Why this?
Oh wait --- April is coming up.

I guess you would have to make a new module entry such as "Blinds (new specs)" to reflect that.

hi. a quick search for pd in the mule db brings up these:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/browser?SearchName=Pure+data&SearchVendor=&SearchFunction=&SearchSecondaryfunction=&SearchHeight=&SearchTe=&SearchTemethod=max&SearchBuildtype=&SearchLifecycle=&SearchSet=all&SearchMarketplace=&SearchIsmodeled=0&SearchShowothers=0&order=newest&direction=asc

What is going on with (vintage??) Maths ???

I have seen all kinds of gear being declared vintage or rare over the last few years, to justify a higher price level. the latest i noticed was the vintage makenoise maths, with prices around 5/600 up to 900 and even 1100 ($ or €)

wtf??!! is it so much better than the newer and current model, to justify a price for used modules that is 2,3 or even 4 times the prce of a new Maths?

Am i missing something?
-- AS0leo

... to generate an irregular rhythm via the “arpeggiation rate” input, while maintaining the time signature via a MIDI clock....
-- Moogul

Hi Moogul, thanks for sharing, explaining every step on the way. Very instructive to us non-Easel-ers.
When I first read 'irregular rhythm' in your description I thought of loosely coupled motions as in Relabi -
but no, this stays on a tight grid. Not sure how much of an improvisation this is but It does have a strong sense of form.
I like the swaying back in forth between legato and staccato sections, especially. Very nice!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that :-)

First off, congrats on a gig in Japan!
As for two prong, it will give you floating ground. Some modules won't work correctly or not at all, with with a two prong power connector. You should be able to pre-flight check that with a two-pronged PSU. I use a two prong Toshiba notebook brick with a Tiptop uZEUS and Make Noise René doing all kind of weird things got me hopping mad.

No idea why the link is showing a weird half-empty rack. Click it and you should go to the real rack. Mods, any idea how to fix?
-- HGsynth

Edit your post and insert the link again?

The panel is easier to read and understand than the MN Maths.
-- Jobbey

My impression too.

John, not sure who you were addressing?

We means all of the Eurorack community. Bad wording, sorry my bad.
I do not speak for Random*Source (or any other manufacturer).
For any inquiries turn to the manufacturer please.

Pierpaolo is a great builder, I still have a uOc build by him from years ago and still works perfectly like day one!!!

-- dreamworks

His build quality is SOLID.
Never a problem in about half a dozen of his builds in years.

Right, Pierpaolo/RTFM is a great guy to deal with, know that from many occasions.

For individual outputs of the Res EQ bands: talk to Pierpaolo Cimino (username RTFM).
-- geusensdriesmusic

Thanks, that's interesting. Did he do that for you?

That would mean building 10 VCA's into the module, not an easy feat and that would be pretty expensive. I've never seen a VC ResEQ, but a fixed filter bank like Bark Filter or Fumana might be what you're after.
-- LYFoulidis

I have owned/checked out Antumbra Bank, ADDAC601, Ladik F-110, MMI 295, Moog-inger 914 and guess what - none sounds like the ResEQ. It is very non-linear, with a gnarly resonance where all the bands effect each other. An instrument rather than a processor. VC control would be essential for automating the movement of those knobs. I cannot move more than two of them, much less with any precision. So, no, there is no replacing the VC ResEQ.

Now we have a black panel for the ResEQ as preferred by some. The ResEQ has been around for quite a while. What I had hoped for is an expander module with CV over all the frequency bands. Add gate sequences and have fun! Much more exciting to me than any visuals ;-) I heard rumors that there is a 4u version of ResEQ with CV control. Anyone?

Food for thought:

Thread: Filter banks

Your attention has shifted. They have been selling their filter banks before.

Looking for a simple headphone output for my eurorack which I can also use as an audio output to my audio interface (Steinberg UR22C)

I've narrowed it down to the ALM HPO and the Joranalogue Transmit 2

Second hand I can get the HPO for £70 ($82) less than the Transmit 2

Would welcome advice on which one to get

I'm starting out and will principally be using it for headphones

Thanks!
-- MrMojoRisin

The HPO is the no-nonsense solution in a small rack and does a decent job for me.
More often I am using the Erica Pico OUT since I usually do monitoring on a set of 3.5 mm jack earphones and record on a pocket recorder at the same time. It's my go to for that scenario so I have one in all of my small cases.

