I like the modules you choosed.
I think its a good starting point but more stuff will surely follow
PPl will say: "Get a bigger case"

Agreed that it's an interesting collection of modules to start with. Also, let me be the first person to live up to MCGM's prediction: you'll probably end up wanting a bigger case, sooner than later (no disrespect to the intellijel 4u intended). Building a small focused rack is certainly doable, but it comes with sacrifices and really requires you to know how to get the best functional bang for your buck hp wise. Again, totally doable, and you can build an amazing instrument in your selected case, but as a beginner the restricted hp makes things more difficult. Plus, despite what everyone tells themselves, eventually GAS will strike and you'll want to try something new that won't fit. Personally, I'm fond of the mantis cases, but there are plenty of others out there to consider.

More utillity modules like attenuverters, matrix mixer, offsets, vcas etc
You could add a dedicated filter even if the Ghost has one integrated
Vcas

-- MCGM

Agreed with all of @MCGM's comment, but really want to highlight this part. You'll get a whole lot more out of the modules you've already selected if you invest in utility modules like the ones listed, especially vcas. Let me also recommend LFOs. Something like the Ochd and it's really useful expander is great for slow organic changes.

As a side note, how were you planning to use the quantizer, was that for the Steppy? Quantizers are cool, but unless you have a specific use in mind, maybe not the best fit for the collection of modules you already have listed (the Pams can do some quantization, for example).

Anyhoo, good luck!

Edited because I made a typo.

Fantastic post idea @ferranadsr. As modular newbies we hear over an over again that utilities are the key, but never exactly why or how.

ModularGrid Rack

I've made a small rack of some of my favorite utilties modules, in no particular order. They all get used frequently in my patches in a multitude of ways. There are plenty of others that are great, but I want to highlight these few. No need to deep dive into each, but wanted to give some general shoutouts. I'm also happy to explain how I use any specific module if you're curious.

Switches, mutes, mults - Oh my goodness, these have completely changed how I use my system. From being able to select between different channels in order to bring in different song sections to the fore, or sending cv to alternating sources, or using a sequential switch as a sequencer... Muting a channel on the fly or sending cv or audio suddenly to a different location... These make "playing" the system fun.

Matrix mixers, mixers, attenuators/verters, scaling, invert - Just great ways to manipulate and shape your signals and create really complex cv. Attenuators are absolutely essential for controlling modulators and randomness.

Precision adders/shifters - the t43 is so damn fun to play that I needed to include it. Also, it really helps move a song forward when you can just shift the melody's voltage by musically meaningful amounts.

Random, S&H/T&H, noise - Even if generative isn't your thing, don't overlook the power that randomness can add to your patches. I really enjoy sample/track and hold, and use it to rhythmically pick voltages from random sources like noise, or the delightful ochd expander to create meandering melodies (you'll need attenuators, of course!). Great for adding creating complex modulations.

I would say, to echo @liontel, that it was the ornaments and crime that helped me understand what utilties could do. I'd find myself using one applet or another for a while before realizing why I actually just needed that utility as a standalone. Then I'd explore a new applet. I haven't used the disting myself, but I assume it's a similar story.

Anyone else have favorite utility types or modules?

No advice, just a quick mention: Here is the 1HP minimalist module that matches the borders, which you can use to create the appearance of two cases side-by-side. It's what I use as a separator between my cases. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-1hp-spacer-for-minimalist-rack

-- Toccata

Thanks! Also, I appreciate your rack design aesthetics, very cool.

How big is your case? How much room do you have to play with? Can't tell from your link if you have an extra row available or not.

I wanted to get some thoughts as I'm putting some final touches on the rack I'm going to build in the near future. I've got about 35% of the modules so far and things are working just how I want. I was hoping to see if anyone could point out some glaring gaps.

Bolded part is important here. If your rack is already doing what you want, then you're probably heading the right way. I think a lot of us (myself included) let our GAS lead the way, but if your rack is already contenting you, you're in good shape. That being said...

The 2 gaps I'm aware of are mixing and mod/utilities. I have enough for barebones mixing but it would be nice to make some more room. I have a decent amount of modulation sources and mixers but no logic, sequencers, etc, which I am somewhat ok with for now, but still open to suggestions.

Agreed that you've identified where you're lacking. A number of great analogies are floating around these forums about what utilties represent in a rack (I've been schooled more than once myself, if you want to go back through my posts). Without repeating them, it suffices to say that the utilities are what really make the disparate pieces of a system come together and allows interactions, modulations, and manipulations that are simply not possible otherwise.

The hard part with utilties is that the functions are often seemingly abstract and esoteric until you have experience with them. A precision adder makes sense by definition, but maybe doesn't seem so useful or life changing. After having one in my rack though, it's become indespensable. Same for my switches, clock modulator, sample/track and holds, matrix mixer, and mutes. All have seriously altered how I use my instrument in ways I would not have predicted. I don't think I could go back to a rack without them without being keenly aware of their absence. And that goes doubly for my vcas and attenuators, of which I am the poster child for never having enough when needed.

You actually have a good start on utilities, but you should really be relying much more heavily on them to help your cool sound manglers and modulators work to their fullest potentials. Thankfully, utility modules are usually cheaper, smaller, and more available than the fancy audio manipulators. Happy to provide specific module suggestions if you have specific needs or questions, but hesitant to just suggest you buy more things, particularly if you're satisfied already.

Hopefully one of the more power users can come along and provide more fulsome feedback, as I'm not as personally familiar with some of your modules as I'd like to be. However, I think the general point stands.

Good luck, and have fun.

I'm sure I'll be back in 6 months with an updated version of this question, but that's probably how it should be (we're all learning here, afterall). Thanks again!

highly likely! have fun

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks so much!

The modules that appear today do not always bring great innovations, but some try to go further by pushing limits (at the risk of specializing sometimes in a more limited use). But why not if they are of a high quality? The Qu-Bit Nautilus, in my opinion, is one of them. Thus I will gladly suggest it for the musical style sought here.

-- Sweelinck

Now that I've had a chance to experience a number of modules, I believe I'm starting to see what you mean. I think it's hard as a beginner (which in many ways, I still am) to understand that aspect of modular with all of the choices available. I would love to pick your brain about which modules you think are innovative and limit pushing. And most importantly, which ones you think are most musically inspiring to play. Because at the end of the day, isn't a direct line to our musical muses what we're all hoping for with our instruments?

Thanks!

Thanks so much all, very helpful!

@Sweelinck, I'm afraid my knowledge of 16th century French adages departed with Martin Guerre and has yet to return, so I'll trade you an old Yiddishism - "better an honest slap in the face than an insincere kiss." Agreed it's quite hard to ask for feedback once one's gone down the very pricey rabbithole of modular, but I'd rather have honest criticism than false praise. But don't worry, I take your critiques as completely constructive and not at all slap-like!

I'm actually pretty jazzed by this feedback. In retrospect, I eschewed a lot of audio manipulation modules until I was confident that I had an otherwise solidly working instrument and understood how to use a lot of the more "functional" modules (I tried to take @JimHowell1970's tagline seriously). Matrix mixers being a good example - it took quite a while until I actually understood just how flexible and useful one could be in a patch, so now I'm excited for number two (and a stereo one, at that!). Perhaps that A-119 should get a closer look as well, for the same reason.

