this user has left ModularGrid

I recently picked up the Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles and love it has three analog drum voices and four sample drum voices and built in filter and effects. Works great and still modular. I also have DFAM that is great and recently a Roland TR-8 boutique that has classic 808 sounds and can send trigger I think to modular.

I love Pam and have two of them. But recently wanted a simpler clock and trigger device and bought a Shakmat Clock O Pawn and Shakmat Time Wizard. Really love the simplicity and fun factor of the Shakmat for making weird tribal drum modular beats. I clock my VPME Euclidian Circles with it for wild modular drum patterns. No menu diving.

Thread: surgeon 2018

I like his minimalist approach to modular dance music just like how Julia Bondar has that basic focus.

Definitely not Sweetwater! I like Detroit Modular, Patchwerks, Control Voltage, Analogue Haven and Perfect Circuit. Really depends on the sale and inventory as service is good at these places.

Thanks Lugia and Garfield!

Yeah I am stuck with the 6u Doepfer case until I can find an Intellijel 7u case or a Tiptop Mantis case back in stock. That would solve space issues. Anyways I plan to pair this up with my 4u Intellijel Endorphin.es case as future mobile modular rig. Still portable but plenty of power once it is all sorted and tested out. I wanted the Erica Synths Octosource but none were on sale so probably next year. By then hopefully I can swap out the 6u Doepfer case for a larger case that is still portable. Maybe I get something like a Case from Lake or Amalgamod that has lightweight but more space and 1u rows as well. Anyways all good as I still need time to learn the new sequencers. I am really liking how fast and easy the Black Sequencer is thus far! Same with Endorphin.es Ground Control that lets me play like keyboard in real time while running various patterns.

An update and swapped out Maths due to case size. I did add Doepfer VCO/Wasp filter and BIA for more voices as well as Batumi for more modulation.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Jim and Lugia!

Yeah I really am liking the new Black Sequencer it is super intuitive, fun and easy to use. I get some great patterns from it.
I have Batumi in my larger case and may get a Zadar, Veils clone and perhaps another quad LFO like Divkid 0chd perhaps to give me 8 LFOs? Anyways, I have to wait until next year to buy anything new but for now can swap out and use Batumi with Poti expander for modulation needs as Maths is much larger.

I made some changes and edits and here is v2:

ModularGrid Rack

Swapped out Black Hole DSP for Happy Nerding FX Aid XL, added Maths, switched filters, added another VCO and smaller filters.

Thanks Jim!
I can swap out the large filter for Erica Synths Polivoks v2 or Doepfer Wasp. For effects, I can swap out blackhole for FX Aid XL.
I just tested the modules and they sound amazing and Black Sequencer is really fun, powerful and easy to use. For modulation, the micro Ornament and Crime gives me four channels of modulation and Disting EX has some options as well. Problem in small case is the modulation type modules eat up tons of space. I look forward to your suggestions as always! Lugia also has great ideas.

Hi all,

I am planning an Erica Synths rack that can be stand alone or used with my 4u palette techno case. Here is the plan thus far:

ModularGrid Rack

For utilities, I have micro O&C, Disting EX, WMD Attenuator, Erica Synths Black Quad VCA, Erica Synths Black Mixer
Voices/audio sources: Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO, Doepfer VCO, BIA
Sequencer: Erica Synths Black Sequencer
FX: Erica Synths Blackhole DSP v2

What would you change and what recommendations would you all have for this case?
I can easily swap out modules.

Hi,

I am experimenting now with smaller case setups but have much larger cases for most modules and the challenge is to have enough room for a meaningful setup while still being user friendly. Have you considered a Tiptop mantis case? That would give you two nice wide rows with enough space for a good basic setup and yet remain portable. For my portable rig, what I am planning is two cases: a Doepfer 6u suitcase that gives 168HP for larger modules and a small Intellijel 4u palette case. Even then, I still need to plan carefully and cannot fit a lot in that space. I dislike 2hp sized modules as the knobs tend to be difficult to use in patches. Case in point, my 2hp Cat module while fun is difficult to manipulate when fully patched. A slightly larger 6hp sized module is much more comfortable and easier to handle for me with my fat fingers lol.

