hahahaha is it bad that I'm starting to consider the possibility of living in a van so I can dedicate all of my income to modular? lol XD

Seriously though thanks for all of your guys input! Excited to get started on this journey, so many possibilities to explore!

Thanks troux! :)
I really like the idea of getting the ES-9, having a hybrid system would definitely give me the biggest capability right now, and let me explore what I would really want in the physical setup next.

And thanks for the input Jim!
I definitely see this as a jumping off point for another case some point in the future haha. I know that I enjoy the workflow of modular from playing around in VCV rack so I'm hopefully not expecting to run into dissatisfaction or abandonment. I feel like I have a good idea of what I'm getting, but I definitely agree that I'm lacking in utility modules. I was thinking that a better play might be to replace ears with links or something like that, but I'd defer to your input. Ultimately I'd love to double the size of the rack, and would also love to get the full size of the Mutable Instruments modules, but just trying to keep the budget down a bit for now, and hoping to sell/trade up as I go along. Do you have any recommendations on the best utility modules to start with?

Thanks for your reply farkas!
I'm aiming for a sort of ambient sound, something close to ann annie, or state azure (definitely not going to get close to his sound with this setup though haha). This was something I put together in vcv rack a while back:

I guess this kind of style is what I'd like to get close to, but with capability to branch out a bit.
That's a great point about limiting myself with on the fly tweakability. My thinking behind adding all those in was trying to get the most flexible utility capability out of the small set up, and allowing me the most variety between patches. In vcv I really enjoy spending a lot of time setting up my patch and getting it just so and then letting it do its thing, so I feel like I might be okay with the loss of on the fly tweakability. But not sure how that'll translate to real life in this setup.
Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback! :)

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all! Putting together my first rack and wanted to get some advice and insight on things I can change to improve the system, or areas where I might be lacking or run into limitations. I see myself using this with my Keystep and midi in from my computer, and I think it would be fun to route in external audio through beads as well (I'm not totally sold on Ears, but its got that fun factor and seems like it could open up some cool possibilities). I feel like it could use more utility modules, but I'm not sure which I should prioritize on getting in there. I also feel like uO_c might be underused without too many modulations sources? I'd imagine with pams or pachinko driving it you could get some neat results out though.

I've already got rings and forbidden planets on the way (along with the nifty bundle modules), but any advice on what would be best to purchace next would be awesome.

Look forward to hearing your feedback, thanks everyone! :)