Thread: Marketplace

Can we not forbid these kind of douchebags and send them off to Reverb? I am fine with selling rare modules with a markup but shouldn't there be limits?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/offers/view/730642

I just bought a module from @coxinhellstudio and everything worket out smoothly and quite quickly. Good bloke he is.

I am afraid that sharing my personal opinion that I don't see that much use in this feature seems not to be very helpful at first glance as people have different needs and wants and views and so on. Though I'd like to say it anyway for some reasons.

One is, that I find that planing a modular system is way more complicated than planing a 19" rack due to the lack of standards for module sizes, the sometimes cumbersometopic of power consumption and the complextiy of modular systems, like how many VCA's one would need and if there are enough modulation sources than. Ups, no room for oscillators anymore...

A second thought is that I am not sure if people really plan their 19" rack in that way? At least it is easier because devices usually only differ in a minor amount of Heigth Units and mostly are designed as independent entities.

So why do I bother about something I am not interesting in? Basically because I am a bit afraid that it will consume a lot of work that would be better invested in maintaining the current state and my personal impression in other situations was, that when an idea is worded in a community and just a few people love it, things get momentum, things get more and more complicated, like troublesome and expensive to maintain and only a few people are actually using it but of course the majority of people would not participates with their views to prevent sounding negative.

As long as I open racks and suddenly modules are missing which I might find beneath other modules later, I would prefer prioritizing maintance over extension.

Yes, I am sorry about that - I meant silly just in the sense of an unusual development of the price curve.

It just feels so normal to trade and somehow live with folks from the UK that all the changes now have something absurd to them. Even without a political attitude towards the whole topic.

Today I read that Belgium custom officers have confiscated home made meat sandwiches from lorry drivers because meat can not be easily imported anymore. Don't know if that is right or wrong but it surly is a bit absurd.

But this is two ways, right? Not only sales from UK to EU but also if somebody in the EU wants to sell something to someone in the UK? So it works both ways I am afraid :-(

-- GarfieldModular

I don't know how exactly taxes are handled within the Kingdom. But I guess so. Maybe @Kel_ can help out here and clarify that. It still feels a bit silly how trading modules back and forth now would make them become more and more expensive with every new owner in the chain, instead of less.

Unfortuntaley that is not correct. If you buy something from a UK shop that is shipped to the EU you will either not pay VAT but pay a net price to the shop and VAT is applied when the device gets delivered or picked up by you. Or the shop has a EU VAT regristration and you pay VAT directly on purchase which then is passed on to the EU by the shop (usually once a year or quarterly).

If you now buy a used module from the UK the seller most certainly has no VAT regristrtaion and you will have to pay VAT on import. The custom authorities do not care if anyone has already payed any taxes on the item in any country before and the price is now a net price. Though there might be the opportunity to claim an exception if you can prove that this very device has been imported to the UK when it still was under the authority of Europe and VAT has already been payed. But I don't think so as it would open a can of worms. I guess that with the segregation all british things count as exported now and are britisch again.

You can also apply for a VAT regristration if you are doing any business you get payed for. Then the VAT you are adding on your invoices will be substracted from the VAT you have payed on your (business related) purchases and you are allowed to pay net prices in shops who are ofering this like Schneidersladen. By the way that would also be the price Brits would pay now on european goods because they also have to pay VAT to their own sovereign now.

The Christmess deal is about trade and "real" business. It does not cover trading single used devices between private persons. Therefore it might have passages on how VAT regristations are handled but it does not cover your duty as a citizen to pay VAT to your state on all goods imported by you. Having all that centrally regulated was the main point of the EU and what made the british people feel uncomfortable.

On a side note this also applies when you fly to London for vacancies and come back wearing a tweet jacket that you did not wear before. It is just more difficult to control than it is when your tweat jacket comes in a parcel and DHL can inform the autorities that you will get somethine fromthe UK that probably is a good as it is sent in a parcel.

20 EUR is the threshold then for import VAT. Below that you don't have to pay it. There is also a threshold for custom duties. I think it is 120 EUR.

