Thanks @ParanormalPatroler for all your engagement and doing! These are good points as always. When I understand that right there should be some kind of automatic duplicate detection on upload. That is a good idea.
You already suggested a merge mechanism for modules, I still have that in mind. And also a way to flip panel images without uploading new images, like we have in the pedal section.

I can not act as fast as I like to do and there are several issues behind the scene which are mostly invisible but have to be addressed with priority like the recent spam attacks. I am most interested in a clean database and a way to purge the module data will come.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

I am trying to "streamline" the site from time to time and clean up functions which might have become redundant.

I thought nobody uses the shopping list, because of the spec sheet, which displays quite the same info, except the highly unreliable money column.

The shopping list is still there, but hidden:

Open one of your racks and change the URL in the browser adressbar from

modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/[your Rack Id]
to
modulargrid.net/e/racks/shopping_list/[your Rack Id]

Still not sure if they are idiots or geniuses. There is at least one guy in Jakarta who thinks that modular users also are the target group for illegal abortion. He puts really a lot effort into letting us know.

ModularGrid now has an IP blocker, so I hope the situation will improve over time..

Thanks, we have to fight a lot with spam recently. Problem is, it's not a bot but real people from Indonesia, so they are hard to filter.

It's already there.
Checkbox is called Show other/unknown Modules

There was a second Liquidus which was uploaded by another user. I have unlisted that.

If you have uploaded them yourself click on Me: Brother Theo in top navigation. There should be a delete button next to your submitted modules. It only works, if those modules are not yet assigned to racks, though.

Thread: Change Log

Fulltext search

That first input field in the search that used to search for module names and in description now also searches full text.

You cannot catch the cat

Users had issues with the cat overlaying over info and add buttons. The cat will now run away in a sinusoidal movement with inverted acceleration when you hover over it.

Top right in the module browser is a link Price in $.

Clown gefrühstückt!

Thread: Request

Firstly, I general access the site from my iPhone 7+. I can't for the life of me figure out how to rate the modules I own using this interface. It would be good to make the ratings more visible as well.

Rating is not working on mobile devices. I have the feeling when I build that feature mobile phones were tiny. Have to reevaluate :)

Second, could we get written reviews too? Ratings are useful, but written reviews give context to the rating. We don't all create the same music, and we all have different preferences for UI, menu diving etc.

It is possible already in theory. On a module page you can Post in a new thread. What you put there will be displayed on the (underused) MG forum but also on the module detail page itself! This would be a perfect place for reviews but it is always difficult to get these things startet.

You have to enter the correct width of the pedal. Everything else will be resized automatically.

We don't have much discussions going on here, so I am not sure if it is a good idea to add even more sections.

How about you post in Modular Discussions? If we get more activity about related gear we will add a new section an move the posts.

I just cleaned up.
-- ParanormalPatroler

Just wow and thank you!

I already DELETED 30+ tags of some notorious modules ;)

I'm using Firefox 56.0.1 (64-bit). I just clicked on the "Frequency Divider" tag (no other search options) and I got (in order of appearance): Compare 2 (Comparator, Dual/Stereo, Frequency Divider, Logic), Divide & Conquer ..
-- ParanormalPatroler

Did not see your first message: The order you have is "Newest". The default order wasn't switched when clicking on a tag. That should be fixed by now.
However you can still change the sort orders any time, if people want the old representation with "most popular first" it is possible.

Followup: ok, it works when using the drop-down. Just checked with Frequency Divider again and it works just fine. It does not work when clicking on a tag though, just so you know. My offer still stands if you need to test.
-- ParanormalPatroler

Ah, those little blue tag links in the module short description box? They should work now too.

Ok, this is interesting. A few thoughts. I think the penalty could work, but it may take some time. For example, I sorted by LFO. Batumi, which is clearly an LFO has 4 tags and shows up way, way down on the page (Atlantis showed up first until I removed all tags but Synth Voice). This could prompt manufacturers to use less tags so that placement is higher on the page. The solution implemented sort of works, but not for items that are tagged heavily.

Atlantis showed up first, when you selected LFO? This is wrong, maybe there is a bug in the code :(

The PRIMARY FUNCTION could be the new database field. It would mean that many modules would not have that particular field filled out for a while, but eventually we'd get there.

I see. I am not totally against it, but I know there would be a lot to change with the version system ...

Side note: I am not pushing this agenda, I am just having a conversation. I work in a filed where we bounce ideas off each other all day long, so I am not married to any of my ideas, just trying to spur creative thinking.
-- dysonant

It's completely fine, we need ideas to improve.

Is it working though? 'Cause I'm searching based on tag only and I get mixed number of tags on the results.

It should work. Which browser are you using, which function/tag are you looking for?

I would assume the ones with just that one tag would appear first, no?

Yes, that is the idea.

I am experimenting to implement a ranking for the results. If someone is explicitly searching by function the modules with less attached functions will be prioritized in the ranking. That means there will be a penalty in the listing position for the swiss army knife and overtagged modules.

We have that update now. What do you think?

