Thanks again for the feedback and sound advice. Regarding tidbit audio, they are a small company that make passive doodads that I found on Etsy, here’s a link of them at Knobcon 22:

I included the pedal comments to underscore modulation sources to sounds after the rack…but message received.

Cheers!

Thanks Jim… I probably should have mentioned I have 2 korg sq1 sequencers and an additional external mixer. I also have a set of utilities (VCA’s Attenuators, LPG passive multiple, micro mixer) from tid bit audio that float around as needed.
Of coarse I’m trying to be space and cost conscious, and want to get the biggest bang of sonic options for the buck. I can’t be alone in that quest.
For modulation sources. I think there’s a lot of possibilities with ochd, swn, maths, rnd…and I can record modulation to morphagene. The sg1 can also offer modulation as well as the mutable instruments ears clone, Byxa. I also have a berhinger crave cowering nearby, and a couple pedals…microcosm, two stereo loopers and the new boss slice.
But I hear you. More utilities!

Looking for some thoughts on this set up. Mainly using this for sound design and sample manipulation. Anything stand out here that should be reconsidered?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_2105579.jpg

Thread: My maybe

Hi team. I’m looking to get thoughts on this. I want this to be a sample based sound palace. Minimal sources actually generated in this I know. Thinking that a Krog sq1 can act as an external sequencer and clock. Minor modulation / structure with Ochd and 2hp tm. One robust voice with added potential from Mimeophon. Clouds clone and Mimeophon brings the weird…external link to pedals and a lil 4 channel mixer connects to the outside world. Morphagene is the heart of all this with tiptop acting as a supplemental valve. I don’t know if I need the tiptop (though I appreciate Throbbing Gristle a lot)…maybe a filter or something better? I like recording and looping stuff…found sound and vocal bits. Not looking to create highly structured pieces but would like to grab structure when it happens. Anyway…what am I missing, what am I getting wrong…all that.
And thank you.

Thanks again for the time and advice. I see months of deep dives in VCV Rack-Land…incredible place to learn…not to mention a solid tool to create perfectly workmanlike wav files to chop up and repurpose.
Now where did I put that tape recorder…

Appreciate the thoughtful feedback, Jim and Luigia. I think the best thing to do is to take a step back and really learn how modular benefits the overall intent of what I’m trying to accomplish. Very thoughtful feedback and a deep nod to both of you on the problematic practical use of smaller clones to master mods, ergonomics, and fundamental utilities. Overall, I think I need to take a breath and ask what I really want out of all this. As it stands, I want a place to make intricate backdrops for louder stories to be layered on top. what I’m getting at is that I may be asking too little for a world of options and criteria that demands as much as it does from the player. Anyway…I really do appreciate the time you both took to help me rethink this from the start.

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello wizards. I’m looking to jump into building a little setup that will primarily be used for ambient noodling with samples thrown in. I have a microcosm, a few friendly stereo effects pedals, volca drum and Crave to play with outside. I also have a 8 channel mixer and standard audio interface.

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg