Ok interesting to hear and disappointing as the Folktek stuff looks very cool and actually really enjoyed the videos where they showcase the sounds - particularly where a kalimba was hooked up

Just been looking at the Chronoblob2 and does seem very good but seems in the UK out of stock everywhere! I did also notice the Zzorbs filter Alright Devices have recently released which also sounds very good - quite different to the Jove I have added to my kit but interesting to think that a combo of those modules would free up 8hp for the future. So many choices!

@baltergeist - interesting - I will check out Chronoblob.

How do you find the Nano garden? Am I right in thinking it is basically an Alter 2 with the mics built in? I am mostly interested in the Alter 2 due to the time stretching capabilities but wonder can you plug external geat through the Nano garden also?

Quick update question!

What would you think of swapping the Tiptop Audio One sample player with the Disting Ex in this setup? Seems like there are some great functions in there as well as the sampler and prefer it to the MK4 as the menu looks easier to navigate (although of course more expensive).

Also thinking of exchanging one of the Doepfer A140 ADSR with a Joranlogue Contour 1 as again seems to have a lot more functionality?

Lastly was thinking of adding a Pico DSP effects module as it is only 3hp and would be handy whilst I wait for the Folktek (if I still go for it).

@GarfieldModular wow! Thankyou so much for all of the input and very helpful

I shall have a read up of the modules you have suggested

Thanks to @Baltergeist and @Troux for your feedback too

Edits about difficult to find modules in the UK/internet:

1. Circuit Abbey Invy seems to have been discontinued/out of stock everywhere - is there a similar alternative Dual Attenuverter & Offset to recommend?

2. Folktek Alter 2 fx modules seems to be US only with a waiting list of about 16 weeks - is there something similar that could work? Although must admit I do like the design of this!

3. AI Synthesis AI008 also seems to be US only and with shipping works out $151 which is a bit expensive and I dont fancy the DIY kit as have no soldering gear - is there an alternative or could I live without it in this setup?

Also a question: how would I connect a Beatstep Pro as an external sequencer to this setup which would also sync tempo (either in/ or out depending on the situation) with other external gear and my computer?

Thanks for your detailed response - very helpful!

I agree it makes sense to go for a bigger case and so am now looking at the Doepfer A-100P9 Case PSU3 with 3x 84HP which also has a handle and cover I think which is great - I have updated the build with this in mind.

I took your suggestion for the Intelligel I/O (just what I was looking for - perfect!).

I wasn't quite sure about what to go for in a 2nd filter but the Bastl Cinnamon seemed pretty cool sounding and good value for the size.

I added in an additional Doepfer ADSR.

I know what you mean about the Plasma Drive but its so damn cool - I may in the future move it to its own individual case to use as a distortion for some of my external gear.

For the Oscilloscope - I am a visual person so would like to see what it is happening with the sound that is being created - is there something similar you would recommend that maybe takes up less HP or is a bit more basic? I guess I dont need to monitor 4 inputs at once but maybe 2 waves may be helpful.

One thing I am now not to sure about is I was thinking of using a Beatstep Pro to act as a sequencer and sometimes to sync between my computer and the system - not quite sure how this would connect in this build though?

Also with regards to layout, I am not quite sure what works well - I guess that is the point though of moving things about once you are using the system for optimum efficiency.

Edit: system updated

I have started a new thread as completely redesigned my initial idea based on realisation of the need for more utilities but would welcome feedback on this new idea with the emphasis on experimentation of sound and techno. I would like to sync this to some of my external gear including drum machine so have included the midi outs/ins.

ModularGrid Rack

I have included the pico drums and Tiptop One sample module as although I have a Roland TR8S drum machine, it would be nice to have the option of this as a standalone unit. They are also cheaper than the Morphagene I was initially thinking of!

This will be my first system getting into modular outside of semi modular synths so any advice is greatly appreciated. Also anything else you would add or remove? I was thinking of including a sequencer but for now think some interesting rythms could be generated with what is there.

Quick question: Do I need anything else for audio out to my external mixer for connecting to speakers?

