this user has left ModularGrid

Jim's advice is spot on. Ditch the Bitbox , STMix module, and Metron sequencer. Get a massive mixer like WMD Performance Mixer or the Befaco Hexmix. I have the Befaco Hexmixer and love it.

No, the 1010 Bluebox is a stand alone mixer recorder desktop solution and not a Eurorack module. It has connections for modular using standard patch cables. Here is more info

https://1010music.com/product/bluebox

It doesn’t do sampling or looping just mixer and record and playback.

Hi Lugia,

Thank you for the suggestions. I’m looking at a multi track recording solution which is one reason why I bought the 1010 Bluebox. I already have a few traditional analog mixers. I do need a new audio interface that with guitars and synths. Bluebox is ok for quick and dirty work and compact size is nice. I’m looking at the Tascam 12 channel mixer recorder that has preamps plus an audio interface as well.

Glad to see that I’m not alone with problems buying from Control in NYC. I like the folks at Patchwerks and Detroit Modular. Knowledgeable, friendly and fast shipping. I’ve also had fast service from Perfect Circuit and Analogue Haven Shawn has a lot of hard to find modules and is helpful with my questions.

Thanks Garfield

Well I did sample DPO and Wogglebug into Morphagene as an experiment and chopped it up then modulated it.
I like Tempi and it’s fun to tap tempo for each clocked channel. I’m still learning it tho. Hmm compared to Pam, hard to say. Pam does more and has menu screens to program clock stuff plus LFO and random modes. I like them both but if I had to pick one, I’d still go with Pam as my only clock module.

Thanks Garfield,

Also since I am a published author for books, I'd be open to contributing in the future.

Fun jam based on my take of the classic Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon synth line from the song On the Run with some twists

I quit buying from Control in NYC after they took forever to ship items and screwed me on a bad cable that they lied and said would replace. Plus when I spoke to them they had major attitude, and were rude to me on the phone. Screw them!

I like Doepfer cases they do a good job on power needs.

Holy Batman, Garfield!

Such a magnus opus on modular reviews you have achieved with the reviews! I think you should publish a book on modular reviews and so forth. Your writing and research is quite excellent. Perhaps you could partner with Chris at LearningModular on this to share efforts? He did write the Patch & Tweak book on modular with Bjorn. I have the SEM filter as it came with my Doepfer A100 Basic system that got me started in Eurorack modular world two years ago. Love it. Makes me yearn for a Prophet 6 or OB6 keyboard hardware synth to make retro 80s new wave music.

Great discussion folks! I wanted a small portable mixer recorder that I can use with modular and other gear. So far having good results with the 1010 Bluebox. I do hope that they add new features like loop playback and the ability to rewind to points for each recording. Last night I recorded my Leipzig v2, DFAM and Make Noise Shared system. I’m thinking that it will let me use a lot of samples recorded from modular and less need to haul around tons of gear to live events in the future. Then I can bring a small modular for live performance and my Octatrack for drum and movie clip samples.

Cool I need to use the recorder on my Disting EX. Had fun recording bunch of synths today on the Bluebox.

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah I think it comes down to a hard limit inherent in the DPO module since it has only two 1v/oct connections so I could sequence two channels from Rene for two different VCO on the DPO for bass/melody. But I could see also if I can get a snare/high hat/ kick from Erbeverb and use Wogglebug noise as well to manage that. That would make me very happy and prove that the Shared System can hold its own as a stand alone beat making techno system against others like the Erica Synths Techno System and so forth.

Made a crazy bass jam tonite on the Make Noise Shared System using DPO with Rene clocked by Tempi and Erbeverb for effects.
I am trying to figure out how to patch a complete track with bass, melody and drums (kick, clap, hi hats, snare) using only this modular system.

Enjoy!

Agree. Well the Bluebox is fun so far and great little mixer and recorder for my Eurorack stuff. Should improve the process of using with my DAW.

I have both Pam and Tempi. Still learning Tempi. For precision and complex clock tasks, Pam wins easily but for quick and dirty clock tasks then Tempi is way easier for live performance since there is no menu diving and no need to turn the dial to set tempos just tap tempo and configure with a few button presses. I like them both. Tempi is more fun to use since it feels like playing an instrument. That said if I’m clocking a bunch of drum modules and need precision and features like Euclidean patterns without relying on a sequencer then Pam wins easily. I like them both for different reasons.

After experimenting with various ways to sample and record modular synths, I have to say that the new 1010 Music Bluebox has made recording all my synths and modular a game changer. Plug in and record individual modules or tracks quickly and dump the contents of the micro SD card to computer and DAW for processing. Really happy to finally found a fairly painless way to do this after suffering with the horrid Doepfer MIDI to CV module. That said, the other Doepfer modules are quite good like the filters, mixers, and oscillators.

Thanks yeah it is crazy good fun. Messed about with Wogglebug and Maths last night and incredible what those two modules can achieve. I probably will use Morphagene to play back drum and voice samples and chop up for playback in different ways. Figure I can use this and my Bluebox mixer/recorder for most live events. I may add in an OP-1 and 1010 Blackbox or Digitakt in the future for a complete trio with live shows.

Exactly right Lugia and Rene feels more like an expressive touch controller inasmuch as programmable sequencer. My other modular sequencers feel like programming a computer except for Stillson Hammer that has live slider controls. Really a unique and fun approach. Make Noise is a very clever modular group of genius inventors.

Thanks Garfield! I wanted this system three years ago when I had a 0-coast but it was sold out for long time and I started my modular journey with Doepfer modules. No regrets as Doepfer and other modules taught me a lot about eurorack world and I still use them. This Shared System from Make Noise is a work of art dead sexy and sounds incredible. I love the hands on approach to west coast synthesis that Make Noise is based on mostly. The touch controllers are a very fun way to create music.

Arrived yesterday and spent time last night patching on my new Make Noise Shared System Plus. Such a fun powerful modular package! Here is a quick jam I patched with Rene v2 and Tempi for sequencing/clocking the DPO complex oscillator with Echophon and Erbeverb for pitch/echo and reverb effects. This will keep me busy for a long time and no need to buy more stuff for at least another year or two since I also picked up some support modules for my other case.

Tempi and Rene are a great combo and it’s fun hands playable like an instrument. You can tap in tempo for the tempi channels to Rene and quickly change tempo and clock division for example in real time. I’m really enjoying Rene v2 has cool way of sequencing different than most sequencers plus touch based fun.

Supersaw oscillators are on my wish list since they are the core of trance music. Maybe in year or so. Looking at Acid Rain Chainsaw, Saich and others. Instruo modules are hella expensive and so may go with cheaper ones.

Quadrax with the expander is an incredible tool. Also check out the Maestro from Acid Rain Technology that gives you six programmable channels of complex modulation and you can save the presets for recall later. It’s a super fun module geared toward live performance.

Take a look at sequential switches and matrix mixers. Some let you create presets for recall. I’m having a blast right now using Livestock Electronics Maze that lets you build and save presets of cv control for recall later. So you can do cool stuff like fade in and fade out with patterns.

Thanks Garfield,

Yes, I invested in stock market that has performed well to buy nice modular synth gear and guitar stuff. At this point, I will probably not buy anything for another year or two since I need to renovate my home and pool. That said, I have plenty to learn, keep busy and make music with. I figure with the Make Noise shared system and my two large modular systems, it will take me to new places for years to come.

Exactly Lugia. We have lots of choices now at more affordable prices than ever before. I mean modular is not cheap but studio equipment is fantastic now we can get quality studio monitors, free or low cost DAW software and mixers for a fraction of what it would cost decades ago. I’m looking forward to recording modular into tracks once my 1010 Bluebox arrives and remixing into Ableton or Reaper than add to Morphagene for creating more unique mixes once my new Make Noise Shared System arrives.

No worries Garfield and I prefer larger modules but the 2hp are ok. Now the cat module is more of a gimmick spice module and I did buy on a whim impulse but it adds spice to my modular. I do have a Make Noise Shared System on the way next week for my XMAS gift to myself after waiting 3 years to find one for sale! I originally wanted that for my first eurorack voyage but went different direction 2 years ago so all good.

+1000 on the Mimeophon and I also like Happy Nerding FX Aid so much these two modules can do.

Hi Garfield,

Same to you, I was lucky to jump on the 2HP promo for the Cat v2 and Nip modules as they sold out quickly that day. 2HP is a local modular firm based in southern California so not that far from me maybe 300 miles so I received the cat modules in 2 days after ordering. The individual modules are 2HP in size but both combined are 4HP. Cat is weird feline sounds and Nip is an FX module that together form the whole feline and they light up in different colors as they are modulated and used.

Lugia is 100x correct. I would get the new Tiptop Buchla modules over Verbos and save money. Plus lot of issues on reliability and lack of customer support from what I've heard with Verbos. My next build will have tiptop buchla and random source Serge modules. Just like a real Porsche, there is no substitute for the real thing.

Mutable Instruments Beads, Rings and Plaits are my favorites with Plaits.

Fun jam today with my new 2HP Cat modules

DFAM is really cool and can do more than just drums. It’s really a complete stand alone synth voice that is modular.

+1 on DFAM and I recently bought one and love it. For my mobile modular rig my plan is to use my Make Noise Shared System once it arrives with DFAM and 1010 Music Bluebox mixer/recorder. That will be all that is needed for live jams and sessions at clubs for me and not hard to carry around.

