“Nope...try to avoid messing with the integrity of those Moog skiffs. They're pretty beasty, and drilling into them would sort of waste that.“

Ehm...Moog skiff? That’s not my..case..(lol). I have actually build it with plywood, it is deeper than the usual skiffs you can buy around, as I originally thought to fit in some doepfer modules. It could be easy to cut it and cover the hole with something to avoid dust getting in

But I get your advice, I should definitely go for a 4ms or maybe a Koma Strom PSU, they have passive expansion. Probably the ideal solution to power just another 60hp row.

Ok, you definitely have a good point. I got a question on this topic: would it be a good idea to drill a hole in the case to allow air to circulate better?
Given the power required by my small case I believe I could be ok with 2000 mA, which should allow me to power 120hp with no problems. Am I right?

Thanks
F

Yes, I concur with your approach to disting. I believe also troux suggested that module to try new functions and decide what will need in the future. So that’s a big yes

Re the cases, that’s purely the pleasure of diy (I took that from dad :-) I could have done it 84hp to start with but ok, I can build an 3-tiers rack 84hp per row with less than 100 pounds probably and stick inside a doepfer power supply and save so much..even though the main thing here is the satisfaction of doing it.

Thanks
F

Thanks for your contribution Luigia.
Here I see a few interesting diversions I will certainly explore.
the idea is to expand the setup over time.
Music is my (potentially bank-breaking) hobby, therefore even if it probably wise to think bigger from the beginning as you suggest, I am not in a rush and can consider the direction I want to take while I am on my way.
I will take some time to analyse the info I have so far and see what I come up with (When I was talking about equalising white noise I had in mind something with individual outputs which I could mix with an external mixer....you really hit the nail with that)

Thanks
F

Yes, I have noticed that doepfer generally has more affordable modules. On the other hand they tend to have 1 function per module. I mean, to put together the equivalent of a disting I would probably need 84hp.
They sound great for what I have heard, though.
The envelope follower is interesting, I think I will leave it aside at the moment, depending on how far I go with the idea of integrating other sounds/instruments in my setup.
At this stage I have only built the case out of a plywood sheet and a synthracks frame And today I purchased the power supply...soooo....1 module a month...I can’t wait for the next one. Hopefully with this approach I will have time to explore each module and get a better understanding of what it does before adding the next one

All very interesting! You are right, maths and disting are like Swiss Army knives and are probably worthy every penny spent to buy these.
I am probably in love with the complex modulations you can do with maths.
I am also wondering what happens if I feed the envelope follower with some environmental percussive noise lol..would I need some sort of signal booster for that, or the attenuverter in maths is enough?
External audio signal is low compared with oscillators, isn’t it?
I will definitely keep an eye on those 2 modules.
They seem pricy, but they are probably relatively cheap, compared with what I would spend to buy single modules for just their main functions...

Once again thanks, speaking with you is super useful!

F

Thanks for replying.
There are tons of alternatives out there, sometimes you don’t know these exist (that’s why forums are great I suppose)
So, surprisingly I understand a bit of what you did.
I see the structure complex vco, lpg,wavefolder, mixer, dsp.
I was looking at disting as it seems very useful to have a precision adder when playing with FM (it does also things I don’t quite get, but that’s the pleasure of exploring). So I am happy to know that I was looking in the right place for that.

Just a couple of questions:
Do I need another vco to modulate the two59 and for FM?
What’s on duty as LFO/random generator Would it be the maths?

Thanks again
F
EDIT: the multiplier was meant to be used to send the clock to multiple modules, not sue now I need it(maybe it is still useful to have one)?

Hi, I am new to modular synths and trying to build my first one.
Since my synths follow the “east coast” model (vco, filter, eg, vca), I’d like to attempt a different approach, adding 2 VCOs, one LPG, some wave shaping and modulations and an EQ to experiment with white noise (I have seen it on internet and sounds cool).
Clock and sequences are all handled via midi, so I can integrate the synth in my setup (Behringer crave, nord rack 2x, volca beats and bass).
Also I have only 60hp to start with, but I will build another 60hp case for future expansions, so maybe I should avoid large modules (just a thought)
Any suggestion? Does the rack I have put together make sense?

Thanks a lot for your help
Love
F
EDIT: added a complex vco (feedback two59) and removed the doepfer and the EQ. Not sure it works better? I also have 4hp free...any idea please, I am not sure I know what I am doing