So it's good to know that my planned rack is in a place where I can explore these sound sculpting modules more comfortably while also saving hp for the future. It's a little overwhelming trying to choose between the vast number of high-quality modules out there while worrying if the amazing demo videos that I rely upon represent a module's actual capabilities or rather the patching talents (and complementary background modules) of the musician filming. Particularly since it seems like a new game changer is coming out every few months. I just finished watching hours on the Spectraphon, for example. To that end, I'll definitely consider the Nautilus, as I see it covers ground I'm otherwise missing and seems fun to play (an issue of key importance to me nowawadays, and one that should have been from the very beginning). The Sinfonion as well, which I had not previously looked too closely at since I didn't realize my rack was large enough to support it, but might be a step in a very interesting direction, particularly with how many voices I plan to have available.

Regarding utilities, I'm a true believer now, so I'm all ears for suggestions. Figuring out mid-patch that I'm lacking the right number of attenuators or inverters or whatevers to accomplish my musical goal is an annoying tradition I'm not looking to continue. Aside from the aforementioned matrix mixers, I'd love to hear what other utilty modules you would consider integral to your systems.

I'm sure I'll be back in 6 months with an updated version of this question, but that's probably how it should be (we're all learning here, afterall). Thanks again!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi all,

After several years of tinkering and learning, and many, many iterations of "eureka, this shall be the final form!," I think I actually have a decent plan (my racks are public if you want to see how I've gone from A to B to C to.... whatever this is). However, as I try to figure out my last half-rack, I realize I'm at a loss. I hesitate to say it, but I think I might have my bases covered and have some room to spare. What do you think, what would you do with this last 36 hp? Am I overlooking something or missing some key utilities or functionality? Maybe I'm over-full of some type of module and have more space than I realize? Or maybe I should just be at peace knowing that I've got the space when the next new, must-have module shows up (looking at you Joranalogue). As you'll see, a lot of these modules are already in my collection, but I don't consider too much sacrosant, and am definitely open to selling and reconfiguring if I decide to shift directions.

Rack goals: Originally, it started as a companion to the microbrute 2s, but quickly started moving in the generative direction. Over the past few years, this has become my main instrument, and so I've tried to tailor it into a comprehensive multivoiced stereo system that can do both generative and nongenerative on it's own, but play well with other gear and the computer when wanted. No one style of music is aimed for and I'm not planning on doing too much heavy-duty chordal work, but I want to be able to cover as many bases as possible. That being said, I seem to make a lot of loosely rhythmic ambient soundscapes, and that's quite fun.

General design plan: The instrument consists of a microbrute 2s and a 6u rackbrute and with two mantis cases (come on tiptop, start shipping those black cases already...). The rackbrute is predominantly cv and clock generation and manipulation. The top mantis covers sound sources and shaping, and the bottom case is predominantly for sound manipulation and physical interaction with the synth (I am a very hands-on player). Some choices were made for odd-number-hp reasons (like the pico dsp), and some placements are simply because I couldn't figure out how else to fit them (like Maths in the bottom row), but most everything else earns it's place and spot naturally.

So, what do you think? Any recommendations for this last 36 hp?

Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

Much easier if you copy/paste the link into the comment, then we get to see your rack.

I'll let others speak to your specific goals as they're a bit out of my knowledge zones, but one thing to think of right off the bat is how you will be developing, changing, and manipulating your control voltages? You say you're sequencing and using the DAW for effects (how are you interfacing, exactly?), but one of the joys of modular is using voltages in unexpected and dynamic ways. I feel like this system as is gives a lot of audio manipulation but not much CV manipulation. For example, other than the two lfos (with only square or tirangle to choose from) on the Kobol, how will you be changing parameters over time without manual tweeking? Wiggling knobs is obviously fun, but a lot of what makes modular special is that the aspects of synthesis that are usually hidden inside a synthesizer are available to us out in the open, allowing for dynamic shifting of parameters over time. Look into utilities, which are the tools to make this happen. You have the disting, which provides a ton of algorithms, but is not the easiest to navigate and doesn't give you access to too many things at once. As for recommendations, unfortunately, there's no one size fits all, but attenuators, inverters, function generators, slew limiters, etc are great places to start looking. More lfos, or at least mults to help you make more of what you already have, should also be considered.

Anyways, there's no one size fits all as I said, and I don't want to recommend just buying more things, but I think you should consider where you plan to take this rack and seriously think about the utilities that will help you make the most of it. If you think of some motion you want the voltages to have, there's probably a utility to help with it.

One more note, if you're already planning on being heavily connected to the computer, consider a dc-coupled interface or something like the ES-8 or ES-9 (expensive, but very useful) to allow you to interact with VCV rack and other computer based cv manipulation tools. It will save a lot of hp and money in the long run, if that's a route that looks fun to you.

Best of luck.

A few things jump out...

First, are you planning on racking the subharmonicon and you actually have two rows available, or is that just for representation? If the former, I'd recommend keeping the subharmonicon in it's case and keeping the hp available. Also, will you be connecting this to the other rack, or is it completely standalone?

60 hp is really small for modular. While you absolutely can build a rack in that space (depending on your goals, I'd think), it's not so simple. You have to be quite selective about what makes it in if you're going to get something that works as intended. If a bigger rack is possible, you won't regret it

I'm not seeing a lot of modulators. Yeah, there's Pams, which gives plenty of interesting gates, envelopes, and attenuation, but how else will you be generating cv signals or moving parameters? You need to consider LFOs. Something like the Xaoc Batumi gives you a bunch in a decent footprint, and Divkid's Ochd (now with expander!) is quickly becoming essential in my rack.

Also, you don't have the utilities that will be necessary to get the most out of your modulators. Attenuators, VCAs, slew limiters, s/h, you'll get a lot of modulating mileage about these types of modules. If you're looking to explore sounds, don't discount randomness. Thank you Pams for offering this, but look at something like Instruo's tagh is an interesting option to add more random flavor.

Good luck!

A few general points:

1) Think of ergonomics and playablity. If it's not easy and fun to play, you won't end up using it. Good on 2hp for doing an amazing job filling a niche, literally, but you really need to think about the playability of lots of little knobs next to each other. Are you really going to be able to comfortably tweak a parameter without knocking a different knob by accident? You should be thinking about spacing and tweakability as you go, so the system doesn't end up being a pain to play.

2) VCAs. I think a cascading VCA has more potential than 4 independent VCAs. Hard to beat 8 VCAs in that footprint, but you're missing out on some interesting functionality.

3) Drums in rack. People often caution against going drums in rack cuz it's not the most price or space effective way of getting drums, but hey, you do you. Personally, I think they're fun. However, you might want to consider a cv controllable sampler like vpme.de's quad drums, a bitbox, or the assimil8or (which is an absolute dream, by the way). They aren't analog, but they will give you a tremendous amount of flexibity in a relatively small footprint. They tend to be pricey, however.

4) Too much hp spent on sound sources. Sorry, but in a rack this size, you should be limiting your oscillators and sound sources so you can spare room for the other types of modules (like utlities) that really help set modular apart.

5) Utilities! You have attenuators and VCAs and mixers, but there are some interesting other options that can play nicely with rhythm based music. Logic modules, comparators, clock modulators, routers/switches, and sample and holds are just a few types of modules that can really help add intricacy and complexity to your sequences and rhythms and give you a ton of flexibilty. Take some time looking through the different utilities listed on here, or watch some videos about the types listed above. You'll probably be getting ideas popping off in no time.

