Thanks a lot mate, great work and so usefull !!!

You're welcome !

The exact connection would be :
Sub out > VCA signal in
EG out > VCA CV in
VCA signal out > mixer

(You Can also find EG with integrated VCAS, like WMD Javelin, Cosmotronic Delta V, or the latest 4ms that looks dope !!)

You'll also need a trigger or a gate to start the enveloppe.

The role of the function generator here is to modulate the amplification of the audio signal going into the VCA.
Imagine a volume curve if you like.
Once the enveloppe is not triggered (sequencer stopped) your volume will stay to zero.
It's also interresting to put a low pass filter (vcf) between VCA and mixer.
Then you can modulate the filter with the same enveloppe (with a multiple) to give more dynamics to your bass sound ! :)

Hope it's clear, it's one of the tricks, but some folks here could give you many others.
I'm not a modular expert :)

I highly recommand voltage block ! ^^
Mimetic Digitalis is a very good option too, in reduced spaces.

Best,
Cédric

Hi,
Sounds like a normal behaviour for me.
The sub out of the Osiris acts like a classic VCO and not like a synth voice : it's playing the sound continuously and is not affected by the decay knob.

You have to pass it thru an enveloppe + VCA combo.

Cheers,
Cédric

Thanks bro, this thread is 2 years old, I just came back to thanks everyone that helped me to start.
I actually have the VB.
Picture of my rack in my last message 🙂
Regards,

Hi, nice people,

So funny to read this thread, less than 2 years after my first message.
My research was based on a modular system that would "not be the center of my Techno Setup"
How could I be so naive ...haha.
I would like to thank you all guys, @Lugia @Farkas @the-erc.
You and the eurorack-modular community on other platforms have been so helpful.
Your recommendations, combined to my tastes, needs, and restrictions, thousands hours of Youtube videos, brought me to a 208 + 176 hp full of modules.
I'm now reaching my goal to have a single machine, based on random that I could play for hours in a live techno performance.
It's not perfect, for sure (any optimisation is still welcome !!!) but I feel happy and peacefull for now :)
Note that I still have the Roland TR-8S for "Classic" drums patterns, and for sure the beatstep pro.

I made some videos on Youtube if you like, but the best is to come ...

Thank you all guys !

Cédric

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2053328.jpg

Thanx Evan, this list is exactly what I was looking for.
As sumbmited on another thread, I will quickly have to use external fx units.. before I extend my rack with a second row.
DSP knobs are ridiculously tiny :)
Dual FX was my first choice, but space optimisation changed my mind. Good to know for later..

Cheers

Cédric

Hi Every One.

As starting a 88 HP rack with 2 synth voices + 1 sampler module, and having a pico DSP module (which is great), I asked myself this question.
Grabbing a second pico DSP would give me 2 separate fx units in only 6 hp, whereas the dual FX is 10 hp.
For those who know both of them : Are the FX the same in the two units ?

Kind regards,

Cédric

Great, Thank you farkas !
As a beginner I was stuck on "tune" function.
I'll try with disting, and if I want to use it for another function I'll look for a quantizer.
Cheers

Hi every one,

I realized that soleo vero is a manual tuner.
What I was looking for, is a module on wich I can select the scale with a switch, in order the synth voices play only the notes in the selected scale, or that reduce easily the amount of the pitch lfo, and his position in the scale.
Is it possible ? lol

Thanx Lugia for the SPX90 recommandation. I'll watch the next selling notifications here in France.
Cheers,
Cédric.

ModularGrid Rack

I just regret the lack of stereo out, but maybe I can cheat with quad vca :)

ModularGrid Rack

Wow !
Thank you so much for taking on your time to work on my rack. I really appreciate.
Considering your very usefull recommandations, it may be an alternative version of my terminal 3U rack, waiting for a second row :)

I replaced BIA by Loquelic, which is a more complex oscillator but can do percs too.
I consider my Pro-1 like a "normal" vco and it's semi-modular, so I can patch his vco ;)
I absolutely wanted a filter too. Hesitating between different models, I've chosen the Ripples for the moment.
Fx have been ditched. I can route the stereo out of the rack towards a Zoom ms70cdr I own (or buy later another used), which is a very versatile and good sounding pedal.
The outputs of the pedal are routed in an analog audio / usb mixer (soundcraft signature MTK)
I also ditched tiptop sampler. As I plan to get an octatrack for performing and manage samples, it will be my unique source. And disting is still there.
I hope Soleo Vero from noise engineering is OK for keeping everything in tune.

Thanks Lugia, I missunderstood.
I have a couple of tiptop stackables and those splitters are perfect.

Excellent, you are on the right track now Cedric!

The key is to start slow and have fun and learn :-)

I have a lot more modular gear now but probably will get a very small case for portable rig in future. I also recommend simple and often overlooked tools like knurlies- these things are cheap and wonderful for moving modules around without needed a screwdriver and such, splitter 1-5 mults hex devices that work like passive mults without taking up precious rack space HP and stackable cables like those from Tiptop audio. I am actually making a video tutorial on these things for beginners. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
sacguy
-- sacguy71

I will ! do you have a link towards your tutorials ?
I always forget knurlies in my orders... :(
You're right, every one should have splitter(s) in his rack, I will find a 2hp as soon as I can invest, cause for the moment, even if I bought my rack and modules mint, I have to wait for the next ..
Can you tell me more about kinks functions ? It's the only module In this project I'm not sure how to use ..