To sum it up the main point is that VAT is a tax you pay to your country for financing your infrastructure. They won't abandon it in favor of a foreign country.

Great - thanks a lot! Or, not great, but thank you for implementing it!

Hi Zucker and Kel_,

Zucker: Import VAT will be applied on everything above 20 EUR - so you have to add about 20 % to all prices.

May I ask where you get this from? As far as my knowledge goes, there had been made a "Christmas Eve" deal between the EU and the UK meaning that the trading stays under the same conditions, meaning again that there will be no VAT charges between EU countries and the UK.

So I am a bit puzzled by this, has the deal been changed?

Thank you and kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

The Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the EU and the UK covers (besides a lot of other things like transportation, police stuff and to whom the fish in the oceans belong if not to them selves) only international trade, no national taxes. It was aggreed on what can be traded between both civilisations and that generally no custum duties shall be applied on goods manufactured within each area.

Value Added Tax is a tax, not a duty. It is collected by the european states on basically everything that has a value and can be traded. It is added when you buy something within the Union or when something enters the Union for the first time. It does not matter then if it was purchased abroad or if it is a gift or a prize you won. If something is send abroad for a repair job and then sent back VAT is added to the value of the actual work done, even when it was not payed for.

So no, the deal has not be changed. It just does not cover this topic as it is not a bilateral problem. On a side note, I think the actual custom duty rate for synth stuff is abot 3 % for the EU - the main "issue" is import VAT and is important two distinguish both.

Ah, don't know - I think voter turnout was higher than with any british election before and I would also count not voting as not caring and beeing fine with any outcome, especially in this situation. That's what leaves me confident to say that it's what the majority voted for.

As far as I know it was only possible to state if the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union. Either or and pretty straight forward. So what else did they thought they voted for?

And it did not seem to be particulary difficult to acquire information about what this actually means if one wanted to. It's not that it was not obvious that nigel farage is a fascist dickhead. And being lied to is not the whole story as everyone had the choice whom they wanted to listen to.

So yes, the majority voted for following nationalism, throwing the Polish out of the country and making Brittania great again. Of course that is terrible for all other people and making this a referendum is a totally stupid if not ethically immoral idea, especially when one does it out of merely tactical considerations. But I guess this is not the place to discuss these things.

Unfortunately for eyeryone a UK category would make sense now. Of course one could still try to build a network with Irish modular freaks to get around this...

Hi Kel_,

If I read and understand the news papers correctly (reading in Germany as well as in the Netherlands) then with this Brexit deal both ways (UK to EU and EU to UK) there will no import taxes apply (free good traffic, i.e. as it currently is). But then again with how many pages, 1200 or 1600 pages thick contract, who knows...

I guess time will tell :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Import VAT will be applied on everything above 20 EUR - so you have to add about 20 % to all prices. That will be a problem of course as VAT was already figured in the new price of any modules bought pre Brexit and buying from the UK would now result in basically paying the new price for European citizens. What is the VAT rate for Brittain now? In the US often there is no VAT applied so buying fomr there still makes sense if it is worth the shipping. But from the UK it seems that one would have to pay double VAT - one for the Queen and one for Europe...

Apart from that shipping is still a bit cumbersome. Also the DHL rate has increased from 14 EUR to 28 EUR and custom forms have to be filled in and attached to the parcel - just as with all other Non-European countries.

So I think it would really make sense to give the UK a seperate category. As sad and stupid this shit is. At least it's what the majority of the people did vote for on several occasions.

I just reveived a module I bought from @lleicamun and I am very happy with it, also about how smooth everythink went - nice communication, quick shipping and so, and what a very nice chap he is. Then the very same happened to me again with @kamilkorolczuk

I bought a module from @scotchedegg

Quick shipping, safe packaging and great communication - everything is fine!

Buying something from @tron23 was super nice! :)

Just bought something from @sebastopol and everything is fine.

I bought a module from @Stolzer and it was a pleasure. Nice contact and it quickly arrived in great condition as promised.

I made some quite nice experiences by selling things to @zergon, @Draazith, @wiggler109346 and @dogzstar over the last weeks.