The Moogs aren't in the Eurorack cab? Good!

I actually got them custom side panels so they can sit flush with the rack. And even that cost less than the HP space they'd take if put into the cab.

This is how I would approach this, of course...but to me, this seems like a very solid, capable, and comprehensive build.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the input, Lugia! There are couple of new modules to me, have to read up on those. I got a combination of fever + terrible shoulder pain, so researching modules is a great way to focus on something as I try to nurse myself back to the land of the living.

I usually check here, Wigglehunt and a local forum for used modules. Used Kinks just seems to be elusive, but maybe I'll get one from Spain soon...

Elevator Sound - iirc they are opening up shop in Spain next week
-- JimHowell1970

Oh, thanks for the tip! I try to avoid ordering outside EU because in addition to paying customs I also have to pay to the local post system "for handling" (even if it'd be a courier company delivering my package)... Surprisingly they came up with this new scheme after it was declared that all packages outside the EU have to go through customs even if there'd be no taxes to be paid...

first thing I'd add would be an end of channel mixer, with enough channels to accommodate a bit of expansion...

I haven't just seen the one that makes me go "yeah, this is it!". Once Ferry comes back to stock I could get a Hyrlo to go with it, but it doesn't have panning. Doepfer A-138s would be able to pan mono signals at a very good price, but it has linear level knobs...

not sure about the double O&C though!

I got the the other O&C as a part of a bigger deal and it was so reasonably priced I'll easily get my money back if I want to sell it. I am running the stock firmware on one and Hemispheres on the other and it has been fun learning both firmwares without having the flash the module.

your dixie II+, rubicon and a waveshaper could form a single complex oscillator

That is actually my plan with them! I shall complete the trio with Bifold eventually.

hope all this helps - have fun!
-- JimHowell1970

It sure does help! Thanks! And I am having so much fun already! The Squid feels so great already and I haven't even tried to sample CVs with it yet. I'll keep an eye out for the modules you mentioned. Links+Kinks would be a nice package, but I have not seen Kinks for sale locally or in EU in while (or I am just browsing the wrong used modules markets).

Hi!

First thank you all for advice I got from this community. You are the best.

I have started to build my modular synth and now I am looking for further advice how to expand from here. I got some modules from locals who were emptying their racks and this is where I am at the moment:
ModularGrid Rack

The case is 9U 125 HP. I measured it with modules and it really is 125 HP wide. I own DFAM and Subharmonicon, so I put them there kinda as their own row, but they live outside the case on the table. From my other synth hobbies I also got Torso T-1 that can output either gates or CVs, six channels in total. Its main output forte is midi, so with a Mutant Brain or similar I could have access to all the sixteen channels, but I have managed just fine with Pam's + Crow + uO_c.

I want to focus on deep techno/house/minimal, but the case seems large enough that it could have some ambient elements as well for more relaxing sessions.

This is what I've been thinking:

Filters/Effects:
MUM M8 (to complete that Akai feel of the Squid)
Blades
Beads

Sources:
A dedicated kick module (it would help keeping the beat together when changing banks on the Squid during performance—even though I like the effect from how it asynchronously loads the new bank)

Modulation/Utilities:
Quadrax + Qx
expanders for Squid & Pam

Controls/Mixing:
Ferry (I got a Specular Tempus pedal that I'd love to use here)
Planar 2 (I want to try performing with a joystick at least)
Jumble Henge (this is also kinda of a filter, but also a mixer—combining this, Planar 2 and some VCAs might be interesting!)
I might also need something to bring it all together (unless it is the Jumble Henge), I've been using the quad VCA as my mixer for now.

Any comments or tips on the module selection? What further modulation sources and utilities should I look to add? Sample & hold comes to mind at least.

I'd also appreciate any and all advice on ambient builds and also how to layout the case efficiently. I've read Lugia's excellent "up-left, down-right" signal flow post, but with my patching experience the correct layout is still hard to visualise. For now I have just been using "these seem to go together" approach.

Thanks for the case tips!

Arjan from 2 Many Synths is currently making some custom synth side panels for me. He also makes eurorack cases, so I'll see what options he has to offer as well.

