I wouldn't get too attached to the idea of losing the Mini2s...fact is, that's an excellent performance sequencer, has the awesome Steiner-Parker Synthacon VCF
-- Lugia

You’re right, man. The 2s, as well as a lot of other arturia products, are just killer for the price. I still haven’t explored it as deeply as I should have, since I’ve been concentrating on the subharmonicon, my digitakt, and the keystep pro. I just kind of wish the arturia stuff had fancier knobs and handles. The subharmonicon is a machine that does a lot less, but I’ve been using it much more, just because it has a luxurious feel to it.

Not sure what I’ll do after filling up the Rackbrute. Maybe, like you said, a setup with another Minibrute. Or, a 6U Rackbrute attached to a 3U… or a fancy intellijel case, or a bigger case for the studio… I’m trying not to fall into the trap of gear acquisition syndrome, but it’s hard. There is a lot of great gear out there…

Now THIS is a serious rig. True, it's still got some space limitations, but I think I've managed to show here where this COULD go with the Subharmonicon removal and a few additional pokes at the original module complement.
-- Lugia

That’s cool, thanks. I already made some changes that are similar to what you suggest. I will definitely consider some of these modules as soon as I have enough cash to substitute the Subharmonicon for them. A good noise source is on my list, but since I can’t find room at the moment, I will make do with the noise source of the Minibrute. The trap 321 looks super cool I ditched all of the line level outs, figuring I can just turn down the volume of my VCAs and feed them to my audio interface. I had considered the Pittsburgh BBD, but it has a much shorter maximum delay time than the Erica Synths Black or Xaoc. There is an Erica Synths Pico BBD, also with a short delay, if I wanted to go that way.

Anyway, I plan to eventually swap the Minibrute 2s for another case (either a second rackbrute or intellijel palette), probably in summer… at that point, I should have room for a bunch of the modules you mention…

Thanks, everybody. I took some of the advice in the planning, swapping out the wave folder and the passive mults. As far as substituting the BBD with a digital effects unit… I just like the uncouth sound of BBDs. Some digital effects sound good to me, but my most urgent reason for starting the eurorack was to get some analog effects.

As far as leaving the Subharmonicon in its case goes… this is definitely sound advice. I’m going to mount it in the case for now, however, and probably swap it out for modules when the time comes. My reasoning is pretty simple: I don’t have desk space for the two racks to be placed side by side where I can get to all the controls. Also, the 80 Euros the rack space is costing me is not very significant when you’re buying 3500 euros worth of gear. Putting it in now costs me absolutely nothing except the price of the power cord. Plus, for gigging, I don’t want to carry the two cases!

Edit: oh, ya, and the two Erica Synths Outs were not an oversight. I want four channels out for mixing in my DAW after recording…

Hi Snarky. Considering the Subharmonicon already has a case and power, you could make space for the Morphagene (and more utilities, etc.) by leaving the Moog in its own case. That’s what I would recommend first.
Have fun and good luck!
-- farkas

Hi, thanks for the answer. I actually hadn’t even thought about that, maybe cause I’m so excited about getting new equipment without getting new wall warts. I was thinking of getting a DFAM eventually, so it would be cool to get a two tier Moog kit and use the existing rack and power supply.

A couple substitutions I’m considering: the Xaoc Zadar instead of the Quadrax, which saves some space and is actually less expensive. Or getting the Sarajewo instead of the BBD.

I guess when the time comes, I might also get a second RackBrute as a substitute for the MiniBrute… but I can shove these plans in the future. I can only afford one or two modules per month, so actually running out of space won’t happen all that soon.

I really love modular… it’s just a lot more hands-on than digital or software… It’s also annoying that, when buying the non-modular stuff, you always end up getting another sequencer you don’t need.

Cheers

Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask for a critique of my first attempt at planning a build. I ordered the case yesterday. I already own the subharmonicon and will be working on the bottom row first (Subharmonicon + effects). I am more likely to change around stuff on the top row. I was originally planning a morphagene, but am having trouble finding the space.

Goal of the system is recording experimental music, but live gigs would be great, too.

Some things I am considering getting last: the midi interface, since the subharmonicon and rample both have midi inputs and I have a Keystep Pro also. And Pam’s New Workout is cool, but I’ve already got several clocks. I am pairing the system with a Minibrute 2S, and sometimes use a Yahmaha Sy77 for things like chord progressions.

Link: ModularGrid Rack

Cheers

Snarky