Wow, thank you so much @Chace and @JimHowell1970. This really does help me. At first, I'm going to analyze what @JimHowell1970 tells me. I think it's true that Shapeshifter has a lot of complexity, although wavetable synthesis is something I want to study in detail. But Plaits is a good starting point too, and highly versatile. The important thing for me is going to be maintaining the balance between a versatile system and the initial investment in modules. I will tell you about my progress and doubts.
Thanks again.

I've spent some time studying how does it works a modular system based on sustractive synthesis. Understand the basics components through VCV rack has been a part of my time too.

So, in my unexperience perspective, the main problem is to choose the right modules to create a eurorack system oriented to the music the I want to get.
Because there're a lot of offer, brands and modules doing several functions at the same time, I mean, not just working as a simple VCA o EG, for example.
Some of them, gather a bunch of fuctions that I don't know if these fits well, probably not. And that's my problem.

Using the Mantis case to house the modules, and with a more or less clear idea about the sound I want to achieve. What would be your suggestions keeping this in mind: sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities?

Thanks a lot!

Hi there!
I want to use Mantis from TipTop to build my first rack. My idea is getting some kind of sound closer to Andy Stott's music, but open to other styles too (ambient, dub, electro). So my approach is this. Suggestions are welcome. And sorry if I missed any important module or feature totally required. Thank you!

Thread: First Try

Thanks y'all for your advices.
The truth is that I am still quite lost / overwhelmed by the amount of information in the form of videos, reviews, articles and stuff like that. I know that these questions tend to be quite recurrent, and the most forum veterans, they will be tired of answering.

I chose a 104HP system, thanks to a Perfect Circuit video where Sarah Relaid recommended starting with a small system, and I started with that idea in mind. As you mention, in the long run, the investment of money will be much higher due to the lack of space and the poor decision of the modules acquired.

In the current scenario, and given my little experience, I consider the following:
Start with a semi-modular system where the options I was considering are,
Make Noise O-Coast / O-Ctrl - Mother32 / DFAM / Subharmonicon.

Other options are, as Lugia suggests, is to get a B2600 and gain experience, to later, and with better knowledge, move to a really coherent Eurorack system in terms of modules and orientation of the sound that I'm looking for.

Do you think that is a good option start with a semi-modular system?

Thanks again!

Thread: First Try

Hi there!
After spending a few weeks reading Patch&Tweak I've decide to start to build my first Eurorack.
Something oriented to Ambient (what else is new!).
I know what many of pro users here are gonna tell me, I should waste my money on TipTop Mantis,
or Doepfer case, build something bigger, and save a 30% of my new build to enlarge.
I'm looking for something playable without wasting a lot of money, and I think it could be possible with this approach.
But I'm a new here, and every comment of you would help me to start off on the right foot.

Thanks !!!

alt text