Thread: First voice

Hello!

I'm just rounding out my first rack (a 104HP skiff), and I need to choose my voice. I'm debating between a flexible traditional voice (my choice being the Erica Synths Wavetable VCO, or a small-form Plaits if I can find it), and the BIA. I've seen people do amazing things with the Basimilus, but I'm not sure which to go for.

I anticipate ending up with both eventually, so it's a matter of which would be a better learning experience and let me make fuller sounds.

I'm going for upbeat EDM sorts of things here.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response!

I do have an audio interface, but having done some research, I think an output module would certainly help me.

Feel free to tell me to just go reading, but do you have any advice on paring back? I'm having difficulty imagining that I'll enjoy making music with pretty much one voice. I guess there's always the option of building a single voice with a lot of modulation possibilities, and filling in the rest of things in the DAW itself.

I appreciate the reminder to go slow--so long as I get a decent case, I'll always have room to grow

Hi folks!

After watching a lot of demos, I've come up with the following rack, and I'm wondering if it'll do what I hope it will.

My goal is to be able to get off from work, get a patch going, and groove. I'm shooting for EDM sorts of sounds--a few drum sounds, a couple standard-ish synth voices, and the option for simple chord progressions if I really want to. I'd also like to be able to record my jams into a DAW.

I understand some of the joy of modular is going nuts and leaving more traditional synthesis, but for now, I'm just looking to get the hang of the modular workflow in general.

I'm also wondering how "playable" I might find this. What I mean is, are there enough immediate ways for me to directly influence the sound outside of patching to feel like I'm changing the music as it happens. Examples would include varying sequences, dropping an element that's playing, and otherwise keeping things fresh/building tension and release.

I'm sure something like this has been posted a hundred times before, but I didn't have much finding what I wanted with the search function.

Thanks!

A Eurorack modular synthesizer