You know you can deactivate all shortcuts by clicking the Kbd Shortcuts button top right on the planner page?

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

That problem is fixed. Thanks for reporting!

the $6,000,000 server!
-- Lugia

Not quite, but close!

Everyone reading this: server is running, we are operational again!
Running on 12 cores and 32GB RAM.

It will help to fund the new faster server we are getting tomorrow Thursday 03.02 , 11.00 CET :)
MG will be offline for couple of hours though..

Offline on Thursday, 11.00 CET

We are going offline on Thursday, 11.00 CET for up to 4 hours.
We are moving to a faster and bigger server!

Multiple systems on one page will not come for several reasons.
But maybe as a workaround you can open two systems in different browser windows and use c und p shortcuts to copy/paste modules from one browser window to the other.

What happens, when you click on the link in the email notification?

Just a reminder that ModularGrid is not the place to discuss politics. The new UK Option is not a political statement.

Thread: Change Log

Users can only rate each other if they have had contact via the ModularGrid messager

You cannot rate random people anymore by accident, you have to send them a message or have received a message from them.

Added United Kingdom as a separate region

UK is not part of EU anymore.

United Kingdom is now a new option in the marketplace selector. All existing UK offers are moved to the new option.
I hope it will work with the Reverb offers too, that needs a couple of hours.

Awesome! I have published it on the Facebook page. Maybe it get's some more attention.
https://www.facebook.com/ModularGrid

Did anybody else have messages disappear from their inbox?
-- talkboxert

There is a bug that might "hide"messages when they appear on the second message page of the pagination.
As a hotfix I have extended the display of messages to 500 per page. Does that help you?

If we could have a "date created" for builds (ie: the date when the build was started with an empty rack) along with the "last modified" date, that would be a big help in going back thru older builds I've got to clear space.
-- Lugia

Sadly we don't store the rack creation date, and I guess it is a bit late to start with it :(
However we have the Rack Id which kind of mimics creation date. I have sorted the racks in descending order by id in the users view https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view
And I have added the modified date to that table, i hope that is a good compromise.

@lugia -- I remember a long post you made a while ago called something like "Why you shouldn't get into modular". This should be a sticky in the forum. Does that count as a feature request?
-- the-erc

I have stickied that thread. Happy new year everyone!

Bugfix: upload images in Safari

That is more a Safari bug than a ModularGrid bug, but I have made a walkaround so that it is possible again to upload module, pedal images and user avatars in Safari 14.

We now have the option to disable the shortcuts entirely. Find the button top right where you can enable/disable Popovers, Space Guides, Panel Selector.
Message me, if it is not working for you.

Option to turn off Keyboard Shortcuts

There are some nice keyboard shortcuts like copy, paste, duplicate, etc. in the planner.
But unfortunately users reported issues where the shortcuts interfere with the search form.
We now have the option to disable the shortcuts entirely. Find the button top right where you can enable/disable Popovers, Space Guides, Panel Selector.

Check if you have activated the Space Guide button.

I keep an eye on that Kosmo format and also the AE system. It's quite an effort to create a new format in the planner, so there must be more than just a few people to use it.

The , and . move module functions are quite nice. And copy/paste even works between browser windows so you can plan 2 racks at the same time. But unfortunately there is an unsolve problem with the focus of the search input field that can cause mixed up racks and swear words.

How about that option of disabling all keyboard shortcuts except the copy (Ctrl-C) and past (Ctrl-V) options as the only two?
-- GarfieldModular

I think the option should disable at least all destructive shortcuts. Paste and cut belong to it.
But I am in favour to just disable everything. It bugs me a bit that I never got it to work reliable.

O.k. I look into it.

Clean up the mess!

In the Edit menu on the rack planner page is a new entry called Clean up the mess!.
That function indeed cleans up the mess by deleting all modules that are placed outside of the rack.
It's a requested feature by a heavy user who was tired to delete the modules one by one.

Yo I am no official speaker, but the feature of having multiple frontpanels consolidated into 1 module is already
included on modulargrid funnily enough.

Yes, we have that Panel Selector. It steps through all uploaded panel versions of a module.
Maybe it should be more prominent.

When you upload a new photo it will replace the old one, but the old one still is not lost.
For every upload a new version is added.
Other people who have set their module image to HEAD version (default) will see your newly uploaded image.
HEAD means: always show the newest image.
If they switch to an older version it will stick there, newly uploaded images will not affect their racks.

Is there the possibility of adding a class to the taxonomy of modules, where one module becomes the 'parent' module
-- aarontw

We also have a consolidation feature for modules for moderators, which adds up all ratings, collections, marketplace offers...
But the problem is the image versions of the module that gets consolidated will be lost so consolidation must happen early. It's difficult ...

Builder´s Notes

On the rack builder page there is a new tab menu entry Builders's Notes beside the Comments tab. This is a private text area where you can add and edit notes related to your rack build. Builders's Notes is a Unicorn feature.

Rainbow Cables

The Sketch a Patch section has a new cable color system available: Rainbow
The color of the cables is not defined by length like in the Stackable and Doepfer systems.
Instead the colour is assigned automatically in order one after another in series as you lay them out. 12 colors are available.
This should make it easier to follow complex patches.

but why is this crap allowed, on the other hand?

It's not allowed. I have unlisted the PSU.

When you write a post click on the Emoticons button bottom right near the Submit button.

The database is utf8mb4 that means you can just copy/paste all the 🐶 🐱 🐭 🐨 🐯 🦁 🐷 🐽 😂😭🥺🤣❤️✨😍🙏from the web

for some reason i cant see the reply?
-- Broken-Form

The post was auto flagged as spam for whatever reason. Changed that.

That's the whole request, would be a nice addition. Thank you!
-- troux

What's with those troll faces we have ?

WebP image format

The images in the module browser are now in WebP format. That should decreases file size and load time by more than 30%.
WebP file format is supported in most browsers (Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Edge). Browser that cannot display WebP (Apple Safari) will get jpgs as before.
If everything looks good we will probably also change the modular builder to use WebP images.

Revert module rating

You now can revoke your rating for a module via the link Delete my rating directly on the module detail page.

It looks like the transfer went well!

I am still fighting with some compatibility issues of the new database software but it should be quite stable soon.

I do have one hiccup to report; may or may not be related. I've been using the Pedal section as much as the Eurorack lately but I can't seem to create new pedalboards now. Once I enter the specs and click "Save", I get the message "An internal error has occured".

No doubt you'll get it sorted, just wanted to let you know! Keep up the great work!
-- homeslice1479

Thanks for reporting, should be fixed!
Cheers, Knut

Today 29.06 ModularGrid will move to a new server. I set the site to "read only mode" so people can read data but not write into the database to prevent any data corruption during migration.
IP address will change so it might take up to a day depending on DNS cache to see the new site.
I try my best to not screw it up. Wish us all luck.

Feature Request: Filter by depth. Certain cases are rather shallow (like skiffs) and it would be nice I could filter out any modules that just can't fit.
-- WesleyM77

As a workaround: you can order by depth.

Hi Modulargrid,

62k active members or 62k sold items on Market place?
-- GarfieldModular

62k members that managed to click on the activation link in the registration mail

62,000 users? That's hardly believable !
-- fredeke

You can see them all here and write them a PM :)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users

Searchable User Messages

You can now search in your private user messages. This feature will be probably used by myself the most.

On ModularGrid we are currently 62.000.

I would recommend a transactional email service like Mandrill, but I understand this is additional expense!!
-- Kel_

Did not know Mandrill, thanks for the hint. Indeed that could become pricey soon.
I am also feeling not comfortable to hand out user email addresses to a third service provider.
Most emails are generated through the "notify me on a new marketplace offer" function. Maybe I limit or just shift this function to Unicorn land, that would cut the email traffic by half.

Hey,
sorry there is still an issue with the email server. It seems the hoster kind of throttles MG emails returning SMTP errors.
We cache outgoing emails so important stuff should not be lost but there can be a serious delay (days) in the transport.
I am on trying to improve the situation.

It has something to do with me not reading notification emails from the provider.

I am working on it. On most browser it should work already again. Sorry that that slipped through :(

A better Panel Selector

Every click on the tiny arrows in the Panel Selector now actually shows a new, different panel version.

In the former approach the system just rotated through every version change of a module data entry, no matter if only a text was changed or in fact a new image was uploaded.

Still seeing some flaky behavior with screenshot functions
-- Lugia

Thanks for reporting, it should work again for now with help from the wonder called "server reboot". I try to find out what the reason for all the trouble is ...

We now have 150Gb more space. Will see how long that goes. It does not sound much but daily backups must still be manageable.
Performance looks good here.

I am seeing slow loading of Racks for the past 24 hours. I am also seeing errors when I attempt to make a screenshot. Is anyone seeing the same issues?
-- studiobysbox

Thanks for reporting.

As for the speed, it's probably yet more Chinese and/or Indonesian spammers trying to get into MG.
-- Lugia

This time the reason is quite simple: the filesystem ran out of space from the million screenshots. Cache files and screenshots can not be generated anymore.
I am looking to free some space or buy more webspace from unicorn money. Maybe we will have a little downtime...

Any chance of being able to swap rows up or down?

We have this function for unicorn users! Find it under Edit -> Swap Rows

How about a hotkey for moving a module up or down a row?

You can hover over a module, press enter and move it with cursor keys.

-- DJMaytag

My feature request: Separate the non-pedals from the Pedals section and create a dedicated section for standalone semi-modular or otherwise patchable hardware.
-- sibilant

I hear you, situation is not ideal. But I am not sure that another patchable hardware universe will improve the situation.
I think many of those Strymon BigSky pedals are placed on tables beside synth gear so there will be a lot of duplicates in the pedal and patchable hardware universe. But maybe it will come, followed by the 19" universe ;)

Reminder to myself: we need a private note section...

Show Raters

The User Ratings are no more anonymous. Users wanted to have more transparency who is rating them up or down.
That also might help to easier find out vote abuse.
See the usernames of raters in the User Rating box on the User detail pages.

However, I just ordered an intellijel 7U, and I mocked up some images for a SynthAccess guitar module that should fit in the 1U space, but my image is getting cropped incorrectly. I designed for 44HP an 1U. If I edit the custom module to say that it's 48HP, the the height grows, so I must have the proportions right. However, I never see the pixels at the edges. It's like there's a huge inset, even though the proportions are correct.

There are two "standards" for 1U module dimensions. ModularGrid uses the one from Pulplogic.

Can anyone suggest a method for creating a proper 1U image?

You have to add a small vertical padding for 1U modules that follow Intellijels standard.
Crop the module perfectly, read the height and multiply it with 1.082. That is the new height of the canvas. Center the module vertically in the canvas and save as .png, transparency preserved.

See this rack:
ModularGrid Rack

-- rsdio