With 1u the clearence for the rails is taken away from the long side of the module, e.g., you have less space to work with compared to a 3u, given the same size front plate. You cannot just give a 3u module a quarter turn and declare it a 1u, you will need a new layout to fit it in the narrow space. I guess that's why my 1u uO_C was so much more expensive than the 3u version. Moreover, the smaller the module the less functionality will fit in while much of the cost will not shrink accordingly.

I was thinking of a more or less self sufficient rack here. But given a special use case it does make sense, I can see that.

I have been toying with the idea of a 1u only rack for a while. And boy does it look cutesy. But let's face it: The bang for the buck in 1u is less compared to 3u so it's possibly not that good an idea.

How about a commemorative blank panel in honor of Dieter Doepfer?
He go the ball rolling after all.

No worries, it will run fine and will not blow any fuse. I'm actually running a similar case and a large ADDAC 901M on the same 16A circuit without problems.

like many modules posted recently this one is devoid of any data or description.
Do it right or leave it to others who do take the time.

Ah THAT thing ;-)
One thing that immediately put me off was the fact that the 2mm banana connectors do not fully insert into the jacks.
I can't help but figure how I snap those with my elbow. That's only me of course.

Here is a long talk from Hainbach with Prof. Bernd Ulmann, one of the project's initiators, and Hans Kulk of Willem Twee Studios. FF to 10:30 for appearance of the guests.

Filters -- don't get me started ;-). Had a Doepfer A-121 first and still have it. Does it all without much coloring.
Polaris - very versatile and a good and only one in a small rack. Selling mine was kinda dumb.

Most fav'd ones... Hard to say. Recently I use Blades a lot, for its versatility and dual use as a VCO. As far as character, I love my Doepfer Wasp and Bastl Cinnamon. Also, Steve's MS-22. Font is a good and versatile one.

On a more neutral perspective, Ripples is great. Toying with the idea of having a stereo version in my sum. Joranalogue Filter 8 is clean and precise and a 8-phase oscillator, too.

As for specialties, the Klangbau Köln Twin Peak Resonator is great, almost an instrument in itself. King of pings!
And last but not least, the mighty Serge Resonant Equalizer. Not a filter but a fixed filter bank - and a very opinionated one at that! Squelchy squealy feedback goodness, as those distorting filter bands interact which each other. Can it get any better?

Still interested to get my hands on a Three Sisters, North Coast Coiler and Leap Frog, as well as Moon Phase and Linnaeus (not so much the Morpheus). Keep hearing great things about IMÁGENES and Inertia as well as Neutron Flux (which seems to be deeep).

Right, filters. Don't get me started.
BTW, who needs oscillators when you can have filters that oscillate?
I should build a rack devoid of oscs.

Umm... I'll take a bath with that.

I have stackables. But I don't know about buying more of them. ... stacking them creates longer and longer levers...>

-- Ronin1973

Yes my concern too.
Other than that the sockets start to fail after some use.

For calculating paypal fees I use this: https://www.salecalc.com/paypal?p=100&l=us&r=0&e=0&f=0&m=2&c=0

As Mazz said, a envelope follower generates continuous CV from a signal you put into it by measuring its voltage. A common application is ducking or side chaining where one sound temporarily suppresses another to keep maximum presence. Like a kick supressing a bass line or a voice pushing back background music in a video.
Something like this:
ducking sound --> env follower --> inverter --> vca controlling ducked sound

>
...interesting power distribution discussion that happened in the 1st episode of Feed The Monster with Kim Bjorg and Ben Divkid where Chris Meyer explained issues and solutions for his big case (the whole series is pretty cool IMO). As a pre-made "humble" case, I didn't really have to consider the power issues, but feel for the people who do...

-- toodee

I'm thinking one of these
these
for GND in the big case.
And one for my anger management.
The 60 mm by 5 looks wieldy.

I'm kickin' their ass over here with my Z420 and Z620! Yeah, baybee...always good to know you've got superior firepower!
-- Lugia

It's not about the gear but what you do widdit.
Though I'm pretty sure yours has more VCAs ;-)
Be well.

Good call on the -1db Lugia. I actually find myself 'normalizing' to way less than that to achieve balance between samples. db values and perceived loudness are very different at times.

Yes normalize and process your samples in any way you see fit to get to sound them the way you like.

I am using a Olympus LS-P4. While it is not perfect it can go anywhere, has decent audio quality and supports FLAC. Got mine 2nd hand for like 75 EUR. While handling can be fiddly depending on what you do with it I would choose it again due to its miniature size.

A $199 Bode Frequency Shifter!?!?

