I have actually the Befaco Out v3 but could not find anything about it being isolated. But maybe the reason is also that I am not very well read when it comes such things. Would be great if someone could confirm. Because that would save me another 2hp vs. the WMD Pro Output.

Again big thanks to everyone for all the great content and feedback.

Thanks @Ronin1973 for the feedback. The output comment is very helpful and I incorportated the feedback. However, I disagree with the drums, especially since in my planned setup (which will differ to what Lugia suggested) I actually do not have too many drum voices. Also a submixer is not necessary here, since I have the Quadratts and the WMD which has enough inputs. I have Plaits at home, and while it has a very versatile sound you hear that it is Plaits which I do not like too much. Also, for Drums, if I want only samples, I do not need to go into modular. But I think its just a different perspective and I agree that you have a very valid point.

Thanks so much @Lugia !

I will have a look at it and think what I want to incorporate. Nevertheless, this gives me tons of ideas. While I kind of desparately want the X0X Drum-Sequencer (I know it has a lot of disadvantages), the Rene/Tempi combo looks interesting. Also the split up into two cases, is actually a great move and will probably be the way to go for me. Thanks for that! Will give an update later once I had enough time to go through everything in detail.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks now as follows:

alt text

• Looked at Matrix Mixers and did not find one that I liked from function and space perspective. But I will probably get one at some point to try it out
  • Rearranged to bring the Ochd closer to the Attenuverters
  • Added the C4RBN filter for the drums. Imagine it to be especially spicy with Hi-Hats or the Taiko because of Saturation, Resonance and the Wavefolder
  • Added a DivKid Mutes. Schneidersladen does not have the PM - Mutes right now and that thing looks good.
  • Had 4hp free and added a Disting. Maybe I find something else but usually Disting is always helpful.

Haha, that is indeed true. Did not want to make any attempt to compare myself to the skills of Surgeon. However, I still find his approach very interesting and kind of a goal state. But yes, you are right. In the end, I have to try it. Anyway, thanks a lot for all the feedback and time.

Thanks @farkas !
I basically watched most of his videos before coming up with the first version. While I agree that I needed a bit more modulation and utility, it’s interesting that he also does most modulation by hand and does not have too much utility. Of course he has quantizers, precision adders and so on and over all uses a more elaborate sequencer setup than I would do. But the Black Sequencer does a lot of this in-house. He also does not have a lot of attenuverters or similar.

Interestingly enough, he mentions the system Surgeon uses, which is even simpler. Both Surgeon and Blawan do not have a lot of modulation or too many utilities besides their sequencer lines and both very small live racks.

Or did I miss something? I find this discussion super helpful because it makes me rethink my approach. Also thought of switching to 12u/94hp but actually want to have a rather small system with the approach of less is more. I know that this is more difficult but otherwise it would be boring.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so far. That was very helpful. I reworked the rack a bit and integrated some of the feedback.

alt text

• I removed the Jomox Bassdrum and switched to the WMD Crater - thanks @farkas for the tip.
  • I added a Erica Synths Joystick 2. It seems that it is very versatile and can also record which I imagine might lead to fun modulation
  • I removed one FX Aid XL and replaced it by a ALM O/A/x2 and a 2hp Trim to add more Attenuverters.
  • I removed the Intellijel 1u VCA and added two Mosaic 1u Dual VCA

Looking forward to your feedback. What is still missing from a utility perspective? Thanks @CardiacTasty for the feedback regarding the modulation of modulation. Do you think modulating the Ochd is enough? The Acid Rain Maestro takes a lot of space and I am still unsure of keeping the Taiko. Also though of somehow switching in an Industrial Music Electronics KERMIT for more modulation and functions.

@farkas

thanks for the feedback. Since I own some of the modules already I have worked with them in the past. A joystick would be indeed a nice addition. However, I do not mind turning knobs around and actually like it, coming from a DJ background :)

The bassdrum is indeed a good point of discussion. From what I read and heard, the Jomox excels in sound and versatility. This was kind of the reasoning for choosing it. The idea for BIA would be less to create a Bassdrum sound but rather to create metallic textures and crackling.

Since the Black Sequencer is not able to produce polyphony I did exclude the Hel Expander. I have the Hel-Expander and use it together with a Nerdseq in my current rack, but Nerdseq is too inemmidiate for a live environment, at least from my point of view. The idea for chords was to use the TipTop One and for Drones the Desmodus. However, I prefer the sound of the odessa over the 4ms ensemble osc. Found it much richer.

I like the Morgasmatron for its versatility, especially since its two-in-one. However, there would be indeed more space-saving options. Any specific suggestions?

Regarding the FX AID XL - yes, I could get rid of one. I thought of adding VCAs to the 1u line. There I also have attenuverters. Quadrax should be enough Envelopes, together with the LFOs from the sequencers. Or would you add more?

Since I do not own the sequencers yet, I am very unsure about them. In general, I really like the design and immediacy of them. However, they take alot of space. I am also unsure about the Taiko. In general, I like it, but not sure if needed as an additional drum voice beside the others. And it takes a lot of space.

Maybe as a question: What would be modules that you would add? Especially from a utility perspective?

Update: Spent more time on the WMD Crater and maybe that is actually a good alternative. Thanks for the hint!

@dssiah Especially in regard to missing modules. Farkas feedback was already very helpful. That's the type I am looking for.

Hello there,

I started roughly a year ago with my modular journey with a rather static setup in a 15U 84TE Doepfer Case Combination. However, I quickly realized that I definetely want to go in the Live Performance direction in an actually a bit smaller more compact case (so that I can carry it around)

The music that I intend to make (or make so far with my bigger case) can be described as very fast, hypnotic and slightly groovy techno. I have no plan to start ambient or anything similar with that case in order to optimize the modul-choices. The plan is to do everything (mixing, sequencing, drums, voices) in the rack and only optimize the mastering process outside, if necessary.

This is what I came up with (10U 104TE)
alt text

Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially in regard to module choice and workability and any ideas for optimization.

Thanks!