this user has left ModularGrid

So looked at some options and updated my mobile support rig for use with my Endorphin.es Shuttle System:

ModularGrid Rack

I put O&C plus for support tools to complement the Apex module for plenty of modulation, envelopes and so forth plus it has a quantizer and other goodies. Plum Audio has a sale so I saved 10% and free shipping. I may swap that out with Disting EX in my other case and Ladik dual trigger delay when it arrives or just put these in my Doepfer 6u case for a second support case with the Shuttle System. So now I have two good travel cases one that lies flat and can use 1u modules for sequencers, mixers and support modules to use for jams and what not.

Hi Garfield,

Thanks yeah it is really a great modular system and pairs up well with the Make Noise Shared System and ALM Super Coupe. I will create a video on jam with it and the Make Noise Shared System. I like using tempi and rene to sequence the Furthrrrr Generator on the Endorphin.es Shuttle Control with it.

Had fun experimenting with my new Endorphin.es Shuttle System and love the sounds

Furthrrrr Generator and Grand Terminal are pure awesomeness. I also just received Queen of Pentacles and Ground Control to pair with it in a palette case. It will be my mobile eurorack setup moving forward.

Thanks Lugia and I’ll check out polycinematic as well as save up for a Sinfonion.

I had good experience just getting a Doepfer monster case and monster base case and using smaller cases for sequencers, mixers and tools. Now I’m saving up for another monster case to use in the future with larger modules from Frap Tools, Serge, Buchla abs Instruo because these tend to be on the much larger size and power requirements as well.

I have an Acid labs Chainsaw polyphonic module sorta on the way. What modules would you recommend to pair up with it to get maximum benefits? I have a sequencer, function/lfos and things like that for it.

Sounds trippy nice job. Did you use the Assimil8or for drums? I’ve been using my Squid Salmple for drum beats lately.

Polyphony on modular/eurorack is getting easier. I have an Acid labs Chainsaw polyphonic module on order and will try it out.
That said certain styles of music like trance and house are easier with a polyphonic fixed hardware synth like a Roland Jupiter X or Prophet X since they have 10 voices, filters, arpeggio, sequencer, FX and even drums on some Roland synths included.

Gotcha well I’m good on buying direct. I did that last year with Mordax Data as they were the only place that had that particular module in stock. Same with Noise Engineering for an LIP and 2hp for their catnip modules. Those sold out quickly too. Sorry to hear about your shipping nightmare Lugia.

Definitely the 1u modules get far more powerful at an affordable price point. Love that since I can make a powerful mobile setup. BTW Lugia, I did order the Ladik dual delay trigger module today you advised and I had to buy directly order from Ladik in Europe they are in the Czech Republic I believe since NOT ONE single USA shop sells these modules, why?

Lugia and Jim offer great advice and really guided me when I started down the modular Eurorack journey last year.
I can say that the support and utility modules really help especially as you develop skills and build larger more complex patches.
I am using a lot of these now like matrix mixer, logic, attenuators (especially for drums!), VCAs/envelopes and more. My new Palette build has more of these since I will need to fill in the gaps missing in prebuilt modular portable systems like Endorphin.es Shuttle System and so forth. These portable systems do have support modules like the clever tools in ALM Super Coupe but I run out of them fast especially modulation sources. Besides VCV Rack, I recommend the book Patch & Tweak and Chris Meyer's Learning Modular Channel. Divkid is good as well but he tends to rush through explanations as he wants you to pay a fee to join his Patreon channel to get his patchbook guides.

Indeed the XODES is an exciting development that will greatly enhance eurorack setups. I should get my new gear this week and designed the new Palette case to be stand alone as well as support other modular. I did add a triple Sloths module for future consideration to create slowly evolving random generation as well as the new Acid Rain Chainsaw polyphonic supersaw voice module to play with the drums for creating house and trance beats and a Doepfer Wasp filter. That way it can supplement the Furthrrr Generator in the Shuttle System or be a self contained beat making box much like what I have in my ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe system that is a great system as well.

