With a DC coupled audio interface with MULTIPLE OUTPUTS, you can use spare outputs to drive your modular synth gear and use the others for normal audio. The issue you'll run into with the audio interface is the range of voltages that it can reproduce.
-- Ronin1973

I was a bit suspicious about this but RME states this about the Fireface UCX II:

Voltage Ranges
Line Out 1-6, unbalanced (mono jack), unloaded:
+19 dBu: +9.5 V, +13 dBu: +4.75 V, +4 dBu: +1.7 V

I think it's pretty solid. I'm informed that modular works at 10 V ranges. Please let me know if I'm wrong about these. Here's the manual (page 43): https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ucx2_e.pdf

Hi, I've been struggling about buying an Expert Sleepers ES-8 or a DC-coupled audio interface in order to send voltage to my modular. I want to buy an RME Fireface UCX-II (https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ucx-ii.html) as I think it's a solid interface and has DC-coupled outputs and I will use it for more things besides modular. I want to send DC signals from Max/MSP to my modular through the RME interface and get the sound out of my modular. I have 6 outputs from the RME interface but I will expand through ADAT in the near future for more DC-coupled outputs. Does that make any sense? If I have a DC-coupled audio interface does it have any sense to buy an ES-8?

Thanks!

Thank you @GarfieldModular! Everyday I understand more things about modular haha, thank you for the long reply. I'll read about some filters en generators, I was hoping to generate these from the 1uO_c and Disting mk4. Also, I was thinking that Quadrax would work as an LFO and a second voice, I saw some videos where you can control the oscillators at audio rate. A second VCA is very tempting and the Doepfer A-124 looks veeeery good for the price. I will rethink the case with these things and I will let you know ;)

Thanks @GarfieldModular :)

I'm afraid I'm missing something in my rack. Do you think this looks good for a beginner's rack? Do I have everything in order to get something working? Do you have any other suggestions in terms of modules? I think I will buy a bigger case though, thanks for the suggestion!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi @GarfieldModular!

That track is finished but I want to discover some new sounds haha. I want to learn more about modular and I think these projects in Max are a big motivation for me at the moment. I think I can afford 2000-3000 euros and have a nice modular system for 2 years or so. Sounds too crazy?

Thanks for your reply @Lugia

First thing I would suggest: remove the ES-8 and go with an outboard interface. Any DC-coupled audio interface works, and I and a couple of others here use the "obsolete" MOTU 828mkii as that.
-- Lugia

I was thinking the same, I have an RME-Fireface UCX II but I thought that the ES-8 would let me record and manipulate at least 8 channels separately instead of the stereo output of the rack.

If this is supposed to interface with a Max patch, it's awfully limited. And a lot of that is directly attributable to trying to use too small a cab for the build.
-- Lugia

ModularGrid Rack

I have this other rack idea, I don't have too much money to spend on a gigantic Eurorack case but I think I can learn a lot with a case like this for a year or so. I want to process my snare drum in real-time with a modular and Max, using percussion modules that will blend and activate with the snare triggering through Max. This kind of stuff but with a modular approach:

Hi!

I'm new to modular synthesizers and I'm deeply in love with it. I'm into Max/MSP and algorithmic synthesis and I want to adventure in this world. I'd like to get more into it but have very little knowledge so far. Does this rack look good? Am I missing something? I'm trying to achieve some sort of probabilistic sequencer with the possibility to implement some patches from Max/MSP through the Expert Sleepers ES-8. Would you replace something? Would you recommend something else? There are some redundant modules? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack