Please do tell us how you get on - I for one like to get to the end of the story :)
-- Kel_

Like a whodunit with the last page torn out :-)

Well, to be 100% honest, when I wrote that my Neutron had arrived and I was going to give up.

I'm now considering options. Why? See:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=232344

Why not here? Because I use a Chrome extension called Read & Write which, for some reason doesn't work on this site:-(

Hey Garfield

Thanks for taking al ook.

However, I've done without the into for donkeys so I guess it would be no big deal if it went to the grave with me :-)

The SY77 is the only hardware synth I have left so no others to back up.

Very useful to know, though, if anyone needs to use floppies.

I know what I'm going to do now.

Thank you :-)

...and speaking of recent hardware developments, you might want to have a peek at https://floppyusbemulator.com/product/n-drive-extreme-emulator-for-yamaha-sy77-sy99 No need to chuck that synth out because the FD is shot, and this sort of upgrade allows for MASSIVE storage of data that the FD could never pull off. My aim here is to eventually replace all floppy drives in my synths, samplers, etc with these; on something like my S6000, the ability to store multiple gigabytes of sample data on a thumb drive easily supercedes even the internal HD in speed and capacity.
-- Lugia

That's interesting. Also available in the UK from Amazon (if anyone's interested). However, it costs more than my SY77 is probably worth :-) Also, I don't use it and want rid of it. However, I do have some material on floppies which I'd like to save if poss. Interestingly, I no longer have a computer with a floppy drive!

I'll see if I can pre-order one... :-)

Must confess most of my music stuff has been in software for the last umpteen years. I'm thinking it would be nice to twiddle a few knobs as software is so hands off. So not up to speed with recent hardware developments.

M last remaining synth is a SY77 - if anyone's interested in buying it (needs new drive belt which I haven't got around to fixing.

I think my re-interest in hardware is partly driven by nostalgia. Now I can actually afford most of the stuff I couldn't when I was younger - but really struggle to justify it :-(

Yes, the 2600 is disappointing

Another way would be with Monome Teletype - it would involve creating a look up table for your chords and some programming to determine the probabilities, but probably a few ways to achieve this.

The Teletype will have more fine grain control and precision, the Harvestman will be more 'tweaky' and more fun to play :)

-- Kel_

Yes, that is a module all right! :-)

I've read the stuff on the site and watched some YT vids altho not read any of the manuals. Looks amazing. Not gone into it enough to decide if it can do what I'm after but I tend to think if I go down this route I may as well keep the whole thing in software.

Not least of all I can see it would be easy to drop £2K+ before I get off the starting block :-)

I may have to reconsider my musical ambitions :-)

Sorry missed this, but yes - totally doable, but will cost a bit!!

One way with Harvestman / Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer and Argos Bleak.

Set the chords up on Argos Bleak

Set 4 steps, one each to the correct voltage to trigger the chord in Argos Bleak, then set to play on random on Stillson hammer MK][ for 25% probability. To increase the probability distribute the voltages across the number of steps in your sequence - think about what having two steps on the same voltage in a 5 step sequence on random would do to the probability.

-- Kel_

I've had a look at this - at last! :-) - and as best my befuddled brain can gather, this gives each chord a certain probability of sounding. In other words, each chord has its own probability which is in no way influenced by any other chord, particularly the chord that's currently playing.

Is that right?

If not, ignore the rest of this post :-)

What I'd like to try is for the current chord to affect the probability of the next one. Eg, if the current chord is C, then Am might have a 20% chance of playing and G a 60% chance. If the current chord was Dm, Am might have a 50% chance of playing, etc.

Ah...!

Harvestman is the name of the COMPANY that made the modules. I thought it was the name of a module. Doh!

Sorry.

Alles ist klar
:-)

Not heard of the MS-20ic. Interesting.

The desire for a MS-20 (or clone) is def a throwback for me :-) I lusted after one of these back in the day.

I had an original Roland 100M system but sold it when MIDI arrived - I saw the writing on the wall for analogue! :-) I don't regret it as I wanted polyphonic stuff. And not tempted even by Behringer's 100m-a-like.

I'm in the UK and most MS-20 mini sellers (ebay) want MORE than you can buy a new one for. Crazy. I wish my customers were as ignorant :-)

And I DO like the form factor as you say. The diff between a Behringer and the real thing over here is only about £180. The interest in the behringer was more a space issue and potential Eurorack connectivity.

At the time I also lusted after an ARP 2600. Really interested in Korg's re-issue - until I saw the price :-)

Oddly, I watched 3 demos on YT by Korg's Luke (I think), all basically the ame and done for different shops. Just scratched the surface but ultimately disappointing and cured me of my luisting :-) I just hope I don't see any really good demos... :-)

I'll vouch for the Mantis. I have two of them joined together with the optional mounting brackets.
-- farkas

Good to hear coz the Mantis is looking increasingly liley :-)

Also like the fact that you can join two. And good VFM.

The Putts look great but I'd struggle to put them in the VFM category :-) But I guess that is subjective.Or maybe more to do with the fact that it costs an arm and a leg to get into this before you actually start spending arms and legs... :-)

If I was clever, I'd be tempted to make a case, too. Why do you need a router?
-- iantrader

To cut out wooden shapes for the case sides that are to my own designs. :)

-- wishbonebrewery

Ah... Most people who do DIY cases tend just to use rectangles :-)

They do look boxy but then so do most cases, esp Doepfer.

If you have a local Maker group, someone there will probably have one.

Hehe - sure!!

That's a variant of an old Russian Oscillator - not sure what the relevance is here?

-- Kel_

They were the modules you said you used:
One way with Harvestman / Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer and Argos Bleak.

I'm checking them out and trying to work out how they fit together to do what you do.