6) Computer connections. Depending on what you're aiming for you might be interested in connecting your system directly to your computer. That way you can record directly to your DAW or, more interestingly, use your rack in conjunction with software modular programs like VCV rack or voltage modular (I think there are a few others now, too). Something like Expert Sleeper's ES-8 or ES-9 (both come in black) do this magically.

Anyways, best of luck!

ModularGrid Rack

I think it kind of depends on the style of case you have, and whether you care about color matching your panels or not. However, I generally agree with what @bopodoq says. I tend to visualize the signal path as going bottom left > top left > top right > bottom right.

Clocks and sequence / pattern creaters, etc create the signals on the bottom and send them up to be modulated, quantized, and played with. The VCOs are top left and send their lovely cacophonies right and then down towards to filters, fx, and audio manipulators. Finally the bottom right has some utilities and the in/outs.

I also like to consider how much I will be playing a particular module, and how many cables are going to be going in and out of it. I keep the modules that are more manipulatable around the outside of the case, to make them easier to play, while the set and forget ones can sit happily on the inside, buried in the spagehetti. Maybe it's just me, but reaching into the heart of a patch to delicately wiggle small knobs is not the most fun part of the modular experience.

Questions: Do you really have an extra empty row? I'm jealous. Also, any thought as to what type of music/sounds you want to get out of this rig? You have quite a nice collection of modules here; without too much tweaking you could turn this into a pretty beastly instrument, depending on what you're goign for.

Out of curiousity, what is your goal for this rack? You have a nice start to a synth here, I'd say maybe think about more lfos, attenuators, and vcas. But more specific recommendations really depend on what you're going for with this instrument.

Great question. The Minibrute 2s is a beast and has a lot of depth. It was my first real taste of what (semi)modular can do, and well, just things kept growing from there. Don't be surprised if you're in the market for another case in a year (GAS is real!).

What you have planned already seems like a pretty solid selection of modules. You need more utilities, however. They make all the difference when building a rack. The MB2s generously gives a vca, attentuators, and inverter, but you'll quickly find they are not enough, and are missing attenuverting. VCAs get used up real fast, so you may want to consider additional VCAs to the Veils. I highly recommend something that can attentuate/attenuvert and offset (in addition to Maths, of course). Happy Nerding's 3x MIA is perfect, but there are other good utilties out there, as well. You may want to consider a mult, as well, if you have a few hp to spare.

A few other honorable mentions if you have the space:
* Matrix mixer - great for blending audio or cv and can be stereo if you want. Doepfer's A-138m is perfect.
* S&H / T&H - sampling/tracking and holding a voltage has all sorts of uses, and can be used well with random voltage or smooth random (the MB2s has some random options already). ALA's SHTH or DivKid's RND Step would work well.
* Switches - something like Doepfer's A-151 sequential switch might be of interest in helping sen signals to different locations with a trigger.

Whatever you get, I'm pretty sure it'll be a whole lot of fun noise. Enjoy!

Thanks, these are incredble. Do you mind sharing how you think about planning/building a rack? I know you said they're kinda of anarchistic, but do you have a goal with each rack, or do you let them grow organically?

Yeah, I have VCV rack just never got around to actually using it with hardware... Clicking with mouse is what I'm trying to reduce.
-- ratman77531

I hear that... I'm also trying to find my own way to reduce the computer as much as possible. I just didn't want to start suggesting buying more modules when you're already set up for the free stuff.

But if already have GAS, then you really can't go wrong with more VCAs, and a utilities "swiss army knife" type module. I really meshed with uOrnaments and Crime running Hemispheres - it provides some very interesting functions and has both a shift register and a quantizer, wonderful for "psychodelic-like weird" stuff, and only 8 hp. With the remainder you could do something like Happy Nerding's 3xVCA (6hp), or maybe even a 2hp dual VCA leaving room for a dual LPG for plucky sounds and variety. There's really a number of ways to use the extra hp depending on your goals, but I think VCAs and utilities are what you should focus on.

Good luck!

Hmmm, guess I didn't see the expander... Without VCV rack or similar then you will want to consider some further utilities for the remaining 15 hp that you have. What are you aiming for with this rack? In any case, I recommend s/h (I really like After Later's SHTH, which is quite powerful in 2 hp), more vca's (happy nerding 3xVCA or a veils clone), and maybe something further swiss army knives like like Frap Tools 321 or SSF Toolbox if you can still find one.

Also, if you've already got the ES-9 and Ableton, might as well get VCV Rack, it's free afterall. It will open up a lot of potential utilities so you can see which ones you use the most.

Modular is Sh!t you should get a Banjo!

Looks like a pretty sound rack to me.
-- wishbonebrewery

Agree, banjo's rule.

Are you using the ES-9 to connect with VCV rack or other software? If so, this thing looks pretty beastly and you can get what's I'd say is missing virtually. However, if not, or just because you have the blank panel spaces, I could suggest the Batumi expander, which gives you access to more LFO shapes, and some other utilities or random voltage generators? Things like mutes or routers might make this more interactive and fun to play, as well.

i understand there are a lot of sound sources already and im missing some key utilities. but what would you all recommend? attenuators? more vcas? more lfos/envelopes? i know a mixer will be needed. a filter? what am i missing?

-- itsdakota

Honestly, yes to all of the above. I'd highly recommend something like XAOC's Batumi or DivKid's Ochd. Both will get you plenty of dynamic motion. Attenuators are necessary to tame the signals, particularly randomness coming from o-coast, and you'll want to consider other functionality, such as inversion and offsetting. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA and Frap Tools 321 might be of interest. Utilities such as sample and hold/track an hold, logic, and comparators might but fun to use with the random voltages, as well. Also, I'd recommend a matrix mixer, like Doepfer's A-138m, so you can blend signals, mix, attenuate/vert to make things complex. Really great for exploring feedback, as well.

One interesting module to consider is Joranologue's Morph4 (honestly, pretty much any of their modules are worth considering). On the surface it is 4 cascading VCAs (which you need, anyways) but with cv control over some very intereting parameters that make it great for crossfading audio or cv. I'm still learning it myself, but it definitely seems to lend itself to dynamic motion. Also, more VCAs, yay.

Good luck!

First off, if you copy and past the link to the rack, we'll get to look at the rack itself and not a jpg, which really isn't useful.

Second, other folks can give you specific recommendations to patch the sounds you're looking for, but don't forget about self-patching (looking at you MATHS and QPAS). In fact, look up the MATHS Illustrated manual for a ton of patching examples. Also, many module manuals provide patching ideas; it may be worth menu-diving and watching some videos.

Third, just a quick observation: you have a lot of oscillators and filters and not too much else, so it's not really a surprise that your patching is feeling repetative. You have many impressive sound sources (more than you may realize, with self-patching), but not much to play with them and manipulate them. I suppose you have the computer at your disposal (VCV rack has some great free modules), but I'm not seeing the midi 0r other interfaces to connect? In any case, you should consider a few additions (everyone likes buying more gear, right?). Your patching options open up exponentially as you get more modules and patchpoints.

Consider for example, VCAs. You have the Quad VCA, which is a great module, but doesn't even give you enough channels for the voices you already have, and it certainly doesn't give you enough channels to play around with, such as modulating an LFO with another LFO to come up with more interesting cv. A Veils clone or Doepfer's quad mixer vca might be of more value than you realize.

