Great to hear, Jim, thank you. Yeah, I want to keep things relatively small (otherwise I'll be tempted to spend more money than I should on this), and therefore gradually add modules to this case and see what sounds I can get out of it. Ultimately I'd love to have one of these cases set up for straight-up techno, one for straight-up ambient, and then combine them from time to time to do experimental things, but I'm a few years and a lot of experimentation off that yet!

is the case a intellijel 7u? if so why the uZeus? will the uZeus even with the big power supply be enough for the modules if not (remember to leave at least 25% headroom)

-- JimHowell1970

Yeah, the uZeus was thrown in because I thought the total draw would be too much for the Intellijel case (and I already have one, so it would be straightforward). You reckon it's unnecessary? Or not enough even with the case's power as well?

Lugia... I've followed your work on here for a while and feel honoured to have my efforts stroked by your wisdom. It's going to take me a few days to process everything you've said and look into each of the modules you've mentioned, but I'll absolutely do so. That said, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up the drums yet! It may indeed be excessive, but I have sounds in mind involving drums becoming not-drums which (in addition to the more glitchy stuff) would be more limited with a drum machine. Plus the purity instinct of keeping it in the case, which I'm sure you can understand.

Thanks both of you for taking the time - I'm going to be bold and assume you're right about the excess of sound sources! I'll take a few days to re-think...

It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: this will be a gradual thing and therefore inevitably subject to evolution, including new modules I come across and getting rid of ones which are surplus to requirements. Bass is on its way, I already have the Eloquencer, Sloths, and Clouds (which I'm intending to swap for Monsoon), so I'll be learning a module at a time, not trying to mash my brain by doing everything at once.

So, I'm gradually assembling something along these lines. I've done a load of research and think I'm fairly settled on the 'voice' modules, though I'm open to suggestions on the Erica Hats, the knit (plaits) and the Sample Drum in particular.

My main question though, is what utility type modules have I missed? 'VCAs' is the obvious answer, but I'm not sure where they'd be of particular value here - am I wrong? And what else do I need that I haven't thought of?

Also, I'm by no means sure about the Steppy. I've been impressed by what Ricky Tinez has got out of it and reckon it could be useful clocked to 1/4 speed (or something) and used to sequence the Ensemble Oscillator, for example. But with the Eloquencer already in place (that's fixed, for now), is the Steppy surplus to requirements?

Oh, and is there a more elegant mixing solution which retains the aux possibility and the flexibility of the sources (the drive is a bonus but not a deal-breaker)?

ModularGrid Rack