I just got a Befaco Hexmixer and love it! Gives me 6 channels of mixer controls with mute switches and sends/pan and all sort of goodies. I was using a smaller mixer with Intellijel Mixup which is not bad for a small 3 channel mixer.
-- sacguy71

I'm looking into the Hexmixer now--thank you!

This is workable except for the mixer. The docs say: "Module A-138p is the 4-fold input module, A-138o is the output module that can be combined with one or more A-138p." You are lacking the necessary output module.
You could replace A-138p with an FBP 6 ch mixer. 6 inputs, stereo out, head phone amp, and an fx send to, too. Plus a cue function for pre-listening.
-- wiggler55550

Thank you, Wiggler55550!! You really saved me a bunch of heartache. I'm scanning around for alternatives now (I couldn't find the FPB unit for sale anywhere).

Have you considered buying a copy of the most excellent book Patch and Tweak by Chris Meyer of LearningModular.com and downloading the free VCVRack software? These really helped me get started for low cost and I still use them for trying things out before a purchase. Congrats on your plunge into modular world.
-- sacguy71

Thanks for this guidance! I'm reading Patch an Tweak now. I haven't really played around with VCV Rack but will do so.

Alright, I give up. Putting together a first rack is overwhelming. I don't know enough to make good decisions, and I firmly believe that I won't know enough until I have a rack to play with. So I pulled the trigger on this rack (just ordered all of the modules) and a MINIBRUTE 2S and RackBrute 6U. I'm excited and a bit anxious!