I also always advocate for more modulation options, like Ochd or Batumi, so you can have motion. Finally, you're missing the essential architecture, utilities. There's been a few good analogies floating around the comments about utilities, but in the end, the unsung utilities are what enable you to actually use the big-ticket modules like VCOs. You might want to consider a mutli-utility module, such as a Disting EX or uOrnament and Crime, which gives you a taste of a lot of types of utility modules so you can figure out what's useful (again, VCV rack gives you plenty for free if you're already using a computer, but you need to be able to interact with it). For example, until you play with a clock divider, how would you know you can use it as a sub-osc? Or a that comparator can be amazing for taking LFOs and making rhythms, or just how fun switches can be?

In my mind, it's the ability to access these architectural circuits that makes modular unique. Plenty of standalone synths give you deep rawring sounds and luscious pads, but how many of them can create modulation and movement over time that can be controlled by other parameters? I'd say watch some videos about the modules you already have (look up that MATHS manual!) and about different utilities, and you'll get a good sense of where to go next with your patching.

Edited: Just saw the link has already been posted. Ignore point 1.

ModularGrid Rack

So, thinking about it a bit, I've come up with this. More experienced users please feel free to fix what's lacking/wrong!

First off, little known secret is that the 6U Rackbrute is actually 89 hp for some reason (at least, mine is). Blessed be extra hp.

I've tried to keep all of the modules you already had, except one, since I assume you already own them. I've removed Brains because it's big for what it does, and switched in a Klavis Twin Waves MKII which sounds awesome and is much smaller. All other modules are kept, but rearranged (my own preference and workflow reflected here, nothing particular about their arrangment).

Top row has Pams and the PPEXP-1 which gives you dedicated outs for regular clock, allowing you to do more interesting rhythms or voltages with the original outputs (including random, smooth random, quantized, logic, euclidean, etc...). Then your oscillators, followed by a gnarly dual/stereo filter, the Ikarie. I finish off with your envelope generator and FX.

Bottom row adds some random flavor - the highly compact Tagh to give you random voltages, the SHTH to help pick off voltages, LFOs, and a 2hp VCA, since modulating modulators is fun and you had the room to spare. Your sequncer and more LFOs follow, then the mult, 6 chainable attenuverters, and then the uO_C. I found that getting an uO_C was the primary stepping stone into generative. The shift register and quantizer are just a delight together. The other utilities presented will give you a taste of what else is out there and how to use them, so if/when you get a bigger system, you'll already have experience.

Then the Frap Tools 321 for more voltage/audio futzing, then your VCA, Mixer, and Outs. Eezy peezy.

It's not perfect, but it's a start towards generative so you can decide when you want to do with your system when you (inevitably) expand your system. Should be fun to play, at least.

Best of luck!

Hi iben,

I asked the same question 2 years ago, and got some great advice from some power users and a suggested setup that really helped direct my rack planning: https://www.modulargrid.net/forum/posts/index/10559.

One of the pieces of advice I got was simply, "nothing about this screams generative to me - how are you expecting to generate random sequences? and modify them over time?"

Part of doing generative music (to me, this is opinion, after all) is using the modules to set up the conditions, restraints, and rules that direct and filter generated randomness into something evolving and (controllably) unpredictable. Unfortunately, doing so often takes a lot of support modules, and with a Rackbrute, there isn't much space to get generative. So my thoughts are that you should be looking at:

1) Sources of randomness. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like you have enough ability to create random voltage sequences. PAMs can do this well in several flavors (random and smooth random), but I find that those 8 outputs get used up fast for other clocking duties. I really enjoy my TipTop/Buchla Source of Uncertainty, but it is regrettably huge. Instruo just put out a new Tagh, which gives multiple types of random in 4 hp. @Sweelinck's suggestion of Turing Machine or Wogglebug are also great. However, maybe consider the uOrnament and Crime, which has different shift register/turing machine appletts, along with a couple of dozen other utility uses. And which brings us to Point 2.

2) Utilities to ontrol the randomness. Well, obviously someone was going to say utilities. But there are a few in particular that you might want to consider that really help me when doing generative.
* Comparators - These send out voltages when a certain threshold is met, or in the case of window comparators, when a voltage is within/without a certain range. For example, sending an LFO through and having gates come out when the LFO crosses a certain threshold. I love Joranalogue's Compare 2 for this, and the DivKid video on it goes into depth about how comparators work in general.
* Sample and hold - Gosh I love these. I'll often send a smooth random signal into one of these and sample at rhythmic intervals to develop my melodies. There are a ton of great ones, but I've really been enjoying After Later Audio's SHTH, which gives you both sample and hold and track and hold, and a few other goodies, in 2hp.
* Attenuators/attenuverters/inverters - My god, a random voltage generator really means random, and that often sounds like crap. So you'll want to attenuate the randomness, or the LFO, or the other cv, or frankly any signal because I just can't think of much that an attenuator/attenuverter/inverter can't help with. PAMS can do this, as well, but again with the limited outputs. A matric mixer like the Doepfer A-138m can be large, but quite useful. I like the Happy Nerding 3x MIA quite a lot, but getting to zero can be tricky on an attenuverter as compared to a pure attenuator. Frap Tools 321 gives you a lot of other functions, as well, but can attenuate and invert nicely. Additionally, you can also use VCAs as attenuators, if you have VCAs to spare...
* VCAS - Guess what, you don't have VCA's to spare. I find that I always want at least one more VCA than whatever number I currently have. A cascading VCA is great, but there are plenty of small VCAs out there to toss in where you have spare hp.
* Quantizer - Perhaps the Varigate can do this? I am not too familiar with it. However, if not, you'll want to be able to quantize your random voltages, because as stated earlier, randomness can sound like crap if not tamed. There are several good ones out there, but to be honest, I've not tried them other than the Dual Quantizer applet on uO_C hemispheres. But that works like a charm. I've heard people love Intellijel's Scales, which is relatively small.

3) A few honorable mentions:
* LFOs - something like Instruo/DivKid's OCHD gives a lot of organic motion in 8 related triangle LFOs.
* Mults - If you're going to be sending multiple copies of a 1v/oct signal, you will want to use Buffered or Active mults, instead of passive ones. The Frap Tools 333 is one such that provides a ton of secret uses. Doepfer's Swtched Multiple A-182-1 (passive, but amazing) is really cool, too.
* uOrnaments and Crime or Disting Super EX - A mutli-utility module that will give you access to a ton of functionality you don't otherwise have room for. Menu diving can be an issue, but they're worth the hp and scrolling in a small system.
* Mutes, routers, shifters, and switches - Don't forget that even with generative music, you'll want to play your instrument. I really enjoy fiddling with DivKid's Mutes, vpme.de's T43 Frequency shifter, and Instruo's tain and (1)F for these purposes.

Hope that helps, best of luck!

(Edited to add that I forgot PAMS can quantize signals as well, if needed, and for spelling, since I apparently need more coffee.)

Looking to expand Mini Brute into the world of modular. How does the community think these modules will play (well, not well, redundant, missing something key, etc...) with the MB?
-- mashume

Which Minibrute do you mean, the 2/2s, or do you mean the Microbrute? The 2s is awesome in conjuction with modular, so many cool modulation and sequencing possibilities. The Microbrute's patchbay is much more limited, but would still expand quite well into a modular rack. Do you already have the linked rack, or are you still shopping around? If you haven't gotten it yet, you may want to consider going a little bigger (the Rackbrute 6u is a good starter size, though I might recommend a Tip Top Mantis - both are great). Don't get me wrong, you can 100% build an amazing instrument in the rack size you have, but you're going to have to be conservative with hp.

