upper channel that has 12dB slope and touch of resonance is hard to emulate. i love it for snappy and bright percussion, or some techno-ey sequencer line. but don't use it for classic west coast lpg action. also, you need an amp module (gozinta in my case) to get the best of it. once you can condition the level you are hitting the lpg with, a whole different world opens.

bottom LxD channel is darker, and gentler. kinda similar to my Optomix rev1. except vactrol in mine is little too abrupt, so for classic 292 ring i prefer the Optomix. it is perfect.

another contender i would recommend is Tokyo Gate. it sounds little less clicky and perhaps rounder than Make Noise offerings. it has limited control over resonance - tho one should be aware that introducing it moves it from LPG to Resonant VCF kind of response, i.e. it shortens the ringing.

www.babic.com

i had juno, still have sh101. while juno used IR3R01 chip for its env, and the latter a transistor design, i find them pretty similar in their shape, especially achieving that characteristic Roland "twang" when applied to filter. actually 101 might even be better at it.

there are no envelopes that use that chip, as its unobtanium and used for fixing junos and jup8.

however, there are transistor envs that do SH101, like Frequency Central. think G-Storm might have done some etc. Intellijel is also in that vein, but i dont think it sounds as snappy as FC or 101.

Soundforce is probably doing something similar. its not an actual Juno env inside, no. but all things considered, it does not make any difference. get it if you have HP space and want cv control over everything. otherwise go smaller.

my $0.02

www.babic.com

hi Matteo, here are my favorites in analog domain:

1. BBD i.e. analog delay:

EHX DMM - vintage, warm repeats, classic
    Boss DM-300 - same as above - probably my all time favorite
    Dynacord SRS-56 - dual mono bbd, dark but thick

2. Reverb: Music Thing Spring Reverb - i use medium Accutronic, and large old Hammond tank

3. Flanger: MXR126 Flanger/Doubler - Reticon chip. wide bandwidth, feedback polarity, cv

4. Phase Shifter:

Small Stone - vintage rev2 & 3 - classic sound for deep cosmic levitations
    Phase 100 script logo - classic opto phaser, think gary numan cars, genesis etc

5. Chorus/Ensemble/wow+flutter:

Synthoma Elkorus - original bbds from eminent stringers, triple bbd, two lfo, stereo
    Ibanez BC-9 - double bbd with indiv rate/depth
    Shallow Water - tried one, its on my shopping list

www.babic.com

have to say i prefer analog envelopes, for various reasons.

to start off,

for acoustic, snappy, from sound of hitting wood, to plinking on a porcelan vase, to a small
drum skin percussion, i love Maths. its slopes and the log/lin/exp control are just perfect.
i keep a narrow vca nearby if i want to automate slope change, by self patching (env out into
vca into maths cv ctrl inputs - rise,fall or both)

for classic Rolandish snap/twang in ADSR form, the FC has done well with his X-Envelope.
reportedly designed after the transistor env in SH101. i have a pair and its great they take
little space. however, if you need CV control, then you might look at Befaco or Instruo.
havent tried em tho.

also, in the AD/AR domain, i do like what i am hearing from Delta-V. very punchy. it has
that micro short hold phase, just like minimoog envs. i was looking into getting another
Maths for a while, but now im debating should i add this instead, for little variety sake.

cheers

www.babic.com

Moogah Sem - among the barrage of clones going for this, comparing to my old sems, i feel this is the most faithful and best sounding implementation in euro.

Am Synths am8109- silky, bubbly Roland cascaded ota sound, that came with beginning of the new decade (Jup8, Juno 60,,,). this version has original IR3109.

Livewire Frequensteiner (Synthasystem) and Elby CGS735 (Synthacon) - two Steiner filter variants. vintage, almost archaic tone at times. can be liquidy, characterful, edgy, as well as go dark side of the moon, falling apart when you crank the resonance.

Wiard Borg 1 - MS20 Sallen Key realized with vactrols. works as wonderful slow lpg, and when you move into vcf mode and crank the resonance, Id comes out.. perhaps one of the true classics from the early eurorack era

micro Hadron Collider - dual SVF with distortion and industrial deep in its dna. works great with harvestman osc.

www.babic.com

I had the opportunity to run this module side by side with an original JP8. The character is superbly catched. The ability to drive the module into self-oscillation is a thankfully taken plus. If you want modular access to THE Jupiter sound this VCF is essential.
-- XCenter

+1

i have the Jup8 and AM8109 is incredibly faithful. the character, the liquidy resonance, the silk top end in 12dB mode, its all there.

to add, even if one does not peticularly care for Jup8, in euro context, among the sea of cascaded ota filters, this one is a true standout. only other i've run into that has such beautiful, organic tone is Synthtech E440 and Radical SH1.

www.babic.com

i own this module.   beautiful sound.  similar to 3320 but a tad more acidic. capable of powerful selfoscillation.  not as liquid as 8109, but has drier/focused tone, with exponential envelopes make nice percussive almost wooden tones.

www.babic.com

its DIY at early stage, so i aproximated depth and power consumption, to decrease the error in the totals depth and mA, 

when this module is placed within a the rack.

www.babic.com