Great discussion. I love modular drums but they are very expensive! I have ten drum modules and they are cool but I’m way more productive using a dedicated drum machine or sampler if I’m in a hurry to whip out techno or play live. Case in point: a fellow synth buddy kindly loaned me his Elektron Rytm MK2 drum synthesizer. I was able to build a compelling techno set in minutes. Plus can save and use presets. Now to do the same in modular requires way more effort, time, and cost. I usually just patch a kick, clap and hi hat into my Euclidean Circles sequencer and get a fun tribal drum beat going. But using Metron or Eloquencer to sequence is more involved and tricky.

The Rytm costs under 2k new, comes with what you need and is portable. Same modular easy 5-10k. I’m experimenting with a small techno setup soon once Queen of Pentacles arrives with Ground Control.

Thanks Garfield,

Squid Salmple is fun and really awesome groove box with filters and lots of sound shaping features. I am still trying to figure out how to sample external audio to it. May need to open support ticket with ALM to get that resolved just like sampling external audio was a pain on the Morphagene until I got it right.

Had fun last nite getting experimental with my new ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe system

This is really such a well thought out little modular system with all the bits and pieces one would need like clock, sequencer, envelopes, attenuators, mults and so forth in a portable format.

Thanks Garfield and Lugia,

Yeah the 4ms VCAMatrix is super fun and useful. The smaller knobs are a little tricky to manage if you do a lot of patch modulation in the main matrix but the cool mute buttons work well. Great module and having 16 VCAs that can be patched and modulated is a real powerhouse. I like this and the new Livestock Electronics Maze in my other case quite a bit to do fade in/out, transitions, mute duty and other useful tasks in a larger modular system.

It’s an Intellijel 1u format

So here is my update. Removed the Ladik dual delay since none in stock for sale now and have the 1u Endorphin.es Milky Way and Goldenmaster 1u EQ/compression for FX and also effects on my other portable units to use and my Bluebox mixer.

ModularGrid Rack

I did order the Apex 1u module directly from Plum Audio as no stores had it in stock. Should be fun times. But stupid me you don't need the 1u stereo out module as Palette case can connect directly to jacks on the case itself!

Palette Case
If you own an Intellijel Palette case, you can connect the Stereo
Line Out 1U module directly to a built-in pair of ¼” jacks, rather
than purchasing a Stereo Out Jacks 1U.

https://intellijel.com/downloads/manuals/stereo-line-out-1u_manual_2021.08.16.pdf

But no worries as I can always use this 1u stereo out module on my 14u MDLR case that has 1u tile row as well :-)

Now I did also add a filter and small voice module to complement the Queen of Pentacles and so it can be either stand alone portable jam box or support my Endorphin.es Shuttle System and other modular systems. Added a WMD attenuator and Befaco STMix as well as a 1u dual VCA module. So I think that for now I have the key bases covered.

Found how great matrix mixers were using the 4ms VCA Matrix for some jam session this week

Same here I have a couple larger cases and the small cases for swapping stuff out and using for sequencers and mixers. Most of the big shots on YouTube get free or demo gear so I don’t worry much about them. The ARP 2600 is great especially the lower cost version from Behringer and Uli also is recreating the larger Moog System 15, 35 and 55 synths at a way more affordable price point. I mean 3k for a Moog System 55 clone that would cost 4ok from Moog.

Indeed I have some on preorder as they are great value and will improve my palette sequencer case. I’m into techno, west coast and ambient music an area that Endorphin.es excels in since they are focused on modular dance music. Julia Bondar at Endorphin.es has great videos performing with their gear so they eat their own dogfood. After this case, I’m done buying for a while. With two large cases of Eurorack and my three portable modular systems, I have plenty to keep me busy cutting new tracks of music.