Sorry for the confusion. You cannot add new modules to a large rack with expired unicorn account.
I will change that in the description.

There was a time when one could select a module function, such as "VCA", and be presented with list of modules that served that function.

It's hard to get this right, because it is not only a technical problem but also a question of definition.
I think we have 2 problems here:

1. modules are overtagged

We have a best practice for that @ParanormalPatroler already explained:

the question that tagging needs to answer to is whether a module can be used as X or not. If the answer is yes, then the tag should/could be applied.

e.g. if a module is labeled as a VCA it has to have input and output jacks to be used as a VCA in conjunction with other modules. If there is somewhere a VCA burried in the module you cannot access it is not right to tag it as a VCA. It is a community effort to get the tags right.

2. modules are tagged correctly but the result is still confusing/unexpected.

If you have a synthvoice with accessible patchpoints it is o.k. to tag that module as VCA.
Still people looking for just a VCA don't want to have a synthvoice listed at the first places in their result.

One easy and immediate solution to this problem would be to limit the tag option down to 2-3 tags at maximum

Sure that would work too, it would be the easiest and quickest solution, but it would feel almost like cheating ;)
Btw. we already have a max limit.

Damn, I had a detailed and great response queued and clicked submit to be presented with a login.

Sorry!

I wonder if a broader category like "Modulation" with sub feature filters that one could select multiple feature from would work?

I understand the idea but I am not very much into the category/subcategory topographies. It gets academic and inconsistent very quick. Beginners will be overwhelmed, the UI will be difficult and the SQL queries will be slow/complex. If it is possible to keep it flat and simple I am in for that.

I am experimenting to implement a ranking for the results. If someone is explicitly searching by function the modules with less attached functions will be prioritized in the ranking. That means there will be a penalty in the listing position for the swiss army knife and overtagged modules.
So searching for VCA will get you the simple building blocks first.
I think that might be a good thing because manufacturers have to think about the main function of their module.

The main idea is to not add any new functionality but to just magically get better results.

When you edit a module and upload a new photo, will that replace the existing panel photo, or add an additional one? There are a few I think I could upload, but I didn't want to replace anything that's currently out there.

When you upload a new photo it will replace the old one, but the old one still is not lost.
For every upload a new version is added.
Other people who have set their module image to HEAD version (default) will see your newly uploaded image.
HEAD means: always show the newest image.
If they switch to an older version it will stick there, newly uploaded images will not affect their racks.

On a related note, why are there so many alternate panel photos that are exactly the same image?

When you click on those arrow buttons technically you browse through the versions.
The Panel Selector function was added to ModularGrid lately and is more a hack to make different images possible. It's a compromise.

-- js213

Knut

Rack Lock

There is a new button Rack Lock besides the Popover and Space Guides button.
If that button is activated it just locks your rack from further edits. That is useful for mobile devices where you could easily break your layouts when swiping over your rack.
The state of the lock is globally saved in the database for all of your racks.

He has since removed all of his modules.

I have send him a message he did not answer so I have removed his module offers.

Thread: Marketplace

@christophefur is now posting modules very under priced and claiming he has cancer.

-- hawkfuzz

I don't know about his condition but I have messaged him because some of you have doubts if those offers are legit.
I did not get an answer so I have deleted the offers.
Knut

small change of the search function

If you search for something in a thread only the posts containing the search term are shown.
The old behaviour showed every post and just highlighted the search term.

I have improved the search function. If you search for a user in this thread only the posts containing the username are shown. The old behaviour showed every post and just highlighted the search term. It's easier now to find out if a user is mentioned.

Thread: Boss DD-5

I have uploaded a better one.

You cannot delete modules when they are already assigned to racks.

I put it to the todo list ...

@frozenkore

would it be possible to keep a collection of modules?

We have that feature already for unicorn users.
1. In the module browser there is a suitcase icon on every module, next, where you can rate modules. Click there to add or remove a module to your collection.
2. Under the search form is a tab navigation, which reads All Modules and My Modules. Click My Modules to see your module collection. You can search in your collection for VCO or name, etc. just like you would search normally.
3. You can easily add all modules of one of your racks to your collection. Navigate to your rack and click the dropdown menu top left edit and then Add all to My Modules

Thread: Thanks

Please post in the Good Traders on the Marketplace thread.

This has to be some kind of guitar players joke. I have unlisted them.

It looks ok here. Try to clear your browser cache.
The problem I see: that is no Eurorack device.
It has no CV and I doubt you can mount it in a case with the connections on top.

Edit: I see, there is an interface module for CV ...

Would it possible to add a filter on "Module Depth"?

You know you can sort by Depth?
Click twice to change sort direction. Valid workaround?

Thread: Marketplace

Hi,

Could you please advice sellers to name the location a little more detailed. Maybe in the default classified description text as a default header (like condition and shipping).

good idea, I have added that.

Also:
The good traders thread is well intended but do you really expect people to go thru all the posts to find the one guy?

You can search the thread, search input field top right.

