Okay played around with my VCAs a little bit more and found the Doepfer 130-2 VCAs are creating a pretty loud clicking sound when being on volume control duty. Out of plaits is connected to the VCA and CV is connected to an LFO (doesnt matter which waveform). Is that normal or am I doing something wrong ?
-- 9xpad

If the issue isn't limited to one waveform (and one that has a hard leading edge!), then my bet is that you could be overloading one of the inputs...and since it's a "click" on the output, my bet is that the culprit is the CV input. Try this: set up a VERY SLOW triangle LFO, then feed that to the CVs. At the same time, also connect an oscilloscope to watch the LFO cycling through the waveform. My bet is that once the LFO reaches the maximum voltage limits, the "click" appears. Also, set the scope so that you can read the voltage on the Y axis, and you'll have a good indication of what's really happening and at what voltage level it occurs.

This click could also be the result of some DC offset voltage getting into the LFO waveform and pushing it well beyond the operational limit of the CV inputs. Remember: if you have a +5/-5 volt cycle, inputting an offset will make that +whatever voltage the offset is. Jam in an offset of +10VDC, and suddenly your high value on the mod signal is peaking at a really unacceptable +15V. If the LFO has an offset control, that should be at ZERO when generating bipolar modulation signals.

-- Lugia

Okay investigated a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have a scope but I would really like to get one as that could help me out a lot. Any recommendations (preferably non-modules as my space already is pretty limited)? So the culprit creating static and clicks is the slop setting on my Pamelas new workout in combination with a euclidean (example 4steps 3 trigger). It gives me 3 clean Gates (beep-beep-beep-nothing) but every now and then instead of the 4th step being mute, it gives a super small Gate just a really short spike that is audible as a click. I thought slop just introduces timing errors but this is creating an extra unwanted trigger.

Okay played around with my VCAs a little bit more and found the Doepfer 130-2 VCAs are creating a pretty loud clicking sound when being on volume control duty. Out of plaits is connected to the VCA and CV is connected to an LFO (doesnt matter which waveform). Is that normal or am I doing something wrong ?

I often tend to chain my VCAs to "entwine" some Euclidean trigger sequences with different offsets to create a rhythmic pattern.

Wouldn't in that case a mixer be the way to go? Like a Doepfer A-138n for example which mixes 4 of those sequences at 4TE whereas the dual VCA only gives me 3 (In+CV+CV / out to second In is used for the chain). I was told VCA > Mixer but I am not so sure about that. As of my understanding right now a Mixer > VCA whenever the use case doesn't need the input gain to be 0.

Started experimenting with the "volume control" use and really like it thx for the vid, definitely brought some ideas on what could be done.

So VCAs are somewhat of a cornerstone of modular as far as I understood. Getting some helped me to understand some basic as to why that is the case but how do these work? As I find a lot of info on this topic still confusing I would really want to talk about my specific case:

I have 2 Doepfer 130-2 VCAs ( I thought the switch thingy could let me dodge the linear vs. exponential topic for now).

First topic: Gain
For the sake of simplicity, I have a Signal with a Value of 10 coming in so the gain gives me an output of 1 at 1, an output of 2 at 2, and so on. First of all, is that how it works, or am I making things up beginning from this point?

Second topic: CV
This is where my headache begins. What does CV exactly do? The CV knob is doing the same for the CV value as the Gain for the Input value I assume (so again at a CV Signal 10 gives me a CV of 1 at 1, a CV of 2 at 2. So how do these values get merged? Will the CV value be added to the Input (after gain) or is it a multiplication? Am I right to assume that a CV of 2 and an Input of 3 will get me to an output of 5 (or is it a multiplication and gets me an output of 6?). Is the output capped? As most stuff in modular works in a certain range it should be but where is that cap and will it "distort" or anything if pushed past?

Thanks for anyone willing to teach me.

Both Ornament and Crime as well as the Disting are kinda scary for me. I feel like it's easy to get lost in those while scrolling through tons of different functions. As much as I love my Pams the scrolling and setting up feels tedious at times. The Disting might be something I am willing to look into but for the sequencer, I really like the "simplicity" modules like the Digitalis have to offer (Every button to alter the sequence is right there/ simple led illustration). At first, I was even looking at something like a bunch of XAOC Tirana's (I really like the aesthetic of XAOC modules) but 6TE per 4 steps single sequence is rough when space is an issue.

