is the A-183-3 for ?
-- toodee
Well, I naively though i could use it to mix multiple voices into one and send it to the output, I now start to think that might be wrong. Is it?

@Ronin1973

The Disting will give you a lot of different features to play with. You can then figure out if you'd like dedicated versions of those programs.
-- Ronin1973
Thank you for your feedback about the Disting, that is precisely what I was expecting from it

To be honest, I wasn't expecting so much warmth and detailed answers, I feel like i'm going to spend a few hours in this forum during the next months. I'm not going to use more of your time but will for sure keep you updated of the updates of this case through next posts.

Again, thank you very much to all of you for your help

toddee,

Thank you infinitely for your detailed answer and the time you took to look at my current project and share your experience.

I'm starting to understand the reason why people tend to tell me to use a larger rack. I'm going to consider getting a larger (104) 6U case based on these advices to start the project. Also, thank you for the advice concerning modules, i'm now investigating into some VCA/enveloppe and/or LFO/enveloppe (any input appreciated).

As this rack also serves an educational purpose I still hope I could get started doing 'something' with these few modules modules and get a taste of what's missing from this point.

Do you think I still can enjoy the basic concepts with this setup before going further?

Thanks for your time and reply Garfield, I truly appreciate your feedback.

This rack purpose is just getting 2 voices so I think the size can be ok for now (?)
Concerning the LFO, I was wondering if I can use the DixieII one (which is described as VCO/LFO).
In addition I was also planning to use a Disting mk4 (space left blank on the left).
Do you think Dixie + Disting should be enough LFOs for 2 voices?

Kind regards

Hello everybody and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post (which is my first one, just like the 84hp modular case I'm planning to build)!

ModularGrid Rack

I’ve very recently started diving into modular systems. After a few months of research to get a grasp on the various concepts going on here, I finally decided to roll my own. To give some context, my experience with producing music so far was simply using a digitakt + moog bass synth (the minitaur) plugged to a reverb pedal. My whole understanding of what a mono voice synth actually does hence comes from this moog minitaur which is my only actual analog instrument...

My plans consists in replacing the minitaur of my current setup (designed to do minimal/progressive techno) for something that does more: a bass and a melody. I think it would be a multi-voice modular capable of sending 2 (maybe it could be more?) midi signals from the midi channels of the digitakt through the endorphin.es shuttle control module, convert them to cv, and play around with these two before mixing them into one output (sent to a big sky reverb pedal).

So here I am, looking for guidance as an ultimate check before buying the modules and the 3U 84HP case.
1. Is my understanding correct and that the following rack can fulfil the previously detailed needs?
2. As a first rack, is it a good setup to play around with while learning how to patch? (I just have used VCV so far)

I assumed some elemental things should be missing so I left some space left :)
Any input/advices/feedback is appreciated (please feel free to tell me if I got it wrong)

Thanks for your time

Have a beautiful day

Gastonn