Inexpensive and loads of fun! Remarkably you can clock you entire modular from it, or it'll take external clock - here's it's clocked by a USTA with some light swing. The bass drum on the other channel comes from an FXAidPro 808 BassDrum transformation of an incoming ADDAC TNetworks kik. What's very cool about the FXAidPro is it takes incoming CV to tune the bassdrum for melodic bass-lines - here it's sequenced by a Rene.

OMG - I'm blown away by your PDF reviews! Incredibly detailed, descriptive & thorough - I'll be sure to pass on some links. Thanks for the comments!

If you're interested in the sound of the E520, this track explores a variety of FX algos

If you're at all curious about the new Xaoc BBD delay "Sarajewo" this is a 'first look' demo based mainly on feedback tones with a more traditional melodic sequence at the end

If you're curious about the sound of the E520 this demo may be helpful:

If you're curious about the sound of the 4MS Ensemble Oscillator this may help

First look at FM on the new E300

First look at this extraordinary oscillator

Many thanks 'napper - the E330 sadly is overshadowed by its bigger brothers, the E352 and the E370 - both great, but considerably more expensive. I think the E330 is the best bargain in Eurorack actually.

A demo of the detune functionality provided by the latest firmware update 1.3

using the detune functionality from the latest firmware update (1.3)

Here's a demo of the polyphonic abilities of the production model of the E370, extensively using the onboard chord table sequencer

A little sample of the production E370 - patch notes on the Soundcloud page

Greetings to Scotland! Love using S&H inserted between FM modulator & carrier - can give very liquid feel to the sound

Thread: Budget Rack

Don't see any MIDI inputs so at the moment the Pressure Points is your only controller. You might want to add a Brains to automate it. For half the price (new) of a Braids, you could get a Synth Tech E330 multi-timbral VCO. Or you could go with a much cheaper bread and butter analog VCO, like a TipTop z3000 or a Intellijel Dixie. Research the Rosie - Makenoise makes great stuff in general, but IIRC not everybody is happy about it. Sure would be nice to have some kind of LFO

Overall, seems a good rack for a start - once you start making music it should be obvious what you need next.

Thread: dragon sound

While it's true that Muff's is a lot more active, people are present here as well...

It's hard to assess a large jumble of modules without any context... what kind of music, what's your experience level w synths, will this be a mostly MIDI setup, are you getting much of this all at once?
Generally all the questions are best answered by the user him/herself - start slow, buy a module or two at a time and then make your next purchase based on what your music needs. Often I think people buy giant systems and then get quickly overwhelmed & frustrated.

The basics looks good - Maths, anti-Osillators, Disting for computer control & special functions, a Pamela's workout, and an O'Tool so you can see what you're doing (the ADDAC dual oscilloscope seems redundant!) Pico oscillators seem a bit stripped down - maybe best to match the Anti-Oscillator ("auntie") with another Richter oscillator ('unkle'), keeping in mind that these Wiard "Griffin" designs are out of production. Circuit Abbey's been having problems lately, so you might have to buy those ADSR's used if available. If you're new to modular, the Control Forge, while often lauded, may just be too complicated for a beginner. You might also want to explore more modern alternatives to the RCD/SCM - maybe just a 4MS Peg instead or a QCD.

On Muff's you'd hear the standard "you can never get enough VCA's!' - you might consider the new Intellijel quad VCA. If you're going 'classic' with the Wiard stuff, you might also want an LPG - like a Wiard Borg or Boogie (both out of production with matching Griffin's, but often available used) or perhaps a Makenoise Optomix.

Just a few ideas - if you just go slow, develop the system organically based on what you really need, you'll probably have a good experience

Love this thing - as sound source, or to add loads of character to anything you input - here's a quick preview

My understanding is that triangle core, say from an Intellijel Rubicon, produces a more accurate text-book sine wave than a sawcore. And that fits right in with the whole 'west-coast'/Buchla aesthetic of starting pure & simple, and adding complexity with a wave-folder. East-coast/Moog style subtractive synthesis prefers a beefy saw wave, chock-full of harmonics, from which you creatively subtract with a filter, getting all kinds of opportunities to sample various filter flavors - so a saw-core oscillator, like a Tiptop z3000, serves that up nicely.

First 'meh' is why take up rack space with a tuner? I use a Korg OT-120 Orchestral tuner and it's been absolutely great (no endorsement of Sweetwater implied):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OT120?adpos=1o1&creative=55397627521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=OT120&gclid=CIX31ovUqtQCFYlKDQod-AYL8w

wave folders are usually reasonably priced- Intellijel uFold works for me, but you might want to check the new Tiptop one besides.

maybe a Maths (or Function) to expand your modulation possibilities - or a Peg, which can also do time-sync'd movement. nice sound your getting w such a compact setup! maybe time to experiment with another oscillator flavor as well. a doepfer sample & hold, inexpensive - great between modulator & FM carrier. optomix for LPG flavors & making your modulation more interesting.

