Thanks for the feedback Lugia.

Thanks for all the feedback. I probably will get the Mantis.
I actually had a dream about buying a rack and all I remember was saying to someone "People spend this much money on furniture and furniture doesn't even do anything."

Thanks

Hi, after receiving advice on this site, I am interested in acquiring a Tiptop Mantis. But I'm also drawn to the 6U Rackbrute.
I did some research and believe the Mantis has a little more HP space and a better power supply- the Zeus power supply. But the build also seems less sturdy than the Rackbrute, and the Rackbrute might be OK for me power and space wise. It doesn't bother me about the Mantis being plastic. The Zeus power supply might be healthier for the modules I buy, but I like the less wobbly looking Rackbrute.
They are priced around the same price.

Also, I would need a The Type I plug (as defined by the IEC) for Australian wall power sockets.
The standard voltage in Australia is 230 V and the frequency is 50 Hz.

Has anyone had experience with either of, or, preferably, both of these cases, (the Tiptop Mantis and the 6U Rackbrute)?

Which would you buy for your first case?

That's great, thanks so much for taking the time for the clarification. I will definitely check out starting with a Mantis case and a Marbles. And I'm glad I joined this website.

Hi JimHowell1970
hopefully this link works? https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1151024.jpg
I'm not sure how to insert a screenshot at the moment. I tried dragging and dropping one in several times but can only (hopefully) provide a link to a screenshot.
The idea is to use the oscillators, vcas, lfos, filters I already have in my semi modulars and incorporate them with random pitch generators, quantizers, wave shapers and a random sampler in a modular rack. I'd like to make more Krell self generating, less keyboard or sequenced music that doesn't use midi and uses cv instead. And I'm looking for any advice from people more knowledgeable than me before I spend money :).

Thanks for the feedback Ronin1973

Well. You're on the right track.

A common timing source is a good first choice. A master clock could be something as simple as an LFO or a dedicated clock module. You can use a dedicated clock divider if you wish. But a good alternative would be a Pam's New Workout or a Temps Utile. They can divide (and multiply) a clock as well as perform other duties like trigger sequencing, Euclidean patterns, etc.

As far as mixers, you'll want at least two... both should be able to handle CV AND audio.

The quantizer is always a good move. So are effects like wavefolders, waveshapers, distortion, general effects (reverb, delay, etc.), and even distortion modules.

A dedicated sequencer to centralize control over all of your desktops would be nice as well... especially if you're performing or triggering things live.
-- Ronin1973

Hi, I currently have some desk top modular synths: moog werkstatt, m32, Grandmother, Lifeforms Sv-1, Make Noise 0-coast.
I would like to (eventually) expand their possibilities with some extra modules.
I am a fan of self generative Krell-type stuff.
In the jpeg link below you can see the types of modules I might be interested in. I'm not saying I want all of them, as there are some similar ones. But here's my thinking, I can use an oscillator from the desktop to go into a randomiser module.
Whilst the Grandmother has a random arp or sequencer and the 0-coast has a random clock function (I would like to continue using them too), I would like something extra to send an oscillator into for extra variation.
I would like a pitch quantiser to make the randomness more musical.
A mixer and a random sampler like Marbles.
A clock divider, sequence switch to trigger envelopes at different clocks?
And I added swirls and wave warping modules to change the wave forms.
A small rack with maybe only four or five modules might be ideal.
It would be my first rack and why I'm throwing out my vibe for feedback before I waste any money buying something I regret.
Any advice would be awesome.
Thanks for your time.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1151024.jpg