No, I bought a new Roland TR-8 their boutique reissue of the legendary 808. I needed battery power to pair with my OP-1 and TB-03 for jamming on the go and on the sofa.

Yeah good experimental stuff and amazing what they did back on modular years ago. We are so lucky to have amazing choices in synthesizers and modular items today and the market is exploding as new makers create new ideas that take classics and modern design. Like the Roland re-issue of the classic 808 drum machine the TR-8 is super fun affordable and portable for beat making plus I think you can feed triggers from the boutique Roland re-issues to modular and so forth. I have really enjoyed listening to old electronic music from Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream.

Yeah it gets confusing sometimes in how tags are applied to modules. Take Shakmat Clock O Pawn and Time Wizard it really is a clock module and clock divider but can have some trigger based sequencer features and some logic functions while still easy and fun to use.

Depends on the size of your case and how difficult to use functions and how much menu diving and hidden button combos are involved for me anyways. Take Expert Sleepers Disting EX, it packs massive features in small space but man that module is a royal pain to navigate and use without lots of menu diving and study of the manuals! I have an O&C to learn and hope that is not as bad.

In many cases, I like simplicity take clocks for example. I love my Pam New Workout and while there are some menus and encoders to use, it is not that difficult for what it offers. In contrast, something like Shakmat Clock O Pawn is still a great clock but dead simple to use and no menu screens to deal with.

Thanks jb- yeah me thinks this Next_G dude needs to smoke some weed and spend more time creating cool stuff to share with the world on his massive modular setup instead of taking cheap mean pot shots at people. The world already has enough negative crap going on. Plus music tastes vary so much. Did you know that electronic music pioneer Morton Subotnick album Silver Apples of the Moon would be considered unlistenable to mainstream folks today who are addicted to rap hip hop crap and pop garbage? It would never chart top 40 mainstream today but does not mean it is bad music it is very experimental like my stuff!

Amen to that mog00 and Lugia.
I had fun last night experimenting with Ground Control and finding the right master clock setup. I’m really liking my Shakmat Clock O Pawn and Time Wizard combo for making beats without a sequencer.

Yea these tracks I recorded are really old when I was a total beginner many years ago! But I’m actually working on a modular concept album and thus far most feedback has been positive! Now I’d like to see what actually music and albums this Next_G troll nobody has done? Eh tu Brutus? You are nothing but a sorry and pathetic angry little man who hides behind a keyboard and has zero portfolio or music albums.

Hi and welcome,

I highly recommend that you buy a copy of the book Patch and Tweak, read it and download a free software called VCVRack on your computer before you buy anything. That will save you hours of frustration, time and money. Thank me later :-)

Also, since you seem unsure on the complex oscillator choice, perhaps watch videos on these different oscillators on YouTube? DPO is quite different from Piston Honda and so forth. Also since you are brand new to modular, you might want to instead get a basic oscillator VCO module and VCF filter module. That gives you more control and a better understanding of how oscillators and filters work.

Agree this Next_G clown is a joke and troll.

"You will never record a song in the DAW of that I am sure. You already have problems to operate a simple Eurorack sequencer like Eloquencer, or your pathetic attempts to operate a simple mixer."
-- Next_G

well Next_G you low IQ MORON- I have recorded lots of modular songs into a DAW you JERKOFF Next_G so GFY you dipshit!
Where are your songs and recordings, your modular skills are PATHETIC. So quit slamming me and produce music!

Good explanation Ronin- you can also feed an LFO to the envelope and back to VCA cv inputs.
I use LFO more than sequencer gate to do this but can try some gates from sequencer into envelope.

agree keep the M32 out of the rack. I have a DFAM and it would waste a lot of valuable rack space. I use it stand alone fine.

Marbles is great and I use it in many patches. Another fun modulation source could be Acid Rain Technologies Maestro with six programmable channels of modulation can shape and save LFOs so cool! Filters- I love my Wasp and another cool filter you might consider is Rossum Morpheus Z Plane with tons of options. Bigger case a must.

To add images to the link, you can create a rack with your planned setup on Modulargrid and post the link within a message.