How much control do you want over the basslines? Will you mostly be sequencing basslines on the MB and then sending the audio to the rack for futzing, or are you mainly looking to use your rack to modulate cv that goes back and forth into the MB? Or do you want to use the rack to create the bassline melodies itself? I see you've added a good deal of random cv possibilities to the rack since posting, how are you planning to use those? Will you be clocking from the MB?

In general though, you need more architecture (meaning utilities) to get the most out of your modules. For example, you need VCAs; the ones provided on the MB2 are not enough for an expanded system. A chainable VCA like the Intellijel Quad VCA or Mutable Instruments Veils works well. The Veils is the first module I got to expand my Minibrute 2s when dipping my toes into modular, and it completely changed how I used the synth. Also, you are missing modulators like LFOs (ignoring MATHS which, of course, can do that too). A voltage controlled LFO like XAOC's Batumi would give you excellent controllable LFOs that can drastically change your sounds and cv. I see you've added attenuverters/offsets, and MATHS can do that quite handily, but you may want to consider more, so you can better control the modulations and randomness. Happy Nerding's 3xMIA is pretty good at that, and gives you mixing, helping to free up the VCAs and MATHS which can be used in other ways.

There are a number of other utility, modulating, or signal mangling modules that I could recommend, but it really all depends on your goals, particularly with a rack of that size. Hope this helps.

Thread: Bigger Case

noted. can you recommend some of your favorites? i've been eyeing 4ms clock distro / multiplier / divider, addt'l Intellijel logic.

Sure thing. I've really gelled with Doepfer's A-182-1 Switch Multiple and A-151 Sequential Switch. They're pretty cheap as far as modules go, and add a lot of flexibiltiy in just a little hp. I recently got the 4ms QCD and I love it. It's just straightfoward and good at what it does, and is decently easy to adjust in real time. I'm thinking about getting the expander, too. For logic there are a bunch of options; I currently use a Tesseract VC Logics, which gives you two channels a several logic options.

You may want to consider tools like Joranalogue's Swtich 4 or Route 2. I've also been playing with their Morph 4, which on the surface gives you 4 vcas that you can morph/scan through, but it goes so much deeper, and might be an interesting way to mix and blend your signals. I'd also suggest some attenuators or attenuverters to help tame and control things.

There are other interesting modules that might interest you, like comparators to pick gates off of a changing voltage, or slew limiters to give you some glide. Also, I am a big fan of randomness and off-kilter rhythms, though it doesn't sound like that's your main interest. However, even if you want to keep things steady and regular, subtle touches of randomness can really add to the life of a patch. Match random voltages up with a S+H or T+H and suddenly you're in some really interesting territory. Pass it through a quantizer and suddenly you have a non-repeating melody. Using an attenuated smooth random signal to subtly and unpredictably modulate some parameter over time gives a lot of movement to your patch.

Luckily, Pams is already capable of doing both random voltages and smooth random voltages, and has the ability to attenuate, quantize, and do logic. It can also do euclidian patterns, so you can make funky off-kilter patterns. It's another reason to get more mults; you will quickly use up all 8 outs on Pams.

i plan on using ableton as master, possibly thru my sq-64 and into Pam's. i've heard ableton is a bad clock but i've seen it done. that being said, i intend to use standalone as well. not necessarily into bleeps and bloops outside of atmosphere / percussive elements.

If you were gonna play it standalone, then you might want to think about the ergonomics and actual playability of the intstrument. It's not gonna be enjoyable if you build it all and it turns out it's no fun to play. In addition to swtiches and attenuators, you could consider mutes to go along side your matrix mixer.

Good luck with the rack!

Thread: Bigger Case

this is my first rack. i'm experienced with synths and recording, but am wondering if I should roll w the case that fits perfectly, or opt for a little extra space. my GAS is bad but i think i have my basics covrred with these modules.

what am i missing?
-- dreamboat

The general advice is to get a bigger case than you think you need. You never know when GAS will strike! Also, you may find that you want to swap out some modules and suddenly that case isn't such a perfect fit anymore.

That being said, yeah, looks like a good rack with basics covered. The only things I might recommend are more ways to control signal path and timing (e.g., sequential switch, switch multiple, router, logic, clock dividers, etc..) and maybe more mults/vcas. Otherwise though, it looks like a fun place to start.

How do you plan to play the instrument? Are you using external gear to control things, or is this a standalone?

I love it so much. He has some pretty amazing live abilities. But I was looking for a generative sequencer for this rack that only eurorack makes possible. But the more I advance in my reflections the more I tell myself that I will keep it :)

-- timtoum93

Definitely keep it if you mesh well with it. Besides, you'll end up getting more rack space eventually; it's inevitable. If you want to do generative music, however, you may want to consider a few other types of modules that can pair with your random voltage generator. Utilities like a comparator which can allow you to pick gates out of signals like random voltages or lfos (my favorite is the Compare 2, which has a bunch of hidden functionality). Sample and hold/track and hold (I know tagh has one on it, but maybe consider having a dedicated one) also allow you to collect cv from random voltages, enabling you to build changing sequences and melodies. Also, a quantizer so that the cv you sample actually sounds musical.

None of the above are necessities, of course. But they can go a long way to helping you realize a generative system.

Pam not enough for clock multipliers/dividers? For the moment I have a metropolix but it takes up a lot of space. I'm going to have a hard time parting with it. I haven't made my choice between Metropolix and Bloom yet. I think you're right about the extra LFOs and VCAs. Thank you so much :)

-- timtoum93

Since Pam's is capable of a lot of different things aside from clocking (e.g., euclidean patterns, logic, random voltages/smooth random, etc...), I prefer to use a dedicated divider/multiplier (along with a switched multiple for better routing) for the boring clocking signals and leave Pam's outputs open for more interesting tasks.

How is the Metropolix? I've never had the chance to use one but they look fun and pretty easy to perform with.

I have an analog rytm for drums. I do techno and I try to produce with my modular bassline, atmospheres and melodies with many layers of modulation. THANKS :)
-- timtoum93

Hey, looks like a fun rack, but curious how you're planning to sequence triggers or melodies, are those being done off rack? Even if so, you might want to consider something like the 4ms QCD or another clock divider/multiplier for more rhythmic possibilities. I always love a good sample and hold or track and hold, as well.

You have ochd (which is my current favorite lfo) and other modules capable of doing lfos, but you may want to consider more dedicated lfos (particularly those that can be cv controlled) so you can get your layers of modulation. Batumi has a big footprint but is quite powerful, 4ms makes a pingable one, too.

Also, I think you'll want to have some more attenuators or vcas in there to help you control modulation. The Morph 4 is super cool and gives you 4 vcas, but it seems a shame to waste its potential that way. Maybe a good end of chain cascading vca like intellijel's quad vca would help.

Good luck and have fun!

I use the Ensemble Oscillator mostly to get a instant evolving drone going and combine it with more sound elements.
I use the SWN mostly to start a complex sequence as a main leading sound theme >

Thanks for the in depth reply! Unfortunately, it looks like the only real answer is to get both, of course! But it seems like the EO might be a better team player in a smaller rack and more immediately impactful. That SWN seems like a dream, though. Maybe someday. Thanks again!

• 4ms Ensemble Oscillator
    and / or
  • 4ms wavetable navigator

I love them for ambient - they are fantastic
For drones, chords, timbres all the chilling fun

-- MCGM

Not to hijack the thread, but curious if you had a favorite between the two? Both have peaked my interest, but I've not had the chance to try either.

And yes, I do have this many Maths...