Two for me please :-)
After shortly reviewing a Cwejman FSH-1 and a Sythesis Technology E560 I opted for the latter. Currently enjoying a Klangbau Köln variety after the E560 quit service. Analog ones are hairy to both design and maintain as it seems. Oskar Sala said his Frequenschieber had to recalibrated (frequently?). Digital ones avoid that problem but sound different.

Where would you mix your 10 or so audio channels?

Disting Mk 4 (from version 4.4?) supports one channel of CV quantizing with scala files.
Disting EX would do two channels.

Forgot Tubbutec uTune . No mention of scala but built-in scale editor and they mention future multi-channel support.

With more than one sequencer you will have new needs:
Means to combine 1VO CV like a precision adder/offset/octave switch as well as means to combine trigger streams like a logical OR. Also you will want a logic module and possibly a switch to derive new trigger patterns.

Just to notify that the Maths is now available for purchase new at Thomann, at €319.
I'm considering one myself, but given my decision-making speed, it'll probably be out of stock again by the time I do decide.
-- Mazz

Buy one, speculatively.
After completing that long and thorough decision process
still turn it around with minimal loss, if need be.

Alternatively, get a FranKinksTides and a 4ch mixing attenuverter and possibly save a bit.
(2cts)

You already got a sequencer right there. Send some conveniently spaced trigger and gates to MegaSlope, have those slopes quantized in your ADDAC207 and send its output to your sound source's 1V/O.

Very nice ModLifeCrisis, thanks for sharing.
How long did it take you, all in all?
-- wiggler55550

Hi, do you mean to make the video? Too long! I'm amazed by how long filming takes me. I'm using the most basic of basic equipment - an iPhone taped to a mic stand. The hardest thing is to get the framing right. It's a lot easier playing the ukulele. But in answer to your question - probably half a day, maybe a little more. Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing it, but at the moment it is giving my brain something to munge on so I'll carry on. :)

-- ModLifeCrisis

In the video it looks to me like all you see is what ever happened.
It looks casual in a good way, not produced. I like that.
The mark of quality I guess ;-)
So keep them coming.

Thread: 62 HP Idea

And the point of me telling you that is that I often look back and think I could have probably stopped at a mantis - but I wouldn't then have discovered video synthesis or DIY

-- JimHowell1970

;-))

Very nice ModLifeCrisis, thanks for sharing.
How long did it take you, all in all?

Umm, maybe you ask Dannysound to register as manufacturer at MG?

...You can usually get a good idea about the quality and reliability of very specific modules over on the MuffWiggler forum. I don't really think there are inherently good or bad manufacturers or modules.
I do tend to shy away from DIY modules that other individuals have built, probably unjustly. The clones I have gotten from After Later have been great, but I'm not sure I trust DIY from a random individual.
-- farkas

Yes to all of this.

I bought a few DIY modules that were faulty, in a non-obvious way. In most such cases I didn't research enough to have a clear idea of what to expect. There are a few respected builders here who deliver premium build quality. such as RTFM. No problem ever. On the other hand I bought a module from Russia that really looks home-made, rough and raw alu front plate with handwriting on it. And it, too, performs flawlessly since the day I got it.
Most problems I had came from a lack of research or bad judgement on my side.
Make sure to have buyer's protection if you are not sure if you trust a seller, DIY or not.

thanks for the suggestion Lugia,for now though i need to settle with a smaller module
-- Broken-Form

I find this 4R super useful. Doesn't look like much but has been in every patch since I got it so I'm looking to get a second one.

As Lugia suggested this too can be used to generate ramdom triggers.

it's never too late to learn!
-- JimHowell1970

:-)

mine either go in a ... in a heap by the modular...

-- JimHowell1970

Same here. It doesn't look pretty, it may not be smart but it works for me.

exactly - worst case scenario is you need some utilities to get everything to play nicely together - you could even use a couple of mults or stackcables and do both!!!

I've not seen many nonlinearcircuits modules around - I built a triple sloths which i use a lot - a nice easy smd build iirc - did you build it or buy it?
-- JimHowell1970

I use a precision adder like the Doepfer or T43 to combine the pitch voltages coming from the sequencers. Also, a couple of clock dividers (VC over factor is nice) and some logic and a switch/router to jumble things around.

I did not build my Bindubba, our own @RTFM did that.

To get back to the complex sequencer topic: For me a complex sequencer can be as simple as a 4-step sequencer with a reset jack (ok more than one). What makes it complex is what other modules are patched around it, and how.

...I'd use the euclidian circles to clock nearly everything including the sequencers!
-- JimHowell1970

Right. Erica didn't complain about my using their quad lane Pico Trigg trigger generator to drive the x and y clocks of my Bindubba sequencer (rather than their Pico drums ;-))