Some interesting IME stuff there :-)

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. Do you think it's a general problem with the RackBrute or did you have a faulty unit? Arturia stuff usually seems pretty reliable.

Not used Bax. They have a great deal on the RackBrute which makes it tempting. Not tempting at its usual price :-)

If I was clever, I'd be tempted to make a case, too. Why do you need a router?

I'm also still confused about power supplies which is why I'd prefer one ready-installed.

uZeus seems to be one of the most popular but someone in another forum said they had problems with it.

SynthRacks recommends the TipTop Zeus Studio Bus. The dost for a 9U case is more than the case itself!!

The Mantis is probably currently top of the list although I'm still looking :-)

Ah, is this it:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/industrial-music-electronics-polivoks-vcg-mkii

There was a smiley after my sequencer comment :-)

Wow, thanks. Having trouble locating Harvestman. Is it in the Modules list?

I sort of think a sequencer is cheating :-) but maybe not.

I'll check these out and post back.

Great!

So I'm guessing this isn't possib;le:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/8633

IIt can be done in software but I thought it would be really cool to do it in a modular system.

So maybe I have to take a step back.

Are there any modules that can make a 'musical' decision?

I can expand on that - and will if requested :-) - but I thought I'd leave it open to see what, if any, suggestions there are.

I'm interested in ways a modular can 'react' to current pitches/CVs rather than running a S&H through an attenuator and quantiser.

Ian

Ah, the Doepfer :-)

AFAICT, they onlyy do 84 and 168 HP which itself seems slightly bonkers, but 168 is too big for my space and 84 leaves a gap which would not be filled and therefore a waste.

The Intellijel are nice but not at those prices :-(

Always a compromise.

So still considering the Mantis (I could get two - 12U!) for the price of some 6U systems) and still looking altho I suspect I've seen every case on the panet now! :-)

That's useful, thanks.

The K-2 and Eurorack is def not a road I'm going to go down. There are so many other amazing modules that work out the box so it really seems superfluous unless you really want to control its 'MS sound' from the rack and I can live without that :-)

Shame, though.

Even though the K-2 is a close. I'd have thought some clever software could have made the sockets Eurorack-compatible.

Ah well..

@Ligia - wonderful!! :-)

I came across a post listing the cost per HP of various cases which was very interesting.

You're absolutely right. I wouldn't consider housing such a module in a rack (until I get one which fills wall!), mainly because of the loss of HP. I hadn't worked out the REAL cost which is even more frightening :-)

I'm still trying to decide on a case...

I've just ordered a Neutron! Phew! One decision down, 999 to go :-)

Yes, 961 typo (now fixed). Apparently they are now available: https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_961_interface.htm

I really wanted an MS-20 back in the day, hence interest, but will likely give it a miss. Patching all this stuff together it going to be tough enough as it is :-)

Ah... :-(

Not heard of the 961. the K-2's designed for Eurorack so why not make it externally compatible? Hey ho...

Any idea on price? It might negate Behringer's price advantage.

I was planning on getting the Neutron and K-2 as rack starters. Now it looks like the Model D or Pro 1. The K-2 seems to have better patching options, though

Decisions,. decisions...

Well, I'm thinking 9U is too big so I thought I was right on with that one :-)

Sorry. not totally understanding what you're saying about RackBrute. It does seem to have an over-large PSU but surely it's only units next to it which might have depth probs. not units in the rest of the rack?

The Pitts looks great but is totally out of the ballpark :-(

I'm just trying to pull together the confusing amount of info about cases - except get bigger than you think you'll need :-) - to find something that looks ok, does the job and still leaves me with enough £££ to buy some modules :-)

Anyone got a K-2?

I may have wires crossed but seem to recall that the original Kors use a different system to the 1v/octave and could only be used with a Eurorack via a converter.

Is the K-2 the same or is it directly compatible with 1v/Oct Eurorack?

Ian

Awesome!

But will have to wait till my first album goes platinum I think :-)

It's getting the balance right between cost and quality :-(

At the moment, just starting out, I'm heavily driven by cost.

I'm in the UK and there's a 6U RackBrute on offer at a good price, cheaper than a Mantis but neither have the nice raked layout of 3xMoogs

Thanks Garfield!

10cm - Wow!

The problem is, you probably won't know what modules you want until you get the case and get started :-) A little chcking suggests that Doepfer make some of the deepest modules.

The Doepfer cases look utilitarian.My current preference is for a 104HP 3-tier raked system (a bit like Moog's 3-tier stand.

The research never ends :-)

Hey Everyone

Looking at cases and, of coirse,checked out the Behringer Go. The top case has a depth og 40mm while the lower one has a de[th of 62mm only in the front 60% of the case.

Their Moog-a-like 104 was, er, similar to the Moog case but much shallower and wouldn't accept some modules.

To save a few mm, this seems very strange to me.

The Mantis is 50mm. The RackBrute is 53mm.

Is 50mm a 'safe' depth?

Is there a minimum depth a case should be? Or ,perhaps, how deep is the deepest module? Or, how ,many modules WOULD NOT fit into a 40mm case?

Ian

Hi Everyone

I'd like to create a system that creates chord progressions based on probability.

For example, in the key of C, let's say the first chord is C, then here would be, say, a 40% chance the next chord would be F, a 40% chance it would be G and a 20% chance it would be Am.

Let's say it is Am. Then there might be a 30% chance the next chord would be F, 30% it could be Dm, 20% Em, and 20% of G. And so on.

There are a couple of modules in VCV Rack which can do this but there are no hardware equivalents. One of them uses a Markov Chain which seems a good way to go.

Is this possible in a modular system? If so, can anyone suggest any modules to look at?

Thanks,
Ian