I finally got my first modular system a few months ago after spending years playing with software synths on Ableton and VCV rack. I started with the Pittsburgh lifeforms and a 2x84 case and I've added several modules in the meantime. But as I've filled up my case I've made a few missteps (the SCM and 160-2 together do not have the functionality I want from a clock generator and I stupidly bought a Doepfer ADSR that's too deep for my current case) and I want to be very intentional going forward about my gear acquisitions and generally avoid buying stuff that I'll have to sell later.

I like dense, textured techno (Blawan, Shed, Kangding Ray, etc.) but I'm especially inspired by how artists like Barker, Caterina Barbieri and Lorenzo Senni use little-to-no percussion in their compositions, and that's the direction that I want to take my own music. I might eventually complement this system with a DFAM for minimal percussive lines and/or a full-featured drum machine if I decide to go back to 4/4 techno, but I'm not super concerned about that right now.

I don't really anticipate playing live, but I'd like to be able to work on tracks at home with as little overdubbing as possible. Ideally, I'd be able to compose something that is relatively complete without opening my computer and then record it into Ableton to arrange and add final touches. That being said, delay and reverb are crucial to my sound and I think I'll have to rely on VSTs for those until I get a bigger case. I use a beatstep pro as a controller, but I might switch to/add a qunexus for better arpeggios.

Finally, I find software to be frustrating, which is why I made the jump to modular. I can deal with digital controllers like the beatstep and qunexus, but I would strongly prefer to avoid any module with screens/menus/memory/etc.

This is my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

This is my plan to fill up my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

I realized that the QCD does everything I want in a clock (should have got it the first time...) so I'm trying to sell my current clock generators/modulators. Otherwise, this is just filling in the empty space in the case.

This is my ideal setup for my current case:
ModularGrid Rack

I really like the Pittsburgh Lifeforms, but there are several parameters that I wish were CV-controllable and its hard to really dial in a sound without relying a ton on external offset and attenuation. I think this setup keeps everything I like from the lifeforms, strips away the parts I don't use, and adds a really wide sonic palette.

This is my dream case:
ModularGrid Rack

I'm not totally set on any of the additional modules here, but when I get a bigger case I think I generally want to add a complex oscillator, a sequencer, reverb and delay, a looper, and the utilities to tie them all together. I will probably get this case custom made and could, theoretically, get an even larger one, but that starts to feel hard to transport. I kind of wish there was space for a Mordax, but I plan to get a Korg NTS-2, so the Mordax seems extraneous. I'm also not totally satisfied with the outputs; I think it would be really useful to have multiple line outs for multitrack recording, but I'm not sure the best way to do that.

Any and all advice and comments would be appreciated! Thanks much!