more switches! they are so useful for automating transitions between different sections of a composition, or making live adjustments. Since you already have Boss Bow Two for sequential switching, Would consider some simpler bi-directional 1->2 (or 2 -> 1) switches. I just picked up the Instruo Tain and really love it. WMD S3lekt and Acid Rain Switchblade are also popular (although the switchblade isnt bi-directional).

I absolutely agree. One doesn't need to set out with the goal of becoming the next Subotnick or Ciani or EDM giant. You don't need to have any goal at all beyond wanting to check it out. There is an air of gatekeeping here that I don't think is necessarily intentional but is present nonetheless. Curiosity as a starting point should never be discouraged.

-- baltergeist

While I'd agree with most points, aren't people overthinking their music-making a little too much?
It makes the assumption that every musician's goal should be becoming successful or having some kind of mystical experience out of it...
I don't know, some of us just make music because it's our favourite thing to do in our spare time. I learned decades ago that my music is nothing special and is going nowhere, yet precisely because that wasn't my goal, I'm still at it 35 years later, and enjoying every minute of it. For the sake of it.
I'd say, yes be aware of your budget and measure how important things are to you, but don't overthink it. It's just a hobby like any other. If you lose interest after a while. Sell on and move on.
-- Mazz

I'm glad this thread popped up again because I remember reading last year and being put off by it. I think Mazz and baltergeist have it dead on - for most of us, modular and music making is a hobby. If it's enriching your life in some way and you can afford it, then go for it. You'll probably make mistakes, get frustrated, spend too much money, and make mediocre music, but if you enjoy the journey, I think it's time well spent.

I think Lugia's original post is a useful discussion on the limitations, misconceptions, and general pitfalls of modular. I think if this post was called "Things to be careful of before you start your modular journey" I wouldn't have such a problem with it, but unfortunately as it stands it reads a lot like "modular is very serious business and is for a certain type of musician". It seems to minimize the many different reasons one might take the modular plunge. I hope thats not the intent - I hope its just a veteran trying to compile and share their wisdom with the community they so obviously love. I certainly wouldn't be where I am without the thoughtful contributions and feedback from the more experienced folks around here!

I got into modular because one day the YouTube algorithm showed me Rings making beautiful sounds next to some succulents and I just HAD to learn everything about it. I had never thought much about synthesis, but as an engineer and hobby musician, I discovered that the modular world (especially patch programming and generative music) really scratches all sorts of itches I didn't even know I had. I jumped in and spent more money than my partner wanted, but it's been an incredibly rewarding journey.

Ultimately I think if you approach it like you would any hobby everything will be fine - do your research, have reasonable expectations, understand what you're investing into, and do it for yourself.