Thread: 60hp ideas

Morphagene and Mojave are too much in just 60hp

Check out 2hp Slice or Freez for glitches

OCHD is a great module, but Pam's makes it somewhat redundant in the limited space

If I were to design a starter system it would be (in order of priority): Keystep or Beatstep + Plaits + Audio I/O (if you don't already have a mixer) + Pam's + FX Aid + Maths + VCA

+1 for Jim's suggestion of Maths, but I'd hold off on getting a full size Quad VCA because the 2hp VCA is adequate until you have a larger system.

IMO it'd be more fun to get Maths + Plaits clone first. Then start thinking about adding modules to get more out of the system

Rather than 2x Steppy, take a look at Varigate 8 or SWT16+ if you want to sequence in the rack, or Beatstep Pro would do a great job if you're looking for desktop sequencing

Otherwise a good midi to CV converter to keep sequening in-the-box. Mutant Brain is a budget favorite for drums, or FH2 + some expanders will allow you to build a completely customized Midi to CV configuration

Some makers to check out:
Noise Engineering
x1l3
Error Instruments
Eowave
Animal Factory Amplification
Bastl/Casper

Given the contstraints and outboard FX here's a 62hp palette that I would find fun with tons of modulation and a lot of creative ways to patch
ModularGrid Rack

Starting from top left 1u row:
midi to get clocks, CV and gates from Syntakt
Steppy for 4 chan of step sequencing
Att (2x) to tame some CV levels
Stereo out to connect to the case outputs

3u row:
Pam's Pro Workout for clocks, LFO and all the magic of Pams
Mimetic Digitales for stepped modulation
Scales to tame CV modulation into notes
Plaits (clone) has the most sonic variety of any oscillator
FILThy looks like a good multi-mode filter and sticks with the After Later Audio theme
Stages (clone) packs a ton of features into a single module - LFO, Envelopes, Step Sequencer and even an Oscillator easter egg mode
dVCA is a good dual VCA

(preveiw is currently showing an earlier version with Maths that would also be fun - Wasp looks like it might be too deep for the case. click through for the updated rack)

+1 for everything Jim suggested

The modules selected are all fine separately, but don't seem like a great compliment in a small system.

Let me go through my thought process in this setup:
Sequencing: I want to use steppy and mimiteic digitalis since I love what people are doing with the combination, this is what really got me hooked into planning and building my own modular synth in the first place

Mimetic Digitales and Steppy go great together like peanutbutter and jelly. Add a quantizer like Intellijel Scales and you'll have plenty of stepped modulation plus good control turning stepped CV into notes

Clock: I have the Horlogic Solum in here for clocking, wich seems to have nice capabilities of also splitting the clock
LFO: Clep Diaz, but I am not 100% sure about it since the After Later Audio Clone of MI Tides can do LFO duties as well. Maybe you have some suggestions here.
Envelope: After Later Audio Clone of MI Tides

I'd drop these to make room for other modules. A couple of alternate suggestions.
1 - Pam's Pro Workout for Clocks, LFO, Random + Cosmotronic Delta for Envelopes / VCA
or
2 - Befaco Rampage for envelopes, LFO and has a ton of fun ways to cross-patch

Filter: After Later Audio Clone of MI Ripples

I'd remove this to make room for a multi-FX + filter (see Reverb/Delay/Distorsion below)

Voice: Noise Engineering AI since I like what people do with it. Still I am not sure if I also should have a second Oscillator in here, maybe a simpler one?

AI is a fine choice. Plaits will have more algorithms and cover more sonic territory

Reverb/Delay/Distortion: Noise Engineering Versio since it is flexible with the Firmware and sounds really cool.

Ghost would be a great all-in-one choice for a small system. It's able to do all these FX at once, plus it has VCA and Filter built in.

This is just my opinion. The great thing about modular is everyone can build a system exactly how they like it and everyone is going to like different things.

The best advice is to start slow and get a few modules at a time and learn how everything works together (and get a bigger case than you think you need) :D

Disting MK4 is a great multifunction module that does a lot more than just FX. Unfortunately the interface is not intuitive and that can be an obsticle for some people. Disting EX includes a screen and has a better UI, but the interface can still be cumbersome.

Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro would be the way to go if you just want an FX unit. It does everything well and has a clear UI

Endorphines Ghost looks like an awesome all in one multi-FX unit

Everything QuBit makes is top-notch, but for a smaller system I'd go with a module that can run different algorithms or one that can do multi-FX. If all you're looking for is FX I'd go with FX Aid Pro (or one of the smaller FX Aid) or Ghost. If you think you might want FX+Tuner+Quantizer+SamplePlayer+CoffeeMaker then go with one of the Disting

-EDIT: Take a look at Noise Engineering Versio platform. These can load different FX firmwares

Plus you get black Maths!

Personally I would keep mults out of the case and leave that 2hp blanked for a future upgrade/module swap.

Tiptop stackables or these hubs are great and take up 0hp
https://www.perfectcircuit.com/lmntl-splitter-hub.html

That all makes sense and does make a good argument for a professionally designed and self contained system to start with.

The Make Noise Tape & Microsound Music Machine is a great foundation. You'll find resources on patching the system, along with many resources for patching Maths alone

Adding Pam's and Midi and you've got everything you need for clocked modulations and synchronization with your DAW

You can always expand the system when you're ready

A sequencer would get things moving. Take a look at Marbles, Bloom, Mimetic Digitalis or the Vatigate + Voltage Block combo

Some FX to explore sounds. FX Aid Pro or Ghost for a great all-in-one unit

Unobtanium BLACK MATHS is a huge benefit to the OEM Make Noise Tape and Microsound Music Machine. Add Pam's + a midi interface and you've got a super powerful (and beautiful) instrument for found sound

IMO there are alternate choices to the included Make Noise modules that would have more utility, but the Make Noise system is very well designed as-is.

If I were to home-brew a similar system I'd make different choices starting with a Tiptop Mantis case:
Include Pam's
Marbles over Woggle
Stages over Maths
Include MISO & Veils
Nebulae v2 over Morphagene
Ikari over Qpas
Happy Nerding FX Aid Pro over Mimeophon
Include BitBox Micro (or Squid Salmple, or Assimil8or)
Include Befaco Instrument Interface v2
Include Befaco Out v3

IMO this would be an awesome foundation for experimentation that can be built upon to taste. Then I'd add an ES9 to have a direct audio interface in the rack and VCV for a hybrid workflow. Then I'd start adding sequencers like Rene and more utilities like a matrix mixer

It's all a very personalized experience and what works well for me may be a nightmare for you, but there are some tried a true rules that are repeated over and over again

Get a bigger case than you think you need and start slow to avoid sticker shock and dissapointment. Expect to swap out modules of similar function to fit your preferences

+1 for everything Jim says (as always)

You should expect your system to evolve as your needs change. The best advice I recieved is to start with just a few modules and learn how they fit into your workflow, then start adding modules that will expand and support your workflow

Mutable Instruments made some of the most innovative modules that have a bunch of different ways of patching. Stages for example can be envelopes/LFOs/StepSequencer or an oscillator. Great choice to go with MI as a brand

If you'll be working with found sounds a sampler might be a great addition to this system. ALM Squid or BitBox would be awesome.

Here's where I would start based on your description:
Keystep - Midi-CV
Clock - Pam's (for clocks and slow evolving LFO/Random)
Sound Source - Plaits
Filter - to taste (Cinnamon, Ikari, Wasp, lot's of great choices)
Sampler - BitBox Micro (also has Midi in)
External - Somethign to make connecting Mic or 1/4 instrument easy
Modulation - Stages/Clone for Envelopes and modulation
VCA - Veils/Clone
FX - to taste (Morphagene and Memeophone are very good, but there are TONS of amazing FX)
Audio Mixer - Something that interfaces with your other equipment well

This would be a fine starter system with lots of flexibility. Then I'd start adding things like a Marbles clone and other things that are in your original system

Patch a random from Pams (or an LFO from Maths) into Plaits Model input while triggering Plaits at a rythmic interval

+1 on utilities to get more out of this rack. Some suggestions below

Adding some random always makes things more interesting. MI Marbles, SSF Ultra Random or Frap Tools Sapel are just a few of the best at random. A sequencer like Mimetic Digitales that can be randomized would be a great source to add stepped modulation and interest to all the voices

There are some great multi-fuction modules that encourage creative patching. Maths is one, but Muxlicer, Stages and Tides also pack a bunch of different capabilities into a single module