Kind regards,
Cédric

Did you really want to have two Pico DSPs?

Two obvious things you are still missing here : a mixer and a VCA. Ditch the second Pico DSP and you could get one of each from 2hp.

That said, I would start picking up the modules one by one and see what you actually need for the way you play. Some of these modules (Disting, Stages, BIA, Pam) have a lot possibilities and depending how you use them you might change your mind about the others, especially in combination with your other gear.
-- the-erc

As I put 2 voices, I considered having a different effect for each of them.
It may be a reflex from using effect pedals on my synths and drum machines :)
I thought Optomix was a good option to start with, cause he has low pass gain, vca and mix functions. As reading your advice, I realise that not really. ;)
Starting my rack project, I was interested by Unify mixer, and intelligel quad VCA. Then I realised that I could use optomix to mangle the sounds and gain space. I'm curious about your opinion on this choice and the alternative options.
Here is where my rack is stuck for the moment, because of money ;) Don't hesitate to complete it, I would be glad.
46 HP left !!! :))

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1386516.jpg

Cheers,
Cédric

I have been doing something similar for a little while, and techno in 88 hp is quite possible, especially if you have other gear too. See for example :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9056

In my setup Pam's is the heart of everything. To get the best out it you will probably want the Pexp-1 expander. I also strongly recommend getting a switched OR module like the Low-Gain Short Bus or the Ladik S-260. This will turn Pam's into a much more powerful trigger sequencer, because you can use the switched OR to overlay sequences. Pam is also a very capable modulation source, and it can be quantised to pitch to generate melodic loops (your Beatstep Pro is probably a better option for this though!) To make the most of this you will need a CV mixer, and a logic module (e.g. Mutable Instruments Kinks or SSF Tool-box) could be quite handy too.

I am assuming you are going to get more percussive voices here. I second Sacguy's recommendation of BIA - it's very good, and with some creative (clocked!) modulation it can be many different "voices" at the same time. A low-pass gate is a nice thing to have : will let a "normal" oscillator do more interesting percussive things when needed.

I have no suggestions for pads and general ambience, other than to use Disting as a sample player, with loads of delay and reverb. If I had infinite budget I would get the Instruo Saich, but it is very expensive and quite large.

p.s If you haven't already seen it, Mylarmelodies' video about making a tiny techno system has many good ideas.

-- the-erc

Hi the-erc, thank you for your feedback, I'll take a look at the video.
Didn't think about switched OR and low pass gate / vca
Here is the rack after sacguy and your recommandations.
I added MI Kinks, Low Gain shortbus and Make Noise Optomix for low pass gate/vca
BIA is back too :)

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1385725.jpg

Kind regards,

Cédric

Hi, and thank you for your reply !
everything you offer me reassures me, because if you look at my rack projects you will find equivalent modules!
I got stuck on the BIA for a long time, but after watching a few videos, I found the sy 0.5 to be more versatile and tame, and adding Viol Ruina to it, I think it can be even crazier.
Why not adding A Noise Ingeneering voice instead of the Plaits 😉
As a modulation source / utility, the mutable instruments stages seems clearer to me than Maths for a beginner, what do you think?
I am also interested in the Intelligel quad VCA which can perform the functions of VCA and mixing, so quite close to your recommandations.
Finally I was on the right track;)
Thanks a lot for the rack, I'm studying this. 😉
Concerning the rack, I can go bigger once this one is full. First I searched the 6U, but no used one is available for the moment.

Cédric

Hi every one,

This is my first step in modular.
So first of all, thank you for adimitting me in the community. And excuse my approximative English :)

Modular is not the center piece of my setup.
I use an hardware drum machine (TR8S) and a couple of analog synths.
Some of them are semi-modular or modular-compatible (Pro-1 / Circuit Mono Station )
I also have a beatstep pro.
I'm mainly making techno and electro, inspired by Detroit and Berlin based productions.
I also love Surgeon, that is one of my favourite artists.

I just bought the Arturia Rackbrute 3U / 88HP
I would like to add some percussive, evolutive random patterns to my music, as well as ambient pads or drones with a bunch of effects for intros and transitions.
Here are the modules I'm sure for the moment.
I've chosen the SY 0.5 cause he makes exactly the sounds I'm looking for, percussives but pitchables untill you can play notes with. Can adjust the enveloppes too.
Pam's would sequence and control the sounds using beatstep pro clock (I also like the varigate 4+, but he has less functions)
I already have pico DSP for fx and disting MK4. I could change the dsp later for a Erica Synths dual fx or other.
I know that I need VCA's, a filter, Utility, maybe distortion, another voice module (I like Piston Honda sounds) and so on.
But I don't know what could be the more valuables module for the little amount of available space in the rack.

So, knowing this I would be glad to have your modules suggestions ! ;)

Thanks a lot, Cédric