The amount of informations and knowledge that I can gain here are amazing, thanks guys. Although, I must say, I still have some really basic questions. Like for example - How can I utilize Rings, Plaits in Stereo mode, and both at the same time? Right now, one of them can go through Black Hole DSP and it's in stereo. But when I put them all through Veils, then I lose the stereo. I'm beginning to lose my mind or it has been a very busy day :)

I'm using my modules mostly as an addition to my DAW and game, film related scores. And I can see that I made some big mistakes here. Like.... Why the hell did I buy Erica's Black Mixer. If I got Veils, why do I even need it? Should I just sell it and buy a mixer with which I could patch my reverb as a send and then I could patch my stereo modules too? Also, as Lugia suggested - Expert Sleepers must be a much better solution, than 4ms I/O.

Back to what I have now (also, I think I'm gonna sell Rackbrute and move to Mantis) -
ModularGrid Rack

Please help on what should I put there next. I managed to find Kinks (although not sure what I can with it yet)! I'll buy Links too.
Studying Maths a lot, it's so much fun. But still - I feel so lost. OMG.

Sweelinck - thanks so much. That Stochastic Inspiration Generator sounds great. Adding to my future buy list ;)

Maths and 321. What else would you recommend?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions guys. Not sure how that Erica HASDR module got there, I've put it by mistake.
I did some adjustements and now it looks like this:

ModularGrid Rack

Space is not an issue, because I'm going to extend my rack to another 3U of space. And after that, I'm going to expand further.

For now, I've bought: Hermod, 4ms I/O, Ears, Black Hole DSP2, Rings, Veils, Plaits, Manis Iteritas and Maths.

Acording to what you say here, I would need multimode filter and a utility module so I've put Instruo I-o47 and Frap Tools 321.
On top of that, I think that Morphagene would be really useful in my project (creating ambiences and morphing live recordings).

I would be really grateful for any kind of suggestions.

Happy Nerding FX Aid XL and 3X VCA
Frap Tools 321
Filter
-- jb61264

I was thinking about that FX Aid XL but is there a point in having it when I already have Erica Synths Black Hole DSP?

What would be the best filter to get right now? Possibly not the cleaniest one, or it doesn't matter?
Frap Tools 321 - is it similar to how Veils work? How can I utilize it in my setup efficiently?

And a very noob question - most voices like Manis Iteritas are mono.. am I right? I'm a total beginner and was a bit surprised that when plugging it (Manis) to Erica's Black Mixer it gives my the mono audio only.

Awesome, I'll look into that, thanks Ronin!

Hello guys,

So for now, I have gathered and installed these modules in my Arturia Rackbrute 6U:

ModularGrid Rack

Before expanding it to much bigger version later in the future (thanks Lugia once again), I wanted to complete
my Rackbrute. Unfortunately I'm a little bit stuck. Little space left and I'm not sure how to finish it up.
I made one obvious mistake - Doepfer seems to have no use for me, as Hermod does all the midi/ usb work for me.

I would be really grateful for suggestions!

So I guess that I'll go with 416 HP. What I did right now with my Rackbrute doesn't make any sense, does it?
Well, the things is that it's what I have now, so I really wanted to fill it up and then upgrade.

Considering that I have Rings, Ears (not really useful but..), Plaits and 4ms Listen I/O with Doepfer 1-190-3, and I want
to order Veils and Maths.. What should I put next to get that modulated, long ambiances. Or ambient noises, foggy chords in the atmosphere of Silent Hill, Twin Peaks etc. ?

I know I'm probably asking too much already, so you can just shut me up and I'll move on ;)

Hello!

Once again, that is a big help. Thank you guys.

So, before buying all the stuff (and gathering money) for what Lugia composed for me, I need to fill my little Arturia Rackbrute 6U.
I have modules from Lugia in my mind, so I was trying to squeeze some of those to my current build, just to have them in the future, upgraded and bigger rack. Could you tell me how does it look?