If you're looking to work more 'in-the-box' Expert Sleepers ES9 audio interface is awesome for building a hybrid system with VCV rack. VCV alone will open a world of possibilities. Bonus ES9 feature is the MPC can use it to expand it's audio I/O and sample directly from the modular (depending upon the MPC firmware)

Lots of little utilities add flavour, consider adding things like a sample & hold, clock multiplier/divider, sequential switch and CV attenuation/inversion/mixing

Every rack will benefit from Pamelas Workout (New/Pro). Definitely a great 3rd module

Pico Seq is a fun little pitch sequencer
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-pico-seq

Mimetic Digitalis would pair great with Plaits
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-mimetic-digitalis-black

FX Aid is awesome for such a small case. Check if it will fit the depth of your case

It seems that there are different modes for Midi Start depending upon how it's receiving CV clock and if there's a CV start or not.

go to 1:50

Varigate 8+ is worth looking at to create intricate patterns that can be saved, recalled or generated on the fly

Basek is a wizard with it

Expert Sleepers ES9 is incredible for in-the-box composing and recording with Ableton.

A few years ago I hacked some Maxforlive CV tools to work with the ES expanders (ES5, ESX8GT & ESX8CV)
https://maxforlive.com/profile/user/bhenry1790

ES9 + VCV Rack opens up a lot of flexibility for a hybrid system

Malekko Voltage Block might be worth consideration. It can output quantized sequences, but it's a little fiddly if trying to hit precise notes. Similar to Bloom it can be a happy accident machine

So I was missing something ! Thanks a lot, the Disting Mk4 seems to be for me... (diving into Arduino would be super great.. but I've no time in my life for that..)
-- patchable

Always convenient to have a Disting laying around whenever you need (x)

Still overkill, but it seems like Befaco CV Thing will do Midi clock
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-cv-thing

Too bad the VPME.de trig31 doesn't seem to do Midi clock. Just the right amount of kill otherwise.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vpme-de-trig31

Or set and forget a Disting Mk4

Plaits is a perfect first module. Keystep or Beatstep would be nice addition for controller and starter sequencer

Thread: Last 8 Hp

Dump the mult to add 2 more HP. Then there's 10hp... enough room for Zadar or one of the new Noise Engineering FX modules

:D

Thread: Prototype

Get ready for your mind to be blown.

Check out the ES9 (or another class compliant audio interface) to use with the MPC Live 2.

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263482

below is copy-paster from OP (Crevice) on the Modwiggler thread:

• The MPC one as a mixer for all ES9 inputs, with volume control, mute, pan, and effects. You can can control the volume with the qlinks, add effects, compression, etc. Similar to aum on the iPad, but with physical controls and knobs.

• Record your live jams, with individual tracks for each input. Then use the MPC export function to send stems to your daw for further mixing.

• Send 8 separate outputs of the MPC One to the ES9 outputs and then patch those to various modules, I love sending samples to morphagene, beads, Panharmonium, etc. Also, it's very fun to use the splice functionality and send splice samples into morphagene and create reals.

• The obvious one, but sample all of your various es-9 inputs, chop em up, mangle them, and then send them back to your modular world for effects. All over 1 single USB cable.

It really works amazing as a little brain to feed audio to your modular setup and accept audio from it, without needing a computer. Also they added some good piano and string plugins, so I've been recording loops with those and sending to my modular effects as well via the ES9.

It's possible that I misread the specs, but Weather Drone seems like it's a full synth voice. If that is the case, all it really needs is a Keystep (or Beatstep) to get bleeping/blooping melodic note sequences right away. It could be done with the Keystep's onboard sequencer, or drive the Keystep CV outs from Ableton

The output module is nice if you want to connect headphones directly, but it's not necessary if you already have a mixer or sound card for your computer.

A basic synth voice would be:
Oscillator - Filter - Envelope - VCA

All of the above appears to be included in Weather Drone along with an LFO, sample and hold and some other nice bonus stuff.

If you want to keep sequencing in the rack. Check out the full line of Pico and Ladik modules. They have some great budget minded gate and CV sequencers.

Pico Seq is a personal favorite of mine.

Pip Slope + O/A/x2 combo looks pretty awesome, but IMO function generators are best in pairs. Patching one into another to make all sorts of wild modulations.