For modulation, take a look at Acid Rain Technologies Maestro. This offers six channels of creative modulation where you can create custom LFOs and more. It is one of my favorite modulation tools next to Maths and Quadrax. Batumi is great quad LFO as well.

Oh wow Lugia that Tarot looks really interesting! I’ll put on my wish list for now.
I just updated the firmware on my Endorphin.es Ground Control sequencer. That was painful getting the tiny SDCard back into the slot of the module since they put it on back of module. The good news is the update worked and I went from 1.51 to version 1.61 so I’m good for that now.

No worries Garfield, Vector is a great sequencer probably one of the best for melodic composition in Eurorack. I love mine the screen is bright and easy to read and creating cool melody is easy and love the variation options. I will do a review and comparison in the future to the Erica Synths Black Sequencer when I get it and have time with it. For me, 2022 will be the year to master my many Eurorack sequencers and not buy any more gear except for cables and blanks. I decided to slow down and master my dozens of modules. Most are easy the sequencers demand time, study and practice as each has different workflow and process. I am really liking my Ground Control it is like a cross between an Arturia Keystep Pro and WMD Metron but very fast nice workflow. Plus it even has USB Midi connection for working with other non-modular gear.

Drums benefit greatly from a compressor/mixer and attenuator. I ran an experiment recently with a few drum modules in my setups without an EQ & compressor and with EQ/compressor and the compressor/boost made a world of difference! Something like Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue or Endorphin.es Golden Master do the job well.

I needed a good supersaw module that would fit in my palette case and it worked out great for pair with drums. My friend has an Ensemble Oscillator and that sounds amazing as well but it is larger size and I had to plan space out my careful in the smaller case.

I don't have QPAS in the Make Noise Shared System it has Optomix which is a dual channel LPG that can work like a filter or VCA but lacking in more options in terms of what a traditional filter provides. Anyways put Wasp in the Make Noise case works well and the Dual Dagger in palette case should be fine. I was also looking at Endorphin.es Squawk Dirty but I have plenty of Endorphin.es modules now and have the larger brother of it in my Endorphin.es Shuttle System so a fun new filter in stereo is good. I also picked up a new Shakmat clock and clock divider module as I needed another clock to synchronize all of my portable modular systems besides Pam.

Thank you @toodee for that great recommendation. I can swap out the Wasp and put that in my Make Noise case which really is begging for a proper filter anyways as it only has a LPG to fill the space gap and get Cyber Monday deal on the Shakmat Dual Dagger. Chainsaw is super awesome!

Control Voltage in Portland has the mega sale on the Erica Synths modules. Not sure if they ship overseas. I score close to $200 off of a new Black Sequencer to use with my setups.

Learning my way around new gear and the Acid Technology Chainsaw definitely cuts through the mix with Doepfer Wasp
Sorry for my sneeze on the video.

Hi Garfield,

No worries, yes the beauty of modular and eurorack is million ways to do stuff and every type of music and sound possible. My first year was mostly weird ambient stuff but now I am making progress to create dance tracks and more. I like Radar as it has 8 EGs that can modulate and shape a lot of stuff. I like to pair up Maestro and Kermit with Radar/Blip combo for modulation madness.

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah I had to jump on that deal to complete my Erica Synths rack. I am good on purchases for a long time since I do have these two new sequencers to learn as well as to revisit my other ones that I have not used as much. Really enjoying the small setup with Endorphin.es modules as it gets me into portable dance beat making easily compared to other modules and tools I have used. Now in minutes, I can patch a set of techno, house and trance that gets people grooving on the floor. Even my skeptic friend Steve who dislikes dance music was digging the tones.

I would choose IME Piston Honda MK2 over Kermit for your VCO. More musical and better options. Kermit excels as a quad modulation source since the oscillator is too harsh in most cases. I recommend put a case together here and share the link so we can help you better. You need support utilities like attenuator, mults and so forth. I highly recommend the Kinks and Links combo from Mutable Instruments or something like Links and WMD SSF Toolbox.

Fun last nite exploring my new Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles and Ground control and trying various compressor/eq settings from the 1u Endorphin.es Golden Master module.

Still lots to learn but fun sonic palette for sure!