Wow, that's impressive. Are you gonna be keeping Maths in your main racks while you do this, or are you covering the functionality in different ways? Just curious 'cuz I'm always interested in how people replace Maths.

I might do a writeup or a video or so of the results (me getting all tangled up in a mess of wires).

I think I speak for us all here when I say, yes, please do!

Agree with Jukeshoe. However, if you DO have that many Maths and go through with this, please, please film the results!

ModularGrid Rack

Ok, this was a neat challenge. But to be honest, I think my solution might need some work. I like where Sweelinck was headed (particularly with the Morphagene), as well. Maybe one of the real power users will come along and give some suggestions. But let me show you where my thinking is leading, and you can do with that as you will.

For starters, I kept almost all the modules you've already gotten, only switching out your passive mult for a buffered mult. A passive mult does not do as good a job as a buffered when multing signals; if you want to mult 1v/oct signals, you'll want a buffered mult so there is no drop in voltage. Also, I'd get a multi-cable rather than a passive mult, to save space. The other thing to consider is that the Rene, as badass as it is, takes up 32hp. That's pretty dear for a sequencer, even one as powerful as Rene. You have 104 hp to use (if the above case is accurate), don't waste nearly a third of it on a sequencer. Get something off rack like a BSP, or go for a bigger case so you don't have to sacrifice other modules for Rene.

Keeping in mind that you are interested in dark ambient with a hint of generative, I did the following (listed by function).

Top Row: Random voltages, VCOs (3 v/oct ins), multimode filter (2 inputs), mults, Maths (so many functions, but at most basic, a mixer/attenuverter/function generator), audio manipulation in the form of uClouds and uRings, function/envelopes/quad cascading VCA.
Bottom Row: Clocking, modulators, attenuverters, S/H and T/H, sequencer, precision adder, sequential switch, uO_C (so many functions, only two levels of menu diving), and end of chain VCAs, effects, and mixers.

My thought is that you could use the bottom row to supply motion, modulation, attenuation, triggers, gates, and sequences. These can be manipulated or quantized (which Rene can already do, but what if you use you S/H for a melody?) or so many other things using uO_C. After that you have another VCA and then end of chain processing. I give you for effects the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL, which sounds great, though you will want to have a printout of the different settings at hand. There's a new version out with a screen, but you don't have the hp for it at the moment.

The top row has sound sources, giving you 3 digital voices that come out of the VCOs ready to go. However, if you wanted to filter further, the Filter 8 gives you plenty to play with. And Joranalogue always throws extra functionality into their modules. Then Maths, which is so handy it needs its own post. Then sound processing in uClouds and uRings. I generally prefer the real article to clones, but it makes sense with MI's situation and your hp. Finally, function/envelope generation and VCAs to craft the shape of the sound.

My typical approach to building a rack is to try to think through the signal path as I plan. From beginning to end, where might I need to send voltages, or what parameters will I want to mangle? That way I can start thinking about the system as an instrument rather than a collection of modules.

Finally, there are utilities. These are hard to figure out without trying them, unless you're already blessed with electrical engineering experience. I mean, how are you supposed to know that sequential switches can be your best friend when building longer sequences, or that precision adders rock, or that comparators are game changers for generative music? The uO_C, particularly with Hemispheres loaded, gives you a chance to test them all out and decide what you actually need. In general (adapting something Sweelinck said in another thread), if you think of your system as a building, the oscillators, filters, and fancy modules are rooms, but you need the utilities to act as hallways and corridors (and sometimes fun-house mirrors) to get from room to room. I highly recommend looking up some videos about different utilities to get a better sense of what they do. Loopop, Mylarmelodies, and DivKid were sources I went to when I was figuring this out, and I found them invaluable.

Anyways, maybe one of the really experienced folks will tell you something different. But it looks like you're on a good path, you just need to think more about the architecture and connecting pieces of your system.

Good luck!

HGsynth thanks for the reply. This already helps a lot. Worth of mentioning is that i'm using a beatstep pro as wel to clock everything and as a sequencer. I was thinking about Pamela's new workout, or a extra vca from intelijel. What kind of multi-fuction tool do i have to think of?

My pleasure. Putting together a system without having tried all the modules is tough, particularly if you're new to this. Glad to help.

Ok, BSP is a fine choice. I love both my Pam's (I have "New Workout," haven't tried the "Pro") and my Intellijel quad VCA; both massively changed how I used my system. Also, the Pam's brings us back to utilities, because you should consider what you want to do with the clock from Pam's. How will you mult the boring regular pulses from one output so you can make use of Pam's more interesting features in the others, like euclidean rhythms, logic, quantization, or smooth random? Do you want to be able to multiply or divide the clock to send different speeds of the signal around your system? Do you want to use the gates as envelopes?
Clock dividers or multipliers (e.g, 4ms QCD), buffered mults (e.g., Joranalogue Link2), VCAs (so many different ones), attenuators/attenuverters/inverters (e.g., Happy Nerding 3xMIA, Frap 321, etc.), and slew (e.g., Joranalogue Contour 1, Doepfer A-171, etc.) all seem to make more sense when you think about it that way.

Other utilities, like window comparators, logic, precision adders, S/H or T/H, gate-trigger converters, etc. all are harder to conceptualize until you need one while patching. For example, what if I wanted to pick gates off of two related LFOs whenever their voltages reach a certain range? Or I want to make a step sequence from a complex LFO or smooth random voltages? Or what if one of my modules is not reacting properly to a gate because it only like triggers or the voltage is not high enough? All situations I've come across, leading to getting the utilities above.

For a multi-tool, I think Ornament and Crime is a complete game-changer. It's menu-diving is only 2 steps deep, and it has so many tools on it (personally, I prefer the Hemispheres option). Play around with that for a while and you'll get to know what utilities you need. People also love the Disting EX and MK4, but I haven't tried those personally. The EX is on my to get list, though. I recommend watching some videos about the different utilities to figure them out. There are a lot of good ones: Divkid, loopop, mylarmelodies, red means recordings, etc... so many great folks in the community explaining how modules work and giving patching ideas. I always watch a ton of those before making a purchase.

Good luck!

Forgetting utilities, modulation sources, etc. is a very common mistake at the beginning. When we think about our dream house, we are mainly focused on the living room, the bedrooms, the kitchen, the bathroom... Corridors, doors, staircases and closets are less of a dream.

@Sweelinck, I love this analogy. Definitely using it in the future. Thanks!

Two thoughts.

1) You have a lot of nice modules here, and I wouldn't necessarily drop anything that you already have. But I would say that you're missing the architecture necessary to actually use a lot of the modules: utilities. You should be thinking about how to actually get signals to the modules and how you'll morph the signals along the way. For example, you have Batumi for LFOs. Awesome choice, but how are you gonna tame the signal without wasting Maths? Maybe an attenuator (or better yet, attenuverter) or two would help. Or, of course, you could have more VCAs. A sample and hold or track and hold might be worth considering for turning those random voltages into step sequences. A quantizer would be cool, too. What if you want to route a signal to multiple locations? Buffered mults will allow that without any drop in voltage. I particularly like the Doepfer Switched Multiples and Sequential switch for these purposes. There are many utilities that will allow you to mangle, tame, move, or manipulate the signal; don't forget about them! Maybe check out a multi-function tool or VCV rack to get a sense of which utilities you'll need.

2) How are you connecting to the outside world? Are you working with a computer or DAW, or just the standalone modular synth?

Best of luck!