Maybe consider 2x Pip before getting the mix/atten

or After Later QARV is cheaper than (2x) Pip and has more capabilities
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/after-later-audio-qarv

Tip Top - Miso has 4 channels and is the same price as O/A/x2

Weather Drones looks like a pretty complete noise-maker that would benefit from dynamic modulation and some effects.

Instead of the basic envelope / lfo consider Pam's New Workout (Pro), Zadar or maybe even Maths would give you a ton of fun modulation to patch in.

FX Aid to add a bunch of great effects algorithms

Worng Soundstage or Jumble Henge might help each sound find room in the mix

Cosmotronic Delta-V is a good alternate for Maths and is available in black. Add a black Miso for mixing and attenuverting.

Befaco Rampage is another great alternate for Maths

Take a look at the Noise Engineering effects modules

Mantis is ugly, but a great value (and available in black)

Thread: Drum Rack

The best advice is to start slow. Get only a few modules at a time. Learn them and figure out what modules to get next as you figure out a workflow

Just spitballing modules that I'd want to include...

Sound Generation:
Quad Drum + Qex expander or Erica Synths LXR should be on the top of your list for drum sounds. Either of these alone could start banging out beats with a sequencer (like Beatstep).

Basimilus Iteritas Alter is THE king of kicks, but Kickain is a newer option that looks really good too

Check out Percall if your thinking about creating drum sounds from "scratch" with oscillators and noise

Sequencing:
Euclidian Circles

Varigate 8+ with Voltage Block is an incredible combo for sequencing gates and stepped modulation

Check out the full suite of 4ms clock modules (+ expanders). Rotating Clock Divider is an all-time favorite. Quad Clock Distributer and Shuffling Clock Multiplier+ are all amazing. Pingable Envelope Generator for modulation

There's a lot of rhythmic fun to be had with gate generators like Grids, Zularic/Numetic, Knights Gallop and Moffenzeef MITO. Add in some logic and sequential switches for more variety.

Pamela's Workout is useful in every rack

Mixers:
Jumble Henge
Tesseract mixers + output module or Cosmix

Effects:
Tons of great choices for multi effects or specialized reverbs/delays. FX Aid sounds great and has many algorithms.

Voltage Block would be a nice addition if you'd consider a non-effects module. There's lots of opportunity in this rack to send stepped modulation and alter many parameters at once

An alternate idea would be Mimetic Digitalis + one of the new NE effects modules

Agreed that Morphagene is too big for a small case

There's a ton of videos on YouTube with experts creating nice small systems using the Palette case. It's much more difficult than it looks!

Everyone should get Pam's eventually, but since you already have uO_C it might be better to go with 1u Steppy until you get a bigger case

Here's my suggestions for good compliments to uO_C and Plaits:
1u Steppy for gate sequencing
vpme Quad Drum or Erica Synths Sample Drum
Ghost or FX Aid
Delta V or Maths for envelope generation

I don't have a Lyra, so my entry is an unqualified guess at the user experience with 4 voices instead of 8

ModularGrid Rack

4 voices from chord
4 complex envelopes from Zadar
4 VCA and mixer from Texmix
LYRA for FX
Touch Control from Pressure Points

Added some alternates:
Tetra instead of Pressure Points
A couple of the Noise Engineering FX instead of LYRA FX

Malekko has a whole ecosystem of modules that work amazing with the Varigate 8+. Rotating Clock Divider can take advantage of the bus clock sent by the Varigate

Swap the Tangle Quartet for the Malekko Quad VCA and your Varigate will save/swap presets on the VCA!

Voltage Block would be a great addition.

made some adjustments:
ModularGrid Rack

Rample might be fun instead of BIA and the 2 other 2hp drum modules

Sanity check: for the price of this rack you could get several synths and drum machines

the EricaSynths case looks like a good one

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/enclosures/travel/travel-case/

Sanity check: For the cost of this rack you could get some great synths and outboard gear

Check out this video of Phase Fatale's creative process

The best advice is to get a bigger case than you think you'll need and start slow. Buy just a few essential modules, then add as you learn what you need

Metropolix, Brains (or Plaits) and Function Junction would be a good starting system

Hmm, that's a lot in a small space.