Great system! - can't go wrong with the classic Wiard/Malekko- and results sounds very good - should post some new music too. Wow - and a SyncGen IIs as well - think so many people go for the Expert Sleepers, but I've found it so reliable.

Here's another demo from the prototype/breadboard E370. Says designer Paul Schreiber, "the sounds the breadboard can generate is about 10% of what the final one can do".

The Kickstarter campaign will be launched Feb 2017 - more info at www.synthtech.com :

Given the age of this thread you may already know that this is a V2 of the original BI - 2 hp slimmer, a couple of extra CV inputs for Skin/Liquid (new)/Metal texture selection and Bass/Alto/Treble range. IIRC the knobs are attenuators now, not offsets.

Multi-track demo made from the E370 proto-type:

Here's a demo of the E950 with the E951 looper/expander ( all sounds made with this pair )

This is a multitracked demo featuring the E330 as the sole sound source. It's produced from a proto-type kindly provided by Synthesis Technology

To hear some unprocessed/noFX single track sounds from the piece, check here:

Would definitely suggest visiting the Muffwiggler site if you haven't already, and individually search for information on each unit before making any purchasing decisions. If possible, there's no replacement for visiting a store that sells modular and getting a feel for each piece. Buying blind just means spending a lot unnecessarily, getting frustrated and having to resell stuff you don't really want.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106396 // modular synth basics

You might also want to look up some Raul Pena videos on youTube (Raul's World of Synths) to get started:

Good luck on your journey.

Not sure where you live, but if there's any chance of visiting a store that sells modular, I couldn't recommend that approach enough, even if it means planning a vacation around it. I was turned on to modular serendipitously by a visit to Rough Trade East in London which had a SchneidersLaden demo room in the back. There's absolutely nothing to compare to hands-on experience with a little in-person expertise to help guide you.

If you do the second hand experience - be very careful. Incredibly, even for expensive modules people often just produce non-descriptive lists of gear without photo or condition. You'll want something in good cosmetic condition - if you love the module, you'll be looking at it for a long time, if you re-sell it, you don't want any difficulties making the next buyer unhappy with it's appearance. You may also want to shoot video of your rig, so it's not enough that the module is simply functional.

Take time to do your research, watch a lot of videos and don't buy too much all at once. Check also the service reputations of the makers - hopefully you won't need it, but it's sure frustrating when after buying a buggy module for $500 you discover that the maker isn't returning anyone's email.

... and even if you're not looking specifically for a Make Noise system, the manual Tony Rolando just released makes an excellent modular primer... explains basics like the difference between audio and CV voltage, gate triggers & clocks, as well as introducing the modules of the system, which can also be bought "a la carte."

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/sharedsystemmanual_1.10.pdf

If you're not already familiar with the Muffwiggler's forum, this noobie thread is an excellent place to start:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44345

20% ouch!! Yeah, I started with the Richter oscillator & anti-oscillator (old style Griffins). The idea, I think, is that together that mimic a Buchla complex/dual oscillator much the way as the Makenoise DPO does - an asymetry which is both good and bad. If you want two pitch independent sines, for example, then you're out of luck.One is a saw-core "Unkle", the other tri (the Anti/Auntie) for West coast or East coast sounds respectively. I do recall the the Unkle's 2nd triangle wave has a little tick and IIRC the mk2 might not fully have fixed it - gives you a clicking sounding when doing some phase modulation with the two. The Anti 'Mayhem' wave is crazy fun as sound source & LFO.

If you get the Analog Systems osc - beware this warning (from the schneidersladen site) "Analogue Systems' modules are designed solely for use in cases and cabinets made by Analogue Systems. Through the use of adaptors or adaptor cables, however, it is possible to connect them to Eurorack cases.Should you chose to use an Analogue Systems module in an Eurorack case, please note that the warranties are thus void and the use occurs at your own risk!" Not to deter you from the reportedly rich sound of the AS, you just have to sort your power issues.

I've been lucky to be near a modular dealer - Control - and certainly there's no beating a hands on demo - so even if it requires a small trip to find the nearest modular store, it might be worth it. Also if you have any local modular enthusiasts in the neighborhood, it might be good to do a shout out here, or on the Muffwiggler board- most proud modular owners would be delighted to show off their system to interested on-lookers.

Even so, you may simply have to buy/sell/trade until you find what's right, so don't get too sidetracked over what's the PERFECT oscillator - each has it's own personality & quirks - I'm sure anything on your list will produce good results if you spend enough time with it, even if in the end, you don't keep it as a "forever" module.

