I made the unfortunate mistake of confusing UPS with USPS when ordering from Control, shipment took 4 weeks to arrive into Australia. Disclaimer on Control's website does state that there is significant delays with USPS.

Interestingly when I contacted AU post they told me that the USPS tracking isn't accurate, and items are not actually scanned at each port, instead you’re given a 'projected' date and time items go through each sorting facility, so in essence once your shipment is picked up by USPS it disappears into the ether until it lands on your doorstep...

it sounds as if the vca is not closing properly - nb I don't have any of these modules

try taking the vca out of the patch - try gate from keystep straight into the vca cv input... does that behave as expected - ie when you press a key the note starts and when you release it the note ends? remember a gate is a type of envelope that just goes fully on, sustains (whilst the key is pressed, in your case) and then off again

if this is working what happens when you ignore step 4 above and then manually trigger the envelope with the button on ceis?
-- JimHowell1970
Upon further investigation I think you're right. I connected the gate from the KSP into the cv input of the VCA, output of VCO (saich) into VCA input. VCA stays open with the signal from Saich, note on and note off from the KSP works, but it's on top of the open signal from Saich. If I reverse this and connect KSP gate to VCA input, and VCO output to VCA cv input, no open signal from saich and note on works, but when I release the key note on happens again... hope that makes sense

I setup a simple patch:

1. Pitch cv from Keystep into pitch input of my Instruo Saich.
  2. Output of Saich to input 1 of Erica's Quad VCA.
  3. VCA output 1 to my outputs.
  4. Gate cv from Keystep into gate input of Ceis.
  5. CV out of Ceis to cv input of VCA, ceis switched to gate.
  6. Set fast attack, medium decay, full sustain and short release but it doesn't behave like it should, there's no note off, notes just keep ringing out.
  7. If I swap the input and cv around on the VCA it sort of behaves like a envelope, except with the above settings if I press and hold a note the sustain only lasts a few seconds, and when I release the key it plays the note again...

Hi everyone,

If anyone here owns one, is there a way to set up the envelope so that it doesnt 'step' through the ADSR, so it performs like a tradional ADSR for say pads etc. I've read the manual and tried every configuraton I can think of, perhaps it's not designed that way?

Cheers
.J.

Well I've just ordered some modules from Perfect Circuit and Control Voltage who use Fedex and UPS respectively, so fingers crossed how this turns out, all shipped on the same day (I'm in the AU), let the race begin...

MOTU drivers? Yeah, they're out there...check here: https://motu.com/download and you'll see the 8pre under "Audio". Win10 drivers, even!

What I like about them is that, by putting these "obsolete" interfaces back to work, we're working to keep e-waste out of landfills. You'd be shocked at what major studios toss out sometimes; nothing is as satisfying as pulling a few Altec/WE "birdcages" out of a Music Row dumpster!
-- Lugia

Yeah I know, but they stopped supporting/providing drivers for 828mk2 FW back in 2017 up to OSX 10.13 and I'm running 10.15 Catalina, it's all good, don't need the drivers, just use it as another set of in/outs :)

I never realised you could go dumpster diving for old studio gear, awesome haha

Thanks for the advice. The Motu choice was a happy accident, used them in the past, and recently bought the 8pre-es before looking at getting into modular, so lucked out with the whole DC thing :)

-- TheSoundGardxn

Another nice thing about those older MOTU interfaces is that most pro audio types these days consider them to be "obsolete", so they turn up for cheap. That makes it relatively easy and definitely inexpensive to slap new I/O in in banks of 8 via either another interface or the ADAT lightpipe. Plus, add an outboard patchbay to the mix, route your I/O through that, and then it becomes a snap to change your CV/gate/trig routings. All you need are 1/4" to whatever's needed for the synth's format cables, and you're set.

-- Lugia

I kept my very old Motu 828 MKII (no drivers anymore) and now I'm glad I did, as yes I was aware I can daisy chain both of them together via ADAT to increase my system by another 8 in/outs. Long way off that but I did have 'future proofing' in mind when deciding on the 8pre-es.

I wouldn't do that. While you definitely get two balanced outs from that Erica mixer, if you're sending to that interface directly, you're far better off going 1/4" TRS - XLR-M. That ensures that your signals stay in a balanced circuit from the modular to the 8pre, which should help with noise and maintaining the same level at the 8pre's inputs.

Good interface choice, also...it's a snap to go from 8 channels to 24 via the ADAT lightpipe connections. Just make sure your lightpipe-connected interfaces are ALSO DC-coupled.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the advice. The Motu choice was a happy accident, used them in the past, and recently bought the 8pre-es before looking at getting into modular, so lucked out with the whole DC thing :)

Cheers
TSG

Hi fam,

I've designed my first simple rack (non generative) and I'm asking for opinions on anything I'm missing in terms of signal chain. I've set up something similar in VCV so I'm fairly certain I have everything I need to start off with.

I have a keystep pro arriving soon and I want to patch the outputs of the Erica directly into my Motu 8pre ES and then into my DAW. I'm mainly interested in taking source signals and running it into interesting filters and then into distortion/wavefolders etc. I'll use EQ, FX, comp/lim in the box. The main thing I want to check based on my research is that as the outputs on the Erica are balanced, all I need is just a 6.3 to 1/4 TRS cable for my audio outs?

Cheers
The Sound Gardxn
https://www.thesoundgardxn.com

ModularGrid Rack