Hi all,

As a fun challenge, I wanted to see if I could build a semi-generative system in small rack. So, using a Rackbrute 6U and modules I already own, I present the results. I explain my thinking below. But what about you? What's the tightest/most complete instrument you could build in a Rackbrute using only modules you already own? Any style, but please explain your rack.

So, here's my thinking:
Row 1: power, clocking, routing/mults, uO_C, voices, envelopes, VCAs
Row 2: modulators, gates, s/h, routing, triggers, VCA, effects, and end of chain processing.

Pam's runs the show with the master clock, with some utilitarian architecture afterwards to get the signals around. My main modulators are Batumi and Ochd, but there are other LFOs and modulators around, as well. Random gates, triggers, and sequences can come from several sources: uO_C, Pam's, or a combo of utilities. These get quantized by uO_C, which then feeds Plaits and Rings. Zadar helps shape it all alongside Veils. Then, the signals make their way to the end of the chain with some effects and sound shaping along the way. Finally, to cheat, there is the ES-9, making the exercise kind of irrelevant, but fun nonetheless.

So, let's see your racks.

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post.

No problem!

part of me thinks I should start very small so that I can learn my modules and figure out what I need

Yes and no. Yes - start with a small number of modules that will work together to give you a chance to learn how they interact. No - don't use a small starter case. Really, you'll be kicking yourself in a year (or sooner) if you start with a tiny case.

One other option I forgot to mention is that you'll get a lot of bang for your buck with a multi-utility or multi-function tool like Maths (worth the hp for all the versatility it brings), uOrnament and Crime, or Disting EX. The last two are a little menu-divey, but either will give you access to a large number of utilities and will allow you to figure out which ones you actually use.

Good luck!

Hey, good luck with the journey. It's fun, and the rabbit hole of searching for interesting modules is addictive.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to use modular in your music? If you just want to build a sequence and have drums, it's way cheaper to go the route of drum machines and sequencers. Sound mangling is cool, but again, probably cheaper off rack. Of course they can't do what modular does, but you could buy a lot of instruments for the price of a full rack that can do many of the same functions as modular.

That out of the way, two things jump out at me about your racks:

1) VCOs and VCFs combine for 56 hp of space for just two independent voices. That's a whole lot of real estate for a case that's only 104hp. As cool as those oscillators are, maybe find smaller versions, or dual oscillators or filters? If you like Instruo, their Ts-L has a voltage controlled wavefolder and is only 6hp. Klavis Twin Waves Mk II is huge sounding in 8 hp, and itself is a dual VCO. If you want to keep it analogue, Make Noise has STO. Shakmat Modular's Dual Dagger is a dual VCF in 6 hp. Right there you have 2 to 3 independent voices in 16-18 hp. That gives you a lot of space back to work with. Particularly, since you'll want to use it for....

2) Utilities. You need more utilities, in particular for clocking and triggering. Yes, you have a monster sequencer, but adding something like a Pam's would give you a lot more options and flexibility. Things like clock divider or multipliers will give you access to a lot more rhythmic options. Logic modules allow for more interesting combinations and trigger sequencers. I see you're planning on getting the Compare 2, which has some logic built in. Great module. Personally, I LOVE sample/track and hold, and they are super cool to use as modulators, and can be used to build melodies from the LFOs you have (which, you could also get more of).

Utilities are useful because they are just so damn versatile. For example, how about more attenuators or attenuverters to subtly affect signals, or even invert them? Or, another example of the utility of utilities, you could build a step sequencer with just a clock, a sequential switch and a matrix mixer, and suddenly with three utility modules you have a sequence. Add something that can quantize, and suddenly you have a melody you can control with a mixer, all from utilities and a clock. Routing is important too. Spreading that signal around with Link 2 is great (personally I love Joranalogue), but how about adding Doepfer's Switch Multiple that gives you mults and the ability to route signals. Joranalogue just announced a new routing module that looks sick, so maybe think about that, too.

Anyways, I'm sure someone with more experience can give you more focused advice specific to hip hop, but my general thoughts are stay away from big sound making modules, and stick close to the smaller, cheaper, utilities.

Good luck!

Lots of food for thought there. Appreciate the input!

-- FUNKEDub

My pleasure, glad it was of some help! Enjoy the rack, it looks like fun!

No idea why the link is showing a weird half-empty rack. Click it and you should go to the real rack. Mods, any idea how to fix?

ModularGrid Rack

I'm not terribly experienced giving feedback like this, so take this with a grain of salt, but here are my thoughts:

1. Bigger case. You're just gonna find yourself limited with 84 hp, no matter how you look at it. Particularly since you can only have 10 modules plugged into this case, regardless of how much hp you can squeeze out of it. The Nifty case has things going for it, no doubt (like the DAW connectivity), but you're just going to get frustrated saying "no" to interesting modules with a case this size when for only a module's amount more you can get something bigger (e.g., Mantis, etc..) that will allow you more flexibility.

2. The Grandmother already comes with a sequencer and arpeggiator, a filter that you can send a signal into, and a few other tricks. Use those and don'y waste space with modules like the 2HP Arp (it's a good module, but not a great use of space). Also, between Plait's natural abilities and the VCF on the Grandmother, the MI Ripples starts to seem unnecessary.

3. Triggers and LFOs. As you can see, I've done a lot to your rack. Moved your Pams to the left (personal preference) and gave it the expander. Pam's can do a lot of neat tricks (triggers, gates, logic, quantization, stepped/smooth random, limited envelopes, euclidean rhythms, etc.). You don't want to waste its regular outputs on something dull like a steady 1x trigger. Use the expander for that. Next, we have modulation. Your A-147-2 is awesome, but pretty big for that case. So, I went bigger. For 5 hp more, you get Batumi and it's expander, giving you up to 12 LFO outs. Plus it can be cv controlled, self-patched, and has a few neat rhythmic modes that will keep you busy.

4. Utilities and cv-futzers. More, you need more. Audio manglers sound nice, but the richness and movement and finesse in modular come from the ability to move, attenuate, switch, offset/invert, route, and otherwise f-up a signal, which is what utilities give. First, you have the Happy Nerding 3x MIA. Everybody needs attenuverters, and this is 1 more than the one you had already. Also, the double pots are great to play with. Then the A-130-2, dual VCAs, since you really can't have too many. I like to have VCAs after my LFOs so I can modulate the modulator. Then, the A-182-1, Switched Multiple. This module takes no power and allows you to manually send or mute signals to two different sources. It also acts as a 2 channel multiple. As simple as it is, I've found it essential to my patches. Then uO_C, which gives you access to a whole host of programs to try out, such as quantizers, sequencers, slew, clock dividers, envelopes, simple comparators, vcas, and logic, etc... I prefer it with Hemisphere loaded, but it's amazing either way. A bit menu-divey, but it will give you a sense of what utilities and tools you'll want to dedicate a standalone module to in the future. Then the endorphins.es Airstreamer for ADSR duties (and other things like slew, s/h, etc.). Unfortunately, envelopes were an area I couldn't really help with (aside from uO_C and Airstreamer), as I don't know of good dual (or more) envelope generators that are thin. If you had a few hp more you could go with some interesting options, but you are limited at the moment to 4 hp (see below about Plaits). At the end, I give you another Happy Nerding Module, the 3x VCA, since, you really can't have too many of them, and they work great as an end of chain module. Also, those double pots.