ModularGrid Rack

I'm also considering upgrading Rackbrute to two more rows, but that would give me less HP than Tiptop Audio dual Mantis racks.
What do you think Lugia?

SO when I came here I didn't suspect that much help for a newbie like me and now I got a full rig composed!!

My goodness, this is crazy. Thank you so much for that, Lugia. I love it. I have no idea what some of this do, but this only gets me more excited to find out.
I will start collecting those modules. One thing is that for now I only have Arturia's Rackbrute 6U and it's smaller
than tiptop mantis. I guess I have to replace?

It may be a stupid question, but how does Hermod compare to Make Noise Rene ? I've heard some good things about both of those, I guess the workflow is entirely different (and Hermod is more "live-setup" oriented?). The touchplate controller in Rene seems to be a dealbreaker for me, really useful.

I'm digging through all this modules and I'll order Veils next.

I'm also wondering about effects - Microcosm, Magneto and things like that - is it better to buy them as standalones?

This is amazing, thank you!
Arek

This is amazing, thank you for that.

I've made some adjustments, what about now?

ModularGrid Rack

I have added veils and Erica synths VCO and other mixer. Not so sure about the instruo but I guess thst Maths is essential? I scraped the Jezebel, not sure if I can get it that easily.

I was thinking about expert sleepers and I think I'll buy it in the future. Seems like a wonderful idea for me. I have Doepfer A-190-3 so it must be enough for now. Upgrading the case is not a problem, I'll do it in the future. I just need to start with something.

I'm very curious about that cinematic - oriented modules, could you recommend some? I guess Noise Engineering is quite capable of making gritty, distorted but also beautiful sounds. I work mostly with horror, thriller and dramas so I guess that would be all right to squeeze more of those.

Once again, thank you so much!

OK...now that we can see it, my first reaction is that this has the "Sexy Module Syndrome" in spades! I see exactly ZERO VCAs for starters, and that's pretty much a fatal flaw. Without VCAs you have no way aside of manual changes to alter the amplitude of either audio or modulation signals. Then there's the Erica Stereo Mixer...which is a mixer for stereo signals and not really a mixer that allows you to pan mono signals then mix those into a stereo result.......
-- Lugia

Hello Lugia!

First of all, thank you so much, I really appreciate that you took the time to write all of this.
Well, as I'm not a newbie when it comes to writing music (I did scores to Blair Witch, The Medium, Layers Of Fear etc.), I'm
completely new to the modular stuff. But it's addictive and hypnotizing so I'm looking for something that would complement
my work in new ways. I really like making ambient/ drone'y music, which builds up the tension over time.

So I see the weak points of this build. However, I'm a sucker for cool looking things (my whole studio is like that, haha), so I want to squeeze a tiny bit of that too.

When it comes to VCA - isn't Manis Iteritas one? Once again, sorry for my lack of knowledge. Could you give me some recomendations? For now, I only have Mutable Instruments Plaits, Rings and Ears (and Stereo Out, MIDI).
I want to control everything through my DAW, as I make music mostly to picture. Then, maybe I should invest in a sequncer
like Hermod. Erica Synths - damn, you're right. That's a huge mistake.

Plasma - not necessarily. I like the distortion it gives, the sound of it is awesome. But I won't buy it anytime soon.

I'm lost. But so far so much fun :)

I've made some adjustements.

Go to the rack, then click Show => Screenshot and refresh a few times.
-- troux

Thank you!

Strange, I'm seeing the old version with only 5 modules. Got it updated when you click the link..

I did a small update. Now I really don't know where to go next ;)

Hello guys!

I'm just at the beginning and that's the modules that I've baught for now. Any suggestions on what should I add next?
Kinda stuck right now.

ModularGrid Rack

So this is what Lugia helped me compose, I think it really should get the job done. Although I have much to research what some of the modules actually do!

ModularGrid Rack

Cheers!
Arkadiusz Reikowski