Hello folks!

ModularGrid Rack

I think I’ve assembled a fairly nice starter rack here and am hoping someone could take a peak and suggest any additions I’d need to make to maximize its patching options.

There’s no going back now as these modules have either arrived or are on the way via shipping.

Am just curious for some ideas on which 2-3 more modules could be added that would play nicely here.

Have Beatstep pro and a Microfreak as well so sequencing and a playable touch surface are taken care of.

Thanks and have a great day everyone!

Edit: down the road i had an idea to get a sampler (bitbox micro?) to do some drums and more mods/utilities on the bottom rack. Would that work or am I trying to cram too much in there?

Thanks so much Jim! Good points to consider!

1500hp!! Damn! You’re packing some serious heat! An old buddy of mine in town has like (and I’m likely guessing low) $50,000 worth of gear (buchlas, full Moog systems, homemade wall mounted spring reverbs, stuff for modular camcorder video art and a bunch of wild shit like saws, bows and the type of stuff you’d only see at art installations) so I’ve seen first hand how original plans can expand right quick! (He’s a genius though with off the charts curiosity!)

I’ve already ordered the mutable clones unfortunately but am used to tiny knobs (have a few Volcas: FM, Modular, Keys and Drum). Will spread the clones apart a bit so they’re not too close to each other I suppose.

Also have a BSP pro and Microfreak for some added fun (and an AFX station)

So I’m guessing I’m still on the hunt for:

1) MIDI in (mutant brain perhaps or cheaper module)

2) Quad ADSR (zadar or the dopfer one)

3) End of chain mixer (Tex-mix or similarly priced alternative)

4) links and kinks

5) an FX unit (FX aid xl or pico dsp)

5) More vca’s (veils)

6) a basic analogue OSC (Dixie2 or STO?)

7) Pam’s New Workout

MIDI in might be next as I have a few iPad apps that I’d like to incorporate into this from time to time (AUM, miRack, Rozeta suite, Xynthesizr, Genome etc) for alternate sequencing. Am trying to avoid computers/screens etc but an iPad isn’t quite as bad for that as a laptop.

I appreciate the help from all here and wish all of you a great weekend! Stay safe and thanks for the help! Maybe 5 years from now I’ll be giving some pointers (as long as the world doesn’t go full out totalitarian and we’re still allowed to own things based on our social credit scores!)

Thanks again Lugia - went with a used Mantis this morning for $600 Canadian (which is like $20 American lol) and updated accordingly. ModularGrid Rack

The seller also threw in a tin of screws, carrying case and patchcords so i really lucked out!

Haven’t spent too much time in the actual forum here (or any online forum) and am mainly just playing with the rack creation tool but I’m blown away by the support and shared ideas throughout.

Big thanks in order to you (and not just for me but for helping out so many others I’m sure)

Have a good night and take care!

Edit: I won’t come close to filling this for a long time but am hoping for a 2nd voice.

Hi Lugia:

I appreciate you taking the time to not only have a look & try to help but also for not sugar coating anything and being straight up!

Thought about it some more and am going the Mantis route with a handful of modules to start and will see where it goes from there. Have also been advised that these “mini” versions of the MI modules are a little too mini and damn near impossible to work with. Am likely letting the excitement of a new musical challenge and discovery (and a dash of fetishism) get the best of me at times! This is a fantastic resource and poking around & making your own virtual rack is a double edged sword!

One of the reasons I was looking to go small was that whenever I’d read an interview with a modular musician (whether it be Keith Fullerton Whitman or Robert Aiki Lowe or Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith Etc Etc) they’d always say the same thing when asked for advice for beginners: start small!

Anyways - thanks for commenting and all the best to ya!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi folks!

Have a potential NiftyCase 84hp rack design here hat I need a little help with. Have Beatstep Pro and Microfreak on the side for control and have a couple questions:

1) is it possible to use both the BSP and the microfreak simultaneously for control? Both have CV outs but can they be used at the same time?

2) is there anything you’d switch out/add/remove? With this unit I’m not looking to explore everything modular has to offer - this is perhaps just a relatively high priced suped up synth voice with utilities & generative functions to pair with a future 2nd rack (but I’m ok with that!).

3) which 3-4 modules should I get first so that it’s at least playable right away? Already have the case, Plaits clone, Clouds and the BSP and Microfreak - and the Nifty is pre-equipped with power & MIDI conversion.

Thanks and have a good one!

Edit: for some reason it’s showing an older photo of this rack design - please click on it to see what’s currently planned. Thx

Hi Jim!

Thanks for taking the time for some helpful input!

Will likely go with the Mantis now as eventually I’d like to get a Rene in there (which would never fit in the smaller Nifty one). That FX Aid XL looks like a winner too!

Will likely pull the trigger on making this a reality soon and am gonna start with:

• Mantis 104hp x 2 case
  • Beatstep Pro (already have it)
  • Plaits
  • Veils
  • Maths

And add the rest from there bit by bit.

With the above mentioned modules will I need anything else to get started or would that be enough function wise?

Thanks again and have a good one!

ModularGrid Rack

Hello! I’m a small town Canadian newbie with a love for sound who is looking to make the leap to modular. I have a few hardware synths (Microfreak, AFX Station) and a few Volcas (FM, Modular, Keys and Drum) but am just about ready to step away from that (and Ableton and iPad apps) and make the modular leap.

Am looking to fill an 84hp NiftyCase (that has MIDI to CV and audio out built in apparently) to make my first rack with about a $2,250 budget. (Already have a Beatstep pro to sequence)

If anyone could take a look at this and give some pointers or make any changes/suggestions that would be extremely appreciated.

Am aiming to make a solid, all-in-one starter system using Plaits as the primary OSC.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!