I'd guess your 300€ budget ($333.54 USD) should well cover the unit & shipping. Sorry to be a too persistent advocate, and I can't even claim experience with your other selections. The WMD/SSF unit looks great, & I like the octave selection switch, but I don't see any explicit description of it as 'analog' - which may or may not concern you. The z3k also has waveshaping which I've often utilized, and even while analog, holds it's tune VERY well and is ready to work on startup (unlike the otherwise commendable Rubicon which sharpens pitch over the first half-hour plus...) Also the visual tuner is actually damn handy, and speeds workflow - perhaps less of a concern if you're focusing more noise applications etc. The Kilpatrick looks intriguing - particularly the waveshaping/PWM capabilities seem unique... I'd just want to check, as with any module, that other people are happy with it's build quality and customer support.

Good luck with your hunt!

Analogue Haven shows them as in-stock on their web page
http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/z3000mk2/

I've got two z3k's and I'd never part with them

A lot of folks might look past the Cyclebox II towards it's presumed successor, Intellijel's Shapeshifter. But the Cyclebox is capable of extraordinary sounds and has an intuitive & immediate interface and really shouldn't be overlooked. Have a listen - the Cyclebox is the sole sound source in this multi-track production.

Curious if the Tempi would be redundant for someone who already has a QCD/expander - anybody have a demo of Tempi doing a few tricks?

I guess you could refer to sequencing as discrete modulation, steps of defined value executed in order (typically used for pitch) whereas folks often prefer continuous, smooth value changes for modulation - e.g. for flowing changes in timbre / tone color.

To broadly generalize - there are versatile bread 'n butter synths oscillators that output the typical sine, tri, saw, sqr - eg: Doepfer A-110, Tiptop 3000, Intellijel Dixie etc. Saw-core or tri-core implementations will generate slightly different wave shapes (visible on an oscillator) and sound slightly different. On the other end of the spectrum there's the specialty ones that use custom wavetables or specific sound generation algorithms to evoke a singular personality e.g. The Harvestman Piston Honda or Donut, Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteratus, Make Noise Telharmonic. Of course there are also modules somewhere in the middle - familiar wave outputs, but some extra functionality or features: Synthesis Technology`s E 350, Make Noise DPO etc.

I highly recommend reviewing as many videos & sound demos as you can to get a feel for sound & functionality and in particular would recommend visiting a specialty modular store (even if a trip is required) to try the stuff in person.

Do not panic about making exactly the right choice - it may not be clear what you will eventually settle down with until you acquire some experience with modular - and there is a great market for used gear so it is pretty easy to trade towards what will eventually become part of your own personalized instrument.

Don't know where you're located, but certainly if you're anywhere near NYC, I'd recommend visiting Control in Williamsburg Brooklyn (http://www.ctrl-mod.com). They also do mail-order (including used gear), and from my experience they're the absolute best. Plenty of folks use Analogue Haven too. You won't find much a modular selection from Sweetwater - seems mostly Pittsburgh make, and while I've ordered plenty of studio stuff from them, I doubt they have the expertise to guide you towards your first rack.

Be sure to do your research BEFORE you buy - there's also tons of great info on Muffwigglers.com In particular it's good to check on a module maker's track record re: build quality, customer service and general customer satisfaction. Can't speak to buying used gear here, but have done well on Muff's b/s/t section (buy/sell/trade).

Good luck!

Multitrack demos so often obscure the raw sound source - so here are the raw unprocessed samples broken out - no EQ, compression or effects of any kind, followed by a fully (home) produced multitrack composition. All parts are from the Makenoise Telharmonic except the last clicky kik part, a sine from the Cyclebox. Sequences played from Rene sequencer. Also posting a full version of the piece here

Absolutely - Rubicon / Dixie / uFold / uMod. E560 can be used as a stand-alone sound source (in feedback mode) but more generally I use it as a seasoning in sound design. It's characterized by sometime fuzzy, crispy-frying textures, most noticeable in the warm surge towards the end of the piece. It's the kind of module that should interest anyone: for distinctive IDM glitching, or more subtly, to add dimension to a mix by providing an almost threshold level background\atmosphere on which to drop more foreground sounds. I use this module a lot!

Multi-tracked, but I think this is a good indication of the kinds of sounds you can get with the E560. Using the feedback facility, you can even use it as a stand alone sound source. Highly recommend this great module!

A multi-tracked yet 'naked' demo - E350 is the sole sound source for this piece, no filtering/EQ or compression/limiting

In case you're sitting on the fence on this one - here's a piece developed from a jam on the 2nd day I had this thing

Some amazing sonic possibilities - recommended!