Thread: First build

definitely agree bigger case the Mantis Tiptop one or the Intellijel 7u no smaller. I use smaller cases but have much larger modular system to draw from as needed.

and you are full of crap Next_G so buzz off if you do not have anything nice or valuable to contribute. I always heard better to be silent than be rude. No need for that here. If you don't like my music don't listen!

Cool drone man! Just do what I do and ignore rude jerks who say bad stuff about lack of talent and what not like this one guy here NextG never fails to amaze me with his rude snide remarks.

Ah so helpful! I too am getting my head around how envelopes work with VCAs and filters.

Thanks! It really is a fun jam box and Endorphin.es makes great stuff. I can get the drums in one module and good sequencer as well with hands on live jam features. I love being able to instantly create cool stutter like effects easily on the Ground Control sequencer or with the FX engine on Queen of Pentacles.

Hi Garfield,

Thanks and no worries. I like Ground Control but I must admit that I’m still learning what it can do. It reminds me of a smaller and easier version of my WMD Metron sequencer. I did order the Erica Synths Black Sequencer to complement it and Rene in my travel cases since Erica Synths has a huge 20% off sale right now on most of their modules and I’m a fan of the Erica Synths modules in my system to use for the Doepfer 6u case. I figure that with four smaller cases, I can use each standalone or together for a larger setup as needs dictate.

maybe start just with a few modules and fill space in with blank panels?

Welcome and I just built a mobile techno focused system with drums, bass and so forth in a 4u Intellijel Palette case. So far it works great. Here is what I put together to help you as a guideline:

ModularGrid Rack

First, some advice.

Ditch the larger Desmodus Versio and get the smaller Happy Nerding FX Aid unless you plan on a larger case. Also get rid of the Clep Diaz, Mimetic Digitalis, Horologic Solum, and 2HP LFO. Get a Pamela New Workout instead as it takes up less space, has 8 triggers and greatest clock in eurorack and good euclidian sequencer plus logic and random options for modular and great for drums.

Get a decent quad VCA and thank me later as well. I know that you like Noise Engineering but their modules tend to be on the larger side and not idea for a small case. I also recommend a larger mobile case like Intellijel 7u case that is still portable or a Tiptop Mantis case.

I had a few Erica Synths modules and big 20% discount this week made it great time to finish my Erica focused rack to fill my empty Doepfer 6u case to use with the 4u palette Endorphin.es case and my other two small cases. My build so far:

ModularGrid Rack

I already had an extra Pamela New Workout, Maths and WMD attenuator and the Black Wavetable oscillator and Polivoks filter so now can work as a great supplement or stand alone. Sweet spot for small rigs is two rows of 84-104HP to get basics needed (clocks, sequencer, VCA, attenuators, mixers, etc). Any smaller than that you miss the key essentials.

Thoughts?

I tested the 1u Endorphin.es compressor and it is good so far and love the mutes. I wanted the 1u cockpit mixer but it is not available yet anyplace. Maybe later on. I did add a Ladik dual delay and micro O&C to the build once they arrive:

ModularGrid Rack

I have a Cockpit 2 mixer in my Endorphin.es Shuttle System that will be used in the future with this palette travel case. With Furthrrrr Generator and Acid Lab Chainsaw that gives me two voices plus the seven drum voices on the Queen of Pentacles.

Such a massive drum synth in small package

Loving the small mobile setup and can get pumping dance grooves easily.

Yup I’ve been on the hunt for over year for Three Sisters and gave up. Besides the Wasp is less expensive, smaller size and sounds massive.

I played it tonite and instant house and techno beats. Sounds amazing and fun to play. I have two O&C on the way one for this case and another for my larger case. I’m going to use my modular to record a bunch of tracks to remix later in my DAW to create some music. Really enjoying the Endorphin.es modules they are the closest I’ve heard yet to real techno and house music for Eurorack.

Wasps is a great filter value. I just got mine and it has a wild nature but can be tame. I’m using it with Acid lab chainsaw oscillator in my palette case and it’s really good.

Maths is really great and I bought another one for my larger case. I would add perhaps get an Ornament & Crime as it does tons of useful things in small formats.