I am quite accustomed to lugging stuff to gigs. I play drums and percussion in a classical orchestra and some pieces require TONS of stuff to play all the drum scores a composer has written. And you can't just have all that equipment on the floor during the performance as a certain kind of pomp and circumstance is usually required, so you'll haul all sorts of tables and drum stands to the concert hall as well.

Making electronic music is more for my personal enjoyment, but if it ever comes to performing modular synth gigs, I will get a specific case for that job and I can put the modules required for the performance there. So ideally I'd have two cases: one for a fixed setup at home and one that is designed for mobility and quick setup at gigs.

You might consider Instruo Ts-l
-- plragde

I played with the Instruo stuff on VCV Rack and I feel happy with this plan:
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for the replies!

— the Quadrax expander is a good value of $s and HP, I would recommend finding space for that
-- nickgreenberg

I was looking at that earlier and I was already able to find space for it.

the 2 Mixups you might be able to find an improved alternative. How many voices total do you plan to run simultaneously?
-- nickgreenberg

Hyrlo + Ferry suggested by plragde look like great alternatives! I own a great reverb (Specular Tempus), so being able to use that with my modules is ace.

personally I would want a bit more oscillator options in a rack like this. A complex oscillator, Intellijel Shapeshifter, something along those lines
-- nickgreenberg

I had Generate 3 in my 2nd iteration, but I was thinking might be too much to handle. Instruo neóni was something I was looking at as well, but I have to do bit more research.

I'm not sure that the sound of Chainsaw fits with the kind of music you listed in your original post.
-- plragde

Yeah, it's more of a trance sound I'd guess. But the drones it can make sound lovely.

by the way, pitch CV is the only reason to have Link 2, otherwise cheaper stackables or stars suffice
-- plragde

That's the only reason I included it, but I am removing it for the 4th iteration so I can get the Quadrax expander in. Also I learned that 1v/oct inputs on Chainsaw (if I stick with it) normalise down, and for paraphony I could drive it from the Mutant Brain.

My experience was that my design changed not only several times before I bought my first module, but also as I started acquiring modules and learning about them. Think about the initial purchases and how they might best inform your future choices.
-- plragde

I expect my filled-up rack to be something completely different than I had designed, but it is nice to have some kind of a plan. I'm going to get modulation/utilities first and expand from there.

Here is my 3rd iteration:
ModularGrid Rack

I'd appreciate any feedback especially on the layout. I tried to organise the modules in a way that made sense in my head, but at this point it is mostly theorycrafting and might not make the most sense during actual operation of the synth. So any and all tips are welcome.

I felt like I did not want to mess with samples and I found about Blck_Noir so that replaced Bitbox. I read some mixed things about it, but I'll have plenty of time to research the drum section while Model:Cycles plays nice FM drums for me.

Start with a dual filter, then. Something like the Intellijel Morgasmatron, which can work as a stereo VCF but which ALSO can work as two separate VCFs. You can also use this as a "mixer" to go from two sources to a post-filtered "sum" output. This is what I would suggest, as these filters have plenty of different modes as well as separate modulation paths...which, again, you can apply to BOTH filters if desired.

-- Lugia

Thanks again for the advice, Lugia.

This sometimes feels like a hardware version of Magic: The Gathering. The longer you play, the more different cards/modules you know about. And there are a lot of them. Surprisingly the prices are about the same as well if you want the good stuff.

The one thing I don't see is any sort of filter.
-- mog00

DFAM, Subharmonicon and Manis have built-in filters, so I think I can work with those before I have a more refined taste on what I want in a filter. And if I get the Bitbox, it has a built-in filter for the samples as well.

My tip for filling the remaining hp is to fill it with blank panels until you get to know the modules you have. As soon as you reach for a function that isn't available, that's the next module you should buy.
-- farkas

That is a good tip! I was just trying to see what the filled-to-the-brim case would look like. I plan to get Maths, Øchd and VCAs + attenuverters first and grow the synth from there as needs arise. I really enjoy the DFAM, so some modulation will allow me to get more out of it.

This is where I am at now with planning a Mantis-sized case:
ModularGrid Rack

I put the Bitbox there to mark Ronin1973's suggestion to start with sampler. Anything obvious that I have forgot or done wrong and any tips toward filling the remaining hp?