Edits about difficult to find modules in the UK/internet:

1. Circuit Abbey Invy seems to have been discontinued/out of stock everywhere - is there a similar alternative Dual Attenuverter & Offset to recommend?

2. Folktek Alter 2 fx modules seems to be US only with a waiting list of about 16 weeks - is there something similar that could work? Although must admit I do like the design of this!

3. AI Synthesis AI008 also seems to be US only and with shipping works out $151 which is a bit expensive and I dont fancy the DIY kit as have no soldering gear - is there an alternative or could I live without it in this setup?

Finally - how would I connect a Beatstep Pro as an external sequencer to this setup which would also sync tempo (either in/ or out depending on the situation) with other external gear and my computer?

Thanks all - helpful and given me some good points to think about. I think I am going to start small with a few modules and really try and understand them

Thanks for the reply - I have updated the rack based on your suggestions. I also added in another VCO of the Tabo Mirror as like the drone it puts it out - but not sure if overloading or if the space could have been used for something else?

Another thing I was considering but I don't know if a better idea or not, is to just get a pre built system like the Erica Synths Fusion 2 and just add things to it in a separate rack?

Thanks for the feedback and some helpful food for thought

I guess one of the other things I am aware of is that as I am still new to this I don't want to overwhelm myself with things - would you think it may be better to simplify this rack idea - and what would you take out/put in? I could lose the FR Transient Plus and although the Morphagene looks fun, it isn't necessary.

As I say I started with the Erica Synths System 2 as a starting point but wanted to add some additional bits to go with it. I thought the Make Noise B&G system looked good but for some reason the demos didn't really do much for me in terms of the sounds coming out.

For the utility modules, is there any you would recommend that aesthetically look nice but are also relatively simple for a beginner?

This is my rack idea and hoping for feedback or advice as this will be my first delve into full modular after a Doepfer Dark Energy and Moog Grandmother. Is there anything obviois missing or seems out of place?

[Edit: Idea Updated]
ModularGrid Rack

Also I was looking at a Tiptop Audio Mantis Blue to house which has 2 x 104 HP and 6U. Would you think this would be OK for this rig?

A bit about my purpose - I love lots of different types of sound and music and already have my rig for music production (including a TR8s, OB6, Blofeld, Minitaur, Future Retro Revolution, Grandmother and Dark Energy) so this really would be about having fun and exploration with sound, but could be great to incorporate into my other work possibly - particularly as I would like to use this opportunity to focus more on creating dark ambient, deep vibes as well as on the flipside harder techno/hardcore (but don't necessarily need a system that can do all of that in one).

I have also been listening to a lot of eastern music recently and interested in exploring different rythms.

Although I know it should not be the driving force of decision making I am a very visual person so the look of the modules is almost as important to me as the function - I am immediately attracted to modules such as the Euclidean Circles as well as other interesting designs and colours. I'm not too fussed about getting things that everyone else has (although understand many modules are popular for a reason) but at the same time wouldnt want unecessary or poor value modules.

I was initially thinking of starting with an all in one unit such as the Make Noise B&G system plus which looks great and there are a lot of modules in there which seem strong but I don't think all of them would suit my style. I have however, been very impressed with the videos I have seen of Erica Synths and was particularly interested in their Fusion System 2.

Therefore my rack idea borrows a lot from this system but swapped their delay/flanger with the Folktek as it looks cool. I added the FR transient for drum/loops (althouh I have also been thinking of Plaits and maybe a 3hp Pico Erica Synths drum module instead along with the Euclidian Cicles to help with rhythm. I added a mixer as would like to connect to my external mixing desk to plug into speakers/Daw

It would be great to sync with my external gear but I do have a Beatstep Pro so assume can do via this to sync with extermal drum machine/synths etc. Its not essential but would be fun.

Yes you should be able to connet the Outputs from your module into the Ins on your mixer just like any other instrument. I have not used Reaper but assume you just set up the soundcard connections and select the audio channel with the module on it - at least that's how I would do it in Cubase.

Just do a couple of test records to make sure audio is coming though on the correct channel before getting too involved (I have done this before and wasted a whole session by not having the correct line selected).