If you are in the States, make sure you check out Juno Records (in the UK) before buying any XAOC. Their prices are great, and their shipping is cheap too.
-- Shakespeare

I'm in Asia, but you're right, their prices are actually the best I've seen! I'll keep them in mind when I order, thank you.

Also: you're probably going to want the 3hp expander for Odessa. I use it every time I use the module. So I'd suggest adding that in from the start.
-- Shakespeare

Thanks, that looks a like a must-buy for Odessa. I guess I need to add more VCFs and VCAs now though. :)

a lot of people like the overdrive on veils too - so maybe take a look. at that
-- JimHowell1970

I definitely will, I really like all the MI stuff - thanks.

as for an oscilloscope -if you are using the one in vcv rack - why not keep using it? as you have the es9
-- JimHowell1970

To be honest, I hadn't thought of doing that! Does it run as a VST/AU? Anyway, yes, I'll look into that.

I would try going to muffwiggler - there's a list of stores stickied in the eurorack forum - there are stores worldwide - not just US and DE! you might find something a bit more convenient!
-- JimHowell1970

I've been reading their forums but not the stores - I'll take a look. Thank you!

I think you will be fine with the Batumi/Zadar/Maths combo. No need to add Quadrax at this point.
-- farkas

Fantastic, thank you. :)

Hey, thanks everyone for the helpful advice, I really appreciate it.

I've decided to remove the Vector and just sequence everything from Live initially via CV Tools. I can always add an on-board sequencer later if I click with modular. It takes a lot of hp and cash for something I can (somewhat) replicate in my DAW. Although I'm really tempted to add a Metropolis there! If only it could handle more than one voice...

I've replaced the Tallin with a Quad VCA. I may go with two Tallins instead - the overdrive saturation sounds so good! Just have to decide if it's worth the difference in price...

I removed the Chainsaw. It's actually the only module in the rack that I was a bit hesitant about anyway...it seems like a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. I can get the supersaw and those beautiful string sounds (from DivKid's video) on my DAW (even on my Virus hardware), so again, it's not something I should add to the rack.

I've also added a Maths (now that I have space!). I have a 1U Quadratt and 1U Buffered Mult as well as 1U Noise Tools. Do you think I'm missing anything critical now in support modules?

Do you guys think I need a Quadrax, or will the Zadar/Maths/etc be enough?

I also have the little 1U scope as a learning/debugging tool (I rely on a scope a lot when using VCV Rack, it's really helped me locate issues when I can't work out what's going on). :)

I do agree that I should start smaller and add modules gradually. The only reason I've included so much here is because of postage costs - there's a massive difference in shipping costs from the US to my part of the world if you ship everything together. That said, I noticed it's much cheaper to ship from Germany, so I need to investigate that route.

I’m a Eurorack newbie. I’ve planned my first rack and I’d really appreciate any comments before I bite the bullet and whack out the credit card.

My goal with the rack is to use it to create sounds that are difficult to produce in my DAW with soft synths, and to just get a creative blast from working hands-on with hardware rather than plugins.

That said, I’d like to use the rack in conjunction with Ableton Live, sending the output back to Live via an ES-9 for effects processing, mixing and final production.

With this in mind, I’ve mainly chosen modules that seem to deliver functionality that’s unique to modular: Morphagene, Arbhar, etc. The rack also has a sequencer, and I’m intending to use CV Tools via the ES-9, but I like the idea of generating happy accidents on the rack using the sequencer’s probability functions, and just generally playing around and noodling.

The sound sources are an Instruo Ts-L, an Odessa, a Chainsaw, Morphagene and Arbhar, driven by a Vector sequencer. Although I’d like to apply most of the effects on the computer, the rack also has a Mimeophon just because I really love it. 😊

I may have too much fun stuff and not enough utility modules - I’ve got no idea! Any advice is appreciated.
ModularGrid Rack