Thread: Thoughts?

Hmmm...OK, I went off on this, and I think I've got a better solution AND a rationale for removing the Model D.
ModularGrid Rack
In this version, I have the two cabs side-by-side, mainly to show the division of labor between the two cabs. These could just as easily be on "top" of each other, though, although the left cab should probably be the one on the bottom if this is done.

LEFT TOP: P/S, Black Sequencer, and then the Voltage Block WITH the Varigate 4+ that serves as its memory, controller, etc. After that is a Xaoc Bytom, a multichannel OR + gate/trig distributor...very useful in situations such as this. The last bit there is a XODES bidirectional 4-1 sequential switch, positioned so that it's adjacent to the "voicing" row in the right cab.

LEFT BOTTOM: Pam's expander and Pam's...expander was put on the left to minimize "outside" cables getting confused with patchcords. Then the DOT trigger sequencer, and after it are some basic clock modifiers...a dual pulse delay and a two-channel probabilistic pulse skipper. These support the Boolean logic module, a Frequency Central Deep Thought dual Boolean gate.

If you're wondering what the Boolean logic is for, here's an explanation: Boolean logic uses specific conditional gates which output a gate pulse when certain conditions are met. For example, if two incoming gate signals overlap, Boolean logic can obtain new gates via either an AND (when both inputs are 'high' this outputs a gate), OR (when only one gate is supposed to be "high"...having both or neither inputs hot = nothing) and so on. With a decent Boolean module and some modules to screw with the timing pulses, you can have even MORE clocking or weird conditional states with which to drive all of the sequencers...or anything else that wants a gate!

Anyway, after that are the two Metamorphs, and then I added a Tenderfoot Quad Quantizer for quantizing the sequencers that don't have internal quantization...or to just quantize modulation signals, which can be a really beautiful sound when something like an LFO on sawtooth gets quantized into ascending tessalations.

RIGHT TOP: Voice row. P/S first, then a Ladik dual lag for portamento, etc. Then Plaits...and then, some fun! The two next modules are Klavis Twin Waves mkiis...which are dual wavetable VCOs with internal quantization plus random capabilities, which gives you a total of five (or potentially six with the AUX out on the Plaits) oscillators in this version. Veils goes after that to offer CV control over (most of) the oscillator outputs; outputs that it DOESN'T have space for, though, are easily repurposed as audio-frequency modulators. After that, you've got a dual lowpass gate, Make Noise's LxD, then a way more interesting and complex VCF from Dave Rossum that offers changeable slopes, improved resonance control, sweepable filter types, and so on; this is pretty much perfect as a singular VCF in this sort of build. And at the end is a 4-in, 2-out Tesseract Tex-Mix setup which gives you a VCA input, two FX sends, and panning control across the four inputs, and the output section has the master level, headphone preamp, and I/O for the two FX sends and two stereo FX returns. Got hipped to the Tex-Mix by Jim...and when space is key, it actually is one of the smaller VCA-equipped performance mixers out there.

RIGHT BOTTOM: Modulation, mostly. Batumi (with Poti expander) first, then the ultraversatileness that IS the Maths. After that, you'll notice a Frap 321 and a Happy Nerding 3xVCA...these modules are there specifically to tamper with and alter modulation signals in a large variety of methods, allowing you to derive even MORE (and potentially screwier!) signals from just a few modulation generators. And speaking of those, there's a Quadrax/Qx combo next...the Qx really rips the lid off of the Quadrax by bringing the EOR and EOF signals out, and then these can be used to fire other EGs in the Quadrax; fact is, you could turn this one module, with the use of the Qx, into a cascading AR envelope set with successive EOR -> next TRIG patches which ALSO has CV over the attack and/or release...in short, a totally batshit insane waveform generator! Then the Zadar/Nin is next for "normal" envelope generation...and of course, there's loads of sources to trigger those, ergo the Nin's presence in here. The Dual FX is next (which is perfect for the Tex-Mix's FX bussing: 2 mono sends, 2 stereo returns). And that last sliver is a quad level adjuster, which takes synth-levels down to line-levels. Two, natch, get used for the Tex-Mix outs, which leaves two others to be used as "isolated" outs for a leadline, etc.

So...loads more complex, but majorly improved. Some of the initial modules did get bumped here so that other, better solutions could be pursued...which is also the rationale for pulling the Model D out. It's a good synth, to be sure, but THIS is where you could conceivably get to once it's gone.
-- Lugia

This is really wonderful and I’m grateful that you took the time to make this for me. You’re awesome! I will definitely look into these modules and see which I can afford to add to my rack.