If you are serious about that, you need a feedback form on each member profile and a way to determine if a member is a allowed to review the other. Maybe if you add a field for buyers name when the seller clicks the "sold" button?
-- lpzw_modules

I know it's not very good like it is and needs improvment. The rating can not be only done by the seller, it has to work in both directions. Maybe something like a friend system where you can see if a guy is connected to others? I know some people have a strong dislike for everything facebookish so it has to be thought out well ;)

Full Width layout

The rack browser and module browser now have a full width layout which adapts to the browser window size. I think it makes sense to better use the space on bigger screens.

Small changes to the search form

• Advanced Search is gone. I think nobody used the standard search anyway.
  • Small improvements of the search form layout (it is now a flexbox)

I feel your pain. At least the modules with discontinued in the title are correctly tagged as discontinued.
To prevent the reverts in the future I have put a red alert label to discontinued modules in the module browser. Maybe that will help.

Image handling optimized

• Images are generated with better encoding
  • HiDPI/Retina Images are only served to HiDPI capable devices

Everything should feel a tad snappier now.

Tags don't overlap anymore, sorry it took so long ...

No more overlapping tags

Finally changed the CSS so that the function tags don't overlap other info in the module browser anymore.

Endless Scroll in the Racks browser

The rack browser works now the same way like the module browser. That is you can just scroll down to see every of the 80.000 public Euro racks.

Thread: Pedalgrid

What are the specs for the image you'd need? I might be able to provide one at some point.

Just a big jpg > 1500px

John,

It WOULD be great though if you could just add a "DIY Black" option, or add a color option to the DIY Plywood one, which ever is easier.
-- JohnLRice

it is now possible to just not select any pedalboard and drop the pedals direct on the floor. We have the neutral and concrete floor. Is that enough? Else you have to provide a "black power coated metal" royalty free hires background :)

I love pedalgrid! Only thing that bothers me is I don't want to choose a pedal board (or even DIY plywood) - just put them directly on a floor of choice. Still would like to choose the size for the surface I put them on (like the DIY option).
-- KNYST

We have that now!

1. allow the addition of "outside modules" i found the planner to be TOTALLY useless because it didn't include modules i'm interested in

You can upload modules yourself

particularly the metasonix rk2 xs-vca (tube VCA) which i consider essential.

That module is listed here

1. add HP as a search term. when building racks, it gets harder & harder to finish them, especially when there's an odd number of HP available. searching for 1hp yields SOME results, but i'm positive not ALL. it should not only be a search term that helps people fill all available space, but it should be linkable to module types eg. 9hp filter (if any exist)

It already works that way. You can search for 9HP filters.

1. you need more categories.[...]

It has it's pro and cons. We try to keep the function list lean. That is more useful for beginners

1. offer module color as a search filter. i can't stand the look of mismatched racks and would add a row just for black modules and fill that up with whatever before building a mismatched

that is a good point. But it's one thing to provide a search filter and an other thing to set the color value in the 4000+ modules. Still I put this on my dev list.

1. fix your forum tex editor that can only count to 2. this is idea #6 even if the text editor hides it. apparently, when you create a second paragraph in a numbered item, the forum IGNORES YOUR numbering and resets the list to 0. i had to merge paragraphs to fix what your text editor broke

I see, but it is not easy to fix. This is a Markdown editor, similar as on Reddit or Github. I am using a 3rd party PHP module for the parsing. For (PARAGRAPH) hit enter twice or add two spaces at the end of the line.

1. speaking of hiding... DON'T HIDE MODULE REVIEWS!!! i look at a module that supposedly has 47 reviews, but go to the page... nope... no reviews. i haven't tried it since joining, but it should be public info seeing you advertise it. i despise such bait and switching

That is a misunderstanding. You can rate a module with 1 to 5 stars. Those 47 reviews are actual user votes for the specific module.

just put them directly on a floor of choice. Still would like to choose the size for the surface I put them on (like the DIY option).
-- KNYST

Good idea, this will come.

Please increase the max. allowed eurorack case hp width. I have a case that's two rows of 200hp each and can't add it because the max. width seems to be 168hp atm ;)
-- BigElbowski

Let me introduce the premium account to you: Unicorn Account

I noticed a bit of a bug.

A bug indeed. That should be fixed now.
Thanks for reporting, John!

Pedalgrid

Added pedals and stompboxes to the supported ModularGrid formats. The planner is very basic but may work good enough.
There are nearly 500 pedals already, I hope it will grow.

Advanced Pedal Uploader

The pedal uploader is capable to cut white background out of JPGs and convert them to transparent PNGs.

Support for transparent PNGs

Transparency of modules and pedals is preserved after upload.

Cleaned up CSS

Cleaned up the CSS files which were cluttered with hacks to make old browsers work. No support anymore for legacy browsers, it's not worth it.

the pedal becomes quantized and it's very difficult as it forces you to place some pedals half-on and half-off the board.

Thanks for reporting. I have disabled that snap feature for now. Maybe it will come back with an option to turn on/off.
And thanks for helping to upload the pedals!