5. Audio. Plaits has got a big footprint, but I always prefer the real MI modules to clones. That said, with MI gone now, a clone like Knits would not be a bad or problematic choice. With Plait's/Knit's onboard abilities, you can do without an additional VCF, hence the removal of Ripples (no offense to a cool module intended). Then Beads. Beads is awesome. Beads stays. Be aware though, it takes some playing around with to get the sounds you want out of it. Once you figure it out though (and if you have enough modulation), it can really do wonders. With 3 hp left, I give you Erica Synths DSP, just a few more effects to play around with.

And there you have it. Should let you have a good time with your Grandmother and keep you flexible enough to experiment.

In the final assessment though, I think you have space to have fun, but you'd have a whole lot more fun with a bigger case.

Best of luck!

musicstore expect new mantises at the start of July

Oooh, thanks for the tip! And in black, too, so tempting.

1) what am I missing?
possibly nothing - what do you reach for? do you run out of mixer channels/vcas/envelope generators/lfos?

3) how would you spend that remaining 20 hp?
probably more utilities... and/or a 2nd fx aid... I'm contemplating a pro to add to my xl (so I can use the duplicate 1st 32 algos trick to see what I'm doing)

-- JimHowell1970

Hi Jim, thanks! If I'm not running out of cables first, it's usually attenuators and switches. I'm hoping to have solved that a bit in the updated version, linked below.

Any favorite utilities that are typically overlooked? Also, that fx aid pro looks great, and I'm really tempted, just not sure about that 14 hp size (I wonder if there are more mantis cases in stock...). I added an Erica Synths Pico DSP to my updated plan, but I haven't played around with their modules before, so I'm not sure if that's the right direction to go in. Definitely think it will be interesting to have some effects earlier in my signal chain, though.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks again for the feedback!

I can't help with your main questions, I'm afraid. I'm actually pretty curious about this myself.

But I wanted to say that I wouldn't wait on uO_C unless you have to. It's not glamorous or necessarily fun to play with, but it will give you access to a number of tools that will allow you to do a lot with the modules you already have. It was seriously a game-changer in my own rack. Best of luck!

I agree with @Sweelinck, particularly about watching that video. If you haven't seen them already, Mylarmelodies' videos are immensely helpful in putting together a rack and just understanding modular in general.

As for your case, my first thought is the QPas is taking up a whole lot of territory. It may sound great, but if you can't fit anything else in the rack to use with it, it won't work for you the way you want it to. To be honest, Plaits is so robust and flexible (particularly with the new firmware update) that you could probably get away without a dedicated VCF.

Next, you need modulators. Things like lfos that will give movement and flow to your patches and let you change parameters without futzing with tiny knobs like on the 2hp modules. 2hp makes great modules, but you really need to think about usability and spacing with their knobs. For example, would you be able to play with the Mix's knobs during a live set without accidentally messing with Plaits' settings? Back to modulators, one great module is DivKid's ochd, 8 triangle lfo's in 4hp, it makes really organic motion. Doesn't help with other wave shapes, but I love it. Though it's a bigger footprint (10hp), Xaoc's Batumi is a classic and gives you access to a wide range of lfo options. Amazing when self-patched, too.

How about percussion? It doesn't usually makes sense to waste space with drum modules if you don't have much hp to spare (use outboard gear for that), but if you wanted everything on rack, something like Erica Synths Pico Drums (3hp) might be interesting. If you are using off rack percussion, or just because it's awesome, then something that can send out triggers would be helpful. You could use that to build patterns or any number of other useful things. Of course the Pamela's New Workout / Pro (10hp) is a standard, but there are other, interesting ones like Euclidian Circles by vpme.de (10hp) or various logic modules (which, in fact, Pamela's can also do).

Finally, but maybe most importantly (@JimHowell1970): utilities. Your case already comes with a good starter pack (attenuators, mults, vcas, mixers, Maths), but that's really only scratching the surface of what's out there. You can squeeze so, so much life out of your system using utilities. Also, they're often cheaper than the sexier vcos and vcfs, so that's a plus. Something like Ornament and Crime (particularly with hemisphere loaded) gives you a huge number of utilities and therefore flexibility in something like 8hp, depending on who makes it. I haven't yet used it myself, but Expert Sleepers' Super Disting EX Plus Alpha is a monster for utilities (also 8hp). While they're not very fun to play and do have some menu diving, either one will open a ton of doors to different tools that will change your modular experience for the better.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

(edited 'cuz I thought of more things to say)

not sure how to post a proper link

copy & paste the url... needs to be a public rack

-- JimHowell1970

Got it, thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

That's the current set up, but as I said, there's not too much that's sacrosanct. I've had to take some things out for the suggested rack above to make space, but I think all functionality is already covered by the additions.

Are there any utilities that I'm missing that might be helpful? I'm thinking that between the o_C and disting I have pretty good coverage, but would anything benefit by being a standalone module?

Hi friendly modular experts!

Here's another post seeking feedback and constructive criticism on a potential rack. I already have a lot of these modules (current rack is here: https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2104407.jpg, not sure how to post a proper link), but nothing is sacrosanct. Goal is to be a jack of all trades, but my main focus is on melodic generative music with a lot of playable sound mangling possibility. The image represents a Minibrute 2s connected to a Rackbrute 6u, with a Mantis case to the right.

General approach
Rackbrute - bottom row: usb interface, modulators, randomness and noise, s+h. top row: clocks, triggers, quantizers, general utilities
Mantis - bottom row: envelopes, mixers, effects, eq and output. top row: oscillators and sound sources, filters and effects.

I've tried to cover all my bases and be heavy handed with utilities, but it turns out I have 20 hp left if I stick with my current plan.

So my questions are:
1) what am I missing?
2) what do I have too much of/what's redundant?
3) how would you spend that remaining 20 hp?

Thanks everyone!

Very cool. I've never used anything from 1010 Music, but I've definitely seen that people love them. I'm currently running my rack into a DAW. I find that the ability to record has definitely made me rethink my approach to patching. In fact, it's one of the things that made me curious to ask this question. Since I can basically record everything now, each patch feels like it has a million different subtle variations and each one has a chance to be that happy little accident I'm looking for. Typically, I just end up with multiple hours of meh, but hey, there's a few good samples here and there. But it's become a struggle between teasing out each variation versus just making a new patch and starting fresh, which I expect is a common experience here. Not sure when I'm chasing something that will be great versus chasing a diminishing return.

I definitely appreciate the wide spectrum of responses I've gotten so far, it's really interesting to hear all the different approaches.

Very interesting, thanks.

Also, cool track! How did you get the light, bouncy runs that pan back and forth throughout the piece?

I'm actually trying to get to a position where I can have the minimal number of modules that have the greatest versatility. I have somewhere around 100+ modules so it gets a bit frustrating knowing that I have any handful of modules that will accomplish the same things. I like making music way more than I like fiddling around with my rack setups and wiring!

-- frankdog

True that. I have a smaller rig (at least at the moment, fingers crossed that changes), but to be honest, I find I push myself in more interesting directions when I limit myself to only a few choice modules. I still think the best modular piece I've made so far was with nothing more than the Minibrute 2s, Veils, and O_c. Somehow now that I have many more modules than that, I can't seem to recreate what I did. Which I guess hits on your other point of making notes/recordings of patches.

@Arrandan, very cool. Things in 5 just have a certain funk to them, don't they. I'm definitely going to attempt your approach of aiming for regular, disciplined recording of jams and then moving on to a new patch. At least until I build a better understanding of my modular system and have a critical mass of modules that allows for longer-term exploration of a patch.

Awesome, thanks for the tips!