Also this all is indeed a bit too complex for me right now and as you know I’m still a beginner and learning. However what you showed me is a good way for me to get an idea of what I’ll need in the future as you said. It’ll eventually happen. Just need to figure out my workflow and how I usually use my set up.

I’m definitely going to look into that Tex Mix module and NIN expander for the Zadar for now. I’ll get a couple more buff mults, a matrix mixer probably, some attenuator/attenuvertors, slew limiter, and another filter if I get the Polaris so I can use that as a phaser if I want to. I know I got myself into this modular mess and it’s not looking good for my wallet, but I’m still trying to keep costs somewhat low.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this and explain everything.

Well, for starters, it's not an audio mixer...but this should explain what's actually going on...

So, you have four inputs which go "across" to the four pots. Now, if you enable the DC offset jumper, you'll have DC offsets on whichever horizontal row isn't connected to a signal via the bottom pots. This lets you set up three (one of them is for the offset) 1-out/3-in mixers which can add that CV to another CV.

Let's say you want to use it with a sequencer. So, what you'd do is to split the CV coming out of the sequencer's 1V/8va output into three identical signals via a mult. You'll have the same signal on inputs 1-3, and row 4 is your offsets. Then, after also setting the matrix mixer in bipolar mode, you'll have four different output channels with the sequencer out PLUS whatever offset you've dialed in. Couple that with a 4-in/1-out sequential switch, and you can then step through matrix outs 1-4 and let the DC offsets be used to transpose whatever pitch CV destination is desired. The nice thing about using this in bipolar mode is that you can also subtract voltages, so if you suddenly need a BIG pitch change either up or down from the sequencer's output, that's easily done.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. Could you please explain what a DC offset is like im a 5 year old lol?

yeah i have no idea what you said, but very interesting lmao. :P

I personally like my Erica Dual FX. This is the only FX module I’ve owned so I don’t have anything to compare it to or suggest something better. It’s worth checking out, though!

Forgive my ignorance, I’m a beginner. I’ve tried my best to research this online, youtube, and the Patch & Tweak book, but there is very little info on this (or perhaps I’m not searching correctly). I’m interested in the Doepfer A-138m Matrix Mixer module and I would like to know how this specific module is used.

• I understand that it has an audio input and output for each of the four channels, but what are knob functions for A, B, C, D?
  • What does unipolar and bipolar mean?
  • How can I utilize it in a patch with 2 separate sequencers? What will it do? I noticed people patching it with sequencers so that’s why i ask, otherwise I have no idea.
  • What is the purpose of a CV mixer and what are different ways it can be used?

If you have any videos or links I could check out as well for more info, I’d appreciate it.

Thread: Thoughts?

So I’ve managed to buy a second case which gave me a chance to rearrange some stuff in my first case. You’ll probably be put off by the Model D in the second rack because of the space it’s taking up, but this is the setup that works for me and I’ll stick with it for now. I know a lot of people utilizing their model d this way and I think it’ll be a good way for me to avoid buying more modules for the time being. I can utilize the case it came in with other modules if I really need to or just sell it. I haven’t installed the modules in the case yet - I want to make sure I have a solid plan first. You’ll notice that i have a lot of sequencers and that’s because I like utilizing different sequencers for different patches….so I planned everything making sure nothing is redundant.

The only modules I DON’T own yet are the Hysteria oscillators, Intellijel Quad VCA, and Polaris. What are your thoughts on the Polaris filter? Also, what kind of module do i need to add glide in my sequences? Is a slew module what I’m looking for?

If you have any suggestions regarding placement of the modules, please let me know. Also would be grateful to know your thoughts on what other modules I could add to this.

Grateful for your time!

First Rack

Second Rack

First Rack

Second Rack

Thanks everyone for the replies. I’ll definitely check out your suggestions.
I ordered the Zadar envelope and bought the ALM Tangle Quartet for now (heard it’s very clean) until I get my hands on a Intellijel Quad VCA or Veils.

I’ll definitely look deeper into Maths, but I always disliked the almost illegible font - i guess that’s probably why I’ve steered away from it for so long. I hope I can find a Grayscale version/faceplate of it. Are there any other versions of Maths you recommend (if any)?

I’ve been looking at the Intellijel Dual ADSR, Malekko Quad Envelope, and XAOC Zadar for EG. I’m leaning more towards the Zadar or Quad Envelope because of their somewhat smaller sizes and more envelopes. Which one would you prefer personally?

As for VCA’s, what’s your thoughts on the Intellijel Quad VCA and ALM Tangle Quartet?

Curious to know what you use as well.

This looks like a great idea. Probably something I’d do as well in the future. What case would you be adding these to?