Regarding the Sono Abitus, I am not quite sure if I understand what it has to offer. From my understanding, it is just a bunch of outputs, right? I mean everything the rack produces is mono anyway so every output on the Abitus is giving me the same signal. So it is like 5 outputs with one having an extra volume Knob?

So this is try 2 of giving my NiftyCase some more oomph.

I will be starting from left to right:

Pams: Love it. So many possibilities from simple clock stuff to LFO duties, basic step sequencing, Random CVs, and many more this module is nuts and I will probably still find new ways to utilize it on a daily basis.

Steppy: Don't have it yet. I ordered a Robaux LL8 but unfortunately, one of the buttons wasn't working (still had some fun trying it out). The Steppy seems like the more mature version of the LL8 and 4 outputs vs the 8 of the LL8 will be plenty enough for a rack this size I guess.

Zadar: I heard lots of talk about me needing envelopes so I included the Zadar as 4x premium envelope control. It seems to fit the needs. I didn't order it yet as I am still stuck on the basics but it should make sense here no?

Doepfer VCAs: So as a beginner I was a little bit sceptical about VCAs. Modulating modulations seemed a bit redundant to me. Now that I own these 2 dual VCAs things are clearing up for me. Really like playing around with them in all kind of ways. I went for the switchable ones as I couldn't really decide on the whole linear vs. exponential debate. So yeah I got both covered(suck it internet ppl who keep arguing about which is better :D). The question is: Are 4 enough? I mean clearly, I could see myself using more (like a lot more) but I still need some room for other stuff right?

Twiigs: Yeah I know you guys hated the idea of having a Twiigs in a rack that small and yeah I kinda start feeling the same way. A lot of the modules already have randomization options and it definitely is the least used module I own so far. So yeah it might get kicked out in the future (any recommendations on filling another 8hp?)

Plaits: Main voice - ordered - nuff said ... or maybe not?

Rings: Big fan - nice sound - will never leave this case

Digitalis: As Steppy covers the step sequencing side the Digitalis is here to give me control over the cv sequencing. I haven't ordered it yet but it's high up on my "Things to get" list.

Timiszoara: Yeah it is not out yet but a dual effect processor really seems to check a lot of boxes for a dual voiced mini rack. Arguably could be exchanged with other effect or filter modules.

Doepfer Headphone amp: 2 ins and finally something I can plugin my headphone to not always have to use an external headphone amp - Yeah totally fits my bill for the last 6hp of this case (not bought yet)

Oh yeah and for multiples, I use some Black Market Monomults so far. I don't really feel like "wasting" rack space for that even though a buffered mult could come in handy maybe (idk never had one never missed it I guess)

My main focus is to create an enjoyable musical experience that works standalone.
So what are we thinking? Any recommendations? Any arguments to cut certain modules?

As always thank you for your suggestions.

I mean yeah the modules are pretty limited but you do get quite a lot for the 60€ the bundle costs more than the solo case. For now, I will keep them in for some background noise.

Getting back to the Mutable Instruments Kinks. I do get the sample and hold thing now and feel like I could totally benefit from that but the other stuff on the Kinks don't really appeal to me yet. So I lean more into a Doepfer A-148 as a simple dual sample and hold module.

Edit: Also I am looking into getting some rhythm background going in this case. It doesn't need to be a full drum set but maybe something to create a somewhat "enjoyable" metronome percussion or maybe bass. Maybe If I just modulate a bass-drum module? Or a Hihat as it kinda gives me 2 elements (open/closed). Again I do know I can't get it all into this case so it's more of a fancy metronome thingy I am aiming for

VCV rack for me is more of a learning program than something I want to integrate into a physical setup. I just put together stuff there to see how it interacts with each other to get a general idea about how stuff is working. So no es8 or es9 for me.

Update 23.06.21
As I got a decent deal on Twiigs and a nanoRings (still considering getting the big one if I feel like it) I ordered those two. Living in Europe it is kinda hard to get those modules from serious sellers that provide warranty (again correct me if I am wrong) so I just had to take them.

