I'm down for the tex mix but I'm not going to be buying a new case. What can I lose to make room for one?
-- padmasan

well that's a difficult one - I've only ever sold one module - because I really didn't like it and always added cases - I've built 4 cases myself - have you considered that??

tbh - I didn't notice the black output had mixing capabilities when I initially scanned your rack!

do you think you actually have a mixing problem?

I went back and re-read your first post...

what don't you like about your workflow? could it be solved with some longer patch cables?

have you tried both of the module arrangement strategies that I outlined in my first post?

have you tried taking all the modules out of the case putting a single voice in and working ou the best workflow for that, for you and then adding another and repeating etc etc

I'd move the mixer down and the squid salmple up one row, same with the shelves - maybe consider taking data out and into a small case on it's own... I know you said no to another case, but I'm just suggesting a 16-20hp satellite.... 5 bits of wood a few screws and a power supply - 50-60 quid... not another mantis!

that would allow you enough space to add back in some (or all - your little satellite case would need too be a little bit bigger) of the bottom row...

how are you using your step8 - as a sequencer or as a modulation source? I'd probably move this down too... same with Pams...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks Jim, there are somes great ideas there.

Can you recommend a power supply for the Data? Building a case isn't a problem.

The step8 is primarily used as a sequencer but since getting the Rene it hasn't been getting used so much but it's still used as more of a cv source than anything else.

TBH I never consider the rack to be lacking mixing capabilty other than fx sends etc

Thanks again

I'm down for the tex mix but I'm not going to be buying a new case. What can I lose to make room for one?

ok why are the spare modules not in the case (other than obvious space issues)?

That's purely why except the clock divider which I'd love to use but its depth is a pain and will only fit in one spot in each case. I'd rather not have spares and will sell what I don't need but this is kind of the advice I am seeking. What to keep and what to get rid off.

another way to look at it is to group by voices... starting at the left with oscillators, but you generally still end up with sequencing (control) at bottom left and end of chain mixer at bottom right... if of course you have an end of chain mixer, which it doesn't look like

Can you recommend such a mixer? I have the Addac and Tritone in the spare row. Should these be incorporated.
I thought I was doing ok on the mixer front

I don't like having spare modules lieing about - I'd much rather have some blind panels in the cases - so I'd be buying another case about now and trying to work out how to join 3 mantises together... I'm sure there are some ideas in the mantis thread on modwiggler... this may actually help your issue too... some space between modules can help with workflow...

Not sure how the wife would feel about that and I can see the blinds being slowly replaced by modules.

-- JimHowell1970

[https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2211371.jpg

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to my current rack which is housed in 2 Tiptop Mantis's. The bottom 5th row is there to show my current spare modules.

ModularGrid Rack

For a bit of background I was made redundant in 2020 in the wake of Covid19 and was fortunate enough to recieve a generous package. This left me with a bit of cash and a lot of time and having been interested in getting into modular I thought I'd jump right in.
So a few years later and I've clearly spent a bit on this new hobby. Prior to modular I was playing with DAW's and synth apps before buying a B##&%#* Neutron.

My problem is I'm finding it difficult to settle on a workflow which feels natural. I've juggled these modules around a few times now but as Tool once said "nothing seems to satisfy".

I want to make heavy distorded techno. I'm into Chem Bros, NIN, Deadmaus, Prodigy. Breakbeats etc and also Psytrance.

Are there any modules I could lose , swap out or aquire?

I've resisted posting a request for a while but I do feel kinda stuck. I hope one of you gurus out there will be so kind to have a look for me.

Thanks in advance

I would definitely heed Jims warning. It's about what could go wrong not what has gone wrong.

This seems strange to me, Why do people have an obsession with Black panels?
I'm enjoying the eclectic and wish those Red ADDAC modules were still a common thing, I don't want everything to be black, it can't just be me can it?
-- wishbonebrewery

I'm with you on this one. I think the patchwork aesthetic suits the modular philosophy

I’m a fan of the Basil knit rider as a trigger seq. I didn’t really like the 8+. I think I’m just more comfortable looking at a grid layout than the sliders.