My thoughts:

1. take DFAM out of the rack it wastes way too much precious space
  2. get a larger rack like 9u at the minimum to give room to expand
  3. Add more utilities! Things like VCAs, CV mixer, matrix mixer, logic, envelopes, LFOs for modulation and so forth.
  4. Try free VCV rack software to build test racks for free and learn.
  5. Get the excellent book Patch & Tweak it is great book and reference for modular.
    -- sacguy71

Thank you for your advice. I’ve replied to JimHowell1970 on how I would use each module and why I prefer to keep it in despite it wasting rack space. As I mentioned, I’d like to consolidate everything to a smaller portable rack so I can use for live gigs. This rack and a drum machine is the goal to just keep it simple for now before I start my second more serious rack in a bigger case.

Utilities are a must I know, but as you can see the DFAM has it’s own VCA/filter/envelopes and the Plaits/BIA also have their own built in VCA which is fine for me for now.

I do own patch and tweak and have been practicing on VCV. ;) Great advice!

Erica Synths Link probably a better (well, cheaper and less HP) option than 3 X Outs. You could potentially also lose the A-138 in favour of a VCA that can serve as a mixer (MI Veils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad VCA). While Pam’s and the Black Sequencer will provide a reasonable amount of modulation sources, Plaits and BIA both really shine with lots of modulation so an LFO (Ochd, Batumi) or small envelope or function generator (ALM Pip Slope, Joranalogue Contour 1) I reckon would really add to your enjoyment of those sound sources. If you’re bringing everything into a DAW you’ll get much better effects with VSTs than with the Dual FX so would benefit more from a small analogue filter (Bastl Ikarie, MI Ripples) shaping your sounds in a way that’s much harder to replicate in software.

As with everything, we all have different preferences so ultimately go with whatever sings to you :)
-- wont

Thanks so much for this! I’ll definitely check all your recommendations out. I’ll most likely lose the the A-138 soon, and you’re right I could get a VCA and use it as a mixer as well - that makes perfect sense. These are all great options you mentioned - there’s just so many to choose from that have better bang for buck. I’m looking for modules with more than one function.

Between the Ochd and Batumi - which one do you prefer? I was also thinking about adding the Vermona FourMulator later to a second rack as it has sample and hold. The Kermit is another option as well, but any thoughts on that? Patch and Tweak book recommended it for the built in VCA. For now, do you think the LFO on PAM’s will suffice for modulating Plaits and BIA?

I’ll check the filters you mentioned. I was thinking of adding a Joranalogue Filter 8. Any thoughts on that? It self oscillates so I can use it as another sound source if I want. I would need VCA’s and Envelopes to make use of that feature right?

I just did another post on here replying to JimHowell1970 about how i’ll likely patch each module. Would be grateful to know what you think as well.

T> rack wart advert wastes space

semi takes up too much space and costs too much to house in eurorack when it already has it's own case

black sequencer is overkill to some extent unless this is just a stepping stone to a much larger set up - ie at least 1 more voice

Pams is a bit redundant with black sequencer

no vcas? not enough support modules (utilities) in general... definitely not enough mixing...

unable to tell what the 3 modules between the dual fx and the dnipro dot are - please link to your actual public rack (copy and paste the url) not just a jpg - jpgs suck - actual links help us help you!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by rack wart advert? Are you referring to the rack brute power unit?

The DFAM does take space in the rack - I know, but I do prefer it in there for now as I want to consolidate everything into a small portable set up to take with me for live gigs, etc. I’d like to just travel with my rack and a drum machine.

I already own the Black Sequencer so it’s the one i’m currently using. Yes, this is a stepping stone to a bigger set up which I’ll gradually build over time. I do love how you can randomly make sequences with just 2 buttons - that’s one of the reasons I bought it (will come in handy for a live set).

I also already own the Pams and was thinking about using it as an LFO or perhaps clock the Dot and the Black Sequencer and then route Dot rhythms using the trigger outs into the Advance Clock on the DFAM to advance the steps on the built in sequencer.

No VCA’s because I’m using the internal VCA on the DFAM, Plaits, and BIA. I will definitely add in VCA’s and some envelopes in the future though, that’s for sure! I’m still learning about the different modules I need.

The 3 modules between Dual FX and Dot are Befaco Out V3 as I mentioned so I can track the 3 sound sources (DFAM, Plaits, BIA) or others separately into my DAW or mixer. The Doepfer mixer is there if I want to mix two or more sound sources and patch that into the Dual FX. It’s also a CV mixer too so I can make use of that later with my second rack.

Again, this is just a small set up for now which will be expanded into a larger set up later with more utility modules, etc. It’s just a stepping stone. Hopefully everything is playable as it is, though, right?