Many thanks Lugia for the awesome tips. What are your thoughts on the Afteraudio 1u piques module and upcoming Endorphin.es 1u modules? Right now the above case is work in progress and I have the sequencer and drum module on the way with the Palette case. I also have a spare Doepfer 6u case for overflow modules as needed. I’m building a powerhouse mobile rig with Endorphin.es to complement my Make Noise Shared System and ALM Super Coupe.

Everyone needs at least one Maths in their setups. I have one in my shared system and love it so much that I ordered a second maths for my palette sequencer case. Get the cv.ocd box let’s you send midi to cv from your Elektron gear. I use mine with my Octatrack and modular plus you won’t waste precious space in your rack for a similar module.

I’m building a portable rig but dedicating an entire 104HP Intelijel 4u case just to support modules with a sequencer and single drum voice module nothing else. I have two small modular synths that have support modules like VCAs and attenuators but even so the need for modulation sources, mixers and tools like attenuators and logic will become more important to you over time.

Hi folks,

I am building a travel case that has a sequencer and drum voice and need tips on what would be the essential 1u and other small support modules. Here is a sketch:

ModularGrid Rack

I plan to use it with my Endorphin.es Shuttle System that should arrive next week as well as my other modular travel cases from Make Noise Shuttle System and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe.

ModularGrid Rack

Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks Garfield,

I have a 104 HP Palette case that I plan to use for the Ground Control Sequencer, Queen of Pentacles and 1u support modules. My build plan so far:

ModularGrid Rack

I also have an Endorphin.es Shuttle System on the way! A trio: Make Noise Shared System, ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe and Endorphin.es Shuttle System should be perfect mobile rig for me with the OP-1.

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah these prepackaged systems are great deal and come with new modules that are not out yet like Milton and so forth. I knew how to use Pamela New Workout already so learning the Squid and Quad Megaslope is easy. Definitely more straight forward than the more esoteric approach of Make Noise modules! Anyways also have some Endorphin.es modules arriving soon including the new Ground Control sequencer and Queen of Pentacles drum synth!

Definitely some random cv modules would be great fun. I love Marbles and Wogglebug for random weirdness. It really spices up patches and gives some generative options as well.

Such a fun portable modular system to complement my Make Noise Shared System and OP-1 for mobile jams the ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe featuring Pam and Squid Salmple:

Thanks Garfield,

Definitely will post some of using the new OP-1 with modular. I am watching the Teenage Engineering OP-1 School videos and very easy and intuitive instrument to learn and fun as well. I love the cow internal FX and cute graphics when you play the synth and use FX and modulation on it plus small for travel and battery powered is super awesome! I am waiting for a Kenton USB to MIDI host box to arrive since OP-1 uses USB and technically can use the 3mm outputs from the OP-1 to modular but rather clock everything via MIDI from the OP1 to modular. Super Coupe from ALM arrived as well and tried a quick patch on that new portable modular system and love Squid Salmple so ready for new year to create music.

Doepfer is solid- aside from their crappy MIDI to CV module, their other modules are good and easy to use and affordable for eurorack.

Thanks Garfield,

I modulated the CV on the Jomox with a Doepfer LFO and that really brings the drum alive with nice fade in/fade out for the distortion and compression. Mutant Hot Glue is a great percussion mixer and FX unit so user friendly and powerful. I got my OP-1 today and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe modular system so lots to learn and explore and use together.

Per request some demos of the mighty Jomox bass drum module

You’re welcome Garfield. Yeah Wogglebug is great. I made a cool trance house patch using it as a triple oscillator into modemix and optimix using Erbeverb and modulated by Maths. The Make Noise Shared System feels like a complete and portable modular instrument. I’m glad that I started on Doepfer basic modules before the Make Noise modular stuff.

