Ahh, that's some serious food for thought! Thanks for that! But to clarify, those are the modules that I already own. For now, I'll keep the scope, as it's super handy for me to look what certain things are doing. I'm not quite there's yet to intuitively know all that, so I believe it's a vital part in my learning. However, I may or may not get rid of the buffered mult at some point, if I don't really need it, since there's a small buffered mult in the Fusion VCF. But that's not pressing, as I think, I've got most of the functionality of the Noise Tools covered in other modules. I was also thinking about the 1U Midi, but opted for external Midi to CV with the Keystep and will probably upgrade it to the Keystep Pro, which should have me covered and will work with or without a DAW.

But you're absolutely right about the missing mixer. I somehow started with the DAW focused idea of just running everything into the ES-9 and multitrack it, to mix it further in the DAW, which makes me very dependent on a computer and also limits the flexibility drastically. The FX send/return sounds like a good idea, however, I'm wondering if its worth it, since I could save 6 out of 12 HP if I use the endorphin.es stereo mixer instead.

The VC Logics sounds really fun, definitely looking into that!

Also, I kept all the Fusion stuff in the same row, because I only put it in the case for convenience and will eventually put it back in it's own case, when it's time to start another row. I just tried to tie up some lose ends in that row, so it would fit in one case for the moment.

So I may ditch the Grand Terminal for now and go with a smaller mixer and maybe the FX Aid XL or Milky Way for some effects, which would leave enough HP for another Filter, as I still feel that the one Fusion VCF isn't enough.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated! (Don't mind the unstructured order of the modules)

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

Hey,

so that's basically my Rack so far and it has been a lot of fun. But for now, I want to fill the last 30 HP. I'm thinking about an Endorphin.es Grand Terminal, as it would provide me with flexible dual filters and effects. I'm a little concerned about the third set of dual envelopes/LFO's after the fusion modulator and Maths, but at least Maths would be free for more exciting things. So it seems to me, that it would solve a few things at once. For the last 4 HP, I was looking after a Clep Diaz, just because I would like to try some stuff with it in combination with other modules in my case. Has anyone here have some experience with the Grand Terminal? Or since many of you are way more experienced with Eurorack then me, does anyone have different suggestions, maybe even a different direction I should consider taking this?

As always, thanks for any feedback!

Yeah, I did that. That leaves me with 20 HP of 1U space and 6 HP of 3U space, in a case that should make a lot of fun to play with. I have ideas for future modules, but I think this should be a good start. And I can always move the Fusion System stuff back in its case and free up a whole row, if I want to expand.

Also thanks for pointing out the 1U sloth modules. Those look interesting!

This has been super helpful so far! Anymore suggestions anyone?

Thank you both so much for the advice. So I chose the Erbe-Verb because I thought it would be fun to be able to animate almost every aspect of it with CV, which doesn't make much sense, when I don't have enough space for modulation. So I revised the rack and got rid of the Erbe-Verb like you two suggested, and fittet more utilities.

If needed, I could free additional 6 HP by swapping the Tallin for the 1U VCA.

ModularGrid Rack

Hey everyone!

I'm planing to build my very first Modular Synth and I would like to get some feedback from the more experienced users. I have some experience in making and recording music in general and making electronic music in particular. So far, I did almost everything "in the Box" with software synths. I also have some "virtual" modular experience with the Moog Model 15 app-version and of course, with VCV Rack.

I'm less interested in plain modules that serve one distinct purpose and more in playful ones, that can do a variety of things and keep some surprises along the way. I also don't mind a steep learning curve instead of buying more beginner friendly modules, just to replace them eventually.

What really got me started was the Fusion System 2 by Erica Synths, since I'm interested in dark and drony music. So from what I learned about modular synthesis, I thought that this system could do much more, if it's combined with the right modules. Also, I think 2 VCOs, a VCF and a modulation section are a great base, with other useful and interesting modules in there.

I plan on getting the Fusion System as a whole and putting it in a bigger Intellijel Case. I wanna go for that plan for two reasons. First of all, if I was to buy the modules separately, I would end up at the same cost as the whole system. So that way, I would get a bunch of patch cables and a case for free. Which brings me to the second point. I can easily put it back in it's original case, freeing up a whole 104 row, if I need much more space in the future.

I went with Pam's new workout because of its versatility and the combination of Steppy (because it fits in the 1U row) and Mimetic Digitalis, because they seem to go very well together and the Mimetic only takes up 10 HP (and I've seen Ricky Tinez doing some fun stuff with those both sequencers together). I also want to get the new Midi module from Intellijel as soon as it's available, to sequence it from my DAW or to play it with my Keyboard, while having the ability to play around with the two sequencers when I don't want to use my computer.

I want to get the Mimeophon because it sounds so nice as a delay and it can be used as voice, that has a nice gritty string-like quality to it, which I'd also like to explore (this is one of the modules that I'm looking forward to play with the most). The Erbe-Verb, well, as a reverb, mainly because it's highly controllable with CV.

A Tallin for VCA since it can also handle CV. And the TriTone from Happy Nerding as an EQ, because it can overdrive in a nice way.

And well, a Maths, because I think i would regret not getting one, after I looked through the inofficial Manual.

So, after months and months of researching, I came up with this first rack. If some of my thoughts are garbage, please tell me. I don't mind learning from my mistakes along the way, but if there's something that I should avoid from the start, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if I'm missing something important that would get me frustrated, only to order it afterwards. Oh, and if there are any good ideas, I'd like to hear that as well!

Thanks in advance!