Thread: NiftyCASE

Thank you very much for responding to this post with GREAT information. I really appreciate it.

Modulation - I got the Doepfer A-147-2 VCDLFO to boost my modulation sources. I know it's not the most exotic or full featured LFO out there BUT please keep in mind I'm new to modular(not to synthesizers in general) and I need something basic to start with so I can learn and understand it. I think the CV control capabilities of it will help me learn this facet of modular. I have to say now that I've gotten it in the rack I'm very impressed with the build AND feel quality of it. The POTS on it are FAR superior to anything else I've gotten so far. It was impressive enough that I purchased a Doepfer A-135-2 Quad VCA/VC Mixer without hesitation to fill my mixing void. I think I can feed the output of the Doepfer Quad VCA back into the noise channel on the Grandmother mixer and monitor everything via the Grandmother headphone VCA out. There are a tremendous amount of modulation sources on the Hydrasynth that I aim to utilize once I learn how. In the mean time I think the A-147-2 VCDLFO will suffice.

Utilities - I'm not sure exactly what this means.

Case size and small modules - Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm 55 now and prefer bigger everything so I can see it BUT you have to start somewhere. It's funny, right after I got my case and the first module I installed the module and stumbled into this modular grid rack building thing. After spending 20 minutes or so setting up my rack I ALREADY decided my rack wasn't big enough and I only had ONE module in the case/rack !!! Go figure.

ADSR vs Envelope Generator - I honestly don't know which I need. I'm a keyboard player and for the most part this rack is going to be mated with Moog grandmother. I'll be able to use the Grandmother internal sequencer and ARP to trigger the rack. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should buy Doepfer A-140-2 Dual Mini ADSR OR Mutable instruments Peaks/Stages/Veils/Tides. Youtube videos on ALL of them BUT they have them hooked up to 10 other devices that I don't have. The more I read about the Mutable instruments stuff the more I get confused. At least I think I know what the Doepfer actually does. If anyone has advice on this I'm ALL EARS.

B-company - Yes, I've had nothing but bad experiences with their products in the past and not really impressed with their lack for respect for other peoples designs. With respect to Behringer 305 I find it strange that there's almost NO information or reviews about it. I think I saw 1 youtube video where someone actually had one, maybe not. No user reviews anywhere I could find. Nothing in the forums of anyone saying it sucks or it's great. BTW, who is Dieter ?

Anyway, this is a new adventure for me. I had to get away from the computer based DAW. I've spent 30+ years of my professional life staring at computer screens and the virtual instrument stuff wasn't working for me any more. I'll still be using a DAW to patch everything together BUT this is a new approach for me. Thanks for the help and best wishes.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Thread: NiftyCASE

I'm trying to complete this build. Initial plans were to get Intellijel Quad VCA and Mutable Instruments Veils but I can't buy either of them new anywhere in the US right now so I'm stuck(and kind of low on money) right now. Please keep in mind this RACKs primary purpose is to complement my Moog Grandmother Subharmonicon and Hydrasynth so I've made some omissions thinking I could use some features on those synths to fill in gaps. I still need a VCA/mixer and ADSR envelope. Considering a couple Doepfer modules for VCA/mixer duties Doepfer A-135-2 Quad VCA/VC Mixer AND Doepfer A-140-2 Dual Mini ADSR OR possibly even Behringer 305 IF it can function as a VCA for a while but there's no info or reviews out about the Behringer 305 at all. Is it complete crap or did they not sell any of them so there aren't even any reviews by people who bought them ??? Assuming it could solve my lack of VCA right now it would be nice to have a REAL headphone jack and EQ features. I still need ADSR envelope too.

Any help greatly appreciated

I need a temporary solution to lack of VCA and mixer until I can purchase what I really want. I spent too much on some other stuff AND the stuff I really want isn't available here NEW in the States right now. Can the Behringer 305 be used as a cheap short term solution in the following setup ? I have a Moog grandmother, Subharmonicon and Hydrasynth that I can patch in a few things that some of you may note are missing from a full modular setup. Does the Behringer 305 actually have VCA's built into it ?
Thanks in advance
You'll have to click on the picture of my Eurorack picture/link to see it now. For some reason it keeps showing and old picture/revision of it. The picture representation of it below isn't accurate. Is there a way to include pictures in a posting in these forums ?
ModularGrid Rack

OK, so I'm at this point now. How I arrived at my current setup is a long story of what I perceived as good deals at the time and GAS. I'm trying to complement my Moog Grandmother and Subharmonicon while keeping them OUT of the rack itself. One of my main concerns is I'd like to be able to mess with the rack by itself with a very small midi controller(in some cases theremin mostly keys) AND I'd like to have headphone out that comes out of both ears. I'm not concerned with stereo effects or anything with TWO different fields right now. I made decision I'll deal with stereo mixing/effects once I get it to the DAW.

I'm looking at the Behringer 305 because of the headphone out, mixer and EQ capabilities. If I get that module do I still need a VCA module ? Ultimately I'll be sending what I want to record to my Focusrite sound interface to the DAW. I'm thinking with the two Oscillator modules (Erica Fusion VCO2 and Plaits) I can do certain things with the mixer in the grandmother(noise channel in) and the Grandmothers envelope to cut corners on cost. Is this stupid or what ?

I'm thinking the biggest thing I need in this setup is a VCA but I'm not sure why. Since the Grandmother has mixer envelope generator LFO high pass lo pass filter I was going to try and use those and beef up my oscillator options with the Plaits and Erica Fusion VCO2. Does this make any sense or do I get the Eurorack Beavis and Butthead award for the year for taking this path ?

In my own defense I stumbled into buying the Erica Fusion VCO2 thinking I was getting a good deal(after years of swearing off modular because of the cost) but didn't realize it started me on this never ending bank account draining path.

• I got the Forbidden Planet filter because I thought it sounded really cool in a Grandmother related youtube video.
  • I got the Doepfer A-147-2 because I figured I needed an LFO and it was one of the few that had a SIN wave
  • I got Plaits because I've heard a lot of good things about it and needed digital VCO to complement analog Erica Fusion VCO2

I really need the HEADPHONE OUT to both ears but the Behringer 305 takes up a LOT of real estate. I could potentially forego this because I have a pretty decent Mackie VLZ Pro mixer that can push these signals into and it has a great headphone amp in it BUT it kills the portability of being able to move the rack around with a small midi controller and just plug the Headphones into for good fidelity.

Most likely I really need a good multi channel Envelope Generator at this point since the Grandmothers is pretty limited and strange. I'm going to leave the sequencing to the Grandmother and Subharmonicons pitch sequncers for now. And I need VCA module. Any suggestions to finishing this initial build will be greatly appreciated.

I've been told by a representative of Cre8Audio that the following tools will work to remove the existing nuts on my NiftyCase :
Philmore NT500
Xicon 382-0006
Can anyone confirm this ? Is there a standard knurled nut bit set available anywhere ? Part numbers, source, weblink, etc ... ?
Thanks in advance.