Would the FH-2 fit in the Niftycase? 48mm seems pretty tight.

Also, without wanting to divert the thread, would I be right in thinking "supports traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI" means the FH-2 could link early 90s synths and samplers into the Eurorack?

Yes, your project sounds fascinating and I'd like to hear some of its fruit if that's OK.

I don't think I can offer much else except to wonder if clock function modules such as Bastl Little Nerd might have a place? Also, MI Elements might fit into your vision with its Bow, Blow and Strike parameters. But it's big.

Thanks for that thoughtful post Sweelinck.

If I can sort out the recording, yes I'll publish some on my Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dr-icy). But I'm having trouble getting rid of noise on low frequencies, maybe I should try the guitar-in setting rather than line-in on my 8 track. I'm sketchy on recording cos I haven't done it for 19 years.

Yes, playing with the modular reminds me of playing with real people. Before getting the DFAM the last music I did was an improvising band, but I was singing with them. I loved that. One of my friends is a super violinist and it was such joy playing with them. One of her mates has played with Joshua Bell.

Modular reminds me of when I first got a sampler nearly 30 years ago - an Akai SO1, baby Akai. It cost me two months' wages. I loved it, recorded with it and a cassette four track, just playing the buttons on the front. Maximum 15.6 seconds total sample time but 8 voice multi timbral in 1992! Never knew what new sounds might be found lurking in a messed up sample.

I intended to just get a few modules to support the DFAM and Delaydelus 2 which I bought, but I just went crazy for it and spent my savings on 9U of 84 HP. I don't regret it, it's what I was saving for really. I saw an Octocontroller for sale and had a look and thought yeah, I can go for this!

I just patched all night, integrating my DFAM and rack for the first time. Really good fun. The combination of directing the sound and unexpected directions bubbling up as you go is so rewarding. I was even dancing at one point!

Thread: m

I'm new too, but I think what you want to do may be accomplished by routing your sound signal to a VCA audio input, and routing the ADSR to the corresponding VCA voltage input. So, VCO->Korgasmatron->VCA input, and ADSR->VCA CV input. Try it anyway. That stereo mixer looks nice.

Two words - it's fun.

I find modular to be like finger painting with sound. I'm finally starting to develope some techniques, some ways to get predictable results, but the main appeal for me still is that it's a happy accident machine. I am not an organized thinker and making 'music' via patching is perfect for the way my brain works.
-- baltergeist

Yeah, I've just started and knowing that I can turn my setup on, make a couple of connections and have some fresh sounds going is an incentive to get up in the morning. And the more I do it, the more I start to get it. It's deep and wide and light.

Cool! I've got everything contributing to a patch now. Using the Delaydelus as a delay and triggering samples from it with OctoCon and the Bastl. All quite ergonomic right now, so I'll persevere with this setup for a bit.

Thank you for your reply. That's the question I was dreading! It's quite open. Electro/jungle-ish dream pop, with plenty of soundscape possibilities but that can sound good when really minimal too? Think Kate Bush, Caterina Barbieri, Lee Scratch Perry, Cocteau Twins, Portishead, A Guy Called Gerald, Quasimoto, Jane Siberry, object blue, 90s pirate radio jungle... I also want the modular to be able to surprise me, a capacity I've always liked about the sampler as an instrument. I want to experiment with things like using loads of Erthenvar outputs simultaneously; using my Delaydelus to sample the rack's output then feeding it back in, and whatever else I can think of. I improvise and play around a lot. My previous musical background is making music with samplers/bass-station/effects and singing in an improvising group. I will be wanting to use vocals, both sampled and recorded separately. But I just love playing with musical boxes.

The whole rack outputs into the Delaydelus 2, which as well as being a fun sampler has a really great delay on it, and that goes into my speakers. Waiting for a TASCAM 8-track, then I'll be able to record.

I realised I've probably posted this thread too soon and should spend at least a few weeks with my setup as is so I can identify what works and what doesn't. I ordered another Takaab SMIX, so two of them can take up to 14 outputs from Erthenvar, and also a MI Links which just looks really useful, so that will be the first two rows filled and when Disting EX arrives I'll either have to swap something out or start a third row. This is what it looks like right now (bottom row doesn't physically exist, it's there to hold my DFAM and modules on order).

ModularGrid Rack

First, thank you very much for this excellent and informative website and the extremely helpful utility that's enabled me to plot this out.

I initially thought of getting a few modules to support and interact with my DFAM and Delaydelus 2 funboxes. Then I started looking on eBay and seeing wondrous-looking things like the Octocontroller and before I knew it I'd assembled a rack with modules left over, so then I had to start a second especially when I found the Erthenvar Patch Chord...

There are two racks. The bottom row isn't a rack but is there to show my DFAM, as well as two modules I have on order, the Entropy Cannon and Disting EX. There's space for the EX at the end of the top rack, but not for the Cannon, so I'll probably have to start a third rack anyway. I anticipate it mostly consisting of mults and other mixing utilities, due to the presence of the amazing Patch Chord and its 25 outputs (yes, I do want to use lots of them).

The top rack is a Doepfer A-100, and the middle rack one of those Cre8Audio ones. In addition to the DFAM I have a Delaydelus 2 sampler/delay, which is currently being fed by the mixer.

I'm currently trying to arrive on a good configuration for what I have. Patch Chord has to be on the lower rack due to 5V requirement. Takaab 3LFO has to stay where it is due to stuck screw but this is okay as I really like it, bargain module. Otherwise I'm trying to centre sound sources around Patch Chord. I really don't know what I'll use GND CTRL for, it just looked interesting and a good deal.

ModularGrid Rack