@Lugia - thank you for the suggestions. At this stage I want to experiment with guitar as an input source, but am not sure how much I am going to really want to do that. My primary input is MIDI via external controller at this point. If I end up really getting into guitar synthesis I will definitely check out higher quality preamps. At this time, the 1U buff mult is the only mult on my board, so I am reticent to remove it. I intend to add a 2HP mult to each of the main rows as well, but those are lower priority right now. The 1U row is a utility row for me -- saves taking up 3U space. I might get rid of the Steppy depending on what sequencing route I end up going down. The USB jack tile is very important to me because it allows me to power my MIDI controllers without worrying about yet another brick.

@AcgNrg - good advice and suggestions; as above it will depend on how deep I end up going down the guitar synthesis path.

@JimHowell1970 - yes, I have had the ADDAC floor control utility module on my 'planned' board for a while.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions! Modular is proving to be fascinating as well as frustrating, and this community is really helpful.

Here is an updated current rig (with the sole exception of the Morgasmatron) -- constantly and quickly evolving. :)

ModularGrid Rack

Many thanks to all for your input and advice! Happy New Year!

@toodee - thanks for the additional Wasp info!

@M01C - I've been looking at the Doepfler stuff... good suggestions (is the MN FXDF retired?), though leaning to dual VCF for first filter.

@sacguy71 - I like Erica Synths stuff... the Polivoks looks good, but I think I am looking for a dual VCF unit as the first thing. Not sure this is the best idea, but it's what I'm leaning toward.

@gil909 - I bought the MIDI unit and have been using with my Akai Force (which has CV) and also Arturia MiniLab MkII and OP-1 (which don't). But I think educationally-speaking, I want to learn how to generate entirely within the modular rack itself. I can always fall back on those tools (and sell off whatever sequencers I end up not jelling with).

@Zeta_fxn - thanks for the feedback! I was up late a couple nights ago and ended up impulse-purchasing a Mordax Data. :) It arrived today and I can already see the utility. Being able to visualize signals as well as hear them (when I audible) is extremely helpful as I learn the basics.

Morpheus is great. But I would not consider it for educational purposes. For educational purposes, besides a "normal" MMF, I would recommend a fixed filterbank.
-- M01C

Are there any specific ones you'd recommend?

Rossum Morpheus Z Plane filter and IME Bionic Lester are super awesome filters that do tons of things. I highly recommend them.
For a basic filter, the Doepfer Wasp is great filter than can self oscillate and get wild or be tamed down. Filters are loads of fun.
-- sacguy71

Thanks -- I appreciate the suggestions!

I own a Morgasmatron. It's a bit expensive. But you get two multi-mode filters that can act independently or as one cohesive unit. So you'll get a lot out of it. It's my go-to, bread & butter filter. As you progress, you may add more filters with different characteristics. But those characteristics are nuances if you're just getting into Eurorack or synthesis. In other words, you'll probably need some time to appreciate the differences.

Looking at your choice of sequencer, you might run into some issues. Steppy is great. But it only handles triggers and gates. So you may either want to add a second sequencer like a Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis... or replace the Steppy with something else that does both (there are endless possibilities in this category).

If you like the way the Steppy works then the Mimetic is a good choice. But you might have to think really hard, watch some videos, and read some manuals to make sure you like the workflow.

-- Ronin1973

Thanks for the info -- I have been waffling between the Morgasmatron and the Blades. I think getting one dual VCF for 'bread and butter' filtering is a good idea to start with. I can always add specialty filters individually later.

My inexperience is clear with regard to sequencing. I don't know how much Pam's and Steppy will do for me, nor do I know really how they will interact with Maths. I am definitely open to the Digitalis and others (I've also been looking at the Varigates), but think I need to walk before I run there. :)

Happy New Year!

ive played a few. i wasnt a big fan of the intellijel uvcf i had, but all the others have sounded good.
i wasnt fond of the control scheme of the lxd or the z2040, but they were both easy on the ears.
the doepfer lpg has a mean preamp and sick resonance and a little pricetag.
filters are fun modules to play manually so id look for one with a nice layout and cool features.
i remember really wanting voltage control of resonance, and feeling like i miss it when i play a filter without kt, but i cant remember ever using it a whole lot ;_;
a modulars a very personal thing so do some window shopping on youtube , figure out if you want low pass or state variable, 12 dB or 24 dB, &c
-- moremagic

Thanks for this input!

If you have guitar effects pedals/stompboxes, there are modules that allow you to use those in your modular setup as well. I don't play guitar but since one of my builds is a Rackbrute 3U (small footprint), I got the Bastl Hendrikson which will allow me to use external stompbox (plural when I get a Electro-Harmonix Tri Parallel Mixer, which will let me connect up to 3 external pedals).
Hendrikson is discontinued but ALM also makes one called ALM006 - S.B.G...just something to consider since you play guitar and may have some effect pedals...or this would give you another reason to buy one :)
-- jb61264

Thanks -- yes, a later purchase is likely to be a floor control or one of the ones you mentioned. I don't want to start too complicate -- so initially just want to focus on the modular stuff by itself.

there are a load of these modules - not just the bastl and alm - doepfer, ime, etc etc
some pedals don't need them - moogerfoogers are generally ok with modular levels and my strymon mobius works fine with them - if you need a bit of a boost to get back in to the modular, some vcas (veils, for example) work perfectly well
one thing to note with guitar pedals is they often don't work that well with bass frequencies
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks! I am planning an Ears for boosting guitar signals into the modular system.

Hey Canyllyr

I would get a basic multimode filter until you know more of what you really want.
as you seem to like intellijel that Polaris or uvcf filter might be a good choice
-- pestilent
Thank you for the suggestions! I am not tied to Intellijel specifically.

you didnt want a filter or anything dedicated to audio processing ? i hope youve got stackcables or something; otherwise youlll need mults sooner or later. its not a bad rack but it just kinda feels like all that modulations got nowhere to go
-- moremagic

I absolutely do want filters, but just don't know enough about them to make a decision. Are there any you'd recommend as good overall filter modules? Would Morgasmatron be a good choice?

ModularGrid Rack

My goals are: 1. modular synthesis education (experimentation and learning), 2. ambient lead and pad sounds / textures, 3. rhythmic melodies, 4. guitar signal processing. Besides self-contained sounds/patterns, I intend to also connect a MIDI keyboard to play modular patches.

The rack above includes only modules I own (or are already in-transit to me). I don't intend to purchase anything else until I have a basic understanding of how these can work together. I expect modules to be swapped out for others as I learn. My futures purchase list (which is entirely hypothetical right now) includes:

EDIT: Adjusted priorities based on input.
0. 2x 2U buff mults
1. Intellijel Morgasmatron
2. MI Ears
3. MI Plaits
4. Intellijel Dual ADSR

Any advice is greatly appreciated!