1. why buy the doepfer quad vca and then replace with veils? - just buy veils!
  2. do you really need the output module? - probably not - if you are going to play live you might want one, but then probably a balanced one - if not often they are unnecessary, or can be replaced with passive attenuators - this may differ depending on where you live and how good your mains power is...
  3. more utility modules would probably be better - I like to think (very loosely):

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

which generally gives you best bang for the buck - ie more variety (in patching)/less money
-- JimHowell1970

1. Makes sense
  2. No output module it is to start with, I can add it when I find the need for it
  3. Yea, more utility would probable be better. I did some quick searching and found the 3x Mia and the WMD/SSF Toolbox. Both seemed like good utility modules.

Do you have any recommendations? Regardless, I shall look into it more though, and thank you for the reply!

Big modules and a small case. You might run into issues.

You mentioned Euclidean rhythms. I believe Pam's New Workout has that going for it as well. You can get full-blown sequencers that do Euclidean like the Westlich Performer. That would give you the ability to save your set-up. The Westlich can also be controlled externally via a Novation Launchpad. Which might be something nice as you could mount the LaunchPad within your drum kit for better control.

If space isn't an issue, you may want to check out Tiptop Audio's Trigger Riot. For pitches, you might like Noise Engineerings Mimetic Digitalis. It's compact and can do four channels of CV information. The sequencer steps through 16 positions but is set up via a 4x4 grid that can take triggers to reset, or move the position down or to the right.

You can also add more complexity to your rhythms by incorporating some sort of logic module (a comparator).
-- Ronin1973

Yea, big modules could be a problem. I plan to build the system over time, so the possibility to add another Mantis case is always there.
- I had already been eyeing Pam's new workout, would you use Pam's or Euclidean circles v2 if you had to choose?
- The Westlich seems a little out of reach at the moment, something I might revisit in the future when the need arises
- Both the Trigger Riot and the Mimetic Digitalis looked sweet, I will definitely research them and add the to the list of considerations.

Thanks for the input

Hey, for the last months I have been doing a lot of research into modular and decided to start dipping my toes. So far that has been in the form of Ripplemaker and VCV, and I am starting to get a hold of what works and doesn't, so I would like some thoughts/opinions/critique of my idea for a first build.

My goal with modular is to create pitched rhythms with cool sounds that I can then play drums on top of. I also want the system to have a element of randomness to it, to create interesting and moving sounds and I want the system to be used as a foundation, or a generator, for songs and drum parts.
This means that I am not looking to create any drum samples or drum sequences with traditional sounds (read hi-hat, snare, kick) rather I am after new textures that I can put my acoustic drums on top of, something that I can play to and with, and also spark creativity, both on the drums and on the modular system.

So far I have concluded the following:
- I am planning to build in a Tiptop Mantis case
- I do not want to include any MIDI support
- I want to be able to create polyrythms/polymeters
- Euclidean rhythm modules is something I want to include
- I am drawn to the Buchla sound, and plan on getting the Buchla modules released by Tiptop and want to plan ahead and integrate the 258t and 281t when they release
- I want to start with the essential modules, make a barebones system and expand from there

So, with that said, here is what I got planned for starters:
ModularGrid Rack

and this is the direction I am planning to go in:
ModularGrid Rack

Any opinions/tips/critique is welcome before I take the plunge. I have bought nothing yet and plan to be patient until I got a clear beginning plan.

Looking forward to responses, and thanks!

Peace