42HP seems fairly unworkable to me if you want generative, or anything that's not laser focused.
-- troux

I'd go with smaller versions of both Clouds and Plaits to squeeze out 4 HP for a FX Aid.
-- oliodnb

I have a Zoia pedal which I could use, though onboard FX is nice.
What about Pico DSP ? I could also use a smaller out instead of the Ooots and shave some HP.

I read some posts somewhere talking about how difficult it was to work with some of the more smaller versions of Plaits so thought I would make an exception and just use regular Plaits. I'd be interested to hear others experiences with the other compact Plaits clones...

As far as Clouds go, I really wanted the Microcell (Im assuming you know it has three different Clouds firmwares which kinda makes an amazing module)

Do you plan to combine this with any external gear? I can’t imagine this will be very useful as-is.

I did not leave room for FX in the case but I have a Zoia pedal.

Not sure this combination makes sense but trying to make a simple generative system in 42hp:
ModularGrid Rack

I see no (harsh) criticism - I just see facts - sometimes these are hard for us to deal with - possibly lost in translation

You said:

whilst the pico system seems to be a reasonably well specc'ed system - there are drawbacks - the main one being that the individual modules (yes I know there's only 1 panel in the system) are all very small - usually best sandwiched between 2 bigger modules so that there is space to get to the control and the jacks and in this case they are sandwiched between 2 modules the same size they are

If someone is looking at the Pico, they are already well aware its a small system with tiny modules - some of us are OK with that or even prefer it - don't have a problem with tiny modules / knobs.

Also you said:

so your re-sale market is starters who particularly want to get trapped with these modules

Why would you be "trapped" ? Like no-one would possibly want to buy a small modular to learn on? Yes, its a beginner system, to learn on, but that's OK that's the point. The OP mentioned he already has a bunch of synths so at least he has some knowledge he can use. There are plenty if videos out there of people patching this - hopefully the OP has watched some.

But my main point is I've been in that position as a beginner and coming to forums like this can be intimidating and its all too easy to dampen enthusiasm or turn people off.

I'm a thick skinned northern Englishman!

Im from the Midlands myself (I live in New York now) so Im familiar...

@JimHowell1970 I think its a bit harsh to criticize someone for wanting to try out modular with the System III Eurorack. Like the OP, I have a bunch of synths Ive been playing with and have spent the best part of a year looking at modules / systems / cases and educating myself on the ins and outs of modular before buying anything (which, for some of us, is a big investment). Surely how something feels and sounds is a purely subjective thing? Yeah, its small (some of us like that) and yeah it has less modules than the System II (which is like three times the cost), but if you go in knowing its all of these things, and maybe looking at it as something to learn on, that's not to be sneered at.

In my case, I wanted to keep things small but have room to add some modules, especially ones that come as standard on the System II and are not present on the System III. So I have a small Moog 60hp case with the Pico System III 42hp module which gives me a few hp to add some more modules later. Yeah, Ill outgrow this (I like the size and look of the Moog 60hp cases so I bought a 3-tier rack already :-) or maybe I won't, but I haven't spent a ton of money in the process (so far < $700) while Im educating myself. Erica Synths make some nice gear and are to be applauded for trying to make modular more accessible.