Modules I currently own:
1 Befaco Out V3
1 Erica Synths Black Sequencer
1 ALM Pam’s New Workout
1 Mutable Plaits
1 Erica Synths Dual FX
1 Moog DFAM
1 Doepfer Mult
1 Doepfer A-138 CV and Audio Mixer

Here is a link to my rack. Hopefully it works.

First Rack

I’m currently building my first set up and would like to know your thoughts on it. I’d like to keep it somewhat simple for now trying to make do without VCA’s, EG’s and other utility modules for now until I get a second case - I’ll be triggering the sound source modules by themselves for now. I added 3 Befaco OUT modules at the end of my set up so I can track them in my DAW or a mixer later - is this a good idea or is there a better option? Does everything here look playable and functional for a basic techno set up?

Grateful for your time.

alt text

I’m a big fan of the Dnipro Metamorph and would like something with similar functionalities until they are back in stock - which would probably be a while from now, given they are from Ukraine.

The Metamorph has trigger input which would allow me to advance the sequencer with a trigger rhythms coming from my Dnipro Dot. The only sequencer I know of is the Mimetic Digitalis by Noise Engineering if im not mistaken. Do you have any suggestions?

The goal:

Hi, so I’d like to eventually build a drum rack and wanted to see if it’s possible to track say 8 or more modules individually. Anything out there with multiple outs so I could connect to a mixer or interface?

Grateful for your time!

Love the Black Sequencer it’s powerful and easy to get started. For sequential switch, check out the Hikari Quad switch it’s really good and easy to use. I like using it with a comparator and matrix mixer for creative patching.
-- sacguy71

Thanks so much for the tip. I’m a beginner, would you mind explaining to me what a sequential switch does before I research the module you suggested? I’m a little overwhelmed by all this and need someone to dumb it down for me. I’ve been eyeing matrix mixers but I have no idea what they do. There’s not enough videos on YouTube or maybe I’m not finding the right videos. What’s the purpose of a matrix mixer, what’s the difference between that and a audio/cv mixer?

Yeah I think if that's what you want to do your best bet may be to sell the Black Sequencer and get something like the TipTop Z8000 instead. You may lose certain features but you'll then have multiple sequencers in one module and you may also come away with a few $ in the transaction.
-- adaris

Thanks so much for the tip on the sequencer. I’ll definitely check it out. In the meantime, I’ll add in my Dark Time to see what I can do. Do you by any chance know how he’s using that Matrix Mixer?

I don't have any experience with either the Dot or the Black Sequencer, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks there is just the one clock input on the sequencer, and the channels all run off of divisions or multiplications of that same master clock, so I'm not seeing how you can use two separate channels from the dot to advance channels 1 & 2 separately.
-- adaris

I see. That makes sense. Honestly, don’t laugh, on top of being a noob, I can be dumb, too lol. …but is there a way to like split a clock signal or whatever so that we could somehow work around this? Or would you suggest a secondary sequencer to do what I’m trying to do?

This is basically what I want to do. I do notice he’s using two sequencers together.

Hi there,

So I’m building a somewhat basic setup with my Behringer neutron. I have doepfer A-180-2 Mult, a Doepfer A-138 mixer, Dnipro Dot, and a Black Sequencer.

I’d like to know how to patch my Dnipro Dot channels 1/2 into the channels 1 and 2 on the sequencer. Is this possible? Basically want to sequence/run each oscillator individually, but rhythmically with the Dot so that each step progresses with a trigger from the Dot.

Could you please tell me how I could patch this as I’ve experimented so many ways without any luck.

Grateful for your time!

alt text

I’m a beginner in the world of eurorack hoping to get some advice on my newly acquired setup here. My knowledge of eurorack terminology and the module functions are very low, so please excuse my ignorance.

My goal is to use the neutron and/or another synth like the Behringer Model D as my sound source(s) sequenced by the Black Seq which would be triggered by the Dnipro Dot to play rhythmically. I’ll then want to feed the sound sources into the dual fx for some reverb and delay which I’d then like to output into headphones or my audio interface to record into my DAW.

Let’s say I wanted to sequence osc 1 and osc 2 of the Neutron separately to the Black Seq CV1 and CV2 and basically have channel 1 and 2 of Black Sequencer triggered separately by Dnipro Dot. What would be the best way to go about this? Are there any additional modules needed to achieve this? At the moment, I’m only hearing one or the other triggered by the Dot for some reason. Perhaps I have it patched incorrectly.

If I wanted to sequence the Model D and Neutron, then would I need an audio/cv mixer? I assume I need something to sum the two signals together into one output so I could then patch into FX and then an audio interface module of some sort.

What module would you suggest for tracking into my DAW and listening through headphones? I was looking at something like the Intellijel μJack. Would you suggest any better alternatives?

Grateful for any help I could get!