As I want to use the Pams as my main "trigger" for everything else I would sync it up via the nifty case clock output (midi from my OP1 into the cases midi input). Then the Pam will give me synced clock signals and divisions or multiplications thereof. If the midi clock really is way too far off the clk in on the Pam should also be able to be synced by a click-track (correct me if I am wrong on that). While Pam can run the 16 step sequencer of Cellz (needs a signal and a division of 4 of that signal) Marbles can't as far as I know.

As far as the micro and nano modules go I understand the concerns and I really like the aesthetics of the full-sized Mutable Instruments but the small clones have their own appeal by being more cost and space-efficient. While of course this can make things messy too for a first dive into modular they seem to give me more bang for the buck.

For the branches/twiigs: I really like the simplicity of the concept and feel it might be a fun thing to play around with.

Speaking of voices the plaits was the first to catch my eye but now as I understand things a little bit more I had quite some fun playing around with the Mutable Instruments Rings in VCV Rack. Coming from a guitarist background I just resonate (no pun intended) with the strings sounds it can create. Could Rings be a good option instead of the Plaits?

So here are the updates I did so far

__Update 22.06.21 __
-Got rid of the the 2hp tune as it was deemed unnecessary
-Swapped the mixer for a Mutable Instruments Veils
-Got rid of the branches and Marbles and inserted a Twiigs (4 random gates + pam should still be a lot of randomization)
-Bought Pams new workout as syncing cellz and chipz with external gear is a pain in the ass as off now and beeing one of the highest rated and most popular modules this doesn't seem like a bad starter (tho it might be a bit overloaded for a beginner like me)

I do believe that for a full-fledged Eurorack-System this case will be too small yet this is just the start of my journey. I will probably pick up the modules one by one so even filling up this case will take its time. The gaps it has are filled by external gear for now (OP1+Electribe and some guitar pedals+external mixer). Once I get to the limit of the case I can still consider adding more or switching to a bigger case. So the new question erupting is: What to get first/next?

Hi I recently got really interested in building a modular synth. So far I bought a Nifty Bundle with the case (84hp) Cellz and Chipz. That makes 60HP left that I want to fill with some interesting modules. I don't necessarily have a narrow vision on what I want to achieve. I just want to play around and have fun creating some engaging evolving sounds. I do like weird modulations and imperfections so to say I am more of a kid playing around than a "real" musician. So far I came up with this rack:

Pams New Workout: For clock and somewhat a jack of all trades for triggers and signals. (Bought)
Plaits: As my main voice (it seems to be quite versatile in what can be achieved with plaits)
[Marbles: A random sequencer with room for interesting modulations]
[Branches: Trigger/Gate randomization]
[2x2hp Tune: Tuning frequenzies. So far I planned 2 one for each voice]
Cellz and Chipz: They are non-negotiable as I already have them. I know they are not the greatest modules yet usable
[Doepfer A-138n: A mixer where I can merge my voices]
Doepfer A-121-3: Highpass Lowpass Bandpass for filter reasons
Twiigs: For randomization (swapped in for Marbles and Branches)
Mutable Instruments Veils: Swapped in for Doepfer A-138n

That makes for a total of 10 Modules. Now the Question: Is it any good? Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?

Update 22.06.21
-Got rid of the the 2hp tune as it was deemed unnecessary
-Swapped the mixer for a Mutable Instruments Veils
-Got rid of the branches and Marbles and inserted a Twiigs (4 random gates + pam should still be a lot of randomization)
-Bought Pams new workout as syncing cellz and chipz with external gear is a pain in the ass as off now and beeing one of the highest rated and most popular modules this doesn't seem like a bad starter (tho it might be a bit overloaded for a beginner like me)

Update 23.06.21
As I got a decent deal on Twiigs and a nanoRings (still considering getting the big one if I feel like it) I ordered those two. Living in Europe it is kinda hard to get those modules from serious sellers that provide warranty (again correct me if I am wrong) so I just had to take them.

I do believe that for a full-fledged Eurorack-System this case will be too small yet this is just the start of my journey. I will probably pick up the modules one by one so even filling up this case will take its time. The gaps it has are filled by external gear for now (OP1+Electribe and some guitar pedals+external mixer). Once I get to the limit of the case I can still consider adding more or switching to a bigger case. So the new question erupting is: What to get first/next?