Agree 100% and Mutable Instruments are some of my favorite modules. Marbles is great fun and powerful. I love feeding Plaits into Beads into Rings to Marbles for amazing sound palette. Emilie is a genius creator and really supports the modular community with passion.

Thanks Lugia! I will do that and look for the Blip expander for Radar. Expanded functions great stuff. I did splurge on a Make Noise Shared System this week as I’ve wanted one and most of the modules for a long time and these were out of stock. Promises loads of fun. Use Wogglebug with random cv should be great and Maths.

@toodee thanks. I have 8 VCAs in VC8 module, PLOG for logic module, Hikari Quad sequential switch and Livestock Electronics Maze matrix mixer for these things. Are you saying to get more of these things? I rarely use VCAs in patches or logic modules.

Good call on the 1010 Music bit box and black box. I ordered the Bluebox for mixing recording modular with my synths and will see how well that works out with my Make Noise Shared System, DFAM and Elektron Octatrack.

Thanks had trouble figuring out how to get image and link of the MDLR rack to appear in the post.

My goal is to have it be self contained stand alone instrument that can also be used with my other modular gear like the monster Doepfer setup.

Hi all,

Been finishing my 14u case and here is what I have so far and planned for the
future:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1391380.jpg

Open to suggestions as to what to add or remove to better tie these modules together for good performance and song writing.

in addition to what Jim and Lugia mention on Mutable Instruments sound, I would add that it has a very hi fi pristine sound that can be gentle ambient to techno industrial ranges. It records well and can easily create songs and albums. I have a bunch of the modules and really enjoy the huge array of textures and sounds from Beads, Rings, Plaits and Marbles. Plus they provide cool little modular nic nack toys like tops and so forth with each module.

Lugia, that looks like a super awesome modular travel case. I also like the cases from Nono Modular like the
http://nonomodular.com/shop/

but Nono cases are super expensive so I would go with lower cost options. I have also heard good things about Amalamod travel eurorack cases.

https://amalgamod.com/

For now I still have my Doepfer 6u suitcase for travel that is empty after moving my modules to the monster cases.

Solitud, nice the Doepfer matrix mixer is great. I needed a smaller matrix mixer for my MDLR case since I have most of it full now already. Been wanting a programmable matrix mixer that can recall presets for live performance and Livestock Electronics Maze looks super duper for that sort of thing based on video reviews I watched. That with the Joranalogue dual window comparator and Hikari quad sequential switch will let me build ultra powerful patches with my Hertz Donut and Trident for the 14u MDLR case. I do wish Intellijel would ramp up production of more 1u modules and cases! They seem to be shortage of that stuff now.

For dual filters I really like Rossum Morpheus Z Plane Filter and IME/Harvestman Bionic Lester as there are tons of sound shaping options and ability to even create presets for fast recall later.

I have Quadrax and the expander. Loads of fun and super powerful. Takes some time to learn but a great modulation tool.

Perhaps consider support utilities like a sequential switch and matrix mixer at some point. I use these utiltiies more in complex patches now. They cost less than shiny voice modules as well.

Very cool. I ordered the Livestock Electronics Maze switch and will post review once it arrives and I have some time getting it sorted out. I also ordered more utilities like a Hikari Quad Switch and also a Joranalogue Compare 2 Dual Window Comparator since Lugia had suggested to me that a comparator would spice up my patches for my MDLR setup with Hertz Donut and Trident. Perfect Circuit has a good Halloween sale right now and these are hard to find in stock so I jumped on the deal. At least support modules are less expensive than fancy oscillators and sequencers! My MDLR case was lacking these things. I still need a good quantizer but will wait for Shakmat to release their quad quantizer or may get the Instruo quantizer next year at some point as my Stillson Hammer has a pretty weak quantizer and my case needs one.

Thanks Nick! Yeah that looks cool and affordable. For under $200 very reasonable as well.

agree on getting the poti expander for Batumi it really adds lots of options for modulation. Batumi is fantastic one of my favorite LFOs.

If you can afford it get a Doepfer Monster case. I have mine half full and plan to buy another one. They have tons of space for larger modules, case covers and handles and solid power supplies for hungry modules. Plus you can stack and connect them as you grow. When I started, I had a Doepfer A100 Basic system that was half full of Doepfer A100 modules and 6U case that I quickly outgrew. Getting a monster Doepfer case was a great decision for me as I love modular and bought a ton of modules in the past year.

Mimeophon and Happy Nerding FX Aid are my favorite effects modules in my setups. Powerful and sound incredible.
I can get amazing textures that range from basic delays to warped drones from space.