have just watched some videos of the tetrapad and tete combo,defo seems powerfull,could be the way to go for me.
-- Broken-Form

Yes the Pad-Tete Combo is quite powerful. I can't think of any setup where they are not useful in some way.

Looking at your rack, i'm not sure about the ES-9. That might be a bit overpowered, depending on your plans. Maybe you have a certain use-case. If that's not the case, you can save yourself some major bucks and invest in more suitable gear. A good replacement for the Batumi could be the aformentioned Acid rain - Maestro. You loose some hp but you get a lot of hands on control and functionality for it. It comes with a higher price tag though.

so could you please explain why the lion is more suitable as a matrix mixer than the doepfer for no input mixing? or is it just differently suitable (ie the lion has this extra function that you would need another module for)

-- JimHowell1970

As for the matrix mixers, I'd be genuinely curious to know exactly what the 138n cannot do that the lion can. The price gap is quite wide, so I'll take some time to decide. DivKid's video is very comprehensive, but I also found a lesser known video of someone playing with a 138n and feedback. (What would happen if I played them with Landscape AllFlesh cables? That would probably be quite something.)
-- gio_coder

I think the pin-matrix is a major difference, since every patch point is a combined send and return. Imho there are plenty of ways how you can crosspatch and create Feedback loops with the lion. But to JimHowell's point, that might not be a big enough advantage.

p.s. @gio_coder I guess you meant the 138m not 138n.

whenever someone recommends a shiny new expensive module - remember to look around and see what else there is that will do the same thing (or almost the same thing) for less money!
-- JimHowell1970

Sure, you might be right with that, but there is a huge difference between the lion and the doepfer 138m. The lion isn't more expensive without a reason. And for his use case the lion is suitable. The doepfer is not (or almost not).

I've read about the no-input approach a while ago but never tried it. But if you searching for Modules who are producing a lot of noise, then take a look at the endorphine Milky Way and the Squawk Dirty. They are notorious for being noisy.

To farkas point. The Bastl Dark Matter does weird stuff and creates feedback loops, but i think it needs an audio source. I guess that is not what you want to do.

One Module who could be interesting is the Instruo Lion.

Maybe i'm totally wrong here, but what is exactly the "difference" between difference and the result of a subtraction? I'm pretty sure the result of a subtraction is called difference.

To this point...
CV1 = 3V, CV2 = 5V, Subtraction = -2V, invert that to get my 2V
I think i would just switch the two voltages, if that is possible in your use case.
CV1 = 5V, CV2 = 3V, Subtraction = 2V

I mean it's always good to know about alternatives, but Maths does all of this without a problem. I wouldn't even bother to use an inverter. A Full-Wave Rectifier makes more sense imho. MI Kinks has one.

doesn't disting have a cv recorder in it these days
-- JimHowell1970
Good point. They sure do.

From the top of my head, I would say the squid salmpler can do this. Maybe you should take a look at that thing. Or the Quad CV Recorder from Flame. Both aren't sequencers though.

I'm kind of a control freak myself so I've tried a lot of module for that purpose. I really like joysticks. The intellijel planar is great especially because of the built in motion recorder. The doepfer is also pretty nice. A bit more coordinates that are covered but unfortunately without the recording. And with a huge knob. Not really suitable for a portable case. The one from Flame wasn't really my cup of tea but I heard good things from other people.

Tetrapad+Tete are great too. They are not as hands on as the joysticks, but if you take your time with them you get a lot of functionality of of them.

As dedicated mutes I use the Addac 305 and the lpzw schleußig. They're both great. The 305 has 4 buttons who control the 4 inputs. And 4 additional buttons for a fixed +5v gate signal. On the schleußig on the other hand, you can mute in sync to a clock. Lpzw has a new module afaik, as an addition to the vpme euclidean circles. It has basically the same functionality as the vpme six switches but with the added sync function. I'm still waiting for my order, but I'm pretty sure it will be great.

One module that should be mentioned but isn't necessary a control module is the Acid rain technology - Maestro. It's an 6 channel lfo, but it is well designed and I have my hands on it all the time.

Hi mate,
I guess the word you are looking for is subtraction. Maths does that with ease. Maybe you want to look at this fine piece of work that someone put together...
Maths illustrated supplement (Page 15 should be about right)

In my opinion it's a must read for maths users. On the other hand there is the Addac 216 that has the subtitle sum&difference. If you fancy a dedicated module for that purpose.

Have fun