Thanks for the advice, Lugia. I'll try to come up with one crammed Mantis to see how things would look when starting out.

Having individual modules that play one voice of percussion tends to get expensive in terms of real estate (case HP) and cost ($$).
A sample playback module might be something worth having especially in the beginning.
-- Ronin1973

That's a good point and therefore I feel it might be best to start with continuing to use the Model:Cycles to generate most of the percussion. Later on I'm going to have more insight on what modules to buy to get the sounds I want and also what to look for in a sampler module.

Hi ModularGrid people,

My current setup that I enjoy playing with is the following:
- Torso T-1
- Elektron Model:Cycles
- Moog DFAM
- Moog Subharmonicon

I am looking to build an Eurorack system that would first complement the Moog semimodulars I have and eventually be a standalone system as well.

I would like to explore two avenues of music:
- deep/minimal techno, so think of solid kicks, nice hi-hats, hypnotic percussion loops, and rolling bass lines
- some kind of nasty electronic version of Indian shruti box and percussion, so think drones, noise percussion, clicky sounds, vortex of reverb, and polyrhythms

Starting out is the most difficult thing, but I think first I need some utilities to get more out of the Moogs. And before that I need a case! I browsed the forums and it seems regarding the first case good advise is "go big or go home". I'm prepared to invest into a proper case right from the start that would have space to house my final system (it's never really done though, is it?).

This is the part where I need advice from you experienced modular system designers: considering my musical goals, how much space would a system like that require? It would be nice to be able to move it to jams and such, so I am thinking if everything necessary could fit into something like 9U 84/104hp? (not counting the Moog semimodulars, they can stay in their cases)

I listed some modules below I did consider to obtain if I were to get started by myself, but I thought it makes so much sense to ask for advice first before I sacrifice my coinage to the gods of the Eurorack.

You can also see that in order to have a standalone system I lack voices, percussion, filters, additional utilities, sequencer, mixer, and who knows (well, you do) what else. I appreciate any and all advice regarding those! If I were to name some names, regarding the sounds I have been intrigued by: Dinky's Taiko, Rings, Plaits, Mangrove, Manis Iteritas, Basimilus Iteritas Alter, and 2hp Hat.

After I get the case, what would be the best way to go about building first the complementary and then the standalone system?

ModularGrid Rack

Thoughts on modules (from left to right):

Maths
I guess Maths is never a bad thing to invest in?

Crow
I own Norns, so this would let me integrate the two ecosystems. I'd see this being among the first modules I get because I can program it to play a role of a module I do not (yet) have.

Countour 1
For some reason I like the layout of this module. But if I am going to get Maths, maybe I should be looking into something like Quadrax instead?

Mimetic Digitalis
This just seems fun. I can see how that is both a good and bad argument at a same times. There are probably better sequencers out there and I also already own the T-1 and can sequence from that (and both DFAM and Subharmonicon have sequencers too), but it feels this module cold lead into some "happy accidents".

Lapsus Os
Attenuators/attenuverters seems like to good things to have and I like how this one has two outputs per channel so I could use it to control modulations to eight destinations if I'd so desire.

Pamela's New Workout
One thing about the Moog semimodulars is that they operate at 1 PPQN while the T-1 can only go as low as 4 on the sync outputs. A clock divider would do the job here, but Pam's seems to be one of the de facto modules to stuff into a rack and I could feed it 24 PPQN and have it divide the clock for the Moogs. And since I want to eventually grow the rack to also function as a standalone system, Pam's seems to be a good master clock in that realm.

Rnd Step
This feels like a nice utility to have. I like how you can also use it as a noise source if you trigger it fast enough. I am enjoying making noise percussion with DFAM, so I can see myself enjoying making similar things with this one.

Øchd
This was actually the module that got me interested in expanding my setup more to the Eurorack realm. Eight sources of modulation would keep my DFAM sound moving.

Mutes
To me this feels like a buffered mult with benefits.

Veils
Quad VCA seems like a good thing to have and I've seen this one being recommended on the forums.

Transmit 2
Eventually I need a way to output sound from my system. I picked this module because of the XLR outputs, option for stereo in/out, and separate headphone output.