I'm amazed by how helpful everyone here is. Thank you very much.

quadratt is a quad attenuator - not a vca - veils is an excellent choice btw - not only is it actually a voltage controlled amplifier - most vcas are technically voltage controlled attenuators (in that their maximum gain is 1) - it has so much potential gain that it can be used to amplify external signals up to modular levels...

The recent revision of Veils is currently unavailable (a worldwide chip shortage is affecting the industry and others as well), but fresh supplies are expected in the next few months.

Very helpful. Particularly for handling external signals which is something I'd like to do eventually.

I really think you're going to want a filter.

Wasp seems like a good choice. I've also been interested in Three Sisters. I'm guessing this is a one-or-the-other sort of thing at this stage?

Hot damn...OK, here's what I cooked up

This is incredibly nice of you, thanks so much for putting this together.

OK...this got upped by me into a 7U Intellijel Performance cab, because trying to do what you wanted here definitely requires more space.

I'm convinced I need more space lol. Looking at a 9U Doepfer A-100 as I like the look and don't expect this to ever leave my studio. I need to spend some time studying at the individual modules you've included but thank you so much for laying them out. I suspect I'll be back with questions :)

Data has a lot of added features, but you can only use one of them at a time (with the exception of fixed voltages, which you can use with other modes). So if you're using it as a clock, you have to stop doing that to use the oscilloscope, and then what you want to look at might be gone.

I somehow have not come upon this information. Really helpful to know, thank you.

Quadrax is a newer version of Quadra and is also very useful, though it takes some study to grasp the added features. You can pretty much use it like Quadra soon after installation, ignoring the more complicated stuff. That's also true for a more complicated oscillator (and I don't think Dixie II+ is much more complicated than STO). You don't have to use FM or flip sync until you want to. (And Data helps when you do.)

Super helpful as well. I'll read some more on these.

Appreciate the reply. It's nice to have feedback as I'm kind of making this up based on youtube videos and a history of signal processing in JavaScript.

Couple of followups, if you don't mind:

I agree that Data is educational and useful (I have one myself for those reasons) but you can't really afford the space. I would suggest Pam's New Workout, which gives you clocks and a whole lot more.

If I were to upgrade to a larger case, would you still suggest Pam's New Workout instead of Data? I've been under the impression that I would need to buy a clock - probably PNW - eventually but thought for my early explorations Data would get me where I'm going.

Quadrax instead of Quadra.

Is this a functionality suggestion, or am I misunderstanding what I'm going to get out of the Quadra?

I wouldn't choose Plaits and STO but you know the sound you're looking for. Maybe consider Dixie II+ instead of STO.

My thought is to have a fairly basic oscillator just so I can better understand what I'm doing. Would a Dixie II+ accomplish that? (What I really want Akemie's Castle but think I need to earn my way to that...)

Edit: you're going to need VCAs if you want to use those envelopes to shape sounds.

I had Veils in here but I pulled it out thinking the 1U Quadratt up top would handle things. Am I misunderstanding? Guessing that would be the justification for the bigger case.

Thanks!

I'm curious about getting into modular and want to build a beginner system that allows me to make simple, melodic loops in the style of Gia Margaret or Green-House; if I were really lucky, I'd also be able to layer some drone-y textures underneath.

I'm set on Make Noise's René for its pattern generation and Mordax's Data for its educational aspects, but the rest of my system is basically a question mark. Picture below, but to explain my rationale:

Likely Want
Clock Div | Create interesting timings out of the Data's clock
Plaits | Catchall digital oscillator for melodic patterns
STO | Analog oscillator for exploring drones and getting a better understanding of wave construction
Quadra | Build envelops for Plaits and STO
1U Logic Gates | Add some interesting probabilistic stuff
Quadratt | Mixing down sources

Maybe
Just Friends | Possible envelope builder and filter to add texture to STO output
W/ | Basic tape loop

system

Does this accomplish what I'm hoping to? Are there some super useful functions I'm not thinking about? I suspect I'll need to move to a larger system eventually, but to begin I want to really understand my tools and this seems like a minimal setup that allows me to do that?

Thanks!