Check out the Doepfer Dual Micro ADSR. 8 hp with 4 outputs and it's well priced

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-140-2

Fold 6 from Joranalogue is a great option and relatively cheap as well.
Both the core triangle and fundamental outputs on the G3 sound awesome sent thru it.
Filter8 is another obvious one as a filter and modulation source when in LFO mode.

Orbit3 is another fun modulation source.

Both orbit and filter 8 can also act as oscillators

Thanks Jim for taking the time to reply and for the chill advice.

I think I will just chill for a bit. There's tonnes of depth with the modules I have and I'm always learning something new about them. I have a favourite module every other day and this often has me thinking that it would now be p[laced somewhere else on the rack. So yeah I think I'll leave well alone for a bit.

Im finding the disting to be a bit of a pain and I'm not really using it. If I decide to swap it out I'll have 5 hp spare. What would be the most useful module for the size in your opinion?

I'm optimistically taking your lack of criticism as a good sign btw ;)

Cheers again Jim

Hello Everyone,

I began building this set up at the beginning of the year. I have been playing with synthesizers for a few years now. I started with IOS apps and logic pro and slowly moved into hardware. Now I'm playing with modular I'm completely hooked.

This rack isn't geared towards any particular style. I really just want to explore the possibilities that I hope this set up will allow.
I am definitely inspired by bands like the chemical brothers, nine inch nails, tool, prodigy etc

I have been diligently learning the modules that I have and have found it to be extremely rewarding and fun but I acknowledge that I am new to this and have so much to learn.
Browsing the forums I am impressed with the knowledge that many members here possess and would really love to here any opinions of what I have built so far.

I'm pretty happy with the modules that I have included but I wonder if there is anything that I have missed which limit the potential of my system.

I'm also looking for advice on how best to organise the modules for efficiency. I have reorganised the case a few times now and it has definitely improved things. I have found myself patching away and getting completely absorbed in what I'm doing and then when I step back and look at my nest of cables it can be difficult to see what the hell is going on.

Anyway I'd love to hear opinions/advice from you all. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Guru's

I've decided to start a eurorack build which I'd like to be part of my existing set up. My biggest obstacle is Wifey who wants to see a clear out of gear before anything new comes in. So far it's been a one way street of new in nothing out but that's not a sustainable situation ;)

Ok so I've ordered a Mantis and I've also picked up the included modules in a sale.

I currently own the digitakt and digitone. Also have the behringer neutron and 303, korg monologue, kawaii r100 drum machine and a boutique tr808.

I'm keeping the elektrons, the neutron and the Kawaii and I want to my rack to compliment and add stuff that these toys cannot do.

I like to make weird arpeggiated beats with atmospheric sound scapes (stuff to play to my mushrooms while they grow) and I love kick ass drum sounds. The R100 is sentimental to me but I own cause I'm a huge industrial music fan.

I'm interested to hear opinions on what the essentials are.
Do I need extra power?
Midi/CV inputs/outputs or will the Neutron cover this?
Amplifiers?

And more interestingly what are the kick ass must have cool beep boop phantasmagorifiers that I should chuck in this rack?

I look forward to your kind responses

Much love

Hi Garfield,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. It's very generous of you :)

Hi GM and thanks for the reply.

I must be missing something. All of these modules are described as Eurorack. What must they be compatible with exactly?

Is it a voltage spec or firmware?

I was under the impression these modules were universal

School me please :)

Hello all,

I guess this is the usual newcomer request for helpful advice thread.
I am a complete amateur with a developing passion for synths. I have recently ordered the Neutron and look forward to cutting my teeth with it when it arrives.
While I anxiously await its arrival I discovered this site and thought I'd have a play and hopefully learn a bit along the way. I have the Moog model 15 app and thought I'd have a crack at replicating what I could using the Behringer system 55 range of modules.

There seems to be a few gaps with what Behringer has on offer and what is on the IOS app so I'm unsure how practical this set up would be.
I'm definitely interested in putting something like this together once I know how it will all work and the price being as attractive as it is for the Behringer modules should allow me to just get away with it without the Wife getting too angry with me ;)

Thanks all and I look forward to hearing some thoughts :)