Thanks Garfield,

I love the DPO however if I was choosing a new complex oscillator it would not be my top choice. I would consider Frap Tools Brenso, Instruo Saich, Verbos Harmonic Oscillator, or Hexinverter Mindphaser. But it came with Shared System and sounds massive for kicks and so forth. It is a dirty oscillator but can do more mild stuff as well. I will try feeding Morphagene into Mimeophon and see how it sounds. It sounds great thru Erbeverb and Echophon. Wogglebug is fantastic as well. Such a well designed modular system for experimental sound design! I also have an ALM Super Coupe and OP-1 on the way to use with it for my mobile modular rig. Saving for ACL Sinfonion and Assimil8or.

Hi there,
That is a very cool jam and setup! I subbed to your YT channel. Love the setup with Rene and the OP-1.
One question: how are you clocking the modular from the OP-1 synthesizer? The reason for my question is that I have an OP-1 on order to use with modular and portable jams. Like how to clock modular in sync with the OP-1? I have wanted an OP-1 for a long time since NIN and Depeche Mode use them and they also have tons of modular and synths plus runs batteries and portable.

Some fun with Make Noise Morphagene

Good kick bass with DPO, hi hats/snare/clap from Erbeverb and madness with Morphagene.

Intellijel Quad VCA is great. I’m happy with it.
For random voltage take a look at Mutable Instruments Marbles and Make Noise Wogglebug. Both are fantastic but different approaches to generating randomness. Wogglebug can do some Buchla Richter type random voltage or work like an additional oscillator or random noise generator. Marbles has the ability to do Turing machine randomness which is fun. I have and like them both.

I have been experimenting with Morphagene and Erbeverb from Make Noise and can get some interesting textures. Same with Make Noise Mimeophon.

Thanks Garfield!

Yeah the Make Noise Shared System is wild fun and makes Doepfer look tame in comparison but I like both Make Noise and Doepfer modules. It is good to have reference point to compare the Make Noise Shared System to compare to the Doepfer A100 Basic System that started my journey down the rabbit hole of modular synthesizers. Lately I am exploring envelope generators and been learning Radar with Blip to spice up patches.

Oh yeah the Jomox is the king of kick drums! I love mine and feed it to Hexinveter Hot Glue mixer with compression and distortion sooo good! Now for the Schlappi 100 Grit that is a beast as well and the touch balls are fun. I find that drums benefit from distortion and compression. It brings them to life.

Lugia is correct. Another idea maybe get an MPC Live sampler that is newer technology and has cv outs for working with modular analog gear. For modular having plenty of modulation is key. I’m always adding modulation to my setup and support modules. Once you start patching you will soon realize how easy it is to run out of modulation.

I buy more support modules now than fun modules and they really advance patches. I am putting Livestock Electronics Maze matrix mixer, comparator and quad sequential switch to the patches and really amazing to split and mingle the signal from one oscillator into madness. Plus easier on the pocketbook. Several support modules cost less or same as one large complex oscillator and do more.

Had fun experimenting with Make Noise Maths and Erbeverb to do percussion and weird sounds.

Definitely get Marbles and Rings as they pair well with each other and Plaits/Beads for ambient stuff.

Ah gotcha sorry for that! Anyways sounds like a fun plan.

Why not just buy an Erica Synths Techno System and save money and time? I mean you practically have one and your system would cost a lot more.

Yeah Shawn at AH and Nels at DM are super helpful, patient and great to buy from. I am trying to solve an issue on my new Make Noise Shared System right output jack not sending audio to my mixer correctly and they have been helpful.

Well personally for a complex sequencer, if I were you then I would go with an Eloquencer, Vector 512 or Erica Synths Black Sequencer over the Metron for what you are looking to achieve. I have the Metron and the other sequencers except for the Black Sequencer. The problem with Metron is that it is not great for sequencing pitch or cv even with the add on Voltera module. It’s great as a gate drum sequencer. You want the ability to create complex ratcheting and random evolving patterns which are tough to do on the Metron.

Excellent well I do also recommend download free software VCVRack and try building a similar rack. It will be great experience and helpful in your planning and learning process at no risk.