The 2hp VCA feels a little redundant with the larger one in there too. Here's some conflicting suggestions if you drop it and free up 2hp:
swap the FX-Aid for an FX-Aid XL
or...
Disting can also be a clock, so maybe also drop the 2hp Clk and swap the DistingMK4 for the DistingEX

O/C + Plaits + a headphone out is all you'd really need to get started making bloops. Then start adding FX or anything you feel is missing

EDIT: Maybe 1 channel of Pons Asinorum in LFO mode could be used as a clock?

Don't waste HP on the multiple

An envelope / LFO like Pons Asinorum would be a good choice

I'd keep one of the Pico Drums drop the 2nd, and drop the Pico Scale

Maybe switch the DistingMk4 for DistingEX

If there's room swap the 2hp VCA for one of the 4HP 2x VCA Veils clone

Here's an update with headphone out and a stereo mixer. (click through - the preview isn't updating)

ModularGrid Rack

Sanity check... MPC Live II or Synthstrom Deluge are about 1/2 the price of this rack. Both are portable, battery powered and have everything needed to compose full complex songs.

Ghost packs so much sound shaping into a single module it's impressive. Delay, Reverb, Compression (with side chain), VCA, multiple distortions, multi-mode filter PLUS the effects chain can be reordered with a single button press. To be honest I added it here because I want one, and I think it'd be awesome for a small standalone system.

Admittedly separate modules for all of the above will have greater flexibility, but also at greater space and greater cost. None will provide the instant gratification of a single module that does them all simultaneously.

The fun thing about modular is figuring out what works best for each us personally

Common advice to everyone is to get a bigger case than you think you'll need. AND start slow. Get a few modules at a time. Use them for a while to learn what you'd like to add next.

Pam's, Plaits and headphone out is enough to start making noises

Get a bigger case. TipTop Mantis is a favorite for it's value / high quality

If the 62hp case is too irresistible, here's a small self contained system would be fun to jam with

ModularGrid Rack

3u:
Pam's for sequencing gates and clocked modulation
Pico Seq for note sequencing
Plaits to generate a wide range of sounds
BIA for Kicks / Bass and weird sounds
Delta-V for function generator / VCA
Pico Drums for samples
Ghost for FX

1u:
Steppy for gate sequencing
Chainable stereo mixers

Thanks bro, this thread is 2 years old, I just came back to thanks everyone that helped me to start.
I actually have the VB.
Picture of my rack in my last message 🙂
Regards,
-- Zederwald

haha! nice!

I suggest adding a Voltage Block to modulate the BIA

Check out:

+1 on FX Aid

Check out Pamela's New Workout instead of the Doepfer LFO, Maths instead of ADSR

Plaits oscillator will get you the most variety of sounds without needing Filters, VCA, Envelopes, etc.

Klavis Twin Waves is an amazing VCO, but you'll definitely need to add a VCA. There are some great Veils VCA clones.

Behringer can be controversial, maybe swap the filter from a reputable manufacturer. TipTop Forbidden Planet and MI Ripples are great all-rounders. Xaoc Belgrad is legendary

Thread: 84HP Rack

this looks like a nice little system as long as you have some way to send CV and Gates to it.

Keystep would be a great addition if you don't have something already

Go with Plaits. Plaits is a full voice that contains an internal Filter and VCA

Twin Waves is somewhat similar to the Erica Synths VCO. Both will need additional modules to shape the sound. Typically a VCO will be complimented with an Envelope Generator, Filter, VCA

Pamela's New Workout and/or Marbles are great for rhythmic/generative gates/CV

Is there a way to create repeating random stepped voltages just like the voltage block?
-- Polyterative

yep. easy

Set an output waveform to random, then set number of beats to loop

+1 for FX Aid XL

Thread: First Idea

Check out VCV Rack and a few Omri Cohen YouTube tutorials to get familiar with the concepts of modular synthesis

Then get a bigger case with more power than you think you'll need

A minimal starter setup would be Keystep (or Beatstep) + Plaits (or Chord) + some way to hear the sound (like a mixer or ALM HPO)

Keystep CV and Gate outs will go to control Plaits V/OCT and TRIG. Plaits OUT to mixer or headphone amp.

Next steps should be modules that can do more with this setup. Pam's New Workout or